Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

muike posted:

So who's side is Zeke actually on? Is he still following Bert and Reiner's original mission?

He certainly can't be too happy with Grisha, but seems sympathetic to Eren.

Yeah he's definitely attempting to gain control of the coordinate and is the leader of the mission that Bert and Reiner were a part of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
There's has to be other human civilizations out there besides the Mare and the Elodians, right? I wonder if there's other countries out there that's wants tp stay out of the shitstorm that's been going on between Mare and Elodia for centuries.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

there are, Mare and Elodia are just an experiment by a proper future civ who keep Mare, Elodia, and a few surrounding populations in a gigantic force field

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think the chapter specifically said that the Marley have been using the Titans for military purposes, but the worry that other nations would develop tanks and guns and poo poo is what has led to the whole "we need oil!" thing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Fister Roboto posted:

I was kind of disappointed to find out that this apparently doesn't take place on Earth anymore, but this owns if true.

I forgot what made everyone think it was Earth (me included), Mikasa being Japanese?

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
The piece of foreshadowing that stood out to me as not fitting in with this reveal was the way the true ruler was this crazy guy who constantly ranted about sin and sinners. I have now thought of a theory to explain this: The story told by the Mare is correct, but Ymir never went along with it. He/She was super missed off about all the other titans going all kill-crazy on everybody else, and when the titans lost and were forced onto the island, set about punishing the descendants because Ymir thinks like the Mare do.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I think the chapter specifically said that the Marley have been using the Titans for military purposes, but the worry that other nations would develop tanks and guns and poo poo is what has led to the whole "we need oil!" thing.

I guess if Levi, a single person who is exceptional, can gently caress up dozens of non-sentient titans with swords, imagine what proper world war 2 artillery and air force (that seems to be the level of tech of this world, unless Marley is also a backwater) can do even to the Colossal Titans.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

davidHalestorm posted:

I guess if Levi, a single person who is exceptional, can gently caress up dozens of non-sentient titans with swords, imagine what proper world war 2 artillery and air force (that seems to be the level of tech of this world, unless Marley is also a backwater) can do even to the Colossal Titans.
World War 2? Judging by what? The airplanes are WWI at best, and the ships wouldn't be out of place in the US Civil War. Judging by that automobile in the background of the city, I wouldn't be surprised if the functional internal combustion engine is a brand new invention... which would explain the sudden interest in oil.

Also, for the sake of clarification... in early translations the modern oppressor nation was called "Mare." I take it Marley is the official transliteration?

Edit:

Mordaedil posted:

At the time when we were discussing the release of Pillars of Eternity on these forums, I think it was forums poster Eiba that came with the feedback that the riverbanks wouldn't work the way they were drawn at the reveal of the map, so the developer took the feedback to actually change the coastline to correspond with the feedback.
Oh, hi. Yep. That was really cool, actually. Though I feel like he thought I was more of an expert than I was. I'm totally just an enthusiastic amateur when it comes to fake cartography. (The original rivers were still really badly impossible and I'm glad I could help fix them.)

Eiba fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 9, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

comedyblissoption posted:

and it's zeke's titan that sends them to heaven

If this is the case, if he gains the coordinate for himself as well as having a Titanification ability, he could theoretically go home and Titan nuke the country by converting the entire ghetto and setting them on a directed rampage

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I just realized... you would have thought Grisha would learn his lesson about entrusting his political dreams to his way-too-young son after it went so badly wrong the first time.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Edit: Whoops should have read the previous page.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 9, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Okay, yeah, so I get all this, but how do the titans end up in New York fighting Spiderman?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

there are, Mare and Elodia are just an experiment by a proper future civ who keep Mare, Elodia, and a few surrounding populations in a gigantic force field
Matryoshkanime, Walled Cities inside Attack on Titan inside Scrapped Princess

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eiba posted:

Also, for the sake of clarification... in early translations the modern oppressor nation was called "Mare." I take it Marley is the official transliteration?

In the one Ive read (not crunchroll) it was Marley, and they are sent to "Utopia" instead of "Heaven"

Fister Roboto posted:

The point of the scouts was that they were founded based on the premise that there was nothing but titans outside the walls.

They were founded (I suppose) by the king, who knows that aint true

dis astranagant posted:

The scouts are just there to get rid of anyone curious enough to threaten the system.

Yeah, makes sense

So, "Hometown" is the continent, right? How do we know Zeke is still faithful to Marley? I got a feeling that he is trying to get the cordinate power to himself

Also, this revelations put that crazy church in another perpective. They exist to protect and keep the biggest weapon ofmass destruction in the world

edit:

Archenteron posted:

If this is the case, if he gains the coordinate for himself as well as having a Titanification ability, he could theoretically go home and Titan nuke the country by converting the entire ghetto and setting them on a directed rampage

yeah, I bet is something like this

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I always knew this was about Japan imperialism and stuff about how the author thinks they should've kept invading, but jesus christ it was overt on this chapter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It makes me laugh the plot of Attack on Titan revolves around a conflict over crude oil.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
My thinking is that while the mainland was developing WW1 technology, King Reiss was researching Titan tech. If the history illustrations are accurate, it looks like the 9 core titans were born the way they are now. It's possible that tools like the vial that gave Eren armour powers is a new creation that Reiss made. There could be storehouses of Titan mods out there somewhere.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Angry Grimace posted:

It makes me laugh the plot of Attack on Titan revolves around a conflict over crude oil.

There's just something so quaint about the ultimate Marley motives being so grounded after all the really wild conspiracy theories about what's in the outside world.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I always knew this was about Japan imperialism and stuff about how the author thinks they should've kept invading, but jesus christ it was overt on this chapter.
Nah, if anything this is portraying people who wish for a return to days of old imperial power to be naive at best. "We may have been ruthless conquerors, but we brought infrastructure!" is supposed to come off as kind of unhinged.

There's a bunch of overlapping allegory too, so it's clearly not commenting on any one modern situation. If there's any message here, it's that tragedy begets tragedy as groups who abused their power are themselves abused when they lose it. Or rather their innocent descendants are abused. No one is just here.

I wouldn't even put Japanese imperialism on the list of things that clearly inspired this situation. I'd say the clear ones are Jews being held responsible for killing Christ (or the situation of the Burakumin, though I've seen zero examples of popular Japanese media that deal with this even tangentially so I'd be surprised if this was intentional), Chiang Kai Shek retreating to Taiwan leaving mainland China to the communists, North Korean backwards isolationism backed up by nuclear weapons, the "immanent threat" of Iraq being a cover for a war for oil.

I don't see Japanese imperialism being a major inspiration unless there's an angle I'm not really seeing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I don't see it ether. It's fairly obvious to me that both sides are clearly biased. We never will likely learn the whole truth, but it honestly does not matter for our protagonists.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

I was wrong with my own pet theory slightly inspired by Nausicaa of being our world's future where at some point biological weapons ie. Titans started being used in ww3 and then ran amok creating a post-apoc scifi setting.
this is actually still possible with society resetting many generations after an apocalyptic event and the titan power being carried on from before the apocalypse

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 9, 2016

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I don't see it ether. It's fairly obvious to me that both sides are clearly biased. We never will likely learn the whole truth, but it honestly does not matter for our protagonists.

I just hope we'll see some sympathetic Marley civilians eventually to cement that there are no good or bad guys per se.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

davidHalestorm posted:

I'm kinda of worried about this, actually. Artillery and Airplanes versus Giant people doesn't seem like very dynamic action.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Eiba posted:

Nah, if anything this is portraying people who wish for a return to days of old imperial power to be naive at best. "We may have been ruthless conquerors, but we brought infrastructure!" is supposed to come off as kind of unhinged.

That's also a literal thing said by some people in Great Britain about the British Empire, even now.

... Oh god, it's all clear now. Retreating from a continent to an island, building walls to keep the outside world at bay? Attack on Titan has been about Brexit all along.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It still can be about Japan imperialism. Exactly, about anti-Japan imperialism. Wasn't Japan imperialism all about getting resources? Aren't the bad guys here planning an invasion to get crude oil?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I don't really like this "everything has to be a direct allegory" mindset. It clearly takes inspiration from several historical groups but I wouldn't say it's a 1:1 on any specific concept.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

It still can be about Japan imperialism. Exactly, about anti-Japan imperialism. Wasn't Japan imperialism all about getting resources? Aren't the bad guys here planning an invasion to get crude oil?
My understanding is that Japan saw themselves as a tiny island full of spirit but poor in resources that was forced by a hostile world to defend themselves, and they needed resources to do that. That's the most sympathetic history that Japanese nationalists believe about themselves. It really doesn't work as a parallel to the big mainland invading the tiny island. Whether they were victims or villains, their underdog status is undisputed in Japan (which sill isn't quite accurate and makes it hard for them to see Korea's perspective, for instance). Or at least that's my understanding.

Nina posted:

I don't really like this "everything has to be a direct allegory" mindset. It clearly takes inspiration from several historical groups but I wouldn't say it's a 1:1 on any specific concept.
It's definitely not 1:1, but anything depicted as unjust can be read as a condemnation of the thing it's vaguely like, while our noble heroes will inevitably endorse something, which reads as an endorsement of its vague equivalent.

So far everything's been condemned in a fairly uniform way, so any parallels are acknowledging that history sucked, which is fairly uncontroversial. What's going to be interesting and perhaps more contentious is how our heroes are going to respond.

Erin's entire motivation has been "kill all the Titans" to a monomaniacal extreme. What does he think when he reads this? Who does he blame? Will he be persuaded by his fathers ideals? Will he transfer his rage against the Titans to the Marley? They do seem to be the ones responsible for the death of his mother. What form will his rage take, and will it be portrayed as just or deranged?

What will the new political order in the walls do? Will they launch a war against the outside world? How will they justify it and will they be portrayed as sympathetic?

Or maybe any sort of culpability will be evaded by making our heroes continue to react. If they face another attack, there's no moral question about their defense. I wonder if the Marley will figure out that no one in the walls knows how to activate the doomsday weapon anymore, freeing them up to launch a conventional invasion. That would be weird.

I kind of lost whatever my point was going to be there, but in any case I'm interested to see what will happen next. I wonder if the author will be able to retain the zombie horror of Titans when the real battle now seems to be between humans.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Clearly the steam emitted by the colossal titan in the first chapter is a direct reference to commandore Perry using steam frigates to open Japan to the outside world.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eiba posted:

"We may have been ruthless conquerors, but we brought infrastructure!" is supposed to come off as kind of unhinged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

Nina posted:

No one has claimed it was a 1:1 allegory.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 9, 2016

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

hey, at least in this chapter Grisha's revolutionary group has been shown to be dangerously naive and blinded by fanaticism. if this pans out, I might give Isayama my coveted "not as much as an apologist for Imperial Japan as I thought you were" award

but imo the whole mixing of historical analogies gets kinda weird whenever you bring in the "Jewish people living in ghettos circa WWII, armbands and everything" comparison, that has a high probability of being crassly insensitive at best.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://mangastream.com/r/attack_on_titan/086/3727/1

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wild theory time

I'm guessing the other titan the royal family took with them is related to the Ackermans, like maybe they split the power among the bloodline somehow. This doesn't really explain why they'd be immune to the Progenitor's mind wipe power though.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 10, 2016

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Maybe the King decided he's fed up with constant war and told everyone, the Marleys and his clansmen, to go gently caress themselves and built his walls and crazy kingdom where noone has to fight eachother.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nina posted:

I just hope we'll see some sympathetic Marley civilians eventually to cement that there are no good or bad guys per se.

Honestly Kruger the officer who caught them did not seem too bad despite the whole kicking him thing. (His partner was a poo poo however.)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mycot posted:

I forgot what made everyone think it was Earth (me included), Mikasa being Japanese?

Yes, and everyone else being German.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

RatHat posted:

Wild theory time

I'm guessing the other titan the royal family took with them is related to the Ackermans, like maybe they split the power among the bloodline somehow. This doesn't really explain why they'd be immune to the Progenitor's mind wipe power though.

The science side of titans hasnt been addressed at all, but all the talk of brainwaves, nervous systems, spinal fluid implies titanification isnt completely magic. I do like how the outside world calls the titan power a deal trom the devil, while the Reiss family reveres the progenitor as a god. gently caress I wasnt expecting the basement to own this much. Can't wait to see how non-titan bloodlines like the ackermans fit in

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly Kruger the officer who caught them did not seem too bad despite the whole kicking him thing. (His partner was a poo poo however.)

I did wonder about that... perhaps him telling Eren to stay was meant to keep him there, so his partner could do his thing.

The real mystery that was introduced that I definitely expect to be relevant at some point in the future is who is owl, the contact in the Marley government. Not much to go on at this point, although maybe Grishna will have something to say next chapter...

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
It's not like killing both of them would be any more difficult than killing one. I don't think that they planned anything. His partner was just a sadist who figured he'd kill a person who was considered disposable by the society that they lived in.

If anything, it makes him worse since the guy is probably aware of his partner's proclivities. If he really cared then he would've kept both of the kids with him to watch the blimp.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
What a depressing reveal. Outside the walls, not freedom and peace, but only an even larger war. Not virgin land to explore but enemies full of hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, I was thinking: on an early translation Ive read, they trnaslated the place where people are sent to become mindless titans "Utopia", where in other translations it was "paradise" or "heaven". I know no japanese, but to me it feels that "Utopia" is probably the most apt.

Based on what Fritz said about the king retreat and what we know about the walled kingdom, maybe that was really the idea: an Utopia, a perfectly stable society without conflict or change. The walled kingdom is sheltered (well, was) from outside conflict by being completely isolated and sitting on a huge stockpile of weapons of mass destruction. And internally, society is kept united and under control by the idea that they are the last bastion of humanity surrounded by the horror of the titans

And it was kinda working too, before Marley decided they wanted their oil and cordinate power

edit: one thing that is kinda of confusing: Marley is said to be using the power of the 7 titan to advance and rule the continent. At the same time, they need eldian children to use the titan power to attack the walls

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 10, 2016