Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the other hand, when Acererak does come back, he'll probably kill thousands more. I think there's a good argument in this case that yes, Acererak is that dangerous to make three thousand souls condemned to annihilation worth it.

Besides, if I were the DM and had ruled that gods couldn't directly intervene in this mess for whatever reason, the release of these souls would be enough for Kelemvor or the setting's equivalent to step in and save those souls from the negative energy plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Unfortunately Greyhawk's god of death is the massive pissbitch Nerull.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Kellsterik posted:

I'd love to see a module like this that takes notes from Undertale, expecting you to savescum and reset to try new routes and then responding to that without simply punishing you for it.

Could be doable with some kind of time fuckery. The PCs are called upon by GOD_NAME_HERE who promises to resurrect them should they fall. Every time they die, the clock gets reset - but Acerak is able to exist outside the timestream, and will mix up his traps and strategies to respond to the PC's next intrusion.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If they need to they can retreat to the Prime to get specific resources they've decided they need for the next attempt... but while they're on the Prime real time passes and Acerak can adapt to them even as they try to adapt to him.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

At least in 3.5, the result of Acererak's shenanigans is that he ends up trapped for all time beyond existence after his phylactery is shattered, his only attachment to reality being that he's now a vestige that Binders can call upon.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There really can't be a more fitting punishment.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

BinaryDoubts posted:

The PCs are called upon by GOD_NAME_HERE

Thought I'd stumbled into the CK2 thread for a minute there.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
All this talk of save games reminds me of the SAVEPOINT build in the Murphy's thread. That would give you an infinite number of do-overs of the last 24 hours (or less if you altered the command spells involved).

I'd hope that coming up with ways for the PCs to short-circuit Acerack's contingencies and kill him while saving the trapped souls would be half the fun of the final battle. Working out ways to kill the undead en masse and slowly driving him from host to host would keep things interesting once the PCs inevitably find a way to neutralise the giant skull.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Kellsterik posted:

I'd love to see a module like this that takes notes from Undertale, expecting you to savescum and reset to try new routes and then responding to that without simply punishing you for it.

I'm thinking more along the line of Super Meat Boy, except with cheaper deaths.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Doresh posted:

I'm thinking more along the line of Super Meat Boy, except with cheaper deaths.

Well that's just I Wanna Be The Guy.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

senrath posted:

At least in 3.5, the result of Acererak's shenanigans is that he ends up trapped for all time beyond existence after his phylactery is shattered, his only attachment to reality being that he's now a vestige that Binders can call upon.

You can go all hilariously meta when he talks to Binder PCs!

"Back in my day there weren't any fancy Concentration checks or combat casting Feats! You got hit by a sword you lost your spells, end of story! Kids today don't have to *work* for their caster supremacy these days! And if I ate your soul, you were dead as a doornail! "True Resurrection", my nonexistent foot! Why, I was telling Vecna the other day..."

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 8, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Complex of Horrors: Friend Computer discovers the Tomb of Horrors. Troubleshooters, can you go in and find out why the inhabitants of the dungeon are not happy now that Friend Computer is here? Solve the mysteries! Keep your laser handy!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mors Rattus posted:

Complex of Horrors: Friend Computer discovers the Tomb of Horrors. Troubleshooters, can you go in and find out why the inhabitants of the dungeon are not happy now that Friend Computer is here? Solve the mysteries! Keep your laser handy!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only nerd to think of porting Tomb of Horrors to Paranoia.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
It would work well too for X-Crawl, the dystopian future game where contestants dungeon-crawl on TV for cash and prizes.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

Well that's just I Wanna Be The Guy.

That replay that shows _all_ of your attempts at the stage makes all the difference for me.

Simian_Prime posted:

You can go all hilariously meta when he talks to Binder PCs!

"Back in my day there weren't any fancy Concentration checks or combat casting Feats! You got hit by a sword you lost your spells, end of story! Kids today don't have to *work* for their caster supremacy these days! And if I ate your soul, you were dead as a doornail! "True Resurrection", my nonexistent foot! Why, I was telling Vecna the other day..."

Reminds me how Pathfinder kept all these creatures and things that can eat/destroy your soul, but always add a "but there's still enough of you left for a resurrection spell". Less frustrating, but somewhat weird.

"Last session, I got eaten by a high-CR Daemon. You know, these guys whose entire deal is the eradication of all souls? Well, I got better."

Doresh fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 8, 2016

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

There's a very enjoyable official Paranoia module where three wizards accidentally Gate into Alpha Complex and Friend Computer classifies them as Infrared Mutants that need to be captured for experimentation and analysis. The PC Troubleshooters assigned to the task end up following the wizards back and end up in a dungeon crawl. Thankfully, laser pistols are more than a match for goblins and spiders and other critters.

Up until they run into a werewolf. Or it was something else that could only be killed with silver.

Hostile V fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 8, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Simian_Prime posted:

It would work well too for X-Crawl, the dystopian future game where contestants dungeon-crawl on TV for cash and prizes.

I can't stop imagining all the color commentary that would come in whenever they entered a new room, which of course they could hear for clues.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I know every edition of D&D since AD&D1e has had its own variation of the Tomb. I'm curious to see what 5e will give us.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Simian_Prime posted:

I know every edition of D&D since AD&D1e has had its own variation of the Tomb. I'm curious to see what 5e will give us.

The Tomb of Ask Your DM.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

wiegieman posted:

I can't stop imagining all the color commentary that would come in whenever they entered a new room, which of course they could hear for clues.

"Now approaching the Devil's Mouth is Steve Weber, a construction worker from Lansing, MI. He wants to say hi to-"

"OHBAAGAWD I CANT BELIEVE IT!!! He STUCK HIS HAND IN THE MOUTH, HIS HAND HAS COME CLEAN OFF!"

"Looks like he'll need a career change, or learn how to use a one-handed jackhammer!"

"Jerry here has been doin' the one-handed jackhammer since he was 12!"

"Jerry's been doin' the one-handed jackhammer since 7pm in the break room every night!"

"HEY-OH!!!!"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Simian_Prime posted:

4E's version is my favorite from a conceptual standpoint. It's the edition that removes all the instakill bullshit, and so in the first couple of pages there's a big sidebar that says "Look, we know you're interested in TOMB OF HORRORS precisely for that bullshit. Here's how to put it back in."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I prefer it with WWE announcers
BAH GAWD, THAT'S ACERERAK'S MUSIC! STOP THE MATCH!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I hate you, Jerry Lawler.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

I hate you, Jerry Lawler.

:bahgawd: LOOK AT THE PUPPIES ON THAT MARILITH!

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Simian_Prime posted:

"Now approaching the Devil's Mouth is Steve Weber, a construction worker from Lansing, MI. He wants to say hi to-"

"OHBAAGAWD I CANT BELIEVE IT!!! He STUCK HIS HAND IN THE MOUTH, HIS HAND HAS COME CLEAN OFF!"

"Looks like he'll need a career change, or learn how to use a one-handed jackhammer!"

"Jerry here has been doin' the one-handed jackhammer since he was 12!"

"Jerry's been doin' the one-handed jackhammer since 7pm in the break room every night!"

"HEY-OH!!!!"

My dream would be a tournament run of the Tomb, with Statler and Waldorf commentary.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I prefer it with WWE announcers
BAH GAWD, THAT'S ACERERAK'S MUSIC! STOP THE MATCH!

Considering how he gatecrashes on adventurers by way of undead joyrides he would be the ultimate heel.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Doresh posted:

My dream would be a tournament run of the Tomb, with Statler and Waldorf commentary.

"What kind of idiot would stick their hand in a random hole?"
"That one."
"Do you think he's going to learn from this?"
"Probably, but on the other hand..."
"Dohohohoho!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Wouldn't x crawl of horrors just be a more deadly legends of the hidden temple?

If you somehow forget how to assemble the silver monkey it summons the sentient sphere of annihilation.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kurieg posted:

...and?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

So I don't know when or if I'll pick up the oChangeling F&F thing again because lmao i'm a mess of sadbrains and trauma but I feel like I should share this:

I saw that on twitter this morning and couldn't help thinking W-WOW OKAY WAS THAT HOW THE POOKA KITHBOOK STARTED IS ONYX PATH GOING TO SUE A CHEESEMONGER FOR INFRINGEMENT

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I don't see any monkey in that picture of cheese, so they should be safe.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Bieeardo posted:

I don't see any monkey in that picture of cheese, so they should be safe.

gdi

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Kurieg posted:

If you somehow forget how to assemble the silver monkey it summons the sentient sphere of annihilation.

What's the Level Adjustment of a Blackball, anyways?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doresh posted:

What's the Level Adjustment of a Blackball, anyways?

None listed, because they're constructs and generally unplayable.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Kurieg posted:

A talking foam replica of the Mask of the Devourer in place of Olmec

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Simian_Prime posted:

I dunno but I bet you a full team of Bards can clear house by bringing along the occupants of a few villages with a few magical songs.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Arivia posted:

None listed, because they're constructs and generally unplayable.

They might not have a CON score, but they do have INT. And they're not unplayable, they just make for challenging roleplaying.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Here's their statblock in 3.5E for anyone interested.

Umbral Blot (Blackball)
Size/Type: Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 57d10+170 (483 hp)
Initiative: +18 (+10 Dex, +8 Superior Initiative)
Speed: Fly 90 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 40 (+10 Dex, +20 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +42/+45
Attack: Disintegrating touch +45 melee (5d6 plus disintegrating touch (Fort DC 38))
Full Attack: Disintegrating touch +45 melee (5d6 plus disintegrating touch (Fort DC 38))
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Disintegrating touch, vortex
Special Qualities: Blindsight 200 ft., construct traits, fast healing 10, planar travel, SR 44; acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic resistance 30
Saves: Fort +19, Ref +29, Will +29
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 30, Con Ø, Int 14, Wis 30, Cha 30
Skills: Hide +62, Listen +52, Move Silently +62, Sense Motive +43, Spot +52, Survival +43
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Sense Motive), Skill Focus (Survival), Stealthy, Track
Epic Feats: Epic Prowess (×3), Epic Skill Focus (Hide), Epic Skill Focus (Listen), Epic Skill Focus (Sense Motive), Epic Skill Focus (Spot), Epic Toughness (×5), Superior Initiative
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 32
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 58-63 HD (Medium-size); 64-79 HD (Large); 80-95 HD (Huge); 96-171 HD (Gargantuan)
Combat
Disintegrating Touch (Ex)
Any material object that comes into contact with a blackball is immediately disintegrated unless it succeeds at a Fortitude save (DC 38). A character or object that has been disintegrated by an umbral blot disappears completely, leaving behind not even dust to mark its passing. Those who make a successful saving throw still take 5d6 points of damage from the disintegrating touch. Likewise, weapons or objects that save take a like amount of damage. (Remember, tended or held objects save with the same bonus as their owners.)

Vortex (Ex)
Normally a blackball insulates itself somehow from the air around it (otherwise it would perpetually be at the center of a howling wind-storm). If it chooses, instead of allowing the air to bend around it, the blackball can suspend this insulation, causing a sudden rush of wind to pour toward the blackball from all directions. This vortex sucks all the air from a 30-foot-by-30-foot-by-30-foot room in a single round, creating a sudden influx of air in its direction. All flying or floating creatures within 30 feet of the umbral blot who fail a Reflex save (DC 38) are swept along with the wind into contact with the blackball. Nonflying creatures within 30 feet who fail a Reflex save (DC 19) are pulled into contact with the umbral blot. Contact with an umbral blot could lead to disintegration, as noted above.

Spell Immunities (Ex)
In addition to the spells that an umbral blot is immune to because of its construct traits, it is immune to disintegration spells and variations thereof.

Planar Travel (Ex)
A blackball can fold space at will, allowing it to use ethereal jaunt, dimension door, greater teleport, or plane shift at will as a standard action.

Construct Traits
Immune to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), and to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromantic effects, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects. Cannot heal damage (though regeneration and fast healing still apply, if present). Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Not at risk of death from massive damage, but destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less; cannot be raised or resurrected. Darkvision 60 ft.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. They and a few other Mystara critters got seriously buffed for that book. The Winter Wight's in the Epic book too, starting at fortyish hit dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Simian_Prime posted:

A talking foam replica of the Mask of the Devourer in place of Olmec

Who would take the place of Kirk Fogg though? Kirk Fogg but a zombie?