Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Formula E is an all-electric championship sanctioned by the FIA. With its third season getting underway today, I thought I'd post a thread for us to discuss it in, because I think it is some of the best motorsport you can watch today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKReRDsOT44&feature=youtu.be&a

Why watch Formula E?

As a new, casual race fan, I loving love Formula E.

First off, races are only 50 minutes long. This is actually not by design, but because of battery limitations. See, in Formula E, instead of having a single car you make last to the end of the race, every driver has two cars, each with 25 minutes worth of battery. Unlike in Formula 1, where tire, engine, and brake wear come into play, in Formula E, drivers only worry about making their battery last and, for the love of god, not crashing and wasting one of their two cars.

I love these short itty-bitty races, though, as someone who's usually completely tuned out an hour into an F1 or NASCAR race. It makes me hope battery technology never actually gets good enough to let them have longer races, though I guess more efficient batteries would probably also be good for, like, humanity as a whole or whatever.

Second, the drivers are minor league in the best way. There's always drivers in each race that just gently caress up a turn and go out of the race - it's not a league full of perfect driving like in F1. This makes races way more exciting, IMO. At the same time, the drivers are good enough that you'll find yourself rooting for at least one by the end of the season.

But my favorite thing about the league is that it's just silly as gently caress. It has an official DJ, Fanboost, and this year they're setting up a self-driving car support series called Roborace. But while it's gimmicky, it's never at the expense of the quality of racing. It's just much more lighthearted than the stoic nature of F1.

Drivers & Teams

Here's a giant cheat-sheet of teams and drivers I stole from Reddit:

How to Watch

TV

US: Fox Sports 1 & 2 (+ the Fox Sports GO app)
UK: Channel 5
Elsewhere: http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/championship/tv-schedule/

Live streams are not available in the US due to geoblocking (I believe this is true for the UK too). However, Youtube streams are available for events not broadcast on TV (in other words, Free Practice 1).

I'm not sure exactly where Formula E is streaming for non-geoblocked viewers this year. Last year it was DailyMotion, but I think this year they're on Youtube?

In addition to live streams, Formula E is unique in that the FIA posts excellent highlight videos on their official Youtube channel. Quoth The Verge:

quote:

Outside of certain countries (like the US), Formula E streams its races for free. If you miss a race, the series usually has a 5–6-minute highlight video posted to YouTube within the first 24 hours. A 15-minute highlight package typically gets posted within a week, and shortly after that the series always uploads a 50-minute version — essentially the full race for free.

If you're coming into the season late, I highly recommend checking out past highlight videos!

Race Schedule

1. Hong Kong
Oct 9 2016
50 Minute Higlights

2. Marrakesh
Nov 12 2016
Race replay / 50 Minute Highlights

3. Buenos Aires
Feb 18 2017
Race replay / 50 Minute Highlights

4. Mexico City
Apr 1 2017

5. Monaco
May 13 2017

6. Paris
May 20 2017

7. Berlin
June 10 2017

8. Brussels ePrix
July 1 2017

9. New York
July 15 2017

10. New York II
July 16 2017

11. Montreal
July 29 2017

12. Montreal II
July 30 2017

Standings

Check http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/results/standings/ for up-to-date standings.

Other Resources

The Formula E subreddit is pretty useful, and has a 24 hour spoiler policy, which is good for those of us who won't be staying up until 4am to watch races.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The next race is Saturday April 1 in Mexico City!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to4jItsw7L0

The cool site that used to list Formula E times is gone apparently, so here's the timetable in Eastern Daylight Time (add +4 hours for GMT, -2 hours for local):

10am - Free Practice 1
12:30pm - Free Practice 2
2pm - Qualifying
6pm - Race

Check your local TV schedule here for additional help with local times. Also, for us Americans, the qualifying broadcast will be delaying until 4:30 on Fox Sports 2, so you might wanna stay outta the thread to avoid spoilers (or, more likely, just find a bootleg stream).

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 31, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bookmarked, as I've been meaning to get into this series for a little bit now.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

harperdc posted:

Bookmarked, as I've been meaning to get into this series for a little bit now.

Same, this will help cover the gap between IMSA seasons

e:4am tomorrow, F that, I'll watch a replay

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 9, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

heads up for Americans staying up: for whatever reason, Fox Sports is airing the qualifying on a two and a half-hour delay :argh:

(it's not hard to get a stream since the geoblocking FIA does is pretty ineffective, but I'd like to support it legitimately, y'know? pump them ratings)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Racing with road car relevance. How novel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you're new to this series, do yourself a favour and watch the last race of the 2015 season. It was loving nuts.

It's never made 100% clear, but FanBoost voting on Twitter involves using the #FanBoost tag followed by the full name of the driver you're voting for. So #FanBoost #JoseMariaLopez if you're a JML fan (I foresee many FanBoost wins for him this season). If you're ever unsure though, most drivers have their tags on their helmet.

Hong Kong looks like one of the best Fe tracks already, little elevation changes and bumps in the middle of corners, a cool as hell layout, all the little unique things you want on a street track. The new front wing makes the cars look a lot better too now they don't have the front wheel pods wobbling around all the time. Everything just looks way more solid like it's an actual racecar rather than the flimsy toy car feeling they had the last 2 seasons. The graphics look a lot better this year as well, they have their own look rather than being the standard FIA graphics only blue.

Also the Youtube stream is only geoblocked when the session is live on TV if its the same as last season. So if you're in the UK Channel 5 are only showing the race live, so you can watch practice and qualifying live on Youtube.

Buemi probably not winning this season, since he's gonna be skipping the 2 New York races to do WEC.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 9, 2016

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

This series is going to own bones once its down to one car a race.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Formula E is so much drat fun.

The strategy of battery management is more involved than it looks. Races tend to close up at the end as cars that burned energy to stay up front have to slow to make the finish and cars that conserved get to drive like hell to close the gap. Top speeds are slower than most formula cars but they accelerate as fast as gently caress. Plus they get really squirrelly on high speed turns, so they look a lot faster than they are.

I was at the FE race in Long Beach in Season 1, and I'll never forget the sound of 22 electric race cars bombing down into the first chicane at the start. It was the most alien thing I've ever heard. It was amazing!

I'm looking forward to Roborace this year, if only for the AIs that are a bit too agressive.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this turn with the bumps and the crosswalk on it is loving brutal

WindyMan posted:

I was at the FE race in Long Beach in Season 1, and I'll never forget the sound of 22 electric race cars bombing down into the first chicane at the start. It was the most alien thing I've ever heard. It was amazing!

I'm planning to go to at least one of the NY double header weekend in July, the track in Red Hook looks pretty dull but I'm excited for a local race either way!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

this turn with the bumps and the crosswalk on it is loving brutal

I'm planning to go to at least one of the NY double header weekend in July, the track in Red Hook looks pretty dull but I'm excited for a local race either way!

Its basically the best overtaking spot too, so people are gonna be trying to outbrake people on that which is gonna cause all kinds of carnage. It's gonna rule.

E: Well this is the carnage I want from a practice session. Di Grassi skid spinning his car in the turn 1 run off and taking his rear wing clean off.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 9, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this loving corner :psyduck:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

We haven't got a solid idea of anyone's pace because no-one's figured out turn 2 yet. And now Lopez finds a new and exciting place to wreck the car.

E: NextEV still poo poo, Piquet still poo poo.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 9, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

fanboost people love this jose maria lopez dude huh

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Fan Boost always has the weirdest results. Aren't they trying to stop people from trying to game it?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This and SST are the most fun series I forget are on TV. I'm glad there's a permanent thread for FE now. :hfive:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

qualifying is starting!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

From a previous thread...I forget who posted this or when:

quote:

Formula-e consists of ten teams and thirty five drivers. Why? Because Formula-e gives no fucks.
Formula-e has a token female driver every other race but not all races. Why is this? Because Formula-e gives no fucks.
The sounds of loud roaring beast-like engines have been replaced with a deadmau5 style 'e-j' who plays banging tunes with occasional cuts of 'SAFETY CAR' or 'FINAL LAP'. Who thought of this? No one knows because Formula-e doesn't give a gently caress.
A car breaks down and a driver gets out, pushes it all the way back to the pits and is allowed to get in his second car and carry on with the race, not only endangering his life but of other drivers too. Formula-e, surely his race is over? Ah.. I see you're giving no fucks.
So many races ive seen an accident happen and its a good lap later before a yellow flag is shown and another lap before a safety car is deployed. I think this is rather dangerous, but Formula-e didn't notice as it was busy not giving a gently caress.
Formula-e gives no fucks.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

they changed a chicane between FP2 and Qualifying, because Formula E gives no fucks

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Man I had no idea this was live on youtube. Not geolocked in UK either! ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paMuZ48-c4k )

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

holy poo poo so many people are down one car :psyduck:

that slomo shot really reinforced my belief that road races need more rally-style ramps and jumps

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this chicane thing is like... someone's gonna lose their job after this right? how do you gently caress that up so bad

e: super pole canceled, yikes!!

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 9, 2016

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Formula E Season 3: The poo poo Show is THE Show

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I wanted to hate Formula E, because there was so much about it that seemed inevitable to cause a shitshow (Fanboost, DRAMATIC MUSIC, car swap pitstops, the mickey-mousiest of street circuit layouts) but god drat if it hasn't somehow produced a really entertaining race series.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

andyf posted:

Man I had no idea this was live on youtube. Not geolocked in UK either! ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paMuZ48-c4k )

Is this available in any freaking country?

Alternately: are there any replays at all available?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Is this available in any freaking country?

Alternately: are there any replays at all available?

Hopefully this is cool by SAS rules (last I checked it's fine to share everything that isn't PPV) - the Formula E subreddit posts stable, non-geoblocked streams you can watch in VLC for every race, in addition to replay torrents that usually go up not that long after the race.

Also, you can pop this stream URL into VLC and scrub the bar forward a bit to see a replay (copy-paste, don't click this link directly): http://aos001feh-live.hls.adaptive.level3.net/formulae/live/wif/streamVideo2000.m3u8

I'll probably just be DVRing Fox Sports in the future, though I don't remember how they handle ads. There's some complaints that Channel 5 in the UK did some real poorly-timed ad breaks, which is a bummer (though now y'all know how us Americans feel watching F1 on NBC :argh:)

Here's the highlight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPaggopePqA

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Streamed it to a file in VLC, thanks.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'm liking the new graphics. The new commentator, not so much. Also, racing.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Did any of the drivers end up using their fanboost today? I didn't see any of them deploy it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Finally got to watch the race. Thoughts.
- Andretti are god drat lightning compared to the last 2 seasons.
- Techeetah have the best livery on the worst car.
- DS Virgin are the Ferrari of Formula E, always willing to piss away a victory in the pits.
- Track was good. Really good. Way better than Shanghai.
- Nelson Piquet apparently remembered to give a poo poo this year, probably related to NEXTEV getting their poo poo together.
- As a touring car fan it's extremely satisfying to see Jose Maria Lopez struggle.

HJB posted:

I'm liking the new graphics. The new commentator, not so much. Also, racing.

The new non-Dario commentator is the FIA's pocket generic commentator. He also does WEC and WTCC and I don't think he's capable of conveying excitement with his voice. There was a 4-wide moment in the recent China WTCC race which was loving nuts but you wouldn't have known it listening to his commentary.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Did any of the drivers end up using their fanboost today? I didn't see any of them deploy it.

Nope, Lopez crashed out before he could do anything and Buemi and Di Grassi weren't in any situation where it would've been worth it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's too bad John Hindhaugh is too busy to commentate on every motorsports event ever.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 11, 2016

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It's too bad John Hindhaugh is to busy to commentate on every motorsports event ever.

When you look at a weekend's motorsports schedule and think "What will I watch?" the most important factor in the decision is what events John Hindhaugh is covering

It was Martin Haven doing FE this week; the usual guy has gone to cover the exciting world of F1 for BBC

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I like Martin Haven :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Piquet apparently had no kerb issues (shocking I know since they got him pole)

https://twitter.com/NelsonPiquet/status/785361990453571584
https://twitter.com/NelsonPiquet/status/785362272877096960

Meanwhile, Japan wants a piece of this. Though Agag is saying it wouldn't be until 2018/19 at the earliest. Whether that means Honda or Nissan are looking to enter as the article says or to put pressure on Mercedes and BMW to commit sooner rather than later I don't know. Though most likely I'd expect BMW to go deeper with Andretti rather than have their own factory team.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Way to misspell Dentsu, one of the largest media/ad firms in the world (just ask the track and field folks) and by far the largest in Japan. If they're involved, it'll happen. Hoping it's Yokohama because I can't imagine where they'd put it in Tokyo that would be both interesting and also not a poo poo-show.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

harperdc posted:

Way to misspell Dentsu, one of the largest media/ad firms in the world (just ask the track and field folks) and by far the largest in Japan. If they're involved, it'll happen. Hoping it's Yokohama because I can't imagine where they'd put it in Tokyo that would be both interesting and also not a poo poo-show.

Turn the Tokyo Expressway track from Gran Turismo into reality.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Full-length ""highlight video"" (re: the full race minus some safety car bits) is up now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCeFOg2shjk

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'm glad they put the winner in the thumbnail so you don't have to waste your time watching it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

According to the race's website the Marrakesh ePrix is going to use the Moulay El Hassan circuit as it is, which would be the first time they've run the full layout of a more or less permanent track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

:siren: ITS RACE WEEK :siren:

This Saturday we get to watch a rare Formula E race on an actual purpose built track that still gets called a street circuit because a bit of it is public road sometimes. It's Marrakesh! This is a track Jose Maria Lopez knows and probably no-one else on the grid does so he'll have even fewer excuses for sucking this time.

• Locked thread