Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

RIP Band 2, you were too good for this world. Except when the BAND of the Band broke and you couldn't replace it :suicide:

Microsoft has been replacing them no questions asked, although it does take a few days for shipping. I've got a band 2 with a warranty through October 2017, wonder how long they'll have replacement stock in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oh god, not to be "that guy", but I'm looking at longer term platform options with the Band 2 going away, how are the smartphone notifications on the Fitbit Blaze? The website is pretty vague on the topic, although it looks more flexible than the call/text/calendar notifications on the other models?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Oh god, not to be "that guy", but I'm looking at longer term platform options with the Band 2 going away, how are the smartphone notifications on the Fitbit Blaze? The website is pretty vague on the topic, although it looks more flexible than the call/text/calendar notifications on the other models?

Maybe try the Gear Fit line? I think the current one, Gear Fit 2, is pretty on par with the Band 2, but maybe an eventual Gear Fit 3 will keep things moving forward. I don't know if the Band has it, but on Gear Fit 2 you can even reply to message notifications with stock answers like yes, no and other custom ones.It IS a band, unlike the blaze. And if you're willing to go towards the watch form factor like the Blaze I think there are way superior options out there already.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 10, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

nerdz posted:

Maybe try the Gear Fit line? I think the current one, Gear Fit 2, is pretty on par with the Band 2, but maybe an eventual Gear Fit 3 will keep things moving forward. I don't know if the Band has it, but on Gear Fit 2 you can even reply to message notifications with stock answers like yes, no and other custom ones.It IS a band, unlike the blaze. And if you're willing to go towards the watch form factor like the Blaze I think there are way superior options out there already.

Looks like it's android only though? Fitbit works with everything (which is one thing I liked about the Microsoft Band).

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Looks like it's android only though? Fitbit works with everything (which is one thing I liked about the Microsoft Band).

https://9to5google.com/2016/08/25/samsung-gear-s2-ios-beta/

Apparently IOS support is on the way. There's a beta going on for the Gear S2 and Gear fit 2 so it's quite likely that the S3 and an eventual Gear Fit 3 will have full IOS support.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

There's a Huawei Fit now apparently, dropped Android Wear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFN-T3KFGTU

Look lovely IMO, both watch-wise and software-wise.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone else's Fitbit not handle the time change properly? Mine didn't roll over to a new day properly, which seems real weird.

Resync/tracker restart didn't seem to help.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 6, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
If anyone is looking to buy a Fitbit Charge 2 Walgreens has a crazy good deal right now. Spend Over $60 and get 18,000 points, plus 35,000 for buying a Fitbit Charge HR 2. So basically $70 in Walgreens credit for spending $150. Also there is a Visa checkout promo for $10 off. And you can stack Walgreens points on top of that as the maximum you can spend is $50 on one purchase.

I've been hoarding my Walgreens points so I redeemed $50 worth, took the $10 Visa credit, then get back a little over $70 in Walgreens credit.

So basically the Charge 2 cost me $30.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Doesn't seem to be much interest but today is the last day to buy a Charge 2 at Walgreens and get back around $70 in Walgreens credit + $10 off with Visa Checkout. It looks like the best black friday deal on the Charge 2 is going to be $129 so if you shop at Walgreens this is a great deal.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So crosspostin from the Android Wear thread. Made a grumpy over there, so maybe you all will love me here:

Oh hey, picked up an S3 Frontier LTE from T-Mo today. It's really nice. It's pretty big (think Mission big).

Sarnsun'g I guess, but I like it. Everything works great with the Pixel, but Samsung Pay is MIA. Funny since it's advertised as functional when paired with a non-Samsung phone. Oops, Sarnsun'g I suppose.

Maybe an update will enable it, maybe I was lied to. Either way, the hardware is nice enough for me to not get bitchy about it being missing.

Sure, I'd love to have googly everything, but it's pretty nice as-is. Having a full cellular connection for runs (sans phone) that can stream audio via BT headphones and make/receive calls and texts is pretty nifty.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

I'm looking at picking up the gear s3 classic myself :)

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Please talk more about the fitness and gps.

I have a Vivoactive HR and I'm not expecting it to be better but it's a hell of a lot prettier.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

hotsauce posted:

So crosspostin from the Android Wear thread. Made a grumpy over there, so maybe you all will love me here:

Oh hey, picked up an S3 Frontier LTE from T-Mo today. It's really nice. It's pretty big (think Mission big).

Sarnsun'g I guess, but I like it. Everything works great with the Pixel, but Samsung Pay is MIA. Funny since it's advertised as functional when paired with a non-Samsung phone. Oops, Sarnsun'g I suppose.

Maybe an update will enable it, maybe I was lied to. Either way, the hardware is nice enough for me to not get bitchy about it being missing.

Sure, I'd love to have googly everything, but it's pretty nice as-is. Having a full cellular connection for runs (sans phone) that can stream audio via BT headphones and make/receive calls and texts is pretty nifty.

Please see my reply on the AW thread.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Do you think the Huawei Watch would be a nice christmas gift for a non-techy wife? She would definitely enjoy the different faces but I'm not sure it's the right size for a woman.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Small pebble time round. Rose gold.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

Small pebble time round. Rose gold.

Seconding this, MY WIFE likes hers & it has stuck with her over the past four months. Anything else is too big, imo.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Spermanent Record posted:

Do you think the Huawei Watch would be a nice christmas gift for a non-techy wife? She would definitely enjoy the different faces but I'm not sure it's the right size for a woman.

I don't think a smartwatch is a good gift for anyone non-techy. Get her a fashion brand watch instead. She'll probably enjoy it more. Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Daniel Wellington are all hot brands the ladies tend to enjoy :) A have taught my girlfriend about watch brands and such though and got her a Skagen for her birthday as they're really nice too.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Has anyone tried out the TomTom Spark 3 here? It looks like a real runners watch, onboard music, gps, no touch screen and optional heart rate (it doesn't actually matter for long distance running.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I haven't but I have a Vivoactive HR and it's absolutely brilliant.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Does anyone know if any of the new Fitbit models suffer from the "bubble banding" issues? I'm on my 4th Charge HR (all previous were replaced under warranty for the same bubble issue) and now that I'm out of warranty, Fitbit won't replace it. While they did offer me a discount on a new wearable, I'm hesitant to purchase another.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 28, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

JayKay posted:

Does anyone know if any of the new Fitbit models suffer from the "bubble banding" issues? I'm on my 4th Charge HR (all previous were replaced under warranty for the same bubble issue) and now that I'm out of warranty, Fitbit won't replace it. While they did offer me a discount on a new wearable, I'm hesitant to purchase another.

The new Charge should not considering the band is removable and the brains part of it is stainless steel and plastic.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

The new Charge should not considering the band is removable and the brains part of it is stainless steel and plastic.

Yeah, I updated to a Charge 2 for this very reason

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The Misfit Flash's are only 12 dollars today. Worth it if I already own a gen 1 pebble with the Misfit app?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Three Olives posted:

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, I updated to a Charge 2 for this very reason

And they're only $109 on Amazon right now. :v: So very tempting.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

JayKay posted:

Yeah, I got mine from Best Buy for $129 on Friday :suicide:

I mean, I was able to return it and order it from Amazon instead, but it was super-annoying that Best Buy wouldn't just match the price and now I have to wait :smith:

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Just backed some smart glasses on Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vue/vue-your-everyday-smart-glasses

God I hope they're not terrible. Seems to be a good in between product for those of us that wear glasses full time

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chasiubao posted:

Yeah, I got mine from Best Buy for $129 on Friday :suicide:

I mean, I was able to return it and order it from Amazon instead, but it was super-annoying that Best Buy wouldn't just match the price and now I have to wait :smith:

That's weird. When I worked there they did that and I still never buy things without matching prices elsewhere

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

JayKay posted:

Yeah, I bought mine from Walgreens, $150. Then $70 in Walgreens points, $10 Visa Checkout credit, then I redeemed $50 of points I was hoarding.

Well worth $30.

Actually I really like it, it's a little stiffer than the Charge HR but the build quality is much better and the screen looks amazing.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Ethereal posted:

Just backed some smart glasses on Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vue/vue-your-everyday-smart-glasses

God I hope they're not terrible. Seems to be a good in between product for those of us that wear glasses full time

I feel like a watch would be way better at almost all of this stuff, at least in terms of notifications. I really don't think all devices should have their own assistant. Our devices should work together harmoniously and not independently.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

I feel like a watch would be way better at almost all of this stuff, at least in terms of notifications. I really don't think all devices should have their own assistant. Our devices should work together harmoniously and not independently.

Generally agree! The thing is, I prefer mechanical watches over smart watches and I always wear glasses anyway.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ah ok than cool. Wasn't trying to harsh your ks excitement, either. They honestly seem to do most everything I love my AW for.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Ah ok than cool. Wasn't trying to harsh your ks excitement, either. They honestly seem to do most everything I love my AW for.

Nah no worries. Super valid points overall. Like I'd love to see notifications on the glasses like google glass but without all the hardware. I assume I could have the glasses read out notifications and messages.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it seems to do basically everything cheap chinese smartbands do, and most of the electronics there would easily fit on a frame considering how small they usually are. Having the glasses double as a headset is a pretty good idea. I'm concerned about weight, though.

I wonder if they won't get sued by Ray-ban. Ray-ban sued a shitload of people for copying frame designs even in places it has no chance of winning (China lmao). And one of the models there with the carbon fiber pattern on the sides is literally my current glasses, which cost as much as they are charging for theirs.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 30, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So this is either really good news or really lovely news...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/30/13802996/fitbit-buy-pebble-deal-reportedly-close

Pebble is dead, Fitbit is apparently buying the ashes.

As an owner of both products Fitbit's notification system is useless, Pebble's is good to great. Pebble's fitness tracking is poo poo, Fitbit is good to great.

So either Fitbit will combine their really good embedded hardware and software with Pebble's OS and come out with a the first non-Apple watch that is both a great fitness tracker and a great smartwatch or one of the best smartwatch makers is being scraped for IP and talent.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
As someone who never bought a Pebble. hosed up if true.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So will I never get my Time 2 now? :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

So this is either really good news or really lovely news...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/30/13802996/fitbit-buy-pebble-deal-reportedly-close

Pebble is dead, Fitbit is apparently buying the ashes.

As an owner of both products Fitbit's notification system is useless, Pebble's is good to great. Pebble's fitness tracking is poo poo, Fitbit is good to great.

So either Fitbit will combine their really good embedded hardware and software with Pebble's OS and come out with a the first non-Apple watch that is both a great fitness tracker and a great smartwatch or one of the best smartwatch makers is being scraped for IP and talent.

Yeah, my hope is Fitbit can take what it is good at and combine it with what Pebble is good at, but we'll see. :(

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Three Olives posted:

So either Fitbit will combine their really good embedded hardware and software with Pebble's OS and come out with a the first non-Apple watch that is both a great fitness tracker and a great smartwatch

I can't think of any tech acquisition where this has happened between two competitors.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I'm really liking my Charge 2 except for the tiny issue where it stops tracking steps :psyduck: The FitBit forums are full of 'just reset your phone and the tracker 2 or 3 times!"

As if that's sustainable :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would really like an Android Wear watch that has at least 1 day battery life (ie. 24 hours, not 1 work day, I don't want to have to charge it until bedtime) and is reasonably priced. Does such a thing exist?