Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Elias_Maluco posted:

The walled kingdom is sheltered (well, was) from outside conflict by being completely isolated and sitting on a huge stockpile of weapons of mass destruction. And internally, society is kept united and under control by the idea that they are the last bastion of humanity surrounded by the horror of the titans

There's really nothing utopian about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kassad posted:

There's really nothing utopian about that.

It is if your utopian ideal is an stable, 100% controlled society with no war or class/race/sectarian conflicts.

Like the walled kingdom kinda was before the attack

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

That's not true either though. Don't forget about the slavers from early on who kidnapped Eren and Mikasa + the wealthy businessmen being assholes during the wall breach.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So wait... does this mean that Mikasa isn't the only Asian left in the world? :v:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

change my name posted:

That's not true either though. Don't forget about the slavers from early on who kidnapped Eren and Mikasa + the wealthy businessmen being assholes during the wall breach.

Yeah, ok: it wanst perfect, it was already failing by itself. But that it was the idea, a society without conflict or change

That or I cant make sense of the king fleeing the continent to isolate the eldians in this crazy walled world with a completely rewritten version of history to make they believe they are the last humans

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 10, 2016

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So wait... does this mean that Mikasa isn't the only Asian left in the world? :v:

She's probably part of the remnants of some ethnic group that was wiped out during the period of racial cleansing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Piriwi posted:

The real mystery that was introduced that I definitely expect to be relevant at some point in the future is who is owl, the contact in the Marley government. Not much to go on at this point, although maybe Grishna will have something to say next chapter...

I'm expecting that, rather than being a sympathizer, Owl is a method the Marley government uses to track and control Eldian dissidents.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Good ol Emmanuel Goldstein

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

free basket of chips posted:

Good ol Emmanuel Goldstein

That's exactly what I was thinking of.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm expecting that, rather than being a sympathizer, Owl is a method the Marley government uses to track and control Eldian dissidents.

This is what I was thinking as well, just because that's how this manga constantly subverts its information. You thought it was this way, but we were manipulating you the entire time since that way you all gather in one area to wipe you out.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If that was the case, why they needed Zeke betrayal to catch the revolutionaries?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
As a test of his loyalties to the state over his family. Gotta know that child soldier is fully brainwashed before you give him the monkey business.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Squidster posted:

As a test of his loyalties to the state over his family. Gotta know that child soldier is fully brainwashed before you give him the monkey business.

Thank you for this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Squidster posted:

Pretty much exactly this.

If the kingdom of Marley controls seven of the nine titans, then they need a constant supply of controllable Eldians. They've probably gotten very good at brainwashing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
idk, from what Ive read last chapter, it seems like that was the first time they recruited eldians to fight for then, not at all like something they have been doing constantly

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Sub Harrison posted:

Maybe the King decided he's fed up with constant war and told everyone, the Marleys and his clansmen, to go gently caress themselves and built his walls and crazy kingdom where noone has to fight eachother.

This would make sense, since every member of the royal family who inherited the memories immediately got on board the peace train. If they got his memories of the horrible poo poo that was going on on the mainland, that would explain them all immediately supporting keeping the populace sealed away.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Elias_Maluco posted:

idk, from what Ive read last chapter, it seems like that was the first time they recruited eldians to fight for then, not at all like something they have been doing constantly
It seems like they had Eldian titans fighting for them during the titan wars, but these titans died and their powers were left preserved in safeguarded serums because the Marley government decided an industrialized army was much more controllable and reliable than a handful of uncontrollable superhumans. Of course, you need these superhumans in order to potentially mind control the giant horde of titans still trapped within the walls, so Marley had to take the risk of reviving their titan force.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Elias_Maluco posted:

It seems like the first time they have recruited Eldians from the ghetto publically, but given that the Marley government somehow controls seven of the nine titans, they must have used Eldian's before.

Here are some wild, unsubstantiated, guesses as to how that may have worked:

• There may be a class of "secret" Eldians that publicly pass as Marley citizens. They have the duty to become titan shifters for the government, on threat of having their families exposed/killed/being sent to Paradise. Maybe the royal family in exile was a part of this? (This is the stick approach.)
  • Just like they may have tracking dissidents, they may track potential loyalists. In exchange for becoming loyal titan shifters, they or their family are given certain perks. (This is the carrot approach.)

The government's effort to recruit children directly from the ghettos is likely something unique to their planned assault on Paradise Island. For whatever reason they need all their shifters to be of a certain age, and their previous approaches couldn't meet that quota.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I think they want children because shifter power makes you age incredibly fast. Zeke looks like he's in his 40s but based on this flashback (assuming the wall world and outside world say the walls appeared the same many years ago) if the King dissapeared 80 years before Zeke's birth, and the fall of Maria was 100 years, Zeke has to be in his 20s.

It's hard to tell though if the dates don't match since by contrast a mindless titan doesn't age at all, so Grisha could have been wandering for a couple decades before coming to Shiganshina.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Reiner, Bert and Annie seemingly aged at the same rate as the rest of the kids. May just be stress/art.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe Zeke grew a bunch of hair from taking the monkey serum and he's actually only like 18.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Just now caught up after about a year of being behind and man. I really wish I waited a week or two because pretty much every single question I had about the series up to this point has been answered, but almost all of them have been replaced by new stuff, and waiting to see what even will begin to happen is the worst.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

This is honestly a kind of strange discrepancy. Everyone seems to known and accept that Marley has been "using" the power of the titans, but recruiting Eldians seems like a new and strange thing that they need to specifically justify. At this point it doesn't add up. If they had secretly been using Eldians in the past... they could just keep doing that.

It's possible that they were using the power of the titans for something other than shifters. Who knows what that might be though.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
If people get shipped to the walled city how the hell are people not noticing all these immigrants showing up.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They're shipped as titans.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Maybe it's some underground railroad poo poo

They have talked about what it's like beneath the walls and all that

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

RatHat posted:

Maybe Zeke grew a bunch of hair from taking the monkey serum and he's actually only like 18.

Zeke was let's say 7 when he sold out his dad. Since then Grisha found his way inside the walls, did a bunch of stuff we know but I forgot, and settled down with his new wife and son. Zeke is at least 8 years older than Eren, and I'd give him another ten just for good measure. That puts Zeke somewhere in his 30s, exactly right for anime old man.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Grisha probably did something to wipe out all the shifters in Zeke's generation except him cus y'know its his son.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Thoren posted:

If people get shipped to the walled city how the hell are people not noticing all these immigrants showing up.

I'll repost this picture now that most people have read the chapter:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eiba posted:

This is honestly a kind of strange discrepancy. Everyone seems to known and accept that Marley has been "using" the power of the titans, but recruiting Eldians seems like a new and strange thing that they need to specifically justify. At this point it doesn't add up. If they had secretly been using Eldians in the past... they could just keep doing that.

It's possible that they were using the power of the titans for something other than shifters. Who knows what that might be though.

Yeah, we dont know that yet. To me it seems Marley was using the power of titans somewhat like a power source (or a materias source or something like that), some use that helped then advance, but they didnt used the titans directly. How come, I have no idea.

But they need to have some control over the titans powers anyway since they are turning people into mindless ones, which is a titan power

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
While it would make sense that Zeke would want to chomp down Eren for the coordinate power, it's a pretty stupid plan, possibly unbeknownst to him, since his mother was royalty and thus he'll likely get taken over by the original king's memories like everyone else with royal blood.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I'm not so sure Zeke has the true royal blood. Fritz was also the name of the fake King, when it turned out the Reiss family control the Progenitor titan. Maybe the Fritz family are the owners of the mysterious 2nd titan that came in to the walls?

Also, didn't the vial saying "armor" from Reiss' bag have Reiner's family name on it? How does that fit in? When they chose the kids to become shifters, were they also checking their bloodline to make sure they could inherit the titan's full power?

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 12, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Maybe Grisha is an unreliable narrator, being a radicalized terrorist and all, and this entire chapter was a massive pile of mcguffins. :v:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Do you mean red herrings?

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Sub Harrison posted:

I'm not so sure Zeke has the true royal blood.

I think the Breach/Utgard arc is pretty good evidence that he's a descendant of the first king. He has the ability to control mindless titans and I think it's heavily implied he turned Connie's village into titans through some alternative method like his voice or something, or at least I really can't imagine him sauntering from house to house to inject them with serum and them just staying indoors with all the chaos that would be going on, they would have to all turn at once. Those abilities sound like a milder version of the coordinate so I believe there's a connection there. Maybe the Reiss took the duty from the Fritz at some point but kept them installed as the figurehead so as not to shake things up too much.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

yellowyams posted:

I think the Breach/Utgard arc is pretty good evidence that he's a descendant of the first king. He has the ability to control mindless titans and I think it's heavily implied he turned Connie's village into titans through some alternative method like his voice or something, or at least I really can't imagine him sauntering from house to house to inject them with serum and them just staying indoors with all the chaos that would be going on, they would have to all turn at once. Those abilities sound like a milder version of the coordinate so I believe there's a connection there. Maybe the Reiss took the duty from the Fritz at some point but kept them installed as the figurehead so as not to shake things up too much.

If Zeke could simply do those things by virtue of having royal blood then his mother wouldn't have needed help from some dissidents in the slum and the Eldian's wouldn't be living in a ghetto.

Edit: I'm not arguing that Zeke didn't turn those people into titans or that he can't exert control over them, but that's almost certainly a power the Marley government provided for him.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 12, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
He was more commanding them than controlling, since they could disobey his orders a bit.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Maybe the Reiss family has always been the true holders of the original titan power, Fritz has always been a figurehead, and the Marely just don't know about it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I am thinking that maybe the Reiss were just one of the titan clans, but stole the power of the original titan from the last king during the civil war, and then enslaved him through mind control

The Reiss were probably the one behind moving to Paradis and building the walls, and not the real royal family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the Reiss family is the Fritz family. They just changed their name to be more anonymous.