Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Back in 2012, Green Day released not one, not two, but three albums. Billie Joe Armstrong admits that it didn't quite work. This time, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers have curated ONE album of new music, which, from the sound of the single 'Bang Bang', will possibly satisfy those disillusioned with the band's more recent music. I found the song instantly remarkable, something I haven't said about a Green Day lead-off single since American Idiot. In fact, this marks the first time since Warning that Green Day has self-produced an album (and if you don't count that album, since frequent producer Rob Cavallo was partially involved, you'd have to go back to Kerplunk).

Revolution Radio comes out October 7th. 'Bang Bang' is on Spotify, so you can listen there. Trust me, it's pretty punk rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It loving sucked

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Nazzadan posted:

It loving sucked

No it did not

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CaptainYesterday posted:

Back in 2012, Green Day released not one, not two, but three albums. Billie Joe Armstrong admits that it didn't quite work. This time, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers have curated ONE album of new music, which, from the sound of the single 'Bang Bang', will possibly satisfy those disillusioned with the band's more recent music. I found the song instantly remarkable, something I haven't said about a Green Day lead-off single since American Idiot. In fact, this marks the first time since Warning that Green Day has self-produced an album (and if you don't count that album, since frequent producer Rob Cavallo was partially involved, you'd have to go back to Kerplunk).

Revolution Radio comes out October 7th. 'Bang Bang' is on Spotify, so you can listen there. Trust me, it's pretty punk rock.

Do you work in marketing or something

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Green Day was extremely important to me when I was a kid. Having listened to essentially nothing but radio hits until I was about 12, my purchase of Nimrod on a friend's recommendation blew my mind. When I was 17 and just starting freshman year of college, I took the bus into town to buy American Idiot the day it came out. I was so excited. I really liked it a lot. It's been over 10 years since that day and guess what, Green Day is STILL a gang of pathetic old phonies shilling to 17 year olds

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Revolution Radio is underwritten with a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation and with support from listeners like you. This is NPR.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
gently caress green day but leonard cohen is also releasing a new album and idk what thread to post it in so it's going in this one

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Avshalom posted:

gently caress green day but leonard cohen is also releasing a new album and idk what thread to post it in so it's going in this one
this is now the thread topic i'm so excited. he is a precious fragile butterfly. he's the opposite of the 27 club because instead of releasing one great album and then dying he's been threatening to die after every album but never getting around to it for fifty years. gently caress green day. gently caress all that poo poo

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i can't even form a comment about how i feel about green day. i don't hate them. i can't name any of their songs. i liked boulevard of broken dreams when i was 15 but not enough to even pirate it? what a loving waste of time. 99% of musicians are a waste of time. but leonard! leonard! i would gently caress leonard right here, right now, no questions asked, i don't care if his dick looks like a basset hound and i have to hold him gently aloft so as not to shatter his delicate octogenarian bones

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
gently caress you all! you don't understand me

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you don't understand my heart

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Greenday's last good album was Kerplunk.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
when i was in middle school i got really worried about the liner notes talking about someone slicing up their family or something and then going to a greenday concert. that was a good album, though, which one was it?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
That was Kerplunk.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Insomniac had some good tracks, it's underrated, and the new song reminds me of that, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Avshalom posted:

i can't even form a comment about how i feel about green day. i don't hate them. i can't name any of their songs. i liked boulevard of broken dreams when i was 15 but not enough to even pirate it? what a loving waste of time. 99% of musicians are a waste of time. but leonard! leonard! i would gently caress leonard right here, right now, no questions asked, i don't care if his dick looks like a basset hound and i have to hold him gently aloft so as not to shatter his delicate octogenarian bones

leonard cohen will die soon

possibly this year, probably next year

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Whorelord posted:

leonard cohen will die soon

possibly this year, probably next year
he will ascend into legend

M-Tron
Jul 18, 2004

I'm the magical man, from Happy Land, living in a gumdrop house on lollipop lane!
Is it just me or did Billie's voice seem to get higher? Some parts of the song sound interesting, but I'm not sure I like it as a whole.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I........like a Green Day song in 2016. ._. I never thought I would say that. It's not earth shattering but its fun and not completely stupid. I'm .......optimistic. ._.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dumb flamenco breakdowns are to Green Day what that dumb Mexican accent was to Eminem

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I really like the melody to Revolution Radio, the chorus is neato

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Happy to see that these accomplished plagiarists are back releasing a new project. Their PR people's revisionist history will inevitably insist that the reason their trio of records simultaneously released flopped years ago was due to the singer's drinking problem finally boiling over instead of the simple fact that the entire project was poo poo. There are NO great triple records in music history, let alone 3 records simultaneously released.

The best thing that could happen was for them to flop in order for a producer to be given the latitude of doubt and actually serve as a voice of reason and editor, instead of enabling indulgence.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dead Snoopy posted:

There are NO great triple records in music history, let alone 3 records simultaneously released.

Are you suggesting that no artist has released three great records in a row?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A human heart posted:

Are you suggesting that no artist has released three great records in a row?

that's not a triple album

homie's a doofus but that's not what he meant at all

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I asked because it's not clear what he means.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

that's not a triple album

homie's a doofus but that's not what he meant at all

I'm not a doofus, poser.

There's nobody who has released 3 records simultaneously to great success. There are artists who dropped 2 records at once - for example, Guns n Roses 'Use Your Illusions 1 & 1' (not my favorite example, btw) - and found success, bu to release three practically at once the way Green Day did...no loving way. As soon as you hear 'triple album' that should be an alert that whoever was guiding the band said 'gently caress it', took the money and mentally checked out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A human heart posted:

I asked because it's not clear what he means.

i have never seen anyone refer to three records in a row as a triple album without them being stone fuckin retarded

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

'Use Your Illusions 1 & 1'
:derp:

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I bought the new album to see them play at a record store in Brooklyn last night. I was expecting a short set of mostly new material, but was treated to something completely different (four Kerplunk songs!) so I'm happy.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/green-day/2016/rough-trade-nyc-brooklyn-ny-3fd1d4f.html

Some dude was breaking down afterwards because the band didn't come back for an encore. He was wailing outside insisting that the venue shut down the show because it was too rowdy (it was a pretty tame crowd). I heard he waited two days outside the store just for that show. RIP that guy.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 8, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This album is boring and mediocre and toothless and everything you'd expect. But at least it's not completely terrible and embarrassing

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

interpunct posted:

I bought the new album to see them play at a record store in Brooklyn last night. I was expecting a short set of mostly new material, but was treated to something completely different (four Kerplunk songs!) so I'm happy.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/green-day/2016/rough-trade-nyc-brooklyn-ny-3fd1d4f.html

Some dude was breaking down afterwards because the band didn't come back for an encore. He was wailing outside insisting that the venue shut down the show because it was too rowdy (it was a pretty tame crowd). I heard he waited two days outside the store just for that show. RIP that guy.

that setlist is pretty dope, one for the razorbacks owns

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
That really is a dope set list. I mean "Why Do You Want Him?" Billie Joe wrote that song when he was 14.

Re:the new album. I haven't had enough time to digest it yet, but "Still Breathing" is an immediate love. Reminds me of "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" in that way.

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 9, 2016

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Dead Snoopy posted:

Happy to see that these accomplished plagiarists are back releasing a new project. Their PR people's revisionist history will inevitably insist that the reason their trio of records simultaneously released flopped years ago was due to the singer's drinking problem finally boiling over instead of the simple fact that the entire project was poo poo. There are NO great triple records in music history, let alone 3 records simultaneously released.

69 Love Songs would like to argue with you. I'm just saying.

And maybe Sandinista.

The thing is Green Day just isn't that musically adventurous to do that successfully.

Spam
Nov 28, 2010
Um yeah this is pretty dire, but it sorta reminded me that Going to Pasalacqua is a good song so thanks thread.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

69 Love Songs would like to argue with you. I'm just saying.

And maybe Sandinista.

The thing is Green Day just isn't that musically adventurous to do that successfully.

I humbly will make exception for The Clash and promise to reconsider The Magentic Fields in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bang bang sounds like an offspring song.

• Locked thread