Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Alright, rinsed it again with warm soapy water and made some more feed adjustments, and now it flows better and can at least be used as a pen. Thanks for the tips. It's not a bad pen now, but the flex part definitely seems drastically oversold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just received my Lamy 2000 with extra fine nib. It's wonderful and doesn't have any nib issues, but I realized I'd probably be happier with a medium. If any goons have a medium 2000 they're willing to trade for a brand new EF 2000, shoot me a PM.

Posting this reminds me that I need to change my name back. I can't go through my posting life having a name that makes me think of post-hardcore bands all the time

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Vac 700 confirmed discontinued in all forms.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Kessel posted:

Vac 700 confirmed discontinued in all forms.

Confirmed by whom?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Great Revolution Shanghai Hero Pen Company appears to have possibly discovered TWSBI.

While not an actual blatant knockoff, it was clearly inspired by a product from the rogue province across the strait. It appears to have a better designed section than the Diamond series, since it doesn't use a flimsy nib unit as a structural piece.

Edit: The nib sure looks like the ones on the chinese-made 78G, so the pen is probably compatible with the small/cheap pilot nib family.

Rudeboy Detective fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 5, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Neat, next time I get paid I might get one (for science)

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

Neat, next time I get paid I might get one (for science)

I'd wait until more than one seller stocks them. JewelryMathematics always seems to ratchet his prices down when sellers that don't live next door to the Hero factory start stocking the new things.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

My Man Shran posted:

Great Revolution Shanghai Hero Pen Company appears to have possibly discovered TWSBI.

While not an actual blatant knockoff, it was clearly inspired by a product from the rogue province across the strait. It appears to have a better designed section than the Diamond series, since it doesn't use a flimsy nib unit as a structural piece.

Edit: The nib sure looks like the ones on the chinese-made 78G, so the pen is probably compatible with the small/cheap pilot nib family.

Huh. That's actually pretty damned cool. I like the 78g copy that I bought, and $21 for a double-sealed piston design is a pretty good price.

Also there's a converter filled with silicone grease for some reason. I guess that's cheaper than a little bottle?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Trip report for my newly-arrived Nemosine Singularity .6mm stub:

The nib is very smooth! The stub is a little less pronounced than I'd like, but it's definitely a stub. A touch on the dry side, which I'm fine with.

The nib/feed/converter system needed some help. After flushing, I couldn't get it to draw in any ink. Reseated the converter with force, and it was fine. (If it spins, it's too loose to draw, btw.) Then I had it dropping giant globs of ink. I couldn't get the feed out to reseat it, so I used force: I pressed the nib/feed (safely!) down as I held the (body-less) pen against my desk. I pressed until I felt something move. Luckily there was no damage done, and whatever had been mis-seated in the nib/feed/converter system righted itself.

It writes pretty nicely now. The aqua demonstrator is a great match for turquoise inks, too-- right now I have Waterman Inspired Blue in it.

For $20 it's a decent pen. I'd still recommend a Metro before it to a newbie, but it's a fun way to get a #6 .6mm stub without going custom ground. (I might have to buy a separate nib for my Jinhao x750 if I can't ever get this feed out.)

effika fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 6, 2016

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Posted a bit back about brass pens and I'm beginning to think about picking up a llilliput. I know they cant take coverters is using a syringe annoying? Does anyone have one they like or hate and wouldn't mind reviewing a bit here?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

engaged to be buried posted:

I just received my Lamy 2000 with extra fine nib. It's wonderful and doesn't have any nib issues, but I realized I'd probably be happier with a medium. If any goons have a medium 2000 they're willing to trade for a brand new EF 2000, shoot me a PM.

Lamy offers a nib exchange service for new pens.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

effika posted:

Trip report for my newly-arrived Nemosine Singularity .6mm stub:

The nib is very smooth! The stub is a little less pronounced than I'd like, but it's definitely a stub. A touch on the dry side, which I'm fine with.

The nib/feed/converter system needed some help. After flushing, I couldn't get it to draw in any ink. Reseated the converter with force, and it was fine. (If it spins, it's too loose to draw, btw.) Then I had it dropping giant globs of ink. I couldn't get the feed out to reseat it, so I used force: I pressed the nib/feed (safely!) down as I held the (body-less) pen against my desk. I pressed until I felt something move. Luckily there was no damage done, and whatever had been mis-seated in the nib/feed/converter system righted itself.

It writes pretty nicely now. The aqua demonstrator is a great match for turquoise inks, too-- right now I have Waterman Inspired Blue in it.

For $20 it's a decent pen. I'd still recommend a Metro before it to a newbie, but it's a fun way to get a #6 .6mm stub without going custom ground. (I might have to buy a separate nib for my Jinhao x750 if I can't ever get this feed out.)

Thanks for the write up. I just ordered one - a .6 stub sounds fun.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

atholbrose posted:

Lamy offers a nib exchange service for new pens.

I'll have to look into that, thanks!

ZeusCannon posted:

Posted a bit back about brass pens and I'm beginning to think about picking up a llilliput. I know they cant take coverters is using a syringe annoying? Does anyone have one they like or hate and wouldn't mind reviewing a bit here?

quick and dirty review incoming. sorry for the pics, I was trying to get some pics quickly while the kid was napping.

I refill using a syringe and I don't have any problems with it. The ink seems to last awhile with this thing. Overall, I love it. It's lived in my pocket for the last few months and it just keeps looking better and better as it's worn in. In the beginning there was a slight baby's bottom issue, but I just kept writing with it and it worked itself out.

fake edit: jesus imgur is getting to be a pain in the rear end to use

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Pixelante posted:

Confirmed by whom?

The dealer for Twsbi in Singapore, who has a very good working relationship with them. He says the 700 has disappeared completely from next year's price list and will be removed from production.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kessel posted:

The dealer for Twsbi in Singapore, who has a very good working relationship with them. He says the 700 has disappeared completely from next year's price list and will be removed from production.

I Just checked, and it's not on the website in their product catalog. The most popular sizes, fine and extra fine, are out of stock at Goulet as well.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just got some syringes. Are there any kinds of cartridges that I have to be careful with? I noticed that moving a pilot cartridge from pen to pen had it leaking from not being a good fit, but that was from one pen to another so maybe it was that. Ideally should I be able to just fill up cartridges as many times as I want so long as they are in the correct pens or should I be wary of some brands, amount of times used or anything?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cartridges will eventually wear out from continual use - you'll get stress cracks around the opening. At that point they should be tossed.

The exception to this is Pilot cartridges - they are extremely tough. I've got a cartridge I've been refilling for close to two years now and it still works and seals perfectly.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the only time I've thrown away pilot carts was when I got too lazy to wash them

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Kessel posted:

One of my buddies likes the Vac so I asked TWSBI.

TWSBI rep posted:

We are simply too slow on catching up with demand. We have many pens in the works at the moment, Vac700 restocking kind of took a back seat, but there will be more.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

rio posted:

Thanks for the write up. I just ordered one - a .6 stub sounds fun.

Be careful about the threads, I hear they crack and tend to go loose the way they are set up. I ended up buying the fusion or whatever since it was more durable. The 0.6mm nemosyme nib is definitely excellent though.

grack posted:

The exception to this is Pilot cartridges - they are extremely tough. I've got a cartridge I've been refilling for close to two years now and it still works and seals perfectly.

Yep, I've been doing the same. They do crack and go weak though so I do toss them out earlier than I should. Less chance of mold too I guess.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Update: found the VP Fine to be much smoother than the Lamy 2000 EF.

VP Fine has pilot cartridge ink. Lamy has old man winter iroshizuku.

So what drives the difference in writing? How would I know for a future pen if it will write more like the VP? Is there something I can research on this?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Update: found the VP Fine to be much smoother than the Lamy 2000 EF.

VP Fine has pilot cartridge ink. Lamy has old man winter iroshizuku.

So what drives the difference in writing? How would I know for a future pen if it will write more like the VP? Is there something I can research on this?

Well, here are some random thoughts.

-EF vs. F.

-Here and elsewhere, I read that the Lamy 2000 has a very small sweet spot. I am just now getting used to it on mine (a F nib). It is only a couple of weeks old and when I hit it, it is sweet for sure. It is not *bad* elsewhere, but there is a pretty pronounced difference when I hit the sweet spot. I hold my pen pretty traditionally and I have to slightly adjust my grip and write a bit more vertically than I am used to to hit that spot.

-ink...I know this is sacrilege but I have had really great experience from Pilot cartridge inks. I got a pack of 12 different colors and although they don't have a ton of depth, they are vivid and write like a motherfucker. Really, really smooth and consistent. I got a F Vanishing Point and a F Falcon from a goon, which both seemed to have been very well taken care of, so since they are broken in it is not the same as if it were new, but in the Falcon I have tried Diamine, Iroshizuku and a cartridge of orange Pilot ink - the cartridge vastly outperformed them all. I was really surprised. I didn't keep it in the pen because it didn't have the depth or shading that I was looking for when flexing the nib, but man was it smooth and consistent. I would be curious if you put a converter in your Vanishing point and used the same ink in both to hear what your impressions were.

Regarding how to find out if it will write like a Vanishing Point? Get more Pilot pens. I not have 2 metropolitans, 2 penmanships (one of the nibs and feeds now swapped to a metropolitan and that swapped back to the penmanship), a VP and a Falcon and they all wrote really, really well. I now have 19 pens, some cheap and some not so cheap and there are certainly better writers and worse writers but the Pilots are just very consistent and all very nice to write with, whether they are cheap steel nibs or nice gold ones.

One more thing about the Lamy - I have also read from more than one person that because of the small sweet spot (after writing doodles on cardboard and paper bags for a while to see if that sorts anything out in terms of smoothness) that people take it to have the nib worked on and it makes a pretty profound difference. I am not so dissatisfied with mine that I am running out to do that, but if I were to go to a pen show I would be tempted to take the 2000 with me and possibly have some work done on it, just to see if it made a difference. But, again, it is a new pen so I would not consider doing that until I really feel like it is broken in, and since you have an EF I don't know if the comparison can be made since I have not tried one on a 2000. If I were to just make a Pilot vs. lamy EF comparison I would have to compare my EF Safari and the EF Penmanship, and although the Safari is a solid writer I think in terms of performance and ease of writing I would choose the penmanship (even if the I do like the feel of holding the Safari more).

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Appreciate the perspective!

I had read that the Lamy EF was equivalent to a Pilot F - hence why I went with the EF. I will see if I can break it in a bit more and work on finding that sweet spot. I haven't given it much of a chance yet so I'll put it through its paces today.

Also - the Lamy is really well built. I was looking for the seam to work the piston and couldn't find it. Decided to just turn the end anyway, and boom - there was the seam. It disappears once the piston is closed back up! Really fantastic workmanship.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
yeah I love refilling Pilot cartridges. They are great.

And yes, the Lamy 2k has a small sweet spot. Doesn't bother me, kind of a nuisance but it's not bad.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

best bale posted:

I'll have to look into that, thanks!

quick and dirty review incoming. sorry for the pics, I was trying to get some pics quickly while the kid was napping.

I refill using a syringe and I don't have any problems with it. The ink seems to last awhile with this thing. Overall, I love it. It's lived in my pocket for the last few months and it just keeps looking better and better as it's worn in. In the beginning there was a slight baby's bottom issue, but I just kept writing with it and it worked itself out.

fake edit: jesus imgur is getting to be a pain in the rear end to use

Thanks for this! Do you worry about it all in your pocket? Also by pocket you mean pants pocket correct not shirt?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Correct, pants pocket. And I don't worry about it at all.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Since I am clearly a consumerist whore, I bought another Delta. With a fusion nib.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I feel like your Delta addiction is both more and less worthy of shame than my appreciation for Noodler's and TWSBI.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

I feel like your Delta addiction is both more and less worthy of shame than my appreciation for Noodler's and TWSBI.

This thing

Mysteriously appeared on Amazon's outlet page a week after I made that original post.

Clearly it was a sign.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I really love the Rachmaninoff color but christ it does not play nice with any of my nibs. It's either a horrid dry scratchy mess or comes out too fast and bleeds through pages. When it decides to start at all. :psyduck:

So I ordered some super cheap syringes and vials from Goulet to see if diluting it with water would solve my problems...and then I added another $50 worth of ink to the cart because why the gently caress not :shepface:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

grack posted:

This thing
[...]
Mysteriously appeared on Amazon's outlet page a week after I made that original post.
Clearly it was a sign.

That is a handsome pen.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What is the best green ink that isn't sparkly?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Heath posted:

I like Herbin's Vert Empire, but it's pretty muted, so that's probably not quite what you're after for "green." Same goes for stuff like Noodler's Zhivago or AirCorp Blue Black — they're green and teal, respectively, but dark as hell.

:v: there's always that Montblanc discontinued green ink people seemed to love. Something like Racing Green? I don't think it was actually called British Racing Green, but it's been a while.

melodicwaffle posted:

I really love the Rachmaninoff color but christ it does not play nice with any of my nibs. It's either a horrid dry scratchy mess or comes out too fast and bleeds through pages. When it decides to start at all. :psyduck:

So I ordered some super cheap syringes and vials from Goulet to see if diluting it with water would solve my problems...and then I added another $50 worth of ink to the cart because why the gently caress not :shepface:

Has anyone here actually had a good experience with one of the Russian Writer's Series?My Dostoyevsky was a pain in the rear end (now it's worse because I really need to find someplace to put it without a cracked cap…), despite the tons of gushing over them (at least when they came out).

That said, I had heard the same thing about cutting the ink with water for my Dostoyevsky. It did help with the flow issues, but also made it mostly illegible — I think I added a bit too much. But also, mine tends to separate far more readily than a lot of other inks I have — the only other one I can think of that needs quite as much shaking beforehand is Rouge Hematite.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Heath posted:

What kind of green do you want, a bright minty green? Forest green? Something dark-ish?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Heath posted:

Whichever Iroshizuku green you like the best. I'm a fan of Shin-Ryoku but Syo-ro is pretty good for a turqouise-grey-ish green.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I like Syo-ro a lot, it's not really a *green* green though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bungbox Norwegian Wood is a nice deep, dark green

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Heath posted:

I like both of the 150 Anniversary Diamine greens, Safari for the muted grey-green and Tropical Green for the deeper green. Between the two I have been using Safari more often but they are both good.

I just got my Nemosine Singularity today. It is going to take some tweaking - it is a nice feeling pen but the nib is scratchy as gently caress. Cleaned it all out, checked if the nib was in the right place but any lateral writing, particularly to the right, is very scratchy. I have a cheap italic that I tired into a stub with a super fine emery board since it was very scratchy so I will probably do the same kind of thing with this since that yielded good results. The ink flow is good, though, and it has a lot of promise.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

best bale posted:

Correct, pants pocket. And I don't worry about it at all.

Thanks part of the appeal is the idea that this pen can ride in my pocket all day whether its business or just hiking or some such nonsense. The lid screws on and off ? Or just very tight? Again thanks pretty much cemented this will be next pen I get with the pics you posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like the Shin-Ryoku quite a bit, but it's hard to get a feel for how it "really" looks from photos. I'm looking for a deep spring/forest green.

I was able to get an absolutely fantastic green from a 50/50 mix of Kon-Peki and Apache Sunset (I can't remember if I posted a sample or not earlier in the thread.) Only problem is that it's super wet and I also don't want to use up my expensive Kon-Peki to make it, plus I'm a mixing amateur on top of that. I'll check out the Diamine inks.

I'm also looking at that Ku-Jaku now :kimchi: