Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Today, I was arrested because

I had a cop tailgating me in the Miata, so I kept tapping the brake pedal to flash the lights. He pulls me after the 6th tap or so and we have a lengthly discussion about why he was an rear end in a top hat for tailgating, how he was going to write me a ticket for reckless driving, and how I was going to win in court after I showed the magistrate the dash cam footage from the cruiser that clearly demonstrated both his proximity to my rear bumper and the fact my speed did not suddenly change. He came back with no ticket. Maybe that's because I was right and he knew it or because he actually had a vacation in the next month he didn't want hosed up with a court date, but either way I won and got to ream him for being a dipshit.

Cops are just people. People do stupid poo poo, and if your stupidity endangers my life you can bet your rear end I'm going to let you know about it, given the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Beach Bum posted:

He pulls me after the 6th tap or so and we have a lengthly discussion about why he was an rear end in a top hat for tailgating, how he was going to write me a ticket for reckless driving, and how I was going to win in court after I showed the magistrate the dash cam footage from the cruiser that clearly demonstrated both his proximity to my rear bumper and the fact my speed did not suddenly change.

Tip - don't mention this if its your plan. If he had written you a ticket you can bet the first thing he'd do at the end of his shift is "accidentally" delete any footage his dashcam captured of the incident, and even if he didn't getting the department to cough up the footage might prove challenging.

Beach Bum posted:

Cops are just people. People do stupid poo poo, and if your stupidity endangers my life you can bet your rear end I'm going to let you know about it, given the chance.

Yeah, but unlike ordinary people they have legal immunity and can do any number of nasty things - up to and including killing you - with almost no risk of prosecution. You're playing with fire with that attitude.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
[http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/girl-trapped-between-two-cars-in-sydneys-north-west/news-story/c34e4821a9e8ad0db53ff9fdcc9a6572

I'll just leave this here

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

nitrogen posted:

I got video of the most amazing thing.

There's a lovely merge from US75 to Ross street. There's a feeder road that goes parallel and people go rather fast, so there's a "yield to ramp" sign for exiting traffic.

I am pretty sure i'm going to get creamed at this offramp on my bike or in my car one day.

BUT NOT TODAY! People actually stopped at the yield. I have video proof of people being good drivers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z0NiXX1SA8

I use a similar offramp from 635 to Abrams to get to work. Then I turn around on Abrams and take the opposite access road to get to my office, which includes the same yield setup. Mercifully they aren't terribly busy when I use them - but I think they're actually safer when the access roads are busy, because they tend to back up at the yield signs and it keeps speeds down coming up to the merge point.

I haven't witnessed an accident yet but it's only a matter of time, I'm sure.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wolrah posted:

Because that doesn't work. In the absence of strict enforcement people always end up driving at a speed they feel is appropriate for the road and conditions, regardless of the posted limit. That's why traffic engineering guidelines say to set the speed limits based on real world drivers.

A 75 MPH road is still a 75 MPH road even if you put 55 MPH signs on it. If you don't want people to go fast, don't build the roads smooth, straight, and wide.
Perhaps, but he did specify strict enforcement!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Uthor posted:

This is the model car you share a treadmill with.

https://twitter.com/OPCVC/status/778838710964002817/

Like the vid but ironic it comes from that stalwart of a rental company.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

wolrah posted:

Because that doesn't work. In the absence of strict enforcement people always end up driving at a speed they feel is appropriate for the road and conditions, regardless of the posted limit. That's why traffic engineering guidelines say to set the speed limits based on real world drivers.

A 75 MPH road is still a 75 MPH road even if you put 55 MPH signs on it. If you don't want people to go fast, don't build the roads smooth, straight, and wide.

And it's a double standard based on road types. On most roads that have a 50 km/h speed limit, 50 km/h is the maximum safe speed (or, arguably, faster than the maximum safe speed in the case of residential areas). Yet there are limited-access divided highways here that have limits of 80 km/h or 100 km/h when 120 km/h would be a perfectly safe speed to go under normal conditions. Speed limits should reflect the maximum safe speed that can be achieved on a road, they should not be set arbitrarily.

Glenmore Trail had an 80 km/h limit a decade ago when there were a whole bunch of stoplights along it -- yet now that there's not a single light between Sarcee Trail and someplace east of the Deerfoot exit, the speed limit is still 80 km/h along the entire length. You can't tell me that makes any kind of sense. Either the speed limit was unreasonably high before, or it's unreasonably low now.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Geoj posted:

Tip - don't mention this if its your plan. If he had written you a ticket you can bet the first thing he'd do at the end of his shift is "accidentally" delete any footage his dashcam captured of the incident, and even if he didn't getting the department to cough up the footage might prove challenging.

Yeah, but unlike ordinary people they have legal immunity and can do any number of nasty things - up to and including killing you - with almost no risk of prosecution. You're playing with fire with that attitude.

With the use of the word magistrate I would guess its not the US, so maybe the cop would actually be held responsible. Maybe.

On the other hand,

Beach Bum posted:

I had a cop tailgating me in the Miata, so I kept tapping the brake pedal to flash the lights. He pulls me after the 6th tap or so and we have a lengthly discussion about why he was an rear end in a top hat for tailgating, how he was going to write me a ticket for reckless driving, and how I was going to win in court after I showed the magistrate the dash cam footage from the cruiser that clearly demonstrated both his proximity to my rear bumper and the fact my speed did not suddenly change. He came back with no ticket. Maybe that's because I was right and he knew it or because he actually had a vacation in the next month he didn't want hosed up with a court date, but either way I won and got to ream him for being a dipshit.

You weren't in the passing/inner lane were you? Because maybe the cop was tired of you chilling in the passing lane and just wanted to waste your time. Which I am all for and think it should happen more often. Unfortunately, all I ever see are the CHiPs tailgate until the person moves over and then the CHiP goes back to 90+.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

El Jebus posted:

With the use of the word magistrate I would guess its not the US, so maybe the cop would actually be held responsible. Maybe.

The one time I had a ticket with a mandatory court appearance it was with a magistrate. They're a level above "Justice of the Peace" in some states according to wiki.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Yup, its not terribly uncommon in larger jurisdictions with high volumes of traffic cases to have an appointed magistrate oversee traffic court rather than tying down an elected judge.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I honked at an old man today. I didn't know he was an old man, I saw a car packed on the curb in front of the door of the grocery store with his hazards on. This was causing some major traffic problems in this shopping center so I came up behind on him and held the horn until he eventually moved on.

He was probably waiting for his wife but man you are making a bad situation even worse, just circle the lot or double park in an auxiliary lane.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Almost at a Challenger coming home because of idiots that stop and leave gaps encouraging people to blindly cross 3 lanes of traffic, and idiots that do it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Presented without comment

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
finally a pickup truck owner using it for its intended purpose

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

finally a pickup truck owner using it for its intended purpose

Looks more like a dump truck to me.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

El Jebus posted:

You weren't in the passing/inner lane were you? Because maybe the cop was tired of you chilling in the passing lane and just wanted to waste your time. Which I am all for and think it should happen more often. Unfortunately, all I ever see are the CHiPs tailgate until the person moves over and then the CHiP goes back to 90+.

This was in town on a 35mph five lane, me in the right lane doing 40 with traffic passing left. Thus why I didn't take a lick of poo poo off the guy. The vibe I got was that he didn't like anyone "telling him what to do" and wanted to swing his dick at the humble, timid citizen.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 7, 2016

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
When somebody only flashes their signal once when they've already merged halfway into the small gap in front of you do they honestly think this is an appropriate amount of indicating or are they just mocking you at that point?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Murphys Law posted:

When somebody only flashes their signal once when they've already merged halfway into the small gap in front of you do they honestly think this is an appropriate amount of indicating or are they just mocking you at that point?

Don't worry, they probably accidentally ham-handed the blinker stalk while turning. There isn't much room for a fat hand between the back of the steering wheel and the stalk.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

TotalLossBrain posted:

Don't worry, they probably accidentally ham-handed the blinker stalk while turning. There isn't much room for a fat hand between the back of the steering wheel and the stalk.

Put a candy bar wrapper on that fucker and they'll never stop using it

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Murphys Law posted:

People will actually hit their signal once before merging? That's better than the poo poo I encounter on a daily basis. I have no qualms letting people over if they signal and are a little patient, but apparently using your indicator to, uh... indicate is just not cool anymore.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Some loving jackwagon floored it to wedge himself in between me and the truck I was following, then flipped me off out the window. I had actually made space for him and was about to flick my high beams when he did this.

I mean OKAY if you want to be a flaming douchebag when I was being nice fine, gently caress you too rear end in a top hat I hope you step on a used needle tonight.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

People will actually hit their signal once before merging? That's better than the poo poo I encounter on a daily basis. I have no qualms letting people over if they signal and are a little patient, but apparently using your indicator to, uh... indicate is just not cool anymore.

In my experience the single signal always happens during merging, not before. It's a half-assed attempt to let you know what they are already doing. I haven't decided yet if this annoys me more than not signalling at all.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you signal too far in advance, sometimes the car behind will speed up to try and block you. So yeah, i only give it like 2-3 flashes.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My new favorite thing is people on facebook who are SO ANGRY about how other people drive that they, while themself driving, whip out their phone to photograph the license plate of the person they felt was going too fast/slow/close/far/brown, then post about it. Then flame out when reminded that a phone use while driving ticket is bigger than one for whatever they're raging about.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Murphys Law posted:

In my experience the single signal always happens during merging, not before. It's a half-assed attempt to let you know what they are already doing. I haven't decided yet if this annoys me more than not signalling at all.

Oh, I see worse all the time. Folks in a dedicated and protected turn lane without a blinker on that will turn the blinker on when the light to turn goes green and they're in the intersection.

I had no idea you were turning! Thanks for the update!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Are you supposed to use your blinker in a dedicated turn lane? It's been so long since drivers Ed and I've pondered the question for a while, but not hard enough to Google it and read through the handbook to figure it out. Depending on the area, sometimes I use the blinker if I'm the first car up just so opposing traffic knows which way I'm headed and that I'm not going to do the dipshit thing where people get into the left turn only lane and then just go straight through the intersection.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Are you supposed to use your blinker in a dedicated turn lane? It's been so long since drivers Ed and I've pondered the question for a while, but not hard enough to Google it and read through the handbook to figure it out. Depending on the area, sometimes I use the blinker if I'm the first car up just so opposing traffic knows which way I'm headed and that I'm not going to do the dipshit thing where people get into the left turn only lane and then just go straight through the intersection.
Always use it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Do you mean a lane that actually separates from the rest of the road in question and then ends with a yield or a dedicated lane after a right turn? In that case, I do not use a signal if I'm already in the proper lane, given that continuing straight would be a physical impossibility -- it's essentially a must-exit, except from a road instead of a highway. If it's a dedicated turn lane that's beside all the other lanes, but has a sign indicating that you must turn either left or right, then I signal both to confirm to people that I'm aware I must turn, and to show other directions of traffic who may not know it's a dedicated turning lane which direction I'm going.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

PT6A posted:

Do you mean a lane that actually separates from the rest of the road in question and then ends with a yield or a dedicated lane after a right turn? In that case, I do not use a signal if I'm already in the proper lane, given that continuing straight would be a physical impossibility -- it's essentially a must-exit, except from a road instead of a highway. If it's a dedicated turn lane that's beside all the other lanes, but has a sign indicating that you must turn either left or right, then I signal both to confirm to people that I'm aware I must turn, and to show other directions of traffic who may not know it's a dedicated turning lane which direction I'm going.

Even if going straight appears to be a physical impossibility, you should use your turn signals to let nearby drivers know that you are paying attention and aware that you are going to turn.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

EightBit posted:

Even if going straight appears to be a physical impossibility, you should use your turn signals to let nearby drivers know that you are paying attention and aware that you are going to turn.
This. Just yesterday I was in the outside lane of of a dual left turning lane intersection. Mine was left/straight his was left only. He wasn't signalling but since it's left turn only I thought chucklefuck just forgot to signal. Light turns green, we start to go and I start turning. He goes straight, over into my lane almost sideswiping me in the progress.

e: Pretty sure Alberta dictates use of a signals whenever you are turning with no differentiation given for "turn only" lanes or anything.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 7, 2016

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't think there are any states or municipalities that exempt you from using your signal when turning, even in a dedicated lane. If there are any, there are probably very few.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Protocol7 posted:

I don't think there are any states or municipalities that exempt you from using your signal when turning, even in a dedicated lane. If there are any, there are probably very few.

That may be relevant in the event any such state or municipality decides to start enforcing proper turning signal usage.

Haha. The cops around here don't use signals, either.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

PT6A posted:

No, I'm not talking about a jughandle kind of turn, I'm just talking about your regular two/three lane intersection where the left lane is left turn only. I got the answer to my question, though!

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Failing to signal should come with a very hefty fine, and then license suspension for repeat offenders. It is the most heinous of the cardinal sins of driving.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

N is for Nipples posted:

Failing to signal should come with a very hefty fine, and then license suspension for repeat offenders. It is the most heinous of the cardinal sins of driving.

+1. One day our hyperefficient cars will all talk to each other and compare itineraries and routes and co-optimize their paths, but until then, we still need all you mouth-breathing fucks to wiggle that little stalk on your steering column so I know you aren't going to paste me into the guard rail with your oversized SUV.[/pre-rush-hour-rant]

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You must signal the direction before giving any input to the steering wheel.

Car makers should create a new "no turn signal" which indicates at all times the turn signal is not.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

carry on then posted:

You must signal the direction before giving any input to the steering wheel.

Car makers should create a new "no turn signal" which indicates at all times the turn signal is not.

I will hack my steering wheel to activate my turn signal beyond 10 degrees from center, don't play.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

slidebite posted:

This. Just yesterday I was in the outside lane of of a dual left turning lane intersection. Mine was left/straight his was left only. He wasn't signalling but since it's left turn only I thought chucklefuck just forgot to signal. Light turns green, we start to go and I start turning. He goes straight, over into my lane almost sideswiping me in the progress.

I once was a jerkwad in that kind of intersection. I didn't realize oncoming traffic had two turn lanes. Normally the lights are staggered and you don't turn past each other, but this time the power went out and the signals were flashing red stops. The person across from me was in the outside turn-or-go-straight lane and I assumed she was going straight, so I also start to go. Oops, she's turning, I brake and get pissed, then continue and see the dual turn lane sign from the other direction. Sorry, lady!

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
box truck in left lane
20 under traffic flow
rot in hell, dipshit

It was on a 3 lane, 2.65 mile (just looked it up) bridge over Tampa Bay (the bayside, if any locals are curious). People regularly do 80+, and traffic usually flows ~70ish since theres no way for cops to sneak up on you while you're on this bridge. This chucklefuck was doing 50 in the left lane, and steadfastly refused to move even as literally 5 cars passed his dumb rear end.:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

box truck in left lane
20 under traffic flow
rot in hell, dipshit

It was on a 3 lane, 2.65 mile (just looked it up) bridge over Tampa Bay (the bayside, if any locals are curious). People regularly do 80+, and traffic usually flows ~70ish since theres no way for cops to sneak up on you while you're on this bridge. This chucklefuck was doing 50 in the left lane, and steadfastly refused to move even as literally 5 cars passed his dumb rear end.:mad:

Gandy? I love that bridge. Not as fun/scary as the Howard Franklin though.