Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

So erm, they totally missed E3 and played down Gamescon so they could save their best stuff for Citizencon right?

I missed the entire thing due to alcohol and a stag party, did they manage to convert us all yet? :)

[timg]http://imgur.com/gallery/KWvtdg0[/timg]

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: Paving the way in :effort: development!

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/349292/when-they-got-in-the-rover-i-cried-a-little-bit#latest

when they got in the rover... I cried a little bit
Not afraid to admit it. I teared up. I love you guys

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ripptide posted:

My apologies, not trying to steal any valor.....

S'all good, bra.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CduA0TULnow

But with Chris Roberts

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
OP gently caress off you one post troll...
it was awesome and you know it....proper star wars type poo poo right there on that planet with the sand peeps.

no other space game out there will ever touch what CIG is doing
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/349251/anybody-else-seen-this-massive-fail-disappointment-called-citizencon-2016#latest

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Decrepus posted:

Remember when they pretended to fly down to the planet in the ship and then jump-cut to it and then flew out using the same zoom.

All stage demos have custom scripting, even open world games. It's not a big industry secret, its just amusing listening to Chris hype it up as something more than it is.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

TheLightPurges posted:

it was awesome and you know it....proper star wars type poo poo right there on that planet with the sand peeps.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/349251/anybody-else-seen-this-massive-fail-disappointment-called-citizencon-2016#latest

LMAO, that bad huh? :D

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol

One of three possibilities exist

They didn't have a Squadron 42 Demo ready
The SQ42 Demo was ready, but kept crashing
There is no SQ42, only Zuul

Wasn't there a bullet point from The Agent that quoted Chris as saying that the SQ 42 demo was "Not even close to okay"

Ah yes, here it is.

TheAgent posted:

confirmed

• sq42 cutscenes have now hit over $60m to be produced (this includes the mocap work, VA work, stunts, shoot time, internal cleanup of the scenes, character modeling and artwork)
  • "[The quality is] Not even close enough to okay." - Chris Roberts, 28/9/2016
  • ^ this was mentioned to me awhile back, but I couldn't believe it. the two people I talked two and leaked the previous (now confirmed) poo poo before the kotaku uk piece was released, so I trust them
  • they are trying to find things for ben/alexis/lando to do
  • their positions are winding down and will be terminated aka transferred
  • there's been some problems getting some streamers paid (again)
  • the new troops had a visit from roberts (unknown contracted studio)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheLightPurges posted:

Maybe there's a reason why no one will ever touch what CIG is doing...

:itwaspoo:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

an idiot posted:

I personally expect 3.0 in March. So 3.1 would come around July... 3.2 probably after CitizenCon... So the Banu Merchantman could be in our hands in early 2018...
!remindme March 2018

:allears:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

quote:

From CitizenCon 2016 I got:
- SQ42 progress is good, they just don't want to show anything till it's polished and fully there (makes sense).
- Procedural tech progress is great, the whole company is obviously really excited about it. I think the art and design people are probably soooo excited to get turned loose on creating this universe. The terrain on the planets already looks better than anything I've seen in any other game, and the tech is still in development. During the demo, my brain was going crazy with possibilities for missions, game features, etc. There is so much potential there and there is no better team to run with it than CIG.
- people seemed speechless after the demo ended. I was speechless. Kind of like, wow. Hmm. That gives us a lot to think about there.

I would say the demo transcended "wow PEW PEW! Where's STAR MARINE!?"

It went above that, and focused on the future. And it isn't totally written yet, so it somewhat gives a feeling of "emptiness" I suppose. But that's pure potentiality people.

the damage control from the pr types has begun in earnest

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
There was so much bad poo poo i totally forgot, they pulled out the gun on the space rover thing and never even shot it at all lol.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
are all the little sharties running in fear now that Chris Roberts has once again redefined videogaming

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

guys, wait, seriously! posted:

Feeling underwhelmed from Citizencon? Just remember...

What they are doing has never been done before and also remember all the money we have thrown at games that were just plain terrible. I personally feel 2017 is going to be amazing and the procedural stuff was pretty solid. Here's to 2017!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember when games like Final Fantasy hold a convention and they go "we are releasing this demo right now, after I'm done talking go home and download it" and at Citizen Con they just go "isn't this cool? sorry see you next year."

:laffo:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Had dinner in Florida.

I could have sworn Derek Smart was chilling at a table in the restaurant. Was too afraid to ask some random guy if they were the Internet warlord.

If it was the Internet warlord himself, I hope you noticed me senpai!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zigmoose posted:

Quick summary of planetary tech v2:

:perfect:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I'm just watching the recording of the presentation now.

But so far, I've just seen more planetary stuff.

So that meains in the last two presentations CIG has spent more time demoing being on a planet instead of shooting spaceships in space.... isn't this a space game?

Also where's derek's blog that's going to get him sued?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tokamak posted:

All stage demos have custom scripting, even open world games. It's not a big industry secret, its just amusing listening to Chris hype it up as something more than it is.

I'm almost convinced you're a paid shill, you're so willfully dense. Nobody is laughing at the scripting, we're laughing at the narrative of "pupil to planet - in game!" when they don't show the player doing it, they show it happening from a camera view

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol

One of three possibilities exist

They didn't have a Squadron 42 Demo ready
The SQ42 Demo was ready, but kept crashing
There is no SQ42, only Zuul

The demo wasn't ready, and it squares up with everything we know about Chris's management style.
In development you typically have level/mission where most of the early work goes into. Chris told the staff to polish it up into a stage demo. The staff knew full well that it couldn't be achieved in the time frame, but had to try in order to appease Chris. They kept the homestead test map in a state which could be presented it to Chris as 'plan B'.

Then all they needed to implement was the button pressing bits, drop in a couple of dummy AI, script a storm. And then do the fly over, sandworm, and zoom out cinematic sequences. Compared to loving around with a heavily WIP game build, adding a handful of crap to a test map is a piece of cake.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tokamak posted:

look crobbers wouldnt lie to us ok. it was all real and no cheating. just like the horizon...

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Bet the guy who sold his farm is feeling real happy right now.

General concensus around the net seems to be "WTF CIG??". I'm almost regretting not seeing the train wreck live, but it doesn't sound like I'd have been able to stay awake through it without playing a drinking game anyway.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

So many missed opportunities for PARP air-horn action from the crowd.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Star Citizen was the real ELE all along

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sabreseven posted:

Bet the guy who sold his farm is feeling real happy right now.

General concensus around the net seems to be "WTF CIG??". I'm almost regretting not seeing the train wreck live, but it doesn't sound like I'd have been able to stay awake through it without playing a drinking game anyway.

Star Citizen: The Drinking game's finished, and that's about it

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

starkebn posted:

I'm almost convinced you're a paid shill, you're so willfully dense. Nobody is laughing at the scripting, we're laughing at the narrative of "pupil to planet - in game!" when they don't show the player doing it, they show it happening from a camera view

Did you read what you quoted, that's just what I said. Chris says one thing, shows another. It's just not a surprise to me, and is actually expected from stage demos.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Decrepus posted:

Remember when games like Final Fantasy hold a convention and they go "we are releasing this demo right now, after I'm done talking go home and download it" and at Citizen Con they just go "isn't this cool? sorry see you next year."

:laffo:

At some you get a goodie bag with poo poo in it.
At Citizencon you get to buy the CEO drinks at the bar.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

happyhippy posted:

At some you get a goodie bag with poo poo in it.
At Citizencon you get to buy the CEO drinks at the bar.

And they literally bow prostrate before him and kiss his boots.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I got distracted by :barf: Trump :barf: was Citcon a rousing success?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Did they show the "I am Star Citizen" montage?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So many threads and posts of frustration in the SC subreddit. No SQ42 footage is their biggest fiasco imo. The next days will be interesting. They shattered the weeks of After-Gamescom Hype in like 2 hours....

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Semisponge posted:

I got distracted by :barf: Trump :barf: was Citcon a rousing success?
Trump was more successful.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
so basically though they all paid to go to citcon and all it was was a slideshow of "future stuff" correct?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

so basically though they all paid to go to citcon and all it was was a slideshow of "future stuff" correct?

They got to meet and physically touch Chris and Sandi.

Can't put a price on religious experiences.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

look plants.

Those plants remind me of a golf game I once played ... oh um yeah ....

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by CitizenCon, I had to buy 2 polarii after that awesome sales pitch video

Discuss the best parts of the 'con

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MilesK posted:

Did they show the "I am Star Citizen" montage?

Yes, it was mostly clips of staff but with a few very selective fan bits cut in. The fan bits were mostly streamers/youtubers prostrating to CIG's glorious development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok, let's take a stab at it:

1) 2.6 Drop including Star Marine. The mechanics will be janky and it's like some leftover code from Illfonic. My guess is that it's released in this forum to appease backers wanting an Arena-commander style of play for fps.
1a) Predicting that FPS "2.0" was already created and will be implemented in SQ42 and beyond.
2) SQ42: I predict that we'll see SQ42 gameplay at CitCon with a possible release of 1-3 levels in Q1 of 2017. Remember, this is their bread-and-butter release so they likely don't want to divulge to much storyline (however riveting it is to you guys).
2a) SQ42: Likely a full Episode 1 drop by the end of Summer 2017.
3) PU: We'll likely see more detailed procedurally generated environments at Citcon including vegetation/forest/etc. I'm assuming we'll see better-scaled planets as well.

edit: 4) Polaris Concept Sale

:smuggo:

• Locked thread