Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

PirateBob posted:

So the guests can't shoot eachother because the guns won't fire when aimed at something with human body temperature (according to the movie), but what's to keep them from harming eachother with any other object?

Murder charges? Ethics? Morals? What keeps people right now from murdering everyone else?

The hosts will try to keep things safe and maintain the story, so I'd imagine that'd mean protecting guests from each other to a certain degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Megaspel posted:

Murder charges? Ethics? Morals? What keeps people right now from murdering everyone else?

The hosts will try to keep things safe and maintain the story, so I'd imagine that'd mean protecting guests from each other to a certain degree.

I mean by accident ffs, like when drunk and mowing down (presumed) robots.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

PirateBob posted:

So the guests can't shoot eachother because the guns won't fire when aimed at something with human body temperature (according to the movie), but what's to keep them from harming eachother with any other object?

Just their programming. Ep2 we saw a host physically tackle Saint of Killers and had to be stabbed off. If a host was mentally able to do it they could beat a guest do death.

Edit misread, yeah guests can hurt each other just like they could at Disneyland if they wanted. Presumably the hosts are all programmed to intervene ASAP.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

Just their programming. Ep2 we saw a host physically tackle Saint of Killers and had to be stabbed off. If a host was mentally able to do it they could beat a guest do death.

Edit misread, yeah guests can hurt each other just like they could at Disneyland if they wanted. Presumably the hosts are all programmed to intervene ASAP.

So the hosts are able to tell fellow hosts apart from guests somehow? Without that function interfering with their understanding of their world?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still think at some point two guests are bound to have mistaken each other for hosts, and gotten lost as a result of presuming the other knows what the gently caress they are doing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

PirateBob posted:

I mean by accident ffs, like when drunk and mowing down (presumed) robots.

Yeah, they have to have some safeguard so that a guest can't go "this guy is annoying, I'm gonna stab a fork in him" and it turns out it was another guest.

The most unrealistic aspect is the economy of the park. Every day hundreds of high-tech androids get shot to pieces, just from the scripted events, and they all have to be patched together within a few hours during the night shift. That stuff quickly gets really expensive. Even if a ticket costs a million bucks, the park would still be deep in the red.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

ymgve posted:

Yeah, they have to have some safeguard so that a guest can't go "this guy is annoying, I'm gonna stab a fork in him" and it turns out it was another guest.

The most unrealistic aspect is the economy of the park. Every day hundreds of high-tech androids get shot to pieces, just from the scripted events, and they all have to be patched together within a few hours during the night shift. That stuff quickly gets really expensive. Even if a ticket costs a million bucks, the park would still be deep in the red.

Yep. That was my main objection to the movie as well. Even if this is some ways into the future, a completely lifelike android must still cost a fortune to construct and repair.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
We spared no expense :twisted:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Profit can't possibly be the real reason for the park.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

When the guy's going through the lobby being given his costume and guns the hostess mentions that they won't let him kill people he's not supposed to.

So presumably that means other guests. Don't know how that would stop a forking incident though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

So does anyone else get the feeling that West World may be underground?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

theflyingexecutive posted:

Yeah it says use common sense and "released online" means leaks. I don't think we need to protect the imaginary "has HBO but not HBO go" poster

So, Canadians? And I would assume plenty of other countries. The equivalent of HBO Go up here doesn't get Ep2 until after Sunday.

I mean I've watched it, but I'm sure plenty of people haven't.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Marsden's character is basically the host equivalent of cartman, watching him getting killed in each episode.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

etalian posted:

Marsden's character is basically the host equivalent of cartman, watching him getting killed in each episode.

Wrong character. That's Kenny.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
After watching Episode 2, I've really started to enjoy how much Anthony Hopkins comes off as a more sinister Richard Attenborough. His joy and passion for the park is very clear, but something's not all right.

Also, I don't really like the theories about "the park is in a Dyson sphere" or "the park is on an artificial island." I feel like since part of the appeal with the AI plotline is that their encroaching sentience may pose a threat to humanity at large, it takes away from that to have all the hosts so physically segregated from human society.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

PirateBob posted:

I would have assumed that the hosts do have human body temperature, they're supposed to be as lifelike as possible so it would be very jarring if they didn't feel like humans as well as look like them

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

OptimusMatrix posted:

Did anyone associate the "Haven't had an incident in 30 years" that this is actually a continuation of the movie and not a remake per say?
It would be amazing if Ed Harris was actually the wimpy lawyer guy from the original movie, who just flipped his lid and decided to never leave.

Raged posted:

Anyone notice they have cured all disease, but also said that hosts can get sick?
There are plenty of things that aren't diseases and which can make you ill and/or kill you.. Too much whiskey, too much dope, food contamination, poison, drinking contaminated water, sunstroke, etc..

Codependent Poster posted:

Having just watched the movie recently, I loved that they decided to come at this to be sympathetic toward the hosts rather than just set it so we're only following a couple of guests and most of the hosts are irrelevant.
I really liked the opening music, it gave me a strong American Horror Story vibe, which immediatley made it clear that it's going to be largely about the hosts.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 8, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Paperhouse posted:

I would have assumed that the hosts do have human body temperature, they're supposed to be as lifelike as possible so it would be very jarring if they didn't feel like humans as well as look like them

Yeah, boning a cold robot would be a bummer. As far as I know the guns have sensors on them? Shots fired at humans are nonlethal and shots fired at hosts are lethal/their bodies react as if they are.

I assume the gun Delorean found had no such sensor on it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ In the original movie the guns are hand-waved off by "not firing when they sense body temperatures" or seomthing along those lines, but people are still boning the robot hookers all the time. I think it's just one of those "a wizard made it" things you need to get over, because it never made sense in the first movie and it makes even less sense with today's technology familiarization we have.

neckbeard posted:

It was a very well done player piano version of a prolific grunge song and one of Rolling Stones biggest hits. It was cool hearing those songs done in that fashion. No idea if there's anything more to it then that. The rest of the music in the show was awesome, done by Riman Djawadi who is also a composer for Game of Thrones
Again reminding me of AHS, when Lobster Boy and the freakshow band are practising playing Nirvana as a stage act, and the year is like 1965 or something.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone knows what is the name of the theme that plays when dr Ford does his monologue in ep. 2? . Also i hope we get gimme shelter country style someday.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

PirateBob posted:

Yep. That was my main objection to the movie as well. Even if this is some ways into the future, a completely lifelike android must still cost a fortune to construct and repair.

I don't know why no one cares that they cured every disease and clearly live in a post-scarcity world but somehow 3D printing some androids out of expendable material is still super expensive?

I mean sure, maybe they're running at a bit of a loss, but I don't think it's unbelievable to think that making/repairing androids has gotten super cheap in the future, relatively speaking. It seems to be setting up for management having an ulterior motivation, so it probably doesn't matter that the park is running at a bit of a loss and not the most profitable endeavour imaginable.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

When the guy's going through the lobby being given his costume and guns the hostess mentions that they won't let him kill people he's not supposed to.

So presumably that means other guests. Don't know how that would stop a forking incident though.

The dude who forked the guy was explicitly talking about the dude he forked as a robot quest giver. He was 100% sure that the robot was a host, and probably wouldn't have attempted the same thing if there was any doubt in his mind.

Even if you go there to unleash some violent tendencies, you probably start out a little bit hesitant first, these people aren't babies, they're grown adults who have made millions/billions of dollars, they know when to exercise caution still. The only other dude who regularly kills people without a safety gun has been going there for 30 years, so he's definitely very familiar with who's a host.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 8, 2016

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Megaspel posted:

I don't know why no one cares that they cured every disease and clearly live in a post-scarcity world but somehow 3D printing some androids out of expendable material is still super expensive?

I mean sure, maybe they're running at a bit of a loss, but I don't think it's unbelievable to think that making/repairing androids has gotten super cheap in the future, relatively speaking. It seems to be setting up for management having an ulterior motivation, so it probably doesn't matter that the park is running at a bit of a loss and not the most profitable endeavour imaginable.

There are shareholders, there's no way they'd agree that it doesn't matter if the park is running at a bit of a loss.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

pik_d posted:

There are shareholders, there's no way they'd agree that it doesn't matter if the park is running at a bit of a loss.

Oh yeah that's a fair point. Unless they're like future twitter or youtube or something and somehow manage to run at a loss even with shareholders due to brand building or whatever. I don't think it's unbelievable that maintenance is super cheap in a post scarcity future, or maybe make it all back on merchandising and franchises.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Professor Shark posted:

I would really like to see James Marsden turn into a psychotic robot. It would go against his usual roles, and I feel his entire existence of just wanting to save his girlfriend but always being the loser belittled by humans would be a great starting point for a violent killer.

Edit: Forgot to expand on this one

One of them being that when Ed Harris walks through the saloon, it appeared that almost all the Hosts recognized and feared him. I don't think the problem is just ~200 robots, I think they all have some degree of memory
Or it could be something simpler and more logical - like Ed Harris paid up front for the "full evil package", and the hosts are just programmed to fear guests who look like outlaws or who maybe have an invisible tracker that flags them as someone to be feared rather than accosted for sidequests.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

CeeJee posted:

There is a feeling of unreality to the whole place. The reception with a wide choice of bespoke Western outfits to choose from feels like something you could only get in virtual reality. There are not that many visitors, even of they pay thousands of dollars per day, to justify such an immense amount of work for each one. The transition from the high tech lobby to the Western setting that turns out to be a train is also hard to imagine as a real thing.

I don't think this is the case.

If Westworld is that advanced and detailed, requiring such a high cost, I'd expect part of the registration procedure to include your measurements, so that all of the clothing is prepared for you before you get there. I've been involved with some fancy parties like this before, where they get exact sizes for clothing and costumes. It's not an immense amount of work, it's easily explanable as a giant costume archive with tailors prepping pieces for the next group to show up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zaphod42 posted:

Plus you can train a real horse, but only so much. Cannot guarantee it won't trample somebody. A robot horse can be programmed to freeze on command if its about to step on a host's head. Or if left out in the woods it can automatically path back to where it should be, stuff like that. Also guarantees the horse will never throw a rider even if you're shooting guns and poo poo like that.

You wanna have things like rattlesnakes for the western theme, but you don't want to risk people getting bitten. If you're already producing robotic people, robotic animals are easier. It is still pretty crazy expensive, but that's westworld all over.

They spared no expense!
Real horses could and would also be mistreated by the guests. When I was a kid we went to a dude ranch a few times, and it wasn't uncommon for the stablehands to get pissed off at guests who'd rode the horses too hard or in dangerous terrain. In Westworld a lot of guests would probably end up killing their horses and/or eating them, or simply not knowing how to care and feed them, so robot horses are much better to allow newbies to handle.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

theflyingexecutive posted:

Anybody else get really scared that Ford was gonna do some deplorable poo poo with that kid?

I actually thought that the kid was real and was going to push Hopkins off of a cliff or something, thinking Hopkins was a host.

With Black Hat (Ed Harris), I'm loving his character as the ultimate, bittervet min-maxxer. I loved the scene where he says that he and rope-dope had all of these cool adventures together and BH never knew he had a family. I'm thinking BH has been coming to Westworld for so long he is trying to meta the game. And of course the designers would include "end game" content like this with subtle nods to the fourth wall. My prediction is that the maze is just another level of the game, and not something for the hosts or about he park. It's a high-level dungeon that you have to find all of the Easter eggs to unlock.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I actually thought that the kid was real and was going to push Hopkins off of a cliff or something, thinking Hopkins was a host.

:ughh:

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
I can't wait till they show Ed Harris' real life outside of the park. My money's on him being a super loser still dwelling in mom's basement. He's only a badass within this fantasy world.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Odoyle posted:

I can't wait till they show Ed Harris' real life outside of the park. My money's on him being a super loser still dwelling in mom's basement. He's only a badass within this fantasy world.

You're projecting.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
:laffo: Well played

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Odoyle posted:

What kind of basement dwelling loser has the insane amount of money you would need to keep going to Westworld for 30 years? To me he seems more like he'd be some kind of extremely successful business guy who is also a complete psychopath

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Paperhouse posted:

What kind of basement dwelling loser has the insane amount of money you would need to keep going to Westworld for 30 years? To me he seems more like he'd be some kind of extremely successful business guy who is also a complete psychopath

Notch

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

With Black Hat (Ed Harris), I'm loving his character as the ultimate, bittervet min-maxxer. I loved the scene where he says that he and rope-dope had all of these cool adventures together and BH never knew he had a family. I'm thinking BH has been coming to Westworld for so long he is trying to meta the game. And of course the designers would include "end game" content like this with subtle nods to the fourth wall. My prediction is that the maze is just another level of the game, and not something for the hosts or about he park. It's a high-level dungeon that you have to find all of the Easter eggs to unlock.

Yeah, I'm not buying into the maze being a test for hosts to escape the park theory. I do think that the Man in Black is brute-forcing his way into the next level (like looking over code in the video game and circumstantially creating the conditions to get the information instead of doing it the "right" way). I really don't see Ford creating an elaborate end-game/easter egg that requires torture and massacre of his hosts. I'm also basing this off the little girl saying that the maze isn't for him before revealing the clue. I could see Ford creating the maze for a White Hat, someone who has sympathy for the hosts and who thus learns the clues through communication. Him knowing the guy on the rope and adventuring with him so long without knowing poo poo about his personal life is sort of indicative of what kind of player the Man in Black is. On the other hand, I'm not sure how you could get Kissy's maze scalp without violence so who knows.

Edit: Oh, and obviously I think William is the White Hat who will be trying to figure out the deeper game the right way.

pandabear fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 8, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

EvilTwig posted:

Episode 2 is awesome, but now its a long stretch to the next one :(

My Theory: The center of the maze has the only place to poo poo in the entire park
My personal theory: the labyrinth leads to immortality - aka recording yourself and possibly even cloning yourself. THe victruvian man in the middle of the classic labyrinth coin design is just too on the nose to be otherwise

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I think that we're already starting to see some of the nuanced programming that the hosts have.

Kill but don't allow dismemberment - Maeve pushed away from falling safe because it's a lot harder to clean up/fix most likely.

Some words/phrases seem to unlock things like memories "violent delights have violent ends"

Some hand motions can control at least rattlesnakes

Overwhelming the fear sensors lead to access to different information - Man in Black using fear to extract the maze entrance information

Questioning humanity (outside the orientation) leads to deflection of the question.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Paperhouse posted:

Only scenarios I could think of are lottery winners and pro gamers. Good point though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

coyo7e posted:

There are plenty of things that aren't diseases and which can make you ill and/or kill you.. Too much whiskey, too much dope, food contamination, poison, drinking contaminated water, sunstroke, etc..

Plus, there are plenty of diseases that are curable that we can't really eradicate. There's no real reason to, for the most part. Just because you have a cure for a disease doesn't mean that you can't still catch it, just that if you do it's not a big deal.

And seriously, they handwaved away the guns in like a half dozen articles and in the show itself. It'll sting a guest, and they'll know something hit them, but won't do any lasting harm. It really doesn't need an explanation beyond that.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shoutout to that black hole sun cover in ep 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

KoRMaK posted:

Shoutout to that black hole sun cover in ep 1

And Paint it Black and No Surprises in ep 2. Someone likes the same music I like.

• Locked thread