Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

enigmahfc posted:

This is probably a far-left field take and more than likely wrong, but maybe Ezra's 'twin suns' comment was actually 'twin sons', and the 'he's alive' Maul was referring to might be his own brother, Savage Oppress. Kind of ties into Maul's question for hope. But yeah, that's probably all wrong.

It's definitely in reference to Kenobi, I think Filoni actually directly said he wanted to do Old Wounds somewhere. How they'll involve the crew of the Ghost without making them feel shoehorned in is the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, that's what I took from it, too.

"Twin Suns" meant Tattooine, and he saw Obi-Wan still alive; he maybe even saw him watching over Luke, since Luke is ultimately the destruction of the Sith.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

enigmahfc posted:

This is probably a far-left field take and more than likely wrong, but maybe Ezra's 'twin suns' comment was actually 'twin sons', and the 'he's alive' Maul was referring to might be his own brother, Savage Oppress. Kind of ties into Maul's question for hope. But yeah, that's probably all wrong.

I'm 100% sure the 'Twin Suns' and 'He's lives!' bits refer to Obi-Wan in hiding on Tatooine. That's why Maul got all giddy. REVENGE!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Gonz posted:

Yeah, that's what I took from it, too.

"Twin Suns" meant Tattooine, and he saw Obi-Wan still alive; he maybe even saw him watching over Luke, since Luke is ultimately the destruction of the Sith.

Until snoke comes round

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Snoke supposedly isn't Sith, according to Pablo and the Lucasfilm storygroup.

Similarly, in the latest Rebels Recon, Filoni said this about Maul.

quote:

"Maul isn't trying to be a Sith. He is trying to be something else, something that he is creating. And many people have tried that over the years and it hasn't worked out, so we'll see how it works out for him."

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Snoke's a hologram, not a Sith.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, the Sith is a very specific religious doctrine, and unless Palp kept some secret adherents (not entirely out of the question, knowing him), it's for all intents and purposes destroyed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Snoke is Maz Kanata's brother, because Abrams is an ordinary director who, as his own writer, has no setting between blindingly obvious and utterly incomprehensible

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Snoke's a hologram, not a Sith.

It's funny you say that as my friend literally proposed that theory to me today. Well, that's he's a holocron, but still.

NTRabbit posted:

Snoke is Maz Kanata's brother, because Abrams is an ordinary director who, as his own writer, has no setting between blindingly obvious and utterly incomprehensible

Though, this is still my theory on it. I mean, they're clearly the same species.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Can't believe Grand Admiral Thrawn, space phrenologist, would cause mass civilian casualties

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
HA! He totally is.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

Savage is my hope, but I'm not optimistic, it's most likely Obi-Wan. I'm just hoping that we won't get a re-thread of Old Wounds. I'm not even sure that Maul's personality would fit that story now..

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It might also refer to Skywalker, since Maul still doesn't know who Vader is underneath the mask - near as I can tell only Palpatine, Tarkin, Yoda, Obi-wan, Ahsoka, and Ezra know that secret, and Ezra might not have heard it properly - but he does still have beef with Anakin, albeit not as much as he does with Kenobi, and he'd be super beefy to learn that Anakin is sitting in his chair at the Sith table

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 3, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Maul has had an interesting character trajectory since he was a piece of fighting balsa wood in Phantom Menace.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pretty sure Ezra has no idea who Vader is. He was too far away and focused on escaping when the mask broke. And to spmeone with no context the earlier conversation implied Vader killed Anakin.

quote:

Snoke Theories

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/garywhitta/status/783146342331801600

So Gary Whitta wrote this upcoming episode. Lets see if it required re-writes :v

E: New clip
https://youtu.be/E0M2RC5ENLI

drunkill fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 4, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

drunkill posted:

So Gary Whitta wrote this upcoming episode. Lets see if it required re-writes :v

Gary Whitta for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G_NEanJBLU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Good ep overall, though my nitpicky side guffawed at the corvette showing up at the end miraculously free of all the giant holes blown in it by the Interceptor earlier in the episode.

Also: "Commander Sato, may I present Wedge Antilles and *awkward pause* Hobbie" :3:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Good episode, I hope that Interceptor pilot Skerris "aka Imperial Viper" (totally looks like him) shows up more. Though I'm sure plenty of people are crying bloody murder it was Soontir.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

is Soontir currently part of Legends?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I know he's obviously not Soontir, but giving his Interceptor red bits on the wings had to at least be a reference, right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

cptn_dr posted:

I know he's obviously not Soontir, but giving his Interceptor red bits on the wings had to at least be a reference, right?

It wasn't just red bits. He had kill markings on the fuselage too.

Judging by those kills A) Xwings are at large B) Viper has been busy. :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The X-Wing like kill marking could be for a Z-95 or something with a similar profile. If the X-Wing was around I can't imagine they wouldn't make a big deal of it, a la the B-Wing prototype. Even a stealthy reference like this would seem unlikely. I'm more curious what the large red triangle thing is. Or is it part of the normal markings or the pilot's personal scheme and not a kill marking?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The red triangle is on both sides, so probably not a kill marking.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This episode brought back so many memories from playing Tie Fighter as a kid. Also kinda funny that three Tie Interceptors destroyed six A-Wings and a transport like they were paper.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It is pretty Star Wars that the ships are as durable and impervious to damage as the plot demands.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Angry Lobster posted:

This episode brought back so many memories from playing Tie Fighter as a kid. Also kinda funny that three Tie Interceptors destroyed six A-Wings and a transport like they were paper.

as soon as Ezra said they were A-Wings I was like "man these are some pretty lovely pilots" I refuse to believe these are "real" A-Wings, not fast enough :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They're an older model. Apparently the Awing is now a Kuat Systems Engineering design that lost to the TIE Fighter in a competition to be the Imperial next gen fighter. So they sold it on the civilian market instead. It has heavier shields and armor and heavier laser cannons compared to the Endor-era A-wing. I'm guessing the Rebels learned a lot from losing all these early A-wings and significantly modified them into the Endor version.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're an older model. Apparently the Awing is now a Kuat Systems Engineering design that lost to the TIE Fighter in a competition to be the Imperial next gen fighter. So they sold it on the civilian market instead. It has heavier shields and armor and heavier laser cannons compared to the Endor-era A-wing. I'm guessing the Rebels learned a lot from losing all these early A-wings and significantly modified them into the Endor version.

Other than two seats, was the a-wing that Ezra and Kanan used in the last episode particularly different to the usual ones?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

As far as I could tell, no. Cockpit wasn't even different externally. Maybe that space behind the pilot is normally used for cargo?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Had a hunt around and it's apparently the rz1t, a trainer version.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I hate this new "canon" exactly because of poo poo like this: it doesn't just throw out the stuff before and after the established movies, it throws out the established backstory of the movies as well and paints over it needlessly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh really? What established backstory from the movies is that? In RotJ you see A-Wings and B-Wings and no facts about them. No one on screen says anything about those fighters, they're just there (and barely there in the case of the B-wing).

Rebels Recon. We're getting more Ryloth in the next episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6em1j3nQcSk

I missed those speeder bike SFX. :allears:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh really? What established backstory from the movies is that? In RotJ you see A-Wings and B-Wings and no facts about them. No one on screen says anything about those fighters, they're just there (and barely there in the case of the B-wing).

Rebels Recon. We're getting more Ryloth in the next episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6em1j3nQcSk

I missed those speeder bike SFX. :allears:

You know the A-wing is a fast interceptor. I'm saying supporting media was built up around these movies and was largely blessed by Lucas and they've decided they're going to reinvent the wheel by making the A-wing something that predates the X-wing rather than cutting-edge tech. It doesn't show up until ROTJ. It doesn't make any sense.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Rebels has already explained "they didn't shown up until RotJ". There are multiple rebels cells all using whatever equipment they can get. Endor was the first time they were gathered in one place. The medical droid didnt' show up until it was fixing up Luke in Empire, are we to assume it and Bacta tanks didn't exist until Empire?

General Dodonna's unit has X-wings and Y-wings (some of them provided by Phoenix Group)
Phoenix Group has A-wings.

I'm sorry that this makes you upset.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Chickenwalker posted:

You know the A-wing is a fast interceptor. I'm saying supporting media was built up around these movies and was largely blessed by Lucas and they've decided they're going to reinvent the wheel by making the A-wing something that predates the X-wing rather than cutting-edge tech. It doesn't show up until ROTJ. It doesn't make any sense.

They have dudes working on the show like Pablo Hidalgo who wrote for the West End Games RPGS (which is largely responsible for the backstory we accepted as the canon back in the days) who are doing their damndest to bring in the good stuff from the old EU.

Also, the A-Wing being in pre-ROTJ was explained even pre-Disney as this guy http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/R-22_Spearhead appearing in stuff like X-Wing, Droids, etc.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Cross-Section posted:

Also: "Commander Sato, may I present Wedge Antilles and *awkward pause* Hobbie" :3:

Hoping Wedge and Hobbie pop up from time to time this season as 'those two guys,' because Hera sure as hell could use some talent in Phoenix Squadron. Hell, it would explain where Hobbie was during Yavin, now that he's already with the rebellion.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

99.9% of the old EU canon was garbage and I'm glad they're completely ignoring it and starting from scratch.

This episode ruled. Season 3 is really starting strong.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Was the training officer the same VO as the Imperial announcer in Battlefront 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, I think it was - Corey Burton.

• Locked thread