Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

MikeJF posted:

Eh, I got such a strong 'evil slutty bisexual' vibe from that.

Call it what you want, someone that isn't "no homo 100% straight" and "hey guys I'm the token gay man on this show" is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Lechtansi posted:

Call it what you want, someone that isn't "no homo 100% straight" and "hey guys I'm the token gay man on this show" is loving awesome.

I think the concern is more that old trope that "Evil is sexually liberated" thing, which correlates to "sexual liberation is evil". Like how evil versions of characters will, seemingly as part of their evilness, also dress promiscuously, act sexually aggressive, and/or hit on everyone regardless of gender.

There's a pretty strong history of sexuality being used as short hand for evil, so it's a reasonable concern. I'm willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt for now, but that doesn't give it a free pass from everyone.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Gladi posted:

Yes, And my phone literally says "you have a phone call from Father", and it says that even if somebody else is calling from his phone. Hosts are just machines with a script generated response.

Um ok but she's a host who says "hey I'm a host, I have to sleep with you if you want." Meanwhile all the other hosts in the actual game have to sleep with the guests if they ask but they think they're humans. I understand your desire to jump into this with a real scorching take but you're wrong.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I hope HBO give blacklivesmatter credit where credit is due. The way guests treat the hosts is so obviously an allegory for the way cops treat black people. But probably not as HBO makes the one black character in the show a hooker rather than an hero. I'm pretty disgusted with how they've handled the race issue so far.

:shepface:

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

JossiRossi posted:

I think the concern is more that old trope that "Evil is sexually liberated" thing, which correlates to "sexual liberation is evil". Like how evil versions of characters will, seemingly as part of their evilness, also dress promiscuously, act sexually aggressive, and/or hit on everyone regardless of gender.

There's a pretty strong history of sexuality being used as short hand for evil, so it's a reasonable concern. I'm willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt for now, but that doesn't give it a free pass from everyone.

I'm right there with you on the "this dude is evil and they are showing him whoring it up cuz look hey evil" thing, but adding in a tiny detail like him being bi/queer is cool.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Lechtansi posted:

I'm right there with you on the "this dude is evil and they are showing him whoring it up cuz look hey evil" thing, but adding in a tiny detail like him being bi/queer is cool.

One example where I think it was a nice detail was in Lucifer (of all places) where there's a tiny scene where he gets out of bed next to a guy. It's never addressed or made a big deal of. Of course Lucifer would sleep with dudes, guy is all about having fun. But within the context of the show it's a pretty positive portrayal? Like, a big part of his character is that he's not evil, and really dislikes the bad rap he gets. He just likes pleasures and stuff.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

MikeJF posted:

Eh, I got such a strong 'evil slutty bisexual' vibe from that.

They are setting up the "how does newbie white hat turn into bittervet black hat" dichotomy for them. All of that just serves to reinforce how much the gamespace changes the players and how poor white hat is going to be banging robohookers and choking out robocoybows before the season is out (misses back home be damned). He'll probably end up ~actually~ murdering his douchey friend.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They are setting up the "how does newbie white hat turn into bittervet black hat" dichotomy for them. All of that just serves to reinforce how much the gamespace changes the players and how poor white hat is going to be banging robohookers and choking out robocoybows before the season is out (misses back home be damned). He'll probably end up ~actually~ murdering his douchey friend.

Just realized that if he's going to be a main character that means the season can only cover about a week or so, unless he gets killed or something.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Did someone mention that you could be a cannibal in the show? How would you feast on robot flesh?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

So is a third episode of this coming out tonight, or did we just get tonight's episode early?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ymgve posted:

Did someone mention that you could be a cannibal in the show? How would you feast on robot flesh?

Well a cannibal cult leader was one of lawman dad's past host roles.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pharmaskittle posted:

So is a third episode of this coming out tonight, or did we just get tonight's episode early?

Tonight will just be the one that was on HBO go two days ago. We got it early because the presidential debate in on at the same time.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Pharmaskittle posted:

Early, HBO Now early release scheduling scheme possibly due to US presidential debate.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Jack Gladney posted:

Just realized that if he's going to be a main character that means the season can only cover about a week or so, unless he gets killed or something.

A month seems like the timeframe for one "playthrough," the website ARG mentioned it resetting every four weeks, iirc. I'm guessing time is going to be pretty fluid on the show and we will see multiple visits from all of the human guests.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

crazysim posted:

Early, HBO Now early release scheduling scheme possibly due to US presidential debate.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea the next debate was tonight.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ymgve posted:

Maeve's giant bloody flesh wound looked pretty human and fleshy to me

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Paperhouse posted:

Maeve's giant bloody flesh wound looked pretty human and fleshy to me

From edible underwear to edible...uhhhh...under parts? I wonder if they come in flavors. :zombie:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

This most of this thread is :shepface:

Any decent discussion is ignored, while some moron posts 'and we haven't even gotten confirmation that Maeve is indeed a host' despite three scenes minimum that show her getting reprogrammed/her duties shifted to the other hostitute' gets like pages of discussion. People are taking the rabbit hole too freaking deep and looking waaaaay too hard for allegory or metaphor where it either doesn't exist or isn't that difficult to figure out.

Or they're bringing up BLM (lol, really?)

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
Wake up, Dolores

Wake up, and smell the...

...ashes

e: PANIC PANIC PANIC

IT'S loving SPREADING

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 10, 2016

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Its a loving virus :stare:

^ yeah that

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

By the pricking of my thumbs

something wicked this way comes

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This dude in the black hat really needs to die asap.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

oh, this is gonna get real fuckin ugly, reeeeeaaaaal fuckin fast

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I think that dude he shot through the wall was a guest.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

Why do you think that?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

AndItsAllGone posted:

Why do you think that?

I thought he hosed with his gun in some way before he fired.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

OldTennisCourt posted:

I don't think that's really possible. Security obviously has an eye on the man in black, so if he'd shot a guest you'd think they would have reacted. Plus, the conversation that the two security guys had right before that make it sound a lot like they have ways of slowing down or diverting guests who go out that far, and he was currently the only one out there.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

I thought he hosed with his gun in some way before he fired.

i'm not sure what make or model gun Harris is using, but it has a second barrel capable of loading buckshot shells; he was adjusting the hammer so that the next trigger pull would fire that one instead of a normal bullet

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Argus Zant posted:

i'm not sure what make or model gun Harris is using, but it has a second barrel capable of loading buckshot shells; he was adjusting the hammer so that the next trigger pull would fire that one instead of a normal bullet

Yup https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeMat_Revolver

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Wild prediction: When the hosts finally do rebel, Teddy's gonna be the most evil and sadistic one.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

e:Never mind. Mixing things up in my head.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 10, 2016

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Honestly that dude with the black hat showing the park off to his buddy was obnoxious as poo poo. Oh no dude, not like I maybe wanna explore the park at my own pace, please haul me around like a loving creep.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, that scene with stabbing the NPC's hand was horrifying.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I hope HBO give blacklivesmatter credit where credit is due. The way guests treat the hosts is so obviously an allegory for the way cops treat black people. But probably not as HBO makes the one black character in the show a hooker rather than an hero. I'm pretty disgusted with how they've handled the race issue so far.

Black Hats Matter in Westworld. Take your social and political issues to Al Swearengen in the Gem if this is the bee in your bonnet

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Fuckin' hoopleheads.

I really hope there aren't any sleeper hosts working among the human employees. There's enough going on to not have to pull a stunt like that. Both Ford and Bernard seem to be independently working toward unlocking some further potential in their AI.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Can't imagine the "no harm against guests" rule lasting long with the Swearegen host.

"Newcomers, huh? Fresh off the train? Nice and well adjusted to civilization before staining your shoes with the poo poo and piss of the rest of creation's refuse? DAN! Free drinks for these brand new pioneers off to purge the fuckin' heathens and ne'er-do-wells to keep us ignorant cocksuckers here nice and safe. Pussy's half price, at your convenience. gently caress now, pay later. Don't pay at all...and I'll come at you with the fuckin' knife."

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Swearegen host would knife lots of people because that's just the kind of guy he was.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I feel like Ed Harris might just be looking for a way to turn the hosts' safeties off so he can get up to some real hardcore most dangerous game poo poo. Although if he was as rich and depraved as he seems, he could probably organize that in the real world.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

This dude in the black hat really needs to die asap.

No.
No he doesn't.
He's showing us, the audience, the deepest level and meaning of the game. Grow up.

crazysim posted:

and yah HBO flat out said this was the reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Westworld is Sodom and Gomorrah, almost every guest is a depraved and/or sadistic individual, we'll see who brings judgement.

• Locked thread