Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Get a voodoo crate motor imo.

:synpa:

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
14.7 absolute, 0 boost.

Close enough.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

ilkhan posted:

X-plan isn't the best deal around (you can usually negotiate a slightly better deal), but it was great for getting rid of the haggling BS when I bought my 'Stang. Walked in, built the car on B&P in their computer, hit print, handed over the x-plan PIN, handed over a deposit, got a receipt, and walked out. I was still in the financing office for an hour, but that was just signing poo poo and telling the dude "no" a lot.

Everything goes out the window for limited production. Since dealers can't just order you one they need to maximize profit on the 1-2 units they get.

Hence my skepticism to his claims. I don't care how good your x-plan dealer is, trying to get something in this limited of production is fraught with bullshit and slimy dealers.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
There's a dealer by me that marks up STs, but has sold two GT350s and an RS for MSRP.

I don't get it.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Doing the final cleanings on the wheels and testing the new trickle charger before putting her away for the season.

and just for you guys....

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

kalvick posted:

Doing the final cleanings on the wheels and testing the new trickle charger before putting her away for the season.

and just for you guys....

So you put 200 miles on it this year? Total?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
When I put it away last year on 10-10-2015 I had 23,934.4. Since then I have put 320.4 miles on it.

If you average it out over 16 years, I put 1515.92 miles on it each year. so its not like I don't drive it ;)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kalvick posted:

Throttle spacers

:stonk:

I wasn't disagreeing dude :v: I've never bought, nor felt the urge, to install a throttle spacer. I'd just never considered that it would alter the tension on the throttle cable, and that is a more feasible explanation for any butt-dyno results than the airflow BS.

You should see the logic hoops people jump through to explain how "better grounding" improves the DBW throttle body on the Mazdaspeed3.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wasn't disagreeing dude :v: I've never bought, nor felt the urge, to install a throttle spacer. I'd just never considered that it would alter the tension on the throttle cable, and that is a more feasible explanation for any butt-dyno results than the airflow BS.

You should see the logic hoops people jump through to explain how "better grounding" improves the DBW throttle body on the Mazdaspeed3.

But haven't folks put better grounding kits on import cars, dynoed them, and then seen a difference?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mr-Spain posted:

That's Allen Parkway, which is crazy crowned and and very curved.

Yeah, I'd never really thought about road crowning, that could make a massive difference.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Raluek posted:

Wait, hang on, what do you drive? I don't recognize you, although I don't recognize a lot of people since that namechange thread. But a Mustang making more power than a GT350 definitely needs to be posted about!

2012. Mostly stock (little stuff but nothing really performance related since filters and resonator deletes don't really do anything for these AFAIK). Only factory options are the SVT Performance Package and stripe delete. Sooner or later I'll put a 2.9L Whipple on it or something. The fact that the factory powertrain warranty expired 5 months ago ups the likelihood of this happening soon by a large amount.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

scrubs season six posted:

2012. Mostly stock (little stuff but nothing really performance related since filters and resonator deletes don't really do anything for these AFAIK). Only factory options are the SVT Performance Package and stripe delete.
So, not more power than the GT350.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

So, not more power than the GT350.

The '12 GT500 makes 550/510, doesn't it? Which is more than the GT350's 526/429. Not like they're really comparable, since one's a heavy-ish torque monster for the street whereas the other is a light high-revving track car.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Raluek posted:

The '12 GT500 makes 550/510, doesn't it? Which is more than the GT350's 526/429. Not like they're really comparable, since one's a heavy-ish torque monster for the street whereas the other is a light high-revving track car.

Are you sure the GT350 is light?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Raluek posted:

Carry on, then!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

That's... quite surprising. Both sourced from C&D:

2011 GT500: 3751 pounds
2016 GT350R: 3710 pounds
2016 GT350 with track pack: 3790 pounds

The GT350 might have a bit less weight on the nose, though... C&D claims 55.7% on the GT500, Motor Trend says 54% on the GT350. Probably speaks a lot to how much stiffening the car up overall adds weight.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's... quite surprising. Both sourced from C&D:

2011 GT500: 3751 pounds
2016 GT350R: 3710 pounds
2016 GT350 with track pack: 3790 pounds

The GT350 might have a bit less weight on the nose, though... C&D claims 55.7% on the GT500, Motor Trend says 54% on the GT350. Probably speaks a lot to how much stiffening the car up overall adds weight.

A track car should not weigh more than a street brawler. color me surprised!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

kalvick posted:

A track car should not weigh more than a street brawler. color me surprised!
The S550 platform is just plain heavy. Not as heavy as the Challenger or Camaro (last gen) are, but still pretty heavy. Like most, I have no idea where the weight is going. The car is quiet and stiff, but it must be extraordinarily dense as well.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ilkhan posted:

The S550 platform is just plain heavy. Not as heavy as the Challenger or Camaro (last gen) are, but still pretty heavy. Like most, I have no idea where the weight is going. The car is quiet and stiff, but it must be extraordinarily dense as well.

Ford stuff is pretty heavy at the moment. The Fusion Sport is also north of 4k lbs.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Imagine, just imagine... same power, suspension, body, etc of the GT350.... but carbon fiber. Can you imagine how insanely awesome the vehicle would feel and drive with 500 - 700 lbs taken off?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

Imagine, just imagine... same power, suspension, body, etc of the GT350.... but carbon fiber. Can you imagine how insanely awesome the vehicle would feel and drive with 500 - 700 lbs taken off?

I mean, at that point you're basically slapping a horse badge (and a pedestrian bloodlust) on this:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

More likely is a switch to aluminum, since they're already making the #1 vehicle in the US out of the stuff.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I always have dreams converting everything inside my car from plastic to carbon fiber. Carbondriven.com makes a lot of the stuff, but i want next level stuff. I mean, big pieces like the entire dash, doors, and center console.
also I dont know how good thier stuff is.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

More likely is a switch to aluminum, since they're already making the #1 vehicle in the US out of the stuff.
Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the 2018 refresh moves the Mustang to aluminum body. I wonder how much more it would cost them. They buy so much of the stuff already I'm sure they're getting a decent bulk rate.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kalvick posted:

I always have dreams converting everything inside my car from plastic to carbon fiber. Carbondriven.com makes a lot of the stuff, but i want next level stuff. I mean, big pieces like the entire dash, doors, and center console.

I just want to switch the chrome inserts around vents, gauges, shifter, etc. to something that's not reflective. And maybe a little visor over the vent where I usually clip my phone.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Coredump posted:

Yeah I'm actually pretty surprised to learn that this isn't the case. Huh. :downs:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

ilkhan posted:

Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the 2018 refresh moves the Mustang to aluminum body. I wonder how much more it would cost them. They buy so much of the stuff already I'm sure they're getting a decent bulk rate.

Half the body is already aluminum. I think it's more the subframe bits that could stand to shed some weight. The rear cradle is ridiculously heavy.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is the subframe heavy to accommodate convertibles?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

Is the subframe heavy to accommodate convertibles?

The subframe on convertibles is there to stop the car flexing. its a hollow tube for lightness sake.
yea you could remove them for weight savings but you will lose significant performance.
so that is a weight that should be left alone unless you use exotic materials for keeping the car stiff.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I saw a yellow new edge mustang GT driving in to work today. It had the rear bumper "MUSTANG" filled in with orange lettering. I couldn't look at it and see anything other than "MUSTARD."

That is all.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Sounds bad, Todd.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
http://jalopnik.com/why-ford-mustang-sales-should-stay-down-in-the-united-s-1787669490?rev=1476211491299

Mustang sales are going down, fortunately the nightmare may soon be over and the thirst for pedestrian blood can finally be quenched!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The blood god that has been terrorizing Flat Rock may have finally been appeased.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Blood God has been appeased!

Or car sales in general are falling after a record breaking year and GM is selling Camaro with a wheelbarrow full of cash on the hood.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Someone help me find a 69-70 Sportsroof Mustang in blue in good shape so I can get it for my pops.

Edit: under 25 grand.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 11, 2016

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/11/ford-mustang-performance-power-upgrade-15235/

Interesting, for $29k you can get a 4 cyl mustang ecoboost non-premium performance pack that has 390lb ft of torque.. and is 150lbs lighter over the front axle than a V8 GT with almost the same torque. However the last gen GT is the same weight as current gen 4 cyl turbo what a weird world we live in.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

But you can get a V8 for more money

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Watched a 95 Cobra with a cat back put down 231rwhp earlier.

drat I forgot how good those cars sound. It was in for that before a cam and intake swap :v:

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
https://www.motormag.com.au/news/1609/ford-mustang-allan-moffat-edition-revealed