Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

???: Hey... Can you hear me?

: Are you okay? ...You seem pretty out of it. To be honest, I'm also... No, everyone else feels the same, too. Since we suddenly...got put in this weird situation.
: ... ...Hey, are you listening?

: Hey, are you sure you're okay?
: ... ...Leave me alone.
: Th-There's no way I can leave someone alone when they look that pale...
: ...

White sandy beach... Crystal blue ocean... The sun's rays beaming down on me... This soft, tropical wind brushing my skin...

I...definitely don't know what's going on... I was supposed to attend Hope's Peak Academy. Why did this...? Why...am I here at a place like this?

: That rabbit thing said we're...on a tropical island.

: ...Yeah, you're right.

I have no idea what's going on. That's the only thing I can say with absolute certainty.

: Welcome to Dangan Island. I will explain the basic controls to you. With the left stick, you can maneuver the reticle on the screen. If the reticle responds, either tap the screen or press the X button. You can then examine that person or object. Also, you can shift your point of view with the directional buttons, or the L and R buttons. Plus, if you press the Triangle button, you can use a mysterious power to see everything you can examine.
: The world sure has become super convenient if you're able to do all this from the get-go. Now then, please search this beach thoroughly, and progress the story.
: Welcome to the game! A quick UI explanation: In the upper left, the game tells you the name of the music track playing currently. In the upper right, it tells us the Chapter, what time of day it is and our current Level. Leveling is new to Danganronpa 2 and you gain EXP just by walking around, examining things and talking to people. I'll explain what the levels actually do when the time comes.

: Like the tutorial said, you can see everything you can examine by pushing Triangle. Blue circles are things to examine and pink circles are people you can speak to.
: The bit at the end about everything being convenient is a dig at the original PSP release of Danganronpa 1, in which you couldn't run in the halls or use this observation technique until you unlocked them by doing Free Time events with specific other students. Never do that person's events? No running or observation for you! Not so in DR2. Both skills are automatically available to you.

: Another welcome change from the previous game is that the game will tell you what you're about to examine with a caption at the bottom of the screen. It's a small, but welcomed addition. It also saves me having to describe everything we're looking at every time.
: Let's start by seeing what's on this beach.

I guess it makes sense for there to be palm trees on a tropical island. That's a mighty fine palm tree... But now's not the time for me to be impressed by it...

Why is there a monitor in a place like this? The screen is blank... What is this being used for?

The crystal clear, shining blue sea... It's perfect for a tropical island... Just what's going on here? I never wanted anything like this at all...

: Hm. Is that a camera...? ...A surveillance camera? Are we...being monitored or something!?
: I wouldn't say we're being monitored... I think we're just being watched for our safety...
: Well, it's a waste of time to think about it. Best not to worry!

What's with this guy...? How can he be so calm in a situation like this? ...Maybe he's just a chill guy.

: So, how are you feeling? Are you calmed down now? Um...I understand your confusion after everything that's happened... But, why don't we start with an introduction?
: Introduction...?

: ...I'm Nagito Komaeda. Nice to meet you.

: Voice Actor: Bryce Papenbrook

: Ah, along with my introduction... I guess I'll also tell you about my talent so you know why Hope's Peak Academy chose me.

: Well, even if I tell you, in my case, it's a pretty disappointing talent...
: A disappointing talent...? What do you mean?
: I'm lucky.
: ...What are you talking about?

: It's not a joke or anything... That's my actual talent. I'm the Ultimate Lucky Student... At least, that's what I'm called anyway.
: Ultimate Lucky Student?
: Through a country-wide lottery, apparently only one ordinary student is selected at random to attend Hope's Peak Academy as the Ultimate Lucky Student. And that lucky winner just so happened to be me.

Chosen by a lottery... Is that really okay? I mean...is luck even a real talent in the first place? ...How strange.

: Your face looks...troubled.
: Oh, no...I'm not troubled or anything.
: No, it's fine. I have mixed feelings about this, too.

: I never thought an average, talentless high school student like me would ever enter Hope's Peak Academy... At first...I declined. I told them I didn't deserve it. But they told me they really wanted me to attend... Apparently this so-called luck of mine is a talent that even the school doesn't fully understand... To research it, the school picks the Ultimate Lucky Student every year through an annual lottery.
: Hope's Peak Academy is amazing if they can actually research something as vague as "luck." Well, thanks to that luck, a guy like me was able to attend Hope's Peak Academy, so for that I'm grateful...
: But on the other hand...I feel a little out of place here.
: Ah, sorry. I have a bad habit of viewing most things through a pessimistic lens.

: Um, yeah, I guess that's it for my introduction.

Hmm... Nagito Komaeda, huh... He doesn't seem like the most reliable guy, but he doesn't strike me as a bad person either.

: Now then, it's your turn.
: Yeah...I'm Hajime Hinata.

: Then, let me ask you a question: What is your Ultimate talent?
: Um, I... I...I...

I opened my mouth but the words would not form. I felt my thoughts stalling in my head. As if I opened a book expecting to find words, and instead found blank pages. ...It was that kind of uncomfortable feeling. The memory I was trying to recall had completely vanished from my mind.

: H...uh...?

Without realizing it, my body began to shudder as waves of discomfort began pounding against me...

: Hajime... What happened?
: Ah... It's nothing...! I guess...I'm still pretty confused about all this... I'm having trouble remembering some things...
: ...I understand how your memory might be confused after suddenly getting into a situation like this...
: I'm sure you'll remember soon once you've settled down. So...I don't think you need to worry about it all that much.
: You're...right...
: Then, I guess we're done with our introductions for now. Even though I don't know what's going on... I hope we can get along.

*Beep Boop*

: Hey, did something just beep!? Wh-what a weird sound...

I hastily stuck my hand into my pocket. That's right... That strange, mechanical sound just now definitely came from the inside of my pocket.

: Wh-what the hell is this? It's like a PDA or a smartphone... Wh-Why is something like this inside my pocket?
: Usami was passing them out earlier... Remember?
: Oh right... You seemed pretty out of it when that was going on.
: N-Now that you mention it...I think I kinda remember but...what is this?

: It's an e-Handbook!
: What the...!? Where'd you come from!?
: Oh, did I startle you? I'm terribly sorry.
: Teehee... I know how to apologize like a good girl!
: Anyway, don't you think it's cool? That handbook is absolutely vital for this school trip, so make sure you don't lose it!
: Th-This device is that important?

: I've asked everyone to use their e-Handbook to gather all of the Hope Fragments!

...Hope Fragments?

: Um, on this island, you'll obtain Hope Fragments as you get along with your classmates. As your relationship with everyone improves, you'll be able to gather more and more Hope Fragments! Gather Hope Fragments so that the flower of hope achieves its full bloom. Truly, that is the main purpose of this school trip!
: Love! Love! *leaves*

: H-Hey!

...She's gone. A stuffed animal that moves, talks, and also appears wherever and whenever she wants... Regardless of who's actually controlling it, it still doesn't make any sense...!

: And...what was all that about Hope Fragments? What's her deal? It's like we're in a game or something...

: If this feels like a game, that's rather comforting. That means we aren't going to be in danger right away.
: Y-You're probably right, but...
: More importantly... You don't know anything about the other students yet, right?
: Then...I think it's best if you at least introduce yourself to them.
: Th-That's also true...but... Where did everyone go?
: Maybe they're exploring the island as well?
: Exploring the island...?

: As long as we're expected to live on this island, we should learn as much as we can about it. For example, what's this island's name? Is there a way to escape? What about food and living arrangements?
: So...why don't we finish introducing ourselves to the others and explore the island at the same time? I pretty much went around and introduced myself to everyone already, but I'll tag along with you.

So now he's decided to come with me... Well, I guess that's helpful for me. I know I'd worry if I was left on my own.

: Shall we get going then?

But... Is this really okay...? To feel so relaxed in such a strange situation...? Perhaps it's the tropical climate? Or is it that...what's-her-name...Usami's fault?

: What is it, Hajime? Let's get going.
: R-Right... Got it.

At any rate, if this is a nightmare, I have no idea if it's even started yet... Sheesh, what kind of nightmare is that...?

: You are now able to use the Handbook. You can use it to check various information throughout the game. You can open the e-Handbook with the Square button. It's super easy. It includes the Guidelines of the school trip and the Report Card which documents everybody's information...
: There are various features inside the handbook. You can also save and load your game inside the handbook. Please check out the System page as well. But with, there's more! You can also view the Transcript with the Select button!
: That's all there is about the Handbook. I strongly recommend you play around with it yourself. Now then, please go forth and look for everyone else. Oh right, you can exit the beach with the Circle button.

: Ah, about exploring the island... It appears a map of this island has been installed onto this e-Handbook. If you use this, you should be able to find everyone easily.
: To be honest, before I arrived at this school, I did some research about everyone on the Internet. I haven't learned everything about everyone but... I'm pretty sure I can give you some helpful info.
: ...Wait, you can research stuff like that on the Internet?
: Eh, you don't know? This school is so popular, there are message boards online dedicated to talking about its students.
: Then... was I also...?

: Hmm...I don't recall seeing your name there. I probably overlooked it...
: Well, it's not your fault if you really can't remember.

I'm sure my name was mentioned on there... It's not a mistake I was accepted into Hope's Peak Academy...

: Anyway, I'll help out too, so why don't we begin making your introductions?
: O-Okay...you're right.

So first I need to introduce myself to everyone else on this island, then...

: Oh, I should apologize. There was something I forgot to tell you. If you look at the map in your e-Handbook, you will be able to see where everyone is. You can also instantly travel to any location displayed as "Go!". Also, when you travel to a point with an "!" mark, the story will progress. It's super convenient! Now then, let's go.

: Travel on the island can be done through this screen. You can move with the left stick. You can run by holding the Circle button while you move. If you press the left or right directional buttons, you can also instantly move to the next area. When the reticle responds, you can go inside places by pressing the X button.
: You've probably realized it by now, but you happen to have your very own pet inside your e-Handbook. Your pet grows based on the number of steps you take, so try walking to places instead of using Map Jump. When you finish raising your pet, there may be...a small reward...

: Alright, I can finally take a little time to explain the Menu before we end the update. This is our e-Handbook. It's very similar to the one in the previous game but with a new look and the addition of the Pet feature.

: The Map shows a nicely detailed map of the area you're in and if you can warp to a place a GO! or IN! will appear. This is the 1st Island map.

: The map also shows which students are in each area at a given time in the upper left.

: We can also see the map of the Central Island right now, and it looks like one person is over there right now.

: This menu is unavailable right now but if you saw the first game you can probably guess what it will be.

: The Presents menu returns once more.

: We don't have anything right now but eventually we'll have a variety of items.

: The Report Card actually has a few new features in this game but we can't access all of them just yet.

: It does let you see your Hope Fragment progress with everyone at a quick glance. As you can see, we're 1/6 of the way completed with Nagito.
: I won't be showing everyone's individual Report Card just yet because we can't view them without meeting the person first. I'll save them all for a bit later.

: The Regulations menu contains the in-universe rules that the students have to follow. I'll show them off next update because they actually come up in a conversation.

: The Pet feature is new in Danganronpa 2.

: It's a very simple Tamagotchi Pet-like game. The more you walk around, the more the pet grows. Right now, our pet hasn't even hatched. I'll explain the Pet a little more once it hatches.

: Lastly, the System menu allows us to Save, Load, view the Transcript (a record of all previous conversation going back a fair bit) and change our Options.

: Next time, we'll begin meeting everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Well, that explains Nagito Komaeda's name. He's Makoto, but less oblivious. So that would make us Kyoko, but not an rear end in a top hat. That sounds like a much better arrangement than the first game.

Also, for those who don't know the significance of the island's name:

Lewis Carroll posted:

pre:
             JABBERWOCKY

‘Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
     All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

‘Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
      The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
     Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
      The frumious Bandersnatch!’ 

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
      Long time the manxome foe he sought—
     So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
      And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
      The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
     Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
      And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
      The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
     He left it dead, and with its head
      He went galumphing back.

‘And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
      Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
     O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!’ 
      He chortled in his joy.

‘Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
     All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

(from Through the Looking-Glass)

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 7, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Welp, our narrator is hella unreliable

FPzero posted:

: If this feels like a game, that's rather comforting. That means we aren't going to be in danger right away.

Our previous protagonist on the other hand seems to know exactly how screwed we all are.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Oh poo poo, I just noticed something! The second character to return from the first game is…

…Demon Angel☆Pretty Pudgy Princess? :raise:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FPzero posted:

: Ah, sorry. I have a bad habit of viewing most things through a pessimistic lens.

Aw, just have a little hope Nagito :gbsmith:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Double Punctuation posted:

Well, that explains Nagito Komaeda's name. He's Makoto, but less oblivious. So that would make us Kyoko, but not an rear end in a top hat. That sounds like a much better arrangement than the first game.

The initial relationship between the two is set up really well here, and Hajime reveals that he's really not going to be another Naegi, being more cynical and suspicious right off the bat than Makoto ever was.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I just remembered something from my own playthrough. You said we can talk about spoilers from this game so long as it's behind bars, right? (Spoiler for game in general) Could I request that you check the cabins of the most recent deaths at the start of every chapter, both killer and victim? There's some decent dialogue there, and it'd be a shame for the new viewers to not know about it. Also, at the start of the final chapter, check the cabins of everyone who has died.

Since I haven't gotten around to saying it yet, I am also very glad that you are continuing on to this game. I'm mostly excited to see the reactions of people who never saw any further than orenronen's LP, since I bought the game myself when it came to Steam. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of the other posters after that first update did the same! I do hope those of you who are new to the game, or at least the official English release, keep posting throughout the thread. I really enjoyed those posts in FPzero's DR1 LP.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 8, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I find it amusing that the In Media Res thing from the start apparently happens about five minutes later. I could make a lot of speculations based on all the incredibly suspicious things which have happened already, but pretty much everyone reading this could make the exact same speculations, so there's no point. Also strangely enough the map calling it "Jabberwock Island" is actually the game's interface kinda spoiling itself.

EDIT: Wait, we're allowed to talk about spoilers for this game in bars? Is that just because FPZero thinks most people reading the thread have already played this? I would have expected a "no spoilers" rule for this game and future releases. Allowing spoilers just seems like a recipe for trouble. Look at Oblivion4568238's post: It's spoilers for this game, but there is absolutely ZERO CONTEXT - there's no clue for when that spoiler appears. Is it something I would know from seeing chapters 1 and 2 (and half of 3)? Beats me!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 8, 2016

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I agree with the spoiler thing. If we're allowing them, could we at least require black bar spoilers to have the chapter they're spoiling beside them?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Well, my intent was that it was a spoiler for the game in general, and that I was asking something of FPzero that shouldn't be checked by anybody who hasn't already played the game, but I see what you're getting at. I'll slap a direct warning on it. Also, I absolutely don't intend on abusing this, this one thing is just something I thought was important to say. I'm mostly just gonna sit back and watch the speculation, and I don't want to do anything to ruin that part of the thread.

If I'd just had PMs, we wouldn't be in this mess! :v:

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 8, 2016

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
I just wanna say that if I met someone irl who had hair like Komaeda I'd be playing with that poo poo because it looks so floofy. Floofy demands petting. It demands it.

I liked Naegi a lot as a protagonist, but I'm also a big fan of Hajime. They're both great characters in my book.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Regarding spoilers, I made the policy as I did because I had assumed most people have played the game since the original LP by now, either on Vita or on PC. The posts this far seen to prove that. I was assuming people who haven't beaten the game would probably avoid clicking spoiler bars but I can institute a tagged spoilers policy if I need to.

And regarding that spoiler above, I was unaware that there was text in those instances. I'll definitely check them out when we get there!

Unrelated, I went home for the weekend so I'm away from my computer. Next update will be on Sunday.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
On the "No spoilers about novels, the anime, etc" bit, I'm assuming that means nothing about Ultra Despair Girls either?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I guess I forgot to specify it (because I'd rather forget that game exists) but yes, UDG is also an off-limits topic. I'll make sure to add it to the list in the OP.

e: Ah, yeah I just referred to it as "the sequel". I fixed that now.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 8, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am very happy you are doing this game too. Don't really have speculation yet, that will probably come once the plot gets going a bit more. Except, for the setting, it seems that the first classroom was a film set, or if not, there is drugs or magic involved. I really hope it's not magic, that would really mess with what is possible and not and for this game, I don't feel that would be very fun.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Thesaya posted:

I am very happy you are doing this game too. Don't really have speculation yet, that will probably come once the plot gets going a bit more. Except, for the setting, it seems that the first classroom was a film set, or if not, there is drugs or magic involved. I really hope it's not magic, that would really mess with what is possible and not and for this game, I don't feel that would be very fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnH9Gbw4ybk

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

If you are implying what I think you are, you just inadvertently spoiled me. Please don't do that.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
sometimes a wav file is just a wav file, thesaya

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have followed orenronen's LP, but I've not played this game myself.

Can anyone remind me in what chapter that original LP stopped? Just so I know when I can start expecting content I don't know about yet.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I have followed orenronen's LP, but I've not played this game myself.

Can anyone remind me in what chapter that original LP stopped? Just so I know when I can start expecting content I don't know about yet.

After the murder in Chapter 4, but before the trial.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

fractalairduct posted:

After the murder in Chapter 4, but before the trial.

Just before, the last screenshot of the LP was on the elevator down. That was one hell of a cliffhanger. :argh:

For the record I'm another old-LP-reader-but-not-player.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It was the third chapter, not the fourth.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Thesaya posted:

I'm personally hoping for our protagonist having a fragile, shattered psyche.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thesaya posted:

If you are implying what I think you are, you just inadvertently spoiled me. Please don't do that.

Don't worry, it's not a spoiler. I choose to interpret it as "hahaha reading this speculation is going to be good".

That said it was a bit ambiguous so I can see why you'd worry.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Thesaya posted:

It's a reference to Umineko, which has the protagonist adamantly deny the existence of magic and witches to the face of a witch. I do think that something very suspicious is going on here, but between too-obvious misdirects and exaggerated ANIME stuff, it's hard to be sure exactly what it is.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, can we talk about all the current information (Articles and so on) around Danganronpa V3?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

No, I don't want to discuss it in this thread. You can take it to the series megathread in Games though. The link is in the OP somewhere.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Having caught up on the LP I have but one thing to say so far.

What the hell is even happening?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Buried alive posted:

Having caught up on the LP I have but one thing to say so far.

What the hell is even happening?

We're on a magical fun-time field trip. I hope there's margaritas! :3:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
And you can tell absolutely nothing bad will happen this time, it's right there in the title! Isn't that nice? :sun:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And Byakuya said that if we all behave this afternoon he'll buy everyone ice cream! :neckbeard:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just played both these games and watched the DR3 anime, and I think my favourite line in the first game is when Makoto points out that the Crime scene was moved, and Togami just says "Well that was specific. Why did you phrase it like that?"

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So I just marathoned FPzero's lp with the first Daganronpa, so all I'll say is I'm pumped to watch this all play out!

I have no clue whats going to happen, since we're on an island, I'm assuming this is like a 30 hour long beach episode in an anime and everyone is going to have a fun time...right?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Walking to the right from the Beach, we come across...an Airport?

This is an airport, right? So...those things over there must be...

: ...Airplanes? Couldn't we use those planes to escape this island?

: Nah, that's impossible. If they were damaged, I could fix 'em, but it looks like these planes are just for show...
: Just for show...?
: The engines have been completely removed. Nothing I can do about that.
: ...Completely removed?

Whoever brought us to this island must have also done that...right? The same person who's controlling that stuffed animal, Usami. But...who is doing this? And why did they bring us to this island in the first place? And...how did they do it? The more I think about it... The less sense it makes.

: Oh yeah, that reminds me... You and me haven't been introduced yet, right?

: Name's Kazuichi Soda. I'm the Ultimate Mechanic. Nice to meet ya.

: Voice Actor: Kyle Hebert

: As expected from someone called the Ultimate Mechanic, Kazuichi is a savant when it comes to fixing machines. If he says it's impossible to fix this plane, it's truly beyond repair.
: Even so...to actually remove the engine, whoever's keeping us here must've planned this to a T.
: You think so too, huh... Doesn't that seem pretty strange to you?
: Yeah, it's pretty strange, but I think it's an acceptable level of strange, y'know?
: ...Huh?

: Well, think about it... It's not like we're being forced to do something dangerous or anything...
: That was mentioned in the safely precautions for this school trip. Remember? The school trip guidelines written in the e-Handbook?

: It looks like we're being kept safe, so why wouldn't this be like any other school trip?
: There's nothing dangerous on this island... Spend these peaceful and relaxing days nourishing hope... Just as Usami said earlier. It seems these rules are in place to help us do that...
: Are you saying you believe what that thing told us? She forced us to come here, you know!?

: Don't be such a pessimist... You should look at this situation with a bit more hope, you know? Optimism is essential for people to live satisfied lives.
: Well, I guess it's okay if we just enjoy our vacation and see how this whole thing plays out, right?
: Heh-heh! If you stare closely at that strange-lookin' bunny girl, she might start lookin' pretty cute!

I'm actually jealous of how carefree he's being right now.

: Stop right there. If you value your life, do not come any closer.
: ...Huh?
: Hmph, I said stay back! Oh, very well...I shall accept that courage of yours.

Wh-What's this guy talking about...?

: Kehehe, would you like to know my name? Others may see your courage as recklessness... However...I welcome it.
: In honor of your courage, I shall reveal to you my name. May you never forget it as long as you live!

: You may call me...Gundham Tanaka! Remember it well, for it is the name that will one day rule this world!

: Voice Actor: Chris Tergliafera

R-Rule this world...? He's kidding, right? If he's actually serious, that's pretty out there!

: Now then, it is my turn to ask questions. Whose master are you?
: Eh...?
: Which tribe did you make your pact with? Answer me!
: ...Huh? What do you mean, "pact"?

: Answer me now! Though I shall cast you into a watery grave once you do!
: Then it's best if I don't answer!
: I think he's asking...if you used to have a pet...
: ...Pet? No... The only animal I've taken care of was a hermit crab we passed around in elementary school.

: So, a mere insect!
: Hah! Your Magic Essence caps at a lowly five! Trash!
: T-Trash, really...?
: Hmph! Is it wrong to call trash "trash"? Trash like you should not dare to speak to one as grand as me!

: Who do you think I am? I am the great and powerful Gundham Tanaka, Supreme Overlord of Ice!
: H-Hold on a minute! Something strange just came out of your scarf!
: Taming evil by using myself as a bed... Truly, this is the secret art of the Tanaka Empire!
: It's like something you'd see on a nature show. I guess he totally fits the bill of Ultimate Breeder...

: One of my Four Dark Devas of Destruction, Mirage Golden Hawk Jum-P, has this to say: "We're not used to going easy on our enemies...so don't make us angry. You wouldn't like us when we're angry." Fuhaha...!
: Fuhahahahahahahaha!

: Um, yeah... I know he seems a little odd, but apparently he did splendidly as a member of the Breeding Club. I've heard he can tame any animal and even managed to succeed at proliferating an endangered species. Rumor has it he can speak to animals... Well, that's probably just a joke.

Speak with animals...? Well, he's certainly eccentric enough in that regard... I mean, there's no way a normal person would attempt to raise hamsters inside their own scarf...

To go so far as to completely remove the plane's engine... Do they want to keep us here that badly? For what purpose?

: That's all we can see here in the airport. Let's move on to the next area.

: On the way, a notification popped up in the bottom left corner.

: It's there to notify us that something has happened with our Pet.

: Congratulations, it's a Chibimi! Our Pet has hatched from its egg. So the way Pets work is that when you walk the amount of steps specified under the "Until next growth" header, the pet will evolve. What it evolves into depends on how full the Hope or Despair meters are. The Hope meter fills up when you give it any Present and the Despair meter fills up when you don't clean its room for a time. If you forget about your pet for too long and the Despair meter fills up, it will die and you have to start over.
: I almost guarantee that I'll forget about this pet at least once. I've done it every other time I've played.

: Additionally, as we walk over, we Level Up. I'm still not ready to explain what Levels do for us yet. The time hasn't arrived. I won't be calling out Levelups during the rest of the LP but you'll always be able to see my current level whenever the UI is visible.

: Let's check out the market

: So this is the supermarket... It's pretty big.

If we're on a tropical island... Does that mean we're in international waters?

: Thanks to this place, we won't need to worry about food and other necessities for a while.
: For a while?
: I-It's just a figure of speech.
: But there's no guarantee anything here is edible. What if all this stuff is poisoned?
: Hm... You certainly are the skeptical type.
: Of course I am. Even this supermarket is strange. Look around! We're in this gigantic supermarket and there's nobody else here except us!

: Well, that can't be helped. Didn't Usami say this island is uninhabited?
: Th-That's exactly my point... ...Ugh!
: What happened?
: It's nothing...

She's staring at me funny...!

: Ah, uhhhh, um... Um...you know... ...

: ...I-I'm sorry.

Wh-Why is she crying!?

: Bullying a girl... Not cool, Hajime.
: ...I didn't do anything.
: Ah, so your name is Hajime... If it's okay with you, may I please remember your name?
: O-Of course... I don't mind you remembering it, but...

: M-My name is Mikan Tsumiki. Um... From the bottom of my heart, I hope we can get along.

: Voice Actress: Stephanie Sheh

: Um...you know...
: Um...um um um um...
: Uhhhh...my mind is drawing a blank...from nervousness... And...I went through all the trouble of preparing 5,000 different topics to discuss after introductions!

That seems excessive...

: It's okay if you take your time and remember slowly. We'll wait as long as it takes. We'll wait for you forever if that's what it takes.
: Huh... Aaaaaah!

Isn't he...just putting more pressure on her?

: Well, I guess I'll just ask you since I won't get anywhere asking her, so... What's her deal?
: Ah, Mikan is the Ultimate Nurse. If you ever get injured, you'll need her help, so it's best if you get along with her now. If you get wounded and don't treat it, there's a good possibility you'll get an infection and die.
: Don't say something so morbid so naturally...

: Heh heh, hehehehe...!
: Ah! I-I'm sorry for laughing so suddenly!
: I-It's just...I can't help it. I'm just so happy, I can't remember the last time I made any friends...

: Ah, not that you actually want to be friends with me! I'm soooo sorry I said something so...presumptuous!
: I'll do anything you say... Just...please don't hate me...!
: Bullying a girl... Not cool, Hajime.

Seriously, why does this keep happening?

: I'm sorry...I'm so, so, so sorry!

: Couple things we can check out here.

That's one big cola bottle...! I bet it'd go flat before you could even finish drinking it.

So these are military goods, huh... They even carry night vision goggles... I can't believe this supermarket even sells stuff like this.

: Peeking, peeking...
: Oh haiiiiiiiiiii! Who're you!?
: U-Um... I'm Hajime Hinata...
: Hellooooo? Your tension is super low! Are you feeling all right?
: Ah, that's right! Introductions are a go-go!

: "I," "Buki," "Mio," "Da!" Put it together and what do you get? Ibuki Mioda!

: Voice Actress: Julie Ann Taylor

: All right, introductions are finished! More importantly, check out this bombtastic supermarket!
: They got hamburger, ramen noodles, chili beans, bratwurst, pasta... Ooooh, melons!

: Americans, Chinese, Mexicans, Germans, Italians...and even people from Yubari would shop here!
: Man, I'm getting hellaaaaaa stoooked! I'm thirty-one flavors of stoked for all this deliciousness!
: And when I'm excited, I get hungry-mungry! I-I don't understand it myself... Why do I get hungry when I'm excited? Why do I get excited when I'm hungry?
: Kyahaha, the human body sure is a mystery!

: Um... This energetic young lady is known as the Ultimate Musician... She used to play guitar in an all-girl band that was super popular with other high school girls. Apparently their hit single, "After School Poyoyon Hour" sold over a million copies.

A super popular, all-girl, high school band... That sounds familiar...

: Due to creative differences, she left the band to pursue a solo career.
: ...Creative differences?
: Are you interested!?
: Wah!? You could hear me!?
: Duh! Ibuki's a musician, after all!

: Like Schubert, Bach, Edison, Van Gogh, Perez, and Senna...I, too, am an awesome musician!
: Oh, so you're saying you have good hearing... Wait, most of those people you mentioned weren't musicians at all.
: Don't sweat the details!

: That's enough introductions for today. Next time, we'll continue meeting people.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know, if Gundam's mannerisms are the creepiest thing in this game I think we're gonna be alright.

But I'm sort of scared that he'll try to summon Satan or something.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
SOON THE ERA OF HAMSTERS SHALL BEGIN!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Hamsters =/= Satan, Yar.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

EponymousMrYar posted:

OUR FURRY BUTTS WILL BLOCK OUT THE SUN!

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Gundham is super my favorite. He's fantastic. Kazuichi is fun too, in a vaguely creepy but earnest sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

ManicVolcanic posted:

Gundham is super my favorite. He's fantastic. Kazuichi is fun too, in a vaguely creepy but earnest sort of way.

Yeah, I like Kazuichi too; he's kind of a dick, but in a very believable, actually teenager like way. And Gundham... Gundham is just a phenomenal character, and his name is a big reason why he's so great. Imagine, if you will, somebody who when asaked his name, never fails to stop, strike a pose, and say, dramatically and in all seriousness, "My name... is MORDENKAISER SMITH!!!" Exclamation marks included. Every-time he is asked. :allears:

• Locked thread