Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

In true CIG fashion, that obviously never happened. :goshawk:

Well done commando o9.

E: Tax

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine trying to defend this loving horseshit at this stage. They're years in, $125m down the toilet, can't hit a deadline, have been caught lying repeatedly and even when they do release something it's objectively poo poo.

lazrin what's your favourite thing about star citizen

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

Lazrin posted:

prove they aren't.

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/94010970

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/785469535990276096
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/785469790580277248

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
the sand worm is just foreshadowing for chris's hair plugs.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

Lazrin posted:

lol, that's not proof. that's one man's psychotic episode manifested over time, as he grasps for validation by -- ironically -- publicizing the game and its creator/his idol chris roberts.

he's utterly consumed by this and it's clearly taken a toll on his personal and professional life.

your leader isn't in this for the comedy.

nice meltdown

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

if you are, how are we to respect or take you seriously when you're staying there and talking behind the back of that who writes your paycheck? i mean how despicable is that?

He's here, talking to you :confused:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
EightAce is the only CIG employee who actually bought in to the "Open Development" pledge

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

EightAce posted:

There was every intention to show sq42 , the whole of citizencon was based around it. They had a decent looking demo. The problem was the gameplay element, the animations were not working as intended and they had no control over what may or may not happen. The anims are fundamentally screwed at this point and it’s a massive concern.
Last year on the morrow tour they managed to script in the things they needed , a risky strategy as again it didn’t work properly and if the controller had looked in the wrong direction you would have seen a huge crash or at the least a mass of geometry flying into space. They couldn’t get that this time. Hence the delay and the hastily refactored presentation.
SM is not ready, it doesn’t work. Everything about it is broken . There is no miracle patch coming out December with pro gen planets in it.

An absolutely stunning return to form for our developer ghost EightAce. Really good read, it actually explains how they've managed to go from things that actually look functional to a complete inability to show anything at all. Smoke and mirrors are great until you can't even get the mirrors to work and you're left with literally nothing.

Lazrin posted:

gamers (and goons) have shown they can't handle the game development process, and that's the simple beginning and end of it. we're exactly at the point we'd be with any other comparable game project, except we've seen this one from day 1.

This is a very convenient statement because there are no other comparable game projects. And you're right, any other game project would also be in complete chaos too if it had the same scope and oversight failures as Star Citizen has.

The thing is, you're not really saying anything at all. We can handle the development process of normal games. A bunch of people posting here have been involved in or even lead designers of normal, successful games. You're right that we can't handle the game development process of this game though, because it's not just a catastrophe, it's a predictable catastrophe and we've been here over and over with designers like molyneux and will wright and here we are again. An egotistical self proclaimed "great man" saying he can make things that nobody (no matter how talented) has been able to do before - not because of some huge technological breakthrough that changes everything, but because he's just that drat awesome that there's nothing he can't do.

That's literally the only argument for Star Citizen being possible, Chris' ego says it is. That's it.

So yeah, any game of this scope and with such complete lack of oversight as this game has would be at the exact same point. That point is one of many into a trajectory towards failure, a course that has been clearly plotted since Chris, surrounded by sycophants, decided he knew better than the entire games industry despite not having made a successful game for 15 loving years.

To be honest, I can see that you're starting to see the light. Before you do, please do us a favour and find another Star Citizen fan that's got the balls to argue with us in this thread like you have done. It's cool to have someone arguing the other side of the story and MoMA has given up trying to be coherent recently so this thread is going to get boring when you finally get fed up of this clown fiesta and stop defending it and start having a laugh at its expense.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 10, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lazrin posted:

if you are, how are we to respect or take you seriously when you're staying there and talking behind the back of that who writes your paycheck?

I guess you're not entirely familiar with this concept of being an honest person. It has a nasty tendency to engender respect. Hence why you've never had any.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lazrin posted:

as for the rest, since you're a developer, you know the game is barely over 3 years in development.... any other comparable game isn't even announced by the same timeframe, much less shown at all until 3-4 years in development. and that date is then typical 3 years from release.

Strange that not even Chris understands this. Of all the people who should know how long it would realistically take, it would be a game studio full of veteran developers. And yet they keep promising things within a shorter time frame than what ought to be possible. You might even get the impression that CIG do not understand anything about game development.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Planets V2 was amazing and we finally have irrefutable proof that the detailed artist driven world Chris has been talking about is not only possible but quickly being realized. Even more incredible I think is the speed at which they've improved. A few months ago we only had a barren planet with some poor textures, but now we can already see wildlife and plants and detailed and varied biomes. Can't wait to see how much all this will improve during the next few months.

Squadron 42 not being shown was a bit of a bummer but I think most of us understand that Chris doesn't want to show it until it's up to his standards. After the show some of the devs apparently stated that the demo wasn't shown because some of the repair animations weren't working. This is a minor thing and I expect we'll see the demo in all it's glory during the next big livestream.

The PU stuff was really nice and we finally have a concrete idea of what's coming next. It's really cool to see all the pieces fall in place like this. Overall I'm really happy with what I saw at Citizen con and I'm sure others will be too once the initial reaction wears off.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Star Citizen: Get on the spectrum

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Darkpriest667 posted:

See you on the 'ctrum, commando. o2

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

kikkelivelho posted:

Planets V2 was amazing and we finally have irrefutable proof that the detailed artist driven world Chris has been talking about is not only possible but quickly being realized. Even more incredible I think is the speed at which they've improved. A few months ago we only had a barren planet with some poor textures, but now we can already see wildlife and plants and detailed and varied biomes. Can't wait to see how much all this will improve during the next few months.

Squadron 42 not being shown was a bit of a bummer but I think most of us understand that Chris doesn't want to show it until it's up to his standards. After the show some of the devs apparently stated that the demo wasn't shown because some of the repair animations weren't working. This is a minor thing and I expect we'll see the demo in all it's glory during the next big livestream.

The PU stuff was really nice and we finally have a concrete idea of what's coming next. It's really cool to see all the pieces fall in place like this. Overall I'm really happy with what I saw at Citizen con and I'm sure others will be too once the initial reaction wears off.

I love these. Keep doing what you're doing :v:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Is it possible to embed game apps in The Spectrum?

That would solve a lot of problems with there being no game in which to embed The Spectrum.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I don't know about Derek but I was hoarse from laughing and shouting OH MY GOD, THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Darkpriest667 posted:

What they're doing with Spectrum is actually really nice. You don't want people bypassing the in-game comms and information warfare mechanics with external programs, so what do you do? You create an inbuilt platform that's better than anything external programs like discord or skype can provide. You also create a standardized platform for the community so they don't split to different corners of the internet. It's actually an in-world, in-lore facebook of sorts where you can follow the 'Verse even when you're not playing. Imagine planning your next trade run while still at work. This is the future of MMOs.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mr Fronts posted:

Is it possible to embed game apps in The Spectrum?

That would solve a lot of problems with there being no game in which to embed The Spectrum.

In-game flash. Awesome innovation in the no-longer-owning-your-account space technology space.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Look at all these funny easter eggs!!!

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Lazrin posted:

unfortunately i can't figure out if this is a place to have serious discussions or not because every time we do and rational discourse takes place, the fool posters come in with 'dead gay comedy'. because they got nothing else.

so, eightace... to this point you haven't proven, to me, that you are a developer. so i have to say this...

if you are, how are we to respect or take you seriously when you're staying there and talking behind the back of that who writes your paycheck? i mean how despicable is that?

as for the rest, since you're a developer, you know the game is barely over 3 years in development.... any other comparable game isn't even announced by the same timeframe, much less shown at all until 3-4 years in development. and that date is then typical 3 years from release.

when it is finally publicly announced, they show cherry picked (if not scripted and faked) gameplay if any at all, but most likely just a cinematic and gameplay comes much later.

everyone has seen star citizen from day 1, and have had released, playable parts of it earlier than anything even remotely comparable.

gamers (and goons) have shown they can't handle the game development process, and that's the simple beginning and end of it. we're exactly at the point we'd be with any other comparable game project, except we've seen this one from day 1.

now, if you're a dev there, have some self respect and stop posting here or stop working there.

if you want real open development go see camelot unchained. That is real development. open dev of a crowdfunded project. now stfu.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

kikkelivelho posted:

What they're doing with Spectrum is actually really nice. You don't want people bypassing the in-game comms and information warfare mechanics with external programs, so what do you do? You create an inbuilt platform that's better than anything external programs like discord or skype can provide. You also create a standardized platform for the community so they don't split to different corners of the internet. It's actually an in-world, in-lore facebook of sorts where you can follow the 'Verse even when you're not playing. Imagine planning your next trade run while still at work. This is the future of MMOs.

I guarantee you no one is going to use that poo poo show of a voip over discord. OpSec pretty much demands you don't use anything produced by RSI for comm usage.

This would have been nice 3 years ago, but people are totally entrenched in their own voip servers and forums now. Creating new subforums isn't going to get any of the major established groups to run over there. It's an absolute WASTE of resources and funding.

EDIT --- but this is Star Citizen the name of the game is wasting resources and funding.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

OTOH the people left are those who want hall monitors to make sure everyone walks around the stations, so a sperg's agreement that everyone use in-game comms might actually be plausible.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Darkpriest667 posted:

I guarantee you no one is going to use that poo poo show of a voip over discord. OpSec pretty much demands you don't use anything produced by RSI for comm usage.

This would have been nice 3 years ago, but people are totally entrenched in their own voip servers and forums now. Creating new subforums isn't going to get any of the major established groups to run over there. It's an absolute WASTE of resources and funding.

EDIT --- but this is Star Citizen the name of the game is wasting resources and funding.

I reckon this is a direct consequence of THAT terrible "Chris Roberts Plays His Own Game" disaster.

Remember his outrage at how nasty the in-game chat was? I bet he stormed straight off and drew up a page of bullet points... detailing the ULTIMATE IN-GAME SOCIAL MEDIA INTERFACE.

Which then kicked off this... thing.

See you on the 'trum!

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

kikkelivelho posted:

nice find.

that wildlife comment kinda had me chuckle. it was one wildscripted sandworm, hardly qualifies as wildlife being present
I am still amazed at the blind trust thrown at CR - after the explanation about the SM delay in Kotaku kinda showed CR tendency to underhand his development issues.
I would be rather skeptical about minor things deemed close to a solution, sometimes shouting "just do it" isn't doing anything.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Darkpriest667 posted:

Mafia III's release version had ten times more bugs than this unfinished Star Citizen demo. You're overreacting.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

MeLKoR posted:

I don't know about Derek but I was hoarse from laughing and shouting OH MY GOD, THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!

He was literally hoarse from going between laughing and stunned disbelief.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

starkebn posted:

EightAce is the only CIG employee who actually bought in to the "Open Development" pledge

Nice

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

WTF

quote:

Sand Worm - NMS & Osiris

How can someone not know about Dune and call himself star citizen.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Er_dova seems pretty upset, he should rewatch the stream. Forums 2.0 and Patcher 1.5 seemed pretty game changing to me.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

kikkelivelho posted:

Mafia III's release version had ten times more bugs than this unfinished Star Citizen demo. You're overreacting.

demo v release. One is a finished copy getting fixed.

The other should be put down as it cant be fixed.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

kikkelivelho posted:

Red herring fallacies don't work with me.

Things mafia 3 didn't have - 125 million dollars. 500 developers, 5 4 3 years of development

Mafia 3 the studio was shut down 2 y ears into development and completely refactored into another studio. They still managed to put out a game in less than 18 months.

Also, no one in here bought or gives a flying gently caress about Mafia 3. I didn't even know there was a mafia 1 or 2 until your post and I did research.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

quote:

It's called passion, and it's necessary. Passion sustains the hunger. The game is probably 80 percent finished in reality, but the community isn't where it needs to be for the desired launch. There needs to be more of a following. But, people are getting tired of FPS and want something new. Don't care about plans, we just want something new. We're tired of playing other games until the next anticipated content drop.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Gamescom 2016 2.6 Arena Commander Slide

Citizencon 2016 2.6 Arena Commander Slide

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Dune Citizen

Starting
Chris Roberts - Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV
:lesnick: - Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Derek Smart - Paul Atreides
Beer4theBeerGod - Gurney Halleck
Sandi Gardiner - Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother
Twitch Streamers - Sardaukar
Goons - Fremen

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Chris isn't writing any paychecks, the backers do. He is doing them a favor.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7105804/#Comment_7105804

~dreams~ :negative:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Citizencon 2016 2.6 Arena Commander Slide

Wat the gently caress are PERSISTENT MISSLES

That whole presentation was such a wet fart I can't even believe that's what they showed and told for all the space nerds that spent +1000$ on travel to be there in person :laffo:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

Wat the gently caress are PERSISTENT MISSLES

Presumably the same thing as their previous attempt at “persistence”: something you buy once will remain bought the next time you log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm your friendly reminder that CIG - a company with no money problems whatsoever - made sure to knock a hundred bucks off their new $750 JPEG for customers who bought it with fresh cash instead of store credit.

• Locked thread