Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
I like World of Cultivation and don't find reading it particularly more bothersome than most xianxia novels. It helps that the translation, other than the bafflingly untranslated terms, is mostly above average for the genre. Anyway, it's still more readable than, say, the Turb0 translation of Kumoko or most baka-tsuki novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Here's some character art from the latest Kumoko novel

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Wow thats not what i expected maou shoujo and sophia to look like at all. Ronand and Juugo are atleast a bit fitting.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

But, seriously, I really like World of Culiviation because other characters actually matter and accomplish worthwhile things on their own. And there's just more of a sense of the characters working as a team. They get to do things. And have areas they're better at than the MC, even if the MC's still terrifyingly talented in a range of areas.

Edit: it's the only series of its ilk ("male MC becomes awesome and amazing") that I haven't dropped. I dropped ISSTH for example, a few Japanese novels, Terror Infinity, Undefeated God of War, etc.

Try Ze Tian Ji, it is really good.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

SerSpook posted:

I've been meaning to.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
That super-short WN someone posted about the driver grabbing the wheel of the magical sentient Japanese Truck, making it miss the intended teenager, and instead travelling into the fantasy world and doing a hit-and-run on the king has me thinking--has anybody done a reverse reincarnation novel yet, where a fantasy monster gets hit by a runaway cart and wakes up as a human in modern-day Japan? It'd be a scheme by the gods to make up for declining birthrates, naturally :v:

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh my god, shield girl is completely nuts. http://www.novelupdates.com/series/itai-no-wa-iya-nanode-bogyo-ryoku-ni-kyokufuri-shitai-to-omoimasu/

a girl playing a vrmmo with a full defense build doesn't sound too special, right? but she eats everything alive, starting with a zombie dragon.

This is pretty great, the way she wins her first 'boss battle' is completely absurd (in a good way).

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

The Lord of Hats posted:

That super-short WN someone posted about the driver grabbing the wheel of the magical sentient Japanese Truck, making it miss the intended teenager, and instead travelling into the fantasy world and doing a hit-and-run on the king has me thinking--has anybody done a reverse reincarnation novel yet, where a fantasy monster gets hit by a runaway cart and wakes up as a human in modern-day Japan? It'd be a scheme by the gods to make up for declining birthrates, naturally :v:

The Devil is a Part-Timer, also available in manga and anime formats. A deposed demon lord finds himself powerless and stranded in modern day japan. Plans to take over the world by working his way up the corporate ladder at McDonalds.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

SerSpook posted:

I wish there were more stories like Ze Tian Ji, I just love every plot that involves gross over-estimation and misunderstanding of the protagonist's abilities.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Pigeotic posted:

This is pretty great, the way she wins her first 'boss battle' is completely absurd (in a good way).

I thought I was getting Rule 63 Shield Hero but instead I got Toriko.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think it is a very good story, what with how it makes absolutely no sense. "ooh, yummy! a pile of rotting meat several times my size!" but it is strange enough for now to keep my interest.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Avulsion posted:

The Devil is a Part-Timer, also available in manga and anime formats. A deposed demon lord finds himself powerless and stranded in modern day japan. Plans to take over the world by working his way up the corporate ladder at McDonalds.

Also has James from Team Rocket in there too. He's a jackass.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

my man have u heard of drakengard

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
generally any stories with a perfectly normal modern setting plus a single unchallenged super powered protagonist always get creepy as gently caress

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yinlock posted:

seriously, we already have a person for that

Yeah me in the mahouka thread, it was poo poo mate

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, since when does meng hao have the memories of his previous incarnations?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

uh, since when does meng hao have the memories of his previous incarnations?

When we got all the backstory about his previous 7 year lives I just assumed that his mom and dad were also telling the story to Meng Hao so he knows about it all anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

When we got all the backstory about his previous 7 year lives I just assumed that his mom and dad were also telling the story to Meng Hao so he knows about it all anyway.

yeah, that's how it has been until now. but now he remembers his first childhood for no apparent reason.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
Side effect of getting his dao fruits maybe?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So I keep seeing this story Les Interprčtes come up on the recently updated list, and was wondering if it was any good. Anyone care to take a dive? I'm too busy reading other stuff to divert over.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
So I finished reading The girl who ate death but the epilogue is no longer online since distractedtranslation shut down their site. If no one else know a place i can find it could someone just spoil me on it?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Tiriganiaq posted:

So I finished reading The girl who ate death but the epilogue is no longer online since distractedtranslation shut down their site. If no one else know a place i can find it could someone just spoil me on it?

That sucks, I don't know where else it might be but she saves the world with potatoes.

edit: Found an epub with the missing parts of chapter 34, but I'm still looking for the epilogue. http://www.mediafire.com/file/a0yavk12zded9hp/The+Girl+Who+Ate+Death.epub

edit 2: Found another missing chapter (but not the last) password is "stnarofedamtnuocca" https://qianweijia.wordpress.com/qwerty/

edit 3: Since I can't find the epilogue, here's what I remember: After the rebels overthrow the kingdom, Schera kills Diener, the rebel spymaster. The new queen can't run things without him, and her dynasty falls apart. The new rebel controlled kingdom slowly turns to poo poo. Decades later they become enemies with the Star Church, which launches a crusade to overthrow the new kingdom. Schera shows up leading the Star Church army, kills everyone left on her poo poo list (and their decendents) then retires from the army to grow potatoes. Eventually she comes up with a disease resistant breed of potatoes that can grow anywhere and don't taste like poo poo, preventing famines, civil unrest, and many wars. In the end she goes back to being a farmer and probably manages to save more people than she ever killed.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 9, 2016

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I think they used magic to show/awaken Meng Hao's memories or whatever.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Avulsion posted:

That sucks, I don't know where else it might be but she saves the world with potatoes.

edit: Found an epub with the missing parts of chapter 34, but I'm still looking for the epilogue. http://www.mediafire.com/file/a0yavk12zded9hp/The+Girl+Who+Ate+Death.epub

edit 2: Found another missing chapter (but not the last) password is "stnarofedamtnuocca" https://qianweijia.wordpress.com/qwerty/

edit 3: Since I can't find the epilogue, here's what I remember: After the rebels overthrow the kingdom, Schera kills Diener, the rebel spymaster. The new queen can't run things without him, and her dynasty falls apart. The new rebel controlled kingdom slowly turns to poo poo. Decades later they become enemies with the Star Church, which launches a crusade to overthrow the new kingdom. Schera shows up leading the Star Church army, kills everyone left on her poo poo list (and their decendents) then retires from the army to grow potatoes. Eventually she comes up with a disease resistant breed of potatoes that can grow anywhere and don't taste like poo poo, preventing famines, civil unrest, and many wars. In the end she goes back to being a farmer and probably manages to save more people than she ever killed.

Whoa did the epilogue actually get translated? I thought they just did a couple of the side stories. I'm really sad I read that spoiler right now btw

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Avulsion posted:

edit 3: Since I can't find the epilogue, here's what I remember: After the rebels overthrow the kingdom, Schera kills Diener, the rebel spymaster. The new queen can't run things without him, and her dynasty falls apart. The new rebel controlled kingdom slowly turns to poo poo. Decades later they become enemies with the Star Church, which launches a crusade to overthrow the new kingdom. Schera shows up leading the Star Church army, kills everyone left on her poo poo list (and their decendents) then retires from the army to grow potatoes. Eventually she comes up with a disease resistant breed of potatoes that can grow anywhere and don't taste like poo poo, preventing famines, civil unrest, and many wars. In the end she goes back to being a farmer and probably manages to save more people than she ever killed

I did not know there were more chapters. I thought the story ended[spoiler] with her dying from poison arrows and the rebels conquering the kingdom.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I was under the -obviously incorrect- assumption that the story ended with Schera dying in the woods after killing Diener, her struggles throughout the story ultimately futile and mostly meaningless. I kind of liked it ending in such a bleak way. Her and Diener both dying, leaving the fate of the kingdom to the survivors, with neither the reader nor any of the most important characters even getting to know how things turn out felt like a pretty good ending consistent with the tone of the work.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
Hey, people who have been putting off World of Cultivation:

I threw together some userscripts to translate the pinyin terms. There's two versions - one that translates on-page, and one that provides translations in tooltips. The tooltip version is better, in my opinion - no subject/verb agreement or word order issues to worry about; plus you'll learn something.

The first chapter has by far the most pinyin words, it's all downhill from there.

These scripts should be good through at chapter 30, and at least useful for the rest. As I recall, the story is basically done introducing new vocabulary at that point.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012

Avulsion posted:

Thank you, this is great. I thought the epilogue was just the missing parts of chapter 34 but I didn't realise there was actually a bit more, thanks again.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Hot drat Genjitsushugisha no Oukokukaizouki (A Realist's Kingdom Reform Chronicles) is good. The guy's bringing out Helsinki's Accord in the middle of negotiations and turns it into a parable. This is on par with that Hero, Be Mine LN featuring an economic reform Demon Queen, in my opinion. The translations are also pretty good (at least, the ones by larvyde is).

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I was really enjoying it, but the fact that half the translations are really trash eventually made me give up on it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

jwang posted:

Hot drat Genjitsushugisha no Oukokukaizouki (A Realist's Kingdom Reform Chronicles) is good. The guy's bringing out Helsinki's Accord in the middle of negotiations and turns it into a parable. This is on par with that Hero, Be Mine LN featuring an economic reform Demon Queen, in my opinion. The translations are also pretty good (at least, the ones by larvyde is).

Glad to hear it's getting the attention it deserves!
It's a pretty neat series, just a shame that they alternate between good and poo poo translators

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Power through the lovely translation parts and just gloss over the sentences for the gist of it. Maybe it's because of how I read, but bad translations doesn't bother me nearly as much as bad plot. Unless the translation is absolutely incoherent, or it's translation of the Chinese version, I wouldn't harp on too much about how bad it is. Best example is the machine translations done of LMS, where the translations can be absolutely terrible at times, but I still can power through it because I'm there for Weed being a penny-pinching douche and the translations aren't to the point where I'm wondering what they're trying to say. When it drops down to something on the level of Baka Dogeza's translation of Knights and Magic, I just give up and call it a day. I can get the basic gist, but reading it is so irritating that the bland plot jumps out and smothers any will to read further.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

jwang posted:

Power through the lovely translation parts and just gloss over the sentences for the gist of it. Maybe it's because of how I read, but bad translations doesn't bother me nearly as much as bad plot. Unless the translation is absolutely incoherent, or it's translation of the Chinese version, I wouldn't harp on too much about how bad it is. Best example is the machine translations done of LMS, where the translations can be absolutely terrible at times, but I still can power through it because I'm there for Weed being a penny-pinching douche and the translations aren't to the point where I'm wondering what they're trying to say. When it drops down to something on the level of Baka Dogeza's translation of Knights and Magic, I just give up and call it a day. I can get the basic gist, but reading it is so irritating that the bland plot jumps out and smothers any will to read further.

I've being doing this reading style more and more since picking up web novels and it's been bleeding over into other reading. Now I can read books at 10 times the speed with none of the pleasure!

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Krunge posted:

Now I can read books at 10 times the speed with none of the pleasure!
New thread title!

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
anyone still reading tales of a careless demon

things in it are ramping up a bit again but the translation seems pretty god drat bad. the english seems ok but sometimes i cant make heads or toes of what actually happens in the chapter

like she was in the light into darkness organization or something, i had to read the comments to figure out that she was regrowing the hairs on bald nobles

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Book 6 of ISSTH has ended with the great revelation of the identity of the First Patriarch. I love the ridiculous scale of this story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like how pissed off he is about all of the random bullshit he got dragged into

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

i like how pissed off he is about all of the random bullshit he got dragged into

Hopefully the clan will reimburse him for all the precious resources he spent in the war. Not to mention the psychological damage.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Seeing some of the awful poo poo that can be popular has emboldened me to inflict my own heinous works upon undeserving Literature.

Repent, ye sinners.

In thread-relevant content, are there any of these stories that are sci-fi (and tolerably good)? And I mean legit sci-fi; stories about hyper-advanced immersive VR that people use to play fancy D&D don't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Seeing some of the awful poo poo that can be popular has emboldened me to inflict my own heinous works upon undeserving Literature.

Repent, ye sinners.

In thread-relevant content, are there any of these stories that are sci-fi (and tolerably good)? And I mean legit sci-fi; stories about hyper-advanced immersive VR that people use to play fancy D&D don't count.

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/skyfire-avenue/

Skyfire Ave has a really slow and odd start (lots of talk about wine, etc the first few chapters) but then picks up

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/tempest-of-the-stellar-war/