Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Don Lapre posted:

Dude the 960's should be out within weeks.
How soon are we talking? They were just announced late September and I'm finalizing my build next week. I was gonna go with an Intel 750 or 600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Concurred posted:

How soon are we talking? They were just announced late September and I'm finalizing my build next week. I was gonna go with an Intel 750 or 600.

"mid october" is the only thing official.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, if anything, the 960s have a built-in heat spreader. The 950 got pretty warm, especially in those slots under the GPU.

The 950 might get marked down once the 960s are in channel, too.

I'm hoping for some good Black Friday / CyberMonday sales this year.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Concurred posted:

"October." =/

Generally that means the latter half or *end* of October.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The freaking Polaris controller is probably going to be worth it :smithicide:

I'm also sitting on a new build. I know the feeling.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

To those impatiently awaiting the 960s who might be tempted to do/fall for something dumb:

There are a few assholes selling SM961s on eBay calling them 960 Pros, don't get suckered. Consider the 961s the 'Samsung 959' drive - they're bare green PCBs save for an identification sticker like the 950 Pros'. 960s are black PCBs with a snazzy black ID sticker. They'll also probably never get a firmware update, and even if they do, you won't be able to apply it easily.

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/samsung-2tb-960-pro-and-evo-ssds-announced-samsung-ssd-global-summit-2016/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 7, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was at NVMe plugfest this week (a real thing) and can't go into too much details but there are a LOT of chinese brands bringing NVMe drives out in the near future. That was my biggest takeaway.

Also M.2 is really getting traction in the enterprise space, surprising some folks.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The thing is that the random 4k performance is by far the most important metric and as you can see in the charts posted earlier a SSD will be 40-100 times faster in that type of work so yeah, even with the bottleneck a SSD will be vastly faster than any HDD.

Not to mention latency even on a SSD on slowass SATA is still some ~500x faster than a HDD.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGsDWRxfjTk&t=3396s

Anyone got any info or confirmation on this?

Apparently, both Firefox and Chrome write their respective recovery sessions every 15 seconds. Firefox supposedly does 10GB a day and this will eventually kill an SSD faster than normal unless you tweak the settings.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, both Firefox and Chrome write their respective recovery sessions every 15 seconds. Firefox supposedly does 10GB a day and this will eventually kill an SSD faster than normal unless you tweak the settings.

Yep, it's a thing.

Not sure why it isn't something like 3 minutes by default.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Concurred posted:

Those are not really similar drives other than both being NVMe. The 750 should destroy the 600 of course.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's true, but it's still a fairly insignificant amount of data even if it's a "lot" of writes. I usually keep 200+ tabs open in chrome and here's my 500GB 850 EVO's stats:
384 days power on
8171 GB total host writes
average 21.28GB/day

As you can see from this image in the OP, if I continually use this disk in this manner (and if I add in some write amplification) I will wear it out in approximately 93.5 years. When I'm 130 years old I don't think I'll give a gently caress about a 93 year old SSD, and if I do, I'm sure I can find one in better shape on whatever has replaced ebay by then.

Steve Gibson is not stupid but he's got some really weird opinions about computers and software. He's a bit of a kook and isn't really the best resource for a lot of things.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

One could also use the far more conservative numbers that Samsung itself provides in the warranty. For a 250GB 850 EVO, the warranty is 5 years/75TBW, which works out to about 40GB/day. The 850 EVOs larger than 250GB allow for 80GB/day.

Given that Samsung doesn't consider you to be a 'heavy user' until you cross those lines, I'm not going to lose sleep over what is likely my main, most-used process (a web browser) eating 1/8-1/4 of my daily quota. One could easily use a car analogy here, but in any case, drives (spinning rust or SS) should be considered wear-items. I'm not going to trust any drive older than 5 years, so there's little point in 'babying' it until then.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I know the 960 Evo is going to be the new hotness, but is there anything really "wrong" with the Intel 600p? MSRP is $60 cheaper for the 512GB and performance seems not as good as the 960's will be but still better than the 850's?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

I usually keep 200+ tabs open in chrome
:laffo:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
It's not unheard of:

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/1/8695555/browser-tabs

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
It's no use wasting time pruning tabs. Computer performance grows faster than the load caused by all those tabs. Of course you can't do that on Chrome because gently caress horizontal tabs.

So it's about 376 tabs for the default Firefox profile, 236 for the profile dedicated for Something Awful, 196 tabs for YouTube profile, 478 in the profile for all kinds of projects, latest about upgradijng and rooting my tablet, and then bunch of other profiles I don't have running currently.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I could never understand people who keep hundreds of tabs open. Most content these days expires an hour after it's generated so 3/4 of those will become 404s or session expires

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I could never understand people who keep hundreds of tabs open. Most content these days expires an hour after it's generated so 3/4 of those will become 404s or session expires

Not everyone uses clickbait Web 3.0 sites.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

When can I expect to not pay out the rear end for NVMe? I looked at 1TB drives and saw $600-$700 and said gently caress that poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

When can I expect to not pay out the rear end for NVMe? I looked at 1TB drives and saw $600-$700 and said gently caress that poo poo.

You can preorder a 1TB 960 EVO for ~$470 at the moment through Samsung's website.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You can preorder a 1TB 960 EVO for ~$470 at the moment through Samsung's website.

What's the expected release date for it? I don't see one on the page.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Wacky Delly posted:

I know the 960 Evo is going to be the new hotness, but is there anything really "wrong" with the Intel 600p? MSRP is $60 cheaper for the 512GB and performance seems not as good as the 960's will be but still better than the 850's?

No, nothing wrong with it. I bought a 512GB 600p to go in my new laptop since at the time the 960 release hadn't been announced. It seems to be at least as fast as any other SSD I've ever used (I have a 13" Haswell MBP as a work laptop and an 850 EVO in my desktop) and there have been no problems with it.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much the sequential performance difference between the 600p and something faster would ever matter to a consumer. When your read speeds are already faster than 10G Ethernet you're pretty much ensuring that your bottleneck is somewhere else, and that goes double for the write speeds since there's basically nothing I can connect to a laptop with read speeds able to keep up with 600MBps or whatever it does.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 11, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

What's the expected release date for it? I don't see one on the page.

Anywhere from tomorrow to the end of October. There were whispers of October 9th, but I think Samsung's been a trifle busy having to do a complete and total recall of the Note 7.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wacky Delly posted:

It has kind of a funky lockdown mode once it runs out of spare cells.

quote:

How Intel's consumer SSDs expire once you surpass the endurance threshold is troubling. In an almost over-zealous move to protect user data, Intel instituted a feature on many of its existing SSDs that automatically switches it to a read-only mode once you surpass the endurance threshold. Surprisingly, the read-only state only lasts for a single boot cycle. After reboot, the SSD "locks" itself (which means you cannot access the data) to protect the user from any data loss due to the weakened flash. The operating system typically generates error notifications when an SSD switches into a read-only mode, so most users will restart without being aware that the SSD will be inaccessible upon the next reboot. The process to recover the data is unclear. We reached out to Intel to verify if the 600p also has this feature, but have yet to receive a response.

EDIT: 9/23/2016 Intel clarified the nature of the read-only feature, which is not based upon the endurance limit. All SSDs have spare area that is dedicated to replacing failed cells. The Intel 600p only switches into a read-only mode when the spare area is exhausted. Intel also noted users can copy the data from a read-only SSD by installing it as a secondary drive in another computer. Intel provided an official response outlining the recovery procedure, and we include a more detailed explanation in the link.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-600p-series-ssd-review,4738.html

Seems convenient that it just happened to burn through its spare cells at just the point in time where the endurance was completed (which is much lower than it is now I guess?). Not sure I believe that. But whatever.

Other than that it's fantastic for what it is. It's not like 950 Pro fast but it's way faster than the 850 Evo. I was really tempted back when I was looking at getting more space, but that end-of-life lockdown mode thing really gives me the heebie-jeebies :staredog:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 12, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.techspot.com/news/66635-western-digital-returns-ssd-market-launches-green-blue.html

Sandisk got bought? I didn't even know.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There was a bit of talk about it on anandtech for a while but nobody here paid attention at the time.

Also I love that they're selling the WD brand name for an extra $50 for an upclocked x400 :allears:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Also I love that they're selling the WD brand name for an extra $50 for an upclocked x400 :allears:
With a shorter warranty!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:wtc:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
It's WD, they'll sell for below MSRP like a week or two after launch

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's no point to these drives at those prices.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Paul MaudDib posted:

It has kind of a funky lockdown mode once it runs out of spare cells.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-600p-series-ssd-review,4738.html

Seems convenient that it just happened to burn through its spare cells at just the point in time where the endurance was completed (which is much lower than it is now I guess?). Not sure I believe that. But whatever.

Other than that it's fantastic for what it is. It's not like 950 Pro fast but it's way faster than the 850 Evo. I was really tempted back when I was looking at getting more space, but that end-of-life lockdown mode thing really gives me the heebie-jeebies :staredog:

Interesting. I'm not buying for another week or so. Hopefully the samsungs will be out by then. Thanks!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

There's no point to these drives at those prices.
There is, it's "making money off of people who don't know what Sandisk is"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Consumer SSD's started to hit the market in what, 2008/2009?

Everyone kept saying "Seagate/WD/Hitachi" will jump in when they know the time is right...they have the logistics and connections and the supply chain...

But they never came in and wiped out the little guys. Or, are we still waiting?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The Intel 600p only switches into a read-only mode when the spare area is exhausted. Intel also noted users can copy the data from a read-only SSD by installing it as a secondary drive in another computer. Intel provided an official response outlining the recovery procedure, and we include a more detailed explanation in the link.

Assuming this is actually what happens, bravo Intel. You simply cannot use a SSD with no spare NAND. I'd happily buy one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Consumer storage dollars don't matter in the grand scheme when compared to enterprise and OEM dollars.

Bob Morales posted:

they have ... the supply chain...
But they didn't. If you go back, you'll see smart people saying "they don't have NAND manufacturing capability so they can't get costs low enough for it to make business sense for them." It's always been about the NAND. The companies that have capitalized the most on the SSD revolution all have NAND manufacturing capabilities: Samsung, Intel, and Toshiba.

Bob Morales posted:

Or, are we still waiting?
WD now has access to NAND via their HGST acquisition (Intel partnership) and their SanDisk acquisition (Toshiba partnership). We'll likely see them make concerted efforts in the enterprise SSD space, and half-hearted consumer stuff just to keep the brand name out there.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 12, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Bob Morales posted:

Everyone kept saying "Seagate/WD/Hitachi" will jump in when they know the time is right...they have the logistics and connections and the supply chain...

But they never came in and wiped out the little guys. Or, are we still waiting?

Samsung and Intel are hardly 'little guys'.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Skandranon posted:

Samsung and Intel are hardly 'little guys'.

Fun fact: Samsung has a slightly higher GDP than Hungary.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Fun fact: Samsung has a slightly higher GDP than Hungary.

Which is why whenever you visit South Korea you wonder if they own the country since the name is pretty much on *everything*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Which is why whenever you visit South Korea you wonder if they own the country since the name is pretty much on *everything*.

they basically do

samsung is essentially above the law there