Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
SMASH ended too right? The only hold overs to the old animated universe at this point would be GotG and Avengers, which I can see ending before Infinity War hits theaters. GotG is the only real problem, unless I am mistaken and it isn't part of the grouped shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ToastyPotato posted:

SMASH ended too right? The only hold overs to the old animated universe at this point would be GotG and Avengers, which I can see ending before Infinity War hits theaters. GotG is the only real problem, unless I am mistaken and it isn't part of the grouped shows.

They just announced season 4 and 2 of those (AA: Secret Wars) and apparently the Captain Marvel of AA (her hair is so HIDEOUS) shows up in season 2 of GotG, so that's connected.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They just announced season 4 and 2 of those (AA: Secret Wars) and apparently the Captain Marvel of AA (her hair is so HIDEOUS) shows up in season 2 of GotG, so that's connected.

Maybe Secret Wars will be used as a way to transition into a new animated universe. But I am likely giving them way too much credit.

How dope would it be if they did a cross over with older cartoons though? They probably don't have the rights for that. :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

Maybe Secret Wars will be used as a way to transition into a new animated universe. But I am likely giving them way too much credit.

How dope would it be if they did a cross over with older cartoons though? They probably don't have the rights for that. :(

AA manages to be the blandest, nothing-est cartoon on their stable, to the point where Ms. Marvel showed up on screen heavily for a whole episode and it was still a yawn-fest, I don't doubt for a second that whatever happens won't be as interesting as it could be on paper.

They definitely don't got the rights, they would've done something with the Eight episodes dedicated to Spider-verse in USM if they wanted to. :( (at least Spider-Punk got a speaking role for that)

They're releasing the clips from the panel on their youtube, so i'm hammering F5 to see the new spidey cartoon, here's where monsters lie tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1pLFw2vi5E
..wow that hulk stuff was not as interesting looking as i hoped. How do they not have better-looking animation when they're under Disney??

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 9, 2016

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

I've only ever read his Silver Surfer, which I love. What's wrong with his Spider-Man? Not picking a fight, just genuinely curious.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I basically don't like his Peter, his big storylines never stick the landing and i dislike how he baits fans in social media, but eh, he's not even close to the worst spidey writer and his current output is apparently really great so whatever.

Looks like no teaser on their youtube, now that I think about it, I was at a comic con some long time before Ultimate Spider-man started airing and it was pretty different (such as actual Ultimate Iron Man showing up and the colors being way higher in contrast) so it's probably a similar scenario where the footage shown is not yet final.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

ugh, why?

Youtube recommended that I watch a big "Avengers vs. Thanos" the other day and I thought "this'll be terrible but I have to see, I have to see if maybe things are better".

But the show continued to live down to expectations. God it's just so bad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hayley Atwell will voice agent carter in avengers

No return of Agent Carter the show though :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

loving finally. There might be a new animated Wonder Woman movie, show, or whatever else in the works. http://www.cbr.com/nycc-a-new-animated-wonder-woman-is-on-wbs-radar/

I hope it's a movie, because Batman and Superman have already had more than enough of those.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Can't wait for the Wonder Woman/Wonder Girl sex scene.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

AA manages to be the blandest, nothing-est cartoon on their stable, to the point where Ms. Marvel showed up on screen heavily for a whole episode and it was still a yawn-fest, I don't doubt for a second that whatever happens won't be as interesting as it could be on paper.

They definitely don't got the rights, they would've done something with the Eight episodes dedicated to Spider-verse in USM if they wanted to. :( (at least Spider-Punk got a speaking role for that)

They're releasing the clips from the panel on their youtube, so i'm hammering F5 to see the new spidey cartoon, here's where monsters lie tho
..wow that hulk stuff was not as interesting looking as i hoped. How do they not have better-looking animation when they're under Disney??

Disney simply does not deem it financially viable to spend money on TV or DTV animation for Marvel properties, so it gets bottom of the barrel production value. They have little reason to suspect that they'd get enough of a return on investment for those sort of things to warrant spending big. They figure kids will watch it, or they won't, how well it is animated won't increase merch sales. It's depressing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Does every Spider-Man adaptation have to start with geeky 16 year old Peter trying to work up the courage to talk to Gwen Stacy or whatever?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Does every Spider-Man adaptation have to start with geeky 16 year old Peter trying to work up the courage to talk to Gwen Stacy or whatever?

Well to be fair, that is where the character's origin is, but also it's good for selling toys when your hero is also a kid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know it's not going to happen, but I'd loving kill for a third season of Spectacular Spider-Man. poo poo,just spend the next year re-airing the first two seasons to give you enough time to make season 3.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Can't wait for the Wonder Woman/Wonder Girl sex scene.

It's gonna be a Wonder Woman/Batman sex scene and you know it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ToastyPotato posted:

Well to be fair, that is where the character's origin is, but also it's good for selling toys when your hero is also a kid.

I guess the meat of my question is "Do we always have to start at the beginning?" Considering BTAS is still the pillar of animated superhero series, I'm continually confused by the answer "Yes."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

In the comics Peter Parker was in college and living on his own (in an apartment with Harry Osborn that was subsidized by Norman Osborn) when he met Gwen Stacy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

In the comics Peter Parker was in college and living on his own (in an apartment with Harry Osborn that was subsidized by Norman Osborn) when he met Gwen Stacy.

I meant his origins were in high school. So that is what makes it appealing, especially for cartoons.

I wish we could at least start at college/Daily Bugle Parker just because all of his famous stories are from that time or later, but I get why they keep resetting, there aren't very many young heroes who have huge potential brand recognition.

SonicRulez posted:

I guess the meat of my question is "Do we always have to start at the beginning?" Considering BTAS is still the pillar of animated superhero series, I'm continually confused by the answer "Yes."

More likely to appeal to kids if the main character is younger. That's really all it is. They already have a bunch of adult heroes, so having a kid one covers their bases and gets kids more interested.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ToastyPotato posted:

I wish we could at least start at college/Daily Bugle Parker just because all of his famous stories are from that time or later, but I get why they keep resetting, there aren't very many young heroes who have huge potential brand recognition.
Kind of interesting the 90s spideyseries had him as a college kid at ESU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm sure if that series hadn't been conceived as a tie-in to a movie that never got made he would've been a loving high school student in that too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure if that series hadn't been conceived as a tie-in to a movie that never got made he would've been a loving high school student in that too.

I don't think the 60's Spider-Man cartoon or Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends featured a high school aged Peter Parker either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I don't think the 60's Spider-Man cartoon or Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends featured a high school aged Peter Parker either.

The 60s one was too early for nostalgia.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Justice League Action is starting soon right? I'm hoping that will be a super hero cartoon worth watching finally, trailer way earlier this year looked pretty good and like it might be doing Brave and the Bold levels of obscure characters.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ToastyPotato posted:

More likely to appeal to kids if the main character is younger. That's really all it is. They already have a bunch of adult heroes, so having a kid one covers their bases and gets kids more interested.

Is that the way kids are in this day or is that just how execs perceive kids to be? I'm just looking around and we don't have very many teenage superheroes anymore. The only two I can think of that are popular would be Damian to some degree and I guess the most recent Spider-Man himself. But I'd imagine kids are looking at Iron Man and Thor.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Is that the way kids are in this day or is that just how execs perceive kids to be? I'm just looking around and we don't have very many teenage superheroes anymore. The only two I can think of that are popular would be Damian to some degree and I guess the most recent Spider-Man himself. But I'd imagine kids are looking at Iron Man and Thor.
More kids are reading Smile and watching Steven Universe than reading superhero comics and cartoons about adult characters.

But anyway, it's always been the common wisdom and part of why Robin was created.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kamala

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Kind of interesting the 90s spideyseries had him as a college kid at ESU

True, but the last two, and the upcoming one have Peter as a kid. The upcoming film has him at his youngest so far for live action. And most of the most popular kids cartoons and shows today feature kids as the main character.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I can vouch for kids reading Smile, but I have never heard anybody younger than Internet Manchild talking about Steven Universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I can vouch for kids reading Smile, but I have never heard anybody younger than Internet Manchild talking about Steven Universe.

SU does well with kids, they're just not coming onto SA and posting about it for obvious reasons.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I trust the opinions of person who labels Steven u fans as internet manchildren

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

SU does well with kids, they're just not coming onto SA and posting about it for obvious reasons.

Children don't buy SA accounts, is Lowtax out of touch? No, it is the children who are wrong.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

But anyway, it's always been the common wisdom and part of why Robin was created.

It's also been almost universally wrong. If I remember correctly, the general reply to that has been "Kids didn't want to be Batman's kid sidekick, they wanted to be Batman". Marketing people think that kids need someone to embody as the tagalong to the hero, but they forget that kids want to be the coolest fucker in the room, not their idiot friend.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The way I heard it, sidekicks back in the day were there to make the hero into more of a father figure to provide a kind of fatherly influence to young readers in an era with a lot of paternal abandonment.

It is interesting when you look at the superheroes who were conceived decades later like most of Marvel's catalog were and they barely have sidekicks at all, compared to all the kid compatriots in the golden age. In those days, everyone was trying to court teenagers, and the only "real" sidekick I can think of from then was Rick Jones.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The 60s one was too early for nostalgia.

Amazing Friends is from the 80's.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kurui Reiten posted:

It's also been almost universally wrong. If I remember correctly, the general reply to that has been "Kids didn't want to be Batman's kid sidekick, they wanted to be Batman". Marketing people think that kids need someone to embody as the tagalong to the hero, but they forget that kids want to be the coolest fucker in the room, not their idiot friend.

Yeah, this exactly. That stupid line of thinking created Chris Thorndyke and I will never forgive that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This feels just as bland as AA does. I fully expect it to be AA just longer, I guess.

I've no hope at all for Marvel's Spider-Man. I will say though, Slott probably won't make every goddamn thing be about the symbiote. He'll just try to make his own Mary Sue villains instead in some huge event that flops hard towards the end. Or just does a weird 180 and Spider-Man starts killing people like with Superior Spider-Man.

Though, he's gotta be a better writer than whoever wrote the Ultimate Spider-Man episodes...who's that Man of Action or something?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm pretty certain MOA are all comic book writers and they're just phoning it in for the paycheck.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I bet Slott's involvement will be as deep as Bendis' was. Some "consulting" here and there that doesn't have too much weight and a couple of episodes being guest written by him.

Bendis wrote six episodes total apparently, one based on the Wolverine mindswap storyline from the comics, some random episodes that aren't that interesting and two featuring the Guardians of the Galaxy before the movie came out and they were changed entirely.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kurui Reiten posted:

But it's also not universally wrong? And it's not marketing people. It's a principle of writing for kids despite obvious exceptions. And while yes Batman is technically an adult, look at YA fiction and notice how absent parents are. It's because you don't want your story to have the safety net of parents. You want the child hero to both me more empowered and tested by the lack of parents. Ya know... like Batman. It's also not like the impetus for this conversation is rooted in Spider-Man who literally shook the entirety of comics when he showed up as a teenage hero or X-men and Teen Titans completely dominated sales in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
How many spiderpeople are there in this ultimate spiderman cartoon? I watched a few episodes and in each of them another one appeared.