Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is it from graveyard to hand as a trigger, or a replacement effect for being put into the graveyard?
Trigger, thought it'd be cleaner. Less weird interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Please stop suggesting cards that are strictly better than basics

Also does anyone know why C with MSE keeps giving me chaos instead of colorless

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Elyv posted:

Please stop suggesting cards that are strictly better than basics

Also does anyone know why C with MSE keeps giving me chaos instead of colorless

I think there's an unofficial patch for it on the forums.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elyv posted:

strictly better

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i wanted to tweak my submission

there isn't anything here

no there's nothing here.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Gaze upon what we have wrought.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Darksteel Citadel's better than Wastes. Nonbasic land are kind of expected to be, in most cases? :shrug:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
It's become an explicit WotC design guideline that nonbasic lands should not be basic land text + upside - basic land type, but should have some drawback in a vacuum (ETBT, only tap for colorless, etc).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Darksteel Citadel's better than Wastes. Nonbasic land are kind of expected to be, in most cases? :shrug:

wastes is an exception, what is the last time a nonbasic printed was better than any other basic in all circumstances except nonbasic land hate

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

"instead sacrifice ~ and your life total becomes 1."

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Edit: See below.

black potus fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 7, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

black potus posted:

Gaze upon what we have wrought.

Looks like this is the "people make the posts I wanna make before I do" thread.

Also, thanks :)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zoness posted:

i wanted to tweak my submission

there isn't anything here

no there's nothing here.

This seems powerful as gently caress since it turns off fetches, wastelands, ghost quarters, and manlands without hurting (presumably) your own mana base

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Skyl3lazer posted:

This seems powerful as gently caress since it turns off fetches, wastelands, ghost quarters, and manlands without hurting (presumably) your own mana base

I'll take 8.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Skyl3lazer posted:

The effect is pretty much the same as Tsabo's Web. This also gives you one mana, Tsabo's Web also gives you a card, so it's pretty much a wash.

Tsabo's Web faded into obscurity once Rishadan Port went away, so I don't see this being huge... unless the set it's in contained cards as nasty as Port.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Gynovore posted:

The effect is pretty much the same as Tsabo's Web. This also gives you one mana, Tsabo's Web also gives you a card, so it's pretty much a wash.

Tsabo's Web faded into obscurity once Rishadan Port went away, so I don't see this being huge... unless the set it's in contained cards as nasty as Port.

This isn't the same as Tsabo's Web at all and also Tsabo's Web could also be disenchanted and countered. This can't be dealt with in any of the usual ways one deals with lands (other lands.)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Don't know if that reminder text is accurate or not, oh well vOv

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 7, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 7, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TWIST FIST posted:

You can force it by making them costs.

Put a creature you control and an island you control on top of their owners' libraries, T: Draw two cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TWIST FIST posted:

It's accurate but the downside can be partially negated by, for example, flickering your creature. It can also be countered by removing both targets.

Also this is insanely powerful. At the very least it should say nontoken.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Aww, man. Crazy! What a build around.

But do you mean for this mana to be used to cast only instants?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mystic Mongol posted:

Aww, man. Crazy! What a build around.

But do you mean for this mana to be used to cast only instants?

Yes. I think the rules enforce that, but I didn't want to add () text because I didn't want to take away from the joke.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 7, 2016

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

black potus posted:

W/e I'm aggressively lazy, so you get text. Maybe I'll mock it later.

E: Pretend the green one ETBT too, I hosed that up.

black potus fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 7, 2016

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

It's accurate but the downside can be partially negated by, for example, flickering your creature. It can also be countered by removing both targets.

Also this is insanely powerful. At the very least it should say nontoken.

rather sloppy patch up

Poison Mushroom posted:

You can force it by making them costs.

Put a creature you control and an island you control on top of their owners' libraries, T: Draw two cards.

That's almost what I want, except that you'd just end up drawing the cards you put there. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Put them on the bottom? "Scry 4, then draw 2 cards"?

A nontoken creature and a land for what's basically a repeatable Brainstorm is not bad at all.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
"Choose a nontoken creature and an island you control. Draw two cards, then put the chosen permanents on top of their owner's library."

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So when I think Lands, I think Zendikar. Which means manlands. But I also think about the Warcraft TCG, which had an interesting system where you could play any card in your hand as a resource.They also had a card type called quests, where you could achieve certain goals and get rewards, at which point the quest would turn face down. Making them perfect for resources, since you could use them as a mana dump. It got me to thinking: could we do this in Magic? And thus my entry:

This was originally a colourless land that transformed to make itself a dual land, but I started with the RW version, whose narrative in my head was a defensible position that would be 'tamed' by its users to become a fortress. From there, it made sense to start it as a particular colour. From there, giving it a land type made sense to make it fetchable, and having it enter the battlefield was a solid downside.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's cool to see so much activity in the competition. I think I should issue a slight clarification on how I'll be judging this since my initial criteria was vague. I did mention "balance", but I didn't say what format I expected it to be balanced for.

You can aim the power level at any commonly played format, so I'll regard a card as "balanced" if I think it can do good but not oppressive things in stuff like Legacy, Modern or Standard. If I think a card could be broken but I'm not sure I'll probably give you the benefit of the doubt if it's only dangerous in shells designed towards the land. I'm a lot less likely to if the land's power mostly arises from it having a very low opportunity cost to the extent that it would end up in almost all on-colour decks (although that might still be OK if I think it would lead to good gameplay).

I will also give some credit for elegant/intuitive designs, although that's not a major focus.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We have precedent for Land Creatures, for Legendary Lands, for colorless Commanders. Why not do all three at once?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 8, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Started with just the white one, then figured why not make it a cycle. Development can tweak the max level up or down separately for each card. I deliberately didn't put combat tricks like first strike or deathtouch on any of them because having that as a repeatable hard-to-destroy 0-mana ability would just ruin combat math for the rest of the game. They're much stronger the fewer colors you're running, so how powerful they could safely be would depend on how good their standard's fixing is.

Poison Mushroom posted:

We have precedent for Land Creatures, for Legendary Lands, for colorless Commanders. Why not do all three at once?

Strictly speaking you can't actually play this from your command zone even if it's your commander, but that can be fixed by changing a single word of the comprehensive rules and that change wouldn't have any other unintended consequences. That's a very clever "mana ability" to give an Eldrazi land.

This card is so cool.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 8, 2016

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

The timing doesn't work for this to spend the mana on a creature and give it haste, right? That's a shame.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mad Jaqk posted:

The timing doesn't work for this to spend the mana on a creature and give it haste, right? That's a shame.

Yeah, unfortunately it would need to be worded "If that mana is spent on a creature spell, it gains haste until end of turn" to do that, but that would break the cycle's symmetry.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Having your land's mana abilities suddenly become counterable is kinda strange. (Yes I know they aren't technically mana abilities.)

Maybe something like

6: Tap: 1

Whenever this land is tapped for mana, you may have up to one target creature gain X until EOT?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Here's some lands that produce mana in weird ways. Unsure if they quite qualify.

And a modal land!

and a Planeswalker land!

e; Toned Valley down a bit whoops.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 9, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

this was only 60% because I wanted to find this image again

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zoness posted:

this was only 60% because I wanted to find this image again

Jeez this makes combat hard

lol