Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think I might step into this thread for a little bit. I write desktop software and web apps for a living, and know my way around C#, PHP, and Javascript. I'd like to learn how to make Chrome extensions, but I don't have any decent ideas for a project. If anybody has a simple and/or dumb chrome extension that they'd like to see exist, I will see what I can do. I can also make some windows apps or web stuff for y'all, but my priority here is Chrome extensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Went way far back in the thread looking for something that never got fulfilled and that I wanted.

I'd like a chrome extension/app that watches different sites every 30seconds/1min for HTTP 200 status. It doesn't have to be pretty. Must handle redirects.
Bonus points:
- in the event of a page not loading, check more frequently.
- all sites fit on page without scrolling
Hyper Combo:
- User defined words can cause different status (ie; I see the word maintenance, be an orange box)
- chart status over course of the day on mouseover
Combo Breaker Hyperpoints:
- accept outside ajax requests to create/update boxes

Concept:

I did something similar but started running into blocking/wait issues when watching 20+ sites. Haven't got around to re-writing it in Javascript.
Can definitely rustle up :20bux: if that would take more than an afternoon.

Inspired by:

Hoborg posted:

Documentation:

The sites you add will be automatically saved on application close and reloaded on startup (they're saved to a folder called "Monitors" within the directory you launched the program from within).

The UI is simple: the main window lists all active site monitors. Click 'add' to create a new one and enter the details in the popup form. You can specify 3 actions too: run a program, play a sound, and send an email. If an error occurs you'll get a messagebox rather than the application crashing. The program is multithreaded and won't lock up your box whilst it does anything.

Enjoy: http://bit.ly/mivMXz

(the PDB files are for debugging purposes, if anything wrong happens; so send me a PM or reply in this thread if there are any problems).

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 24, 2016

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Chunjee posted:

Went way far back in the thread looking for something that never got fulfilled and that I wanted.

I'd like a chrome extension/app that watches different sites every 30seconds/1min for HTTP 200 status. It doesn't have to be pretty. Must handle redirects.
Bonus points:
Hyper Combo:
- User defined words can cause different status (ie; I see the word maintenance, be an orange box)

Concept:

I did something similar but started running into blocking/wait issues when watching 20+ sites. Haven't got around to re-writing it in Javascript.

Inspired by:

Just going to chime in that the appropriate thing to do if a site is down is to check /less/ frequently, so as to avoid over congestion.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

gary oldmans diary posted:

How did it sort them?
Incidentally, I wish I still had the app that separated static and animated GIFs.
I think it just showed you them one by one and moved them based on a key you pressed.

IIRC I made that GIF program, I'll try to see if it's still around somewhere.

Oops, forgot about this, sorry :D

Yes this was me, you can get the GIF thing here: http://mobby6kl.nfshost.com/apps/gif.rar

Just run the exe with two arguments for folders where the static and animated gifs would be moved, and it will go through the gifs in its directory. I don't recall how exactly I came up with that identification method but it's not perfect and there are a few incorrect classifications, but shouldn't be too many.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

leper khan posted:

Just going to chime in that the appropriate thing to do if a site is down is to check /less/ frequently, so as to avoid over congestion.

This is free and does what you want I think: http://www.spiceworks.com/free-network-troubleshooting-tool/

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I did not like their desktop application at all and this seems to just be a web portal to view what the desktop application is finding. Maybe monitoring sites is new to that tool. But it would end up looking like:

https://uptimerobot.com/ is better but still not perfect for what I'm wanting. Though If I work with their API long enough I could probably get the GUI I want.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
It's a crime when such a status app is only usable in full window mode instead of making use of the system tray.

mobby_6kl posted:

Oops, forgot about this, sorry :D

Yes this was me, you can get the GIF thing here: http://mobby6kl.nfshost.com/apps/gif.rar

Just run the exe with two arguments for folders where the static and animated gifs would be moved, and it will go through the gifs in its directory. I don't recall how exactly I came up with that identification method but it's not perfect and there are a few incorrect classifications, but shouldn't be too many.
Thanks, man! This is the thread that keeps on giving -again! Giving-er.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 25, 2016

Read
Dec 21, 2010

fattredd posted:

There was an app posted somewhere in here that was a self contained text encryption file. Any saved text would generate a new encrypted exe with the text in it.

Anybody have a copy of it/know where it is? I just spent like 20 min Ctrl-F ing all 70 pages and can't find it.

Are you talking about this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2415898&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post341696447

That's the only thing I could find seaching this forum for intitle:"custom app" encryption

But I can't remember if the search includes archives or not, so maybe that's why I couldn't find it.

Chunjee posted:

I use a vertical taskbar but lately it fills up with things and then I have to start flipping between two pages. I'd like to get a 2nd row of icons but so far this doesn't seem possible for vanilla Windows 7.

You can make the taskbar wider; but the icons just get wider. I want a separate column; Ideally without any text.

You might want to turn on window grouping, so multiple instances of a program take up one spot?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm looking for a software solution to listen for a specific sound clip, and if detected perform another action such as open a file.

This isn't a "tiny" app by any means from a programming standpoint, I just wonder if something like this is already out there. Googling is coming up dry.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Should it be listening for a sound file on your hard drive being played by another program? If so, you could see if the last access timestamp changes when it plays.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

gary oldmans diary posted:

Should it be listening for a sound file on your hard drive being played by another program? If so, you could see if the last access timestamp changes when it plays.

The sound file itself, a sound effect in a game, is in an archive with others and might even be playing from memory. Good idea though.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
It would probably be easier to use Cheat Engine to detect the event that triggers the sound to play than to identify a sound from the audio. Then, have it execute whatever command you like.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 24, 2016

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Heran Bago posted:

I'm looking for a software solution to listen for a specific sound clip, and if detected perform another action such as open a file.

This isn't a "tiny" app by any means from a programming standpoint, I just wonder if something like this is already out there. Googling is coming up dry.

If this is a game I have I might be able to look for the trigger. What game and what event? Otherwise I might be able to make something that monitors the system audio out. What OS?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jo posted:

If this is a game I have I might be able to look for the trigger. What game and what event? Otherwise I might be able to make something that monitors the system audio out. What OS?

Oh wow. I was thinking in Overwatch for Windows when hitting an enemy. Normally it makes this small fizzy noise like a drink being opened that gets really hard to hear over the din. I would probably change it to Quake 3 Arena or Space Invaders hitsound if I could. I would be open to using Cheat engine too.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 7, 2016

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

I would be open to using Cheat engine too.

This will probably get you banned.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Yeah, even if you made something like a passive trainer to accomplish this, using Cheat Engine to make that tool would be risking a VAC ban.

...Maybe if you had a spare (or virtual) PC and Overwatch has an offline mode with bots, you could install it on that PC, install Cheat Engine on that PC, physically disconnect that PC from the network, make the tool, and uninstall Steam before reconnecting that PC to the network. Then Steam couldn't very well have an opportunity to VAC ban you at all.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
I wonder if someone could help me with this excel file please?

What i'd like is a new button that copies a selected row from the Proposal Priority List tab and puts the relevant data (Sales Manager, Proposal Engineer, Project Number, Project Name, Submission Type, Business Sector, ITT Receipt Date, Due Date) into a new row under the Current Projects section of the Forecast Projects tab.

http://bit.ly/2hN90Jb

I'm happy to pay for it if it's a great deal of work. I've had a brief look at the existing code and it's a bit of a mess so I don't know how to execute what I want without messing up what's already there.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Chunjee posted:

Bonus points:
Hyper Combo:

Concept:

Inspired by:

This coincides a bit with some things I'd been looking to mess with and already know, but I'm mostly proficient with java/c and this seems like something that requires either a background process or a server running it in order to do stuff like chart status.

If you're doing it on a desktop or something, I can probably throw together an applet or something that does what you want. Probably including the hyper combo poo poo.

Edit: I'm a dumbass who assumes things on the last page of threads are from the last week or two. If you still want this poo poo feel free to bug me via PM

Felime fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 14, 2017

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I'm still interested in that. Did some patchwork on my existing monitor but it can still get tripped up if too much wait time is introduced, a flaw in the original design that would be difficult to replace.

Several people pointed out the problem with "- in the event of a page not loading, check more frequently." to which I agree somewhat. I'd like to check each site or service every 30seconds/1min. During troubleshooting however, one min is a long time to wait.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Chunjee posted:

Bonus points:
Hyper Combo:

Concept:

Inspired by:

Why does it need to be a Chrome extension? This looks to be exactly what tools like nagios (mrtg and others) have been created for . Is there a particular reason? For the "accept outside ajax requests to create/update boxes" requirement it pretty much requires it to be a desktop application as you cannot (or shouldn't) listen on a socket from an extension.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

deadly_pudding was originally wanting to do a chrome extension and taking suggestions. Any approach works for me.

deadly_pudding posted:

I think I might step into this thread for a little bit. I write desktop software and web apps for a living, and know my way around C#, PHP, and Javascript. I'd like to learn how to make Chrome extensions, but I don't have any decent ideas for a project. If anybody has a simple and/or dumb chrome extension that they'd like to see exist, I will see what I can do. I can also make some windows apps or web stuff for y'all, but my priority here is Chrome extensions.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Chunjee posted:

I'm still interested in that. Did some patchwork on my existing monitor but it can still get tripped up if too much wait time is introduced, a flaw in the original design that would be difficult to replace.

Several people pointed out the problem with "- in the event of a page not loading, check more frequently." to which I agree somewhat. I'd like to check each site or service every 30seconds/1min. During troubleshooting however, one min is a long time to wait.

Yeah, I'll start taking a look and formalizing up my architecture. I was just going to add a "Check now" button. This will certainly take me longer than someone more experienced, as I've mostly forgotten what little I learned about coding GUIs and I'm pretty rusty on everything else. Getting back into it and relearning/building up some projects to show off. (Though the basic poo poo will probably only take an afternoon of solid work)

That said, I had a couple questions that are likely to come up as I move on:

are 301/30X code redirects the only ones it needs to handle? or does it need to work with HTML refresh redirects as well?

with user defined words, do you mean just in the status message? or anywhere on the site?

And, finally, I don't know jackshit about AJAX, so the last request will probably be pretty hard.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Chunjee posted:

deadly_pudding was originally wanting to do a chrome extension and taking suggestions. Any approach works for me.

Ah, ok. So, i did a bit of fiddling with this, as I wanted to try out a couple of new c++ libraries (crow http and MS PPL). The source-code and the first release are available at https://github.com/sa55231/WebMonitoring. The direct URL for this release is https://github.com/sa55231/WebMonitoring/releases/download/v0.1/WebMonitoring.zip .

It is a 64bit windows service, which provides a web server available at port 18080 (therefore http://localhost:18080/ will work, as well as [url]http://[/url]<my local ip>:18080/). I'm not sure how new of a windows requires, but anything newer than Vista should be fine.
In the readme on github I provided some basic documentation of how to get it up and going.

Things that will come in the future:
- Historical graph
- Speed up requests when the site does not provide a success status. At the moment it checks at 60 seconds interval, no matter what.

On my local machine, using the release build, it uses 40MB of RAM when monitoring 117 sites. It should be relatively ok with quite a few more. For any bugs (of which Im sure there are many) or feature requests, open up and issue on github and i'll do my best to make it happen.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Chunjee posted:

Anybody can step in on this one. I ended up getting swamped at work like the week I volunteered for this, so I haven't done more than like research :shobon:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Looks incredible Volguus. Thanks!

But I can't seem to add sites even after trying 3 different request sending apps, I keep getting 400 (Bad Request) or similar. Haven't tried curl yet though.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
That's strange. I installed it here at work (had to change the user that the service is running under to Localsystem since Network Service was simply not allowed to do anything, thanks IT) and seems to work. Granted, I am using Firefox and a RestClient extension for it, but I tried chrome and Advanced Rest Client extension, and that worked too.
What extension are you using? Though I can't imagine the extension itself being the problem, I mean they all should work in the same way....

Try giving the service Local System permissions (look at the code, it's not doing anything fancy). Or, if you want to just run it as a console application as the user you're logged in, you can delete the %PROGRAMDATA%\webmon folder and start it from a console window as "WebMonitoring.exe -run". The %PROGRAMDATA%\webmon folder contains the sqlite database the application is using.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Running it with my local user seemed to work.

However I'm already not understanding how its getting error 500 on two of the main urls I watch. My understanding is they are behind a redirect.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Chunjee posted:

Running it with my local user seemed to work.

However I'm already not understanding how its getting error 500 on two of the main urls I watch. My understanding is they are behind a redirect.

It does follow redirects, as a http://google.com/ URL demonstrates (that one just redirects to local site then to https://google.com/). I tried your url's and they do work for me:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Those do not match my urls.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Chunjee posted:

Those do not match my urls.

Hah, you're right, my bad. Fixed those and the correct ones work as well. http://imgur.com/a/X0Efh

Try to run it as LocalSystem to just eliminate that possibility. If that works then it means that there is some permission problem which needs to be addressed, but at least I can look into it with that knowledge. I'm not comfortable with it running as LocalSystem, as it does listen on a port and that's not secure no matter how you look at it, but at least gives me a starting point. Nothing else works for you (google?).

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Google works for me. As does Example.com

I'll try it at home tonight.
edit: Local System Account didn't change the outcome at my workplace.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 17, 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Chunjee posted:

That's strange. They do work from the browser, normally, right?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Chunjee posted:

I was able to replicate the problem in a windows 7 VM (IE11, provided by microsoft to developers). The exact error is WINHTTP_CALLBACK_STATUS_FLAG_SECURITY_CHANNEL_ERROR: The application experienced an internal error loading the SSL libraries. There's something wonky with either the client OS or the certificate (as google seems to be fine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheradenine
May 29, 2009
I'm looking to have a custom sensor created for PRTG - https://www.paessler.com/prtg Anyone feel up to it? It'd be a paying gig; PM me if you want more info.

• Locked thread