Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Props to Gundham's english VA because he's so good, like almost good as his japanese VA and that's saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Gundam is what we like to call a Chuunibyou.

Some other famous Chuunibyous:
-Rintarou Okabe (alias Hououin Kyouma) from Steins;Gate
-Owain from Fire Emblem: Awakening

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Gundham and Ibuki are both pretty cool. Neither one is The Best Character (that's still coming), but they're both awesome nonetheless.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Junpei posted:

You know, if Gundam's mannerisms are the creepiest thing in this game I think we're gonna be alright.

But I'm sort of scared that he'll try to summon Satan or something.

The Persona Monoham has emerged from the sea of your soul!

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Apparently NISA changed his name from Gundam to Gundham to get around trademarks, but they made sure it was still pronounced the same as Gundam. Also, he is a gigantic ham, so it works.

As for his last name, Tanaka is a common name, like Smith.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

And Gundham is officially my favorite character in the game. Boy, that didn't take long to decide!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

For some reason, I completely forgot about Gundam when naming my favorite characters in this game.

Easily my third favorite character after Hinata and Komaeda.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 10, 2016

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Gundam is indeed amazing and his voice acting works quite well.

Also the hamsters are adorable.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gundham is way too over the top for me. Yes, everyone in DR2 is over the top compared to DR1 but everyone else still feels like they're rooted by realistic personality traits. There's just nothing about Gundham that you'd find in a real person.

Ibuki though, Ibuki would be my favourite character if someone else wasn't better.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I dunno, I've met people a lot like Gundam IRL. Just... Less charming. Chuunibyou (aka "What are you like twelve") tend to be pretty obnoxious in reality.

Ibuki is still the best and I adore her.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Gundham's Edgy McVoldemort shtick is one of those things that would be really annoying in a real person, but isn't here. Primarily because here there were a good number of writers trying to keep it from getting too annoying, as that wouldn't be very fun to play.

Ibuki's so-random Genki girl thing grated me at first, but I think it was just played up a bit too much in her introduction so that people could get a good handle on her character immediately. She's real fun too.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

I dunno, I've met people a lot like Gundam IRL. Just... Less charming. Chuunibyou (aka "What are you like twelve") tend to be pretty obnoxious in reality.

That's because they didn't have hamsters :colbert:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'll be devil's advocate and say so far Gundam is just annoying to me and I can't wait for someone to dunk on him as nerds properly should be dunked on. :colbert:
As for everyone else they're okay so far, since we've only met 5 characters anyway.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I love all of our friends on this island, except that rear end in a top hat Steve! gently caress you, Steve!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gundam and Ibuki are the best. Well, second best.... or maybe third to sixth best? Anyway, they're really great.

I don't know much about chuunibyous but Gundam is the only one I've ever seen make it look cool.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Time to check out this hotel.

: Wow...this is a pretty nice hotel...!
: The Hotel Mirai, huh? It looks like it's named for the Japanese word for "future." When we were told to live on this island, I was worried we'd have to pitch a tent or something...
: If we can live in a grand hotel like this, I don't think we'll have to worry about being comfortable.
: Comfort isn't an option here... We don't even known why we're being forced to live on this island... How can you just accept this!? You're way too excited about living here!
: Well, it seems obvious that this area would make a good base, so why don't we look around for a bit?
: ...

Why is this guy...so calm? It's like he doesn't think this situation is a big deal at all... Has he been through a lot of trauma or something?

: A map will be displayed if you press the Triangle button. I said the Triangle button. Don't make me repeat myself.

: The hotel is a 3D area like the hallways in the first game. As such, there's a map of it. The hotel and rooms are the dedicated Dormitory area.

: To the north, the male dorms.

: To the south, the female dorms.

: In the middle, there's a gigantic pool for everyone to enjoy.

: And off to the right...

: Hm...? That's right... You haven't told me your name...
: My name...

: I am the Ultimate Team Manager, NEKOMARU NIDAI!!!

: Voice Actor: Patrick Seitz

: U-Um...hello. I'm Hajime Hinata...
: Hold it right there! Your voice is too soft! Let your voice rise from the bottom of your stomach!
: U-Um... I'm Hajime Hinata!

: Noooooo! You can be louder than that! Do it again!
: My name is Hajime Hinata! Pleased to make your acquaintance!
: I AM NEKOMARU NIDAI! Don't forget it, even if you go to hell! I am the Ultimate Team Manager, NEKOMARU NIDAI!!!
: Y-You don't need to repeat your name so much. I won't forget it...
: Gah-hahaha! I agree to your terms!

H-He sure is boisterous... It's not just his voice, his whole body seems loud.

: Nekomaru Nidai is known as the Ultimate Team Manager.
: The Ultimate...Team Manager? So he's not on a team, he just manages one?
: He's not just a team manager... After all, he's an Ultimate. He's traveled to numerous towns and played an active role in various sports clubs managing their teams. For instance, he led some high school rugby team full of delinquents to victory in the national play-offs... He also rescued a baseball club on the verge of being shut down, and led them to national victory as well... Rumor has it he's even training that famous Japanese pitcher who plays in the American League.

I-If that's all true, he totally deserves to be called the Ultimate Team Manager, but...

: Gah-hahaha!

But...with a build like his, he'd be better off playing on a team instead of managing it.

: ...Who the hell are you? Don't talk all friendly and poo poo to me, dumbass.

This guy is already in a crappy mood.

: What're you lookin' at!? You got something you wanna say, bastard!?
: ...R-Relax, Fuyuhiko. We're only here to introduce ourselves.
: ...What? Introduce yourselves?
: See, you haven't been properly introduced to each other, right?
: Hmph... ...

: Name's Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu... Just so we're clear, I don't plan to act friendly and poo poo with you guys.

: Voice Actor: Derek Stephen Prince

Even though he's got a babyface, he's also incredibly rude...

: Fuyuhiko is a high school student and heir to the Kuzuryu Clan.
: Eh? The Kuzuryu Clan... Don't tell me he's--!?
: I'm sure you've at least heard of them before, right? The Kuzuryu Clan is the largest criminal syndicate in the nation, with a membership surpassing 30,000.
: Which means...he's the Ultimate Yakuza.

Th-The heir to a yakuza clan... And it's *the* Kuzuryu Clan, no less...?

: By the way, mentioning his babyface around him is expressly forbidden, so you better be careful. ...You'll run out of fingers before he's done with you.

Th-That was close...I nearly lost all my fingers...

: Nagito... You're, like, my savior or something.
: Haha, you're just exaggerating...uh, guess not.
: Hey, bastards... If we're all done here, how 'bout you dumbasses make like a tree and gently caress off?

: There's an old building by the pool.

: Ah, no, no, no! This old building is in the middle of a renovation project, so you cannot go inside! It's dangerous, you know! *leaves*

Showing up out of nowhere is even more dangerous...

: Hey, aren't you the guy who was squatting on the beach earlier and burying your face in your arms?
: Uh, y-yeah...
: Hey...you gotta keep it together, you know? At times like this, it's the boys' job to keep the girls safe.
: Y-You're right...
: Did you want me to introduce myself? I haven't done it yet, right?

: Let's see... I'm Mahiru Koizumi. I'll be counting on you from now on.

: Voice Actress: Carrie Keranen

: Mahiru is known as the Ultimate Photographer. She has a promising future as a photojournalist. I'm not an expert on photography but I hear she's a young photographer who has won numerous awards. On that note...she's known for her skill at taking pictures of people.

The Ultimate Photographer, huh... Well, there is a camera hanging from her neck... I kind of assumed that already...

: Honestly, I'm a little relieved. You guys seem decent enough.
: ...Hm? Decent?

: Well, there's a lot of weirdos here. I can't tell if they're really Ultimates or, like, just insane... I'm eager to get along with everyone so we can get off this island, but I was worried things wouldn't go well.
: Get off this island...? What do you mean?
: Huh, you don't know? That's what that stuffed animal Usami was saying.

: After you finish collecting all the Hope Fragments that you earn by getting along with everyone...
: This joke of a school trip will be over, and we can all leave this island together.
: Th-That's all we have to do and we can go home!? Is that true? Did she really mean that!?
: Hey, you should be paying closer attention! This is like, really important!
: Well Hajime, now that you know this, you must feel a little relieved, right? As long as we live here peacefully, we'll be able to leave this island soon enough. So there's no reason for you to act so panicky.
: E-Even so... What's the reason...? Why do we have to do something like this? I mean, to go through all the effort of bringing us here so we can all live together and get along... It doesn't make any sense.

: I may not know why we're here, but if that's all we have to do to go home, then that's all there is to it.
: Overall, I'm glad. I mean, it's really not that big of a deal.

Not a big deal...? Really? We're told we're on a school trip without any warning, then we're taken to a place like this... And then we're told...to forget about Hope's Peak Academy... Is he *sure* this isn't a big deal?

: Hey!
: Eh!?

: Don't "eh!?" me, what about your introduction? I've been waiting, like, forever, you know?
: Ah, sorry... I'm Hajime Hinata. Um...it's nice to meet you, too.
: I see...Hajime Hinata, huh?

: Sorry to disappoint you, but I've already made a mental note to remember you as "Unreliable Hajime."
: It's gonna be tough for you to change my mind. You better man up and try even harder to do your best!
: ...I see you're whipped already, Hajime.
: I'm talking to both of you! You better man up and do better! Got it!?

: Next time, we'll enter the hotel.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Nekomaru is a cool dude.

And I guess there were some other people too.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Now we have a guy who puts Kamina (:kamina:) to shame in the hot-blooded department, someone with a fouler mouth than Yuuki Terumi and the only non-Hajime sane person on this island.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

So excited to see this progress. I own 2 on Steam but apart from a playthrough in Japanese i did with the aid of dumb luck and an LP I've never seen it all the way through. I remember going crazy when Oren's LP stopped and I had to make do with a horrible one I found on Tumblr.

I absolutely love this game, though, and can't wait to experience it all over again.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Qrr posted:

Nekomaru is a cool dude.

And I guess there were some other people too.

Nekomaru seems like the kind of dude you could chill with and have a beer, he'd rib ya, but it'd be in good fun!

As for the other two, we have grumpy gangster and skeptical photographer. Fuyuhiko seems like Mondo but with Buyakua's personality.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I like Ibuki. I'm not sure what to make of Gundham. Nekomaru is..something. I'm curious to find out what the nurse's deal is, other than just being what strikes me as some kind of inverse tsundere character or something.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Mahiru seems to be fairly normal, which is quite refreshing among a cast of fantastical weirdos.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Fuyuhiko is such a little poo poo. Kinda like Byakuya was for most of the first game, really.

His character development later makes him my favorite DR guy of them all. It's so good.

Nekomaru's got his moments, but Mahiru.... ehh. None of these people are The Best Character though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really need to use "Make like a tree and gently caress off" some time

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Maybe Fuyuhiko will be one those chill Yakusa after he goes to prison for 10 years and fist fighting a rival boss shirtless on the roof of a skyscraper.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Yeah... Even the inside of this place looks grand, too.
: If this was really a normal school trip, I'd be smiling by now... But...why are we the only ones in this hotel?
: It's an uninhabited island, it can't be helped.

For an uninhabited island, this hotel looks pretty well kept, and it seems electricity won't be an issue... What in the world is going on with this island...?

: ...State your business.
: Well, I just want to introduce myself. Is that all right with you...?
: An introduction...
: Understood, I don't mind.
: I'm Hajime Hinata. Nice to meet you.

: My name is Peko Pekoyama. It is nice to meet you, too.

: Voice Actress: Janice Kawaye

: This dignified-looking woman is known as the Ultimate Swordswoman. It's hard to believe someone with a cute name like Peko Pekoyama could be so skilled with a blade. I've heard she's a kendo master and that most adult men don't even stand a chance against her.

Well, there's definitely something up with her.. Her eyes are really intense.

: If what that rabbit said is true, we are expected to live together on this island.
: Yeah, you're right...

: It is necessary for men and women who live together to respect each other. Don't try anything inappropriate...
: I would prefer...not to kill anyone.
: Kill...? Isn't that sword on your back made of bamboo?
: Though it may seem impossible to kill someone with this, a misaimed blow can be fatal.
: Well, an aimed blow can be fatal, too...

...I'll keep that in mind.

There's some girl playing an arcade game, and she looks completely absorbed by it...

: Hajime, you haven't properly introduced yourself to her either, right?
: Y-Yeah...you're right...

She seems really focused on her game, but I guess I should try to talk to her.

: Um, excuse me? I'd like to introduce myself...
: ...Hey, Chiaki?

: Oh, sorry... I must've been...a little too focused on my game...
: A little...? Are you sure about that?
: Let's see... Oh, right, introductions. Got it. ...

: I'm Chiaki Nanami, the Ultimate Gamer. Video games are my hobby, and I'm a fan of all genres. ...
: Nice to meet you.

: Voice Actress: Christine Marie Cabanos

: I'm Hajime Hinata. Nice to meet you, too...
: ... ...
: Yeah, totally.
: It seems like this conversation is going rather slow...
: Well, she is gaming right now...

: It's more like... ...
: I'm the kind of person who has to gather my thoughts before I can start talking. Like, I can't talk that well unless I've already prepared everything I want to say in my head... Especially when I'm meeting new people... Well, if I get used to them, I can usually talk a little faster.

...She's still focused on her game, and she hasn't looked at me at all... She may be the Ultimate Gamer but how can she play video games at a time like this...?

: Yaaaawn...
: ...I'm sleepy.

: Let's go upstairs.

: So...this is the hotel restaurant.
: It's enormous. We could easily hold a banquet here. It kind of has this tropical, open country feeling.
: ...Open? Even though we're stuck on this island?

: Are we really stuck here...?
: What else could it be...?
: Oh well...let's finish introducing ourselves first. Look, there are two people talking over there.

: That's right... I'm having a hard time because it's full of poison. It really sucks. Speaking of which, it'd be great if you could use your mouth to suck it out...
: Poison...I see...
: H-Hey...do you guys have a moment?
: Whoa...denied...

Denied?

: Hello, it is nice to meet you.
: H-Hello...my name is Hajime Hinata. Nice to meet you too.
: Why, hello there. You must be the new guy.

: My name is Teruteru Hanamura. On the streets, I'm known as the Ultimate Cook...
: But could you guys call me the Ultimate Chef instead? It has more of a...big-city flavor to it, ya know?

: Voice Actor: Todd Haberkorn

: Mmhmhm, I hope we get along well.

: Oh, that reminds me, I have not properly introduced myself either. I am terribly sorry to keep you waiting!

: My name is Sonia Nevermind.

: Voice Actress: Natalie Hoover

: I am a foreign exchange student from a small European kingdom called Novoselic. I may cause trouble here and there, but I hope we can get along well.
: S-Same here... I hope we get along, too.

White procelain skin... Sparkling blue eyes... And her hair glitters like fields of wheat... It's like...she has this mysterious charm that I want to gaze at forever...

: ...Are you enchanted? Well, that probably can't be helped. She's known as the Ultimate Princess, which means she's actual royalty.

The Ultimate Princess...? Normally I'd be surprised to hear that, but... It's not just her beauty, she's just so graceful... I'm completely at ease even though she's a real princess.

: Um, this may be rude of me to say, but...truthfully, I feel happy.
: Huh? What...are you happy about?

: In my home country, I...did not have a single friend my age whose standing in society matched my own. So, to be able to do something like this with everyone is a new experience for me...
: ...I shall extol your virtues.
: "Extol my virtues"...? Th-Thanks.

What the...? I suddenly feel the urge to drop to one knee and bow.

: H-Hey, you three, am I being left off the menu or something?
: No...that's not it...
: Oh Teruteru, it's so like you to check out the restaurant first. As the Ultimate Chef, do you like it?
: Mmhmhm...I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested. And since I do not want to be a liar, then truthfully...
: Yeah, I like it.
: Though I like the big-city flavor of my hometown, a country atmosphere like this is also splendid. Mmhmhmhmhmhm...!
: Hey, are you...?

: Refined? Cultured? Guilty as charged!
: No, not that... You just don't seem very worried, huh?
: Worried? What's there to worry about? Actually, I'm really happy.
: Happy? Why is that...?
: If I can get serious real quick... I have a sneaking suspicion that Miss Peko is actually a bit of a freak, if you catch my meaning. What do you think?
: ...What?

: She's probably wearing a black thong, too. What are your thoughts on that? Now then, shall we discuss this somewhere privately? C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon!
: ...No thanks.
: Well, putting that aside for now... This might also seem unexpected to you, but... I feel like Miss Sonia over there has a good chance of putting out. You see, everybody knows princesses are groomed to lack common sense, right?
: For example, I could tell her my "loins" are full of poison and ask her to suck it out...

Is that...why he was talking about poison earlier?

: ...Pardon me, what are you talking about?
: We'll discuss this later!
: ...I'd better not see you try that again.
: Anyway...when I fantasize about stuff like that, I can't help but look forward to living on this island.
: When it comes to cooking and love, passion is the most important ingredient. Mmhmhmhmhm!

This guys seems...dangerous, but for a completely different reason.

: There's an exit down to the pool from the restaurant.

: Quick check on our Pet and we can see it's been doing its business. Cleaning just entails getting rid of it.

: We're most of the way to having everyone's first Hope Fragment.

: Next time, we meet with the remaining students.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Chiaki... So... Cute... And... My... Type...
Can't... Stop... Must... Cuddle...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wow, I forgot how much of a creep Hanamura was. :stare:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
After orenronen's LP ended I ended up spoiling myself about the ending of this game, but in all honesty I have no idea what happens in between. So I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Junpei posted:

Chiaki... So... Cute... And... My... Type...
Can't... Stop... Must... Cuddle...
:yikes:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah. He's, uh, he's really something.

Chiaki is another surprisingly normal person.

Ultimate Princess is kind of a weird "skill" because it's not like there's a huge amount of competition for the title. Though I guess it's not the first narrow field.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In terms of personality alone, I think Teruteru is my least favorite character. He's such a creep. I won't actually mention who my overall favorite and least favorite characters are yet because I don't want to give away any hints.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah that was...awkward, hes seems like that that you try to avoid cause he says tons of off putting stuff and then gets mad and says "everyone" talks like that.

Peko seems kind of....intense.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
[quote="TheOneAndOnlyT" post=""465243599"]
:yikes:
[/quote]
Well I'm sorry for finding her adorable.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't care what ya'll do, but I'm calling the mechanic Soda and the coach Nidai and the traditional dancer Saionji, because those names are distinct and short enough for me to actually remember.

Junpei posted:

Gundam is what we like to call a jh$dfvd&ffzrlst43y6

What do they call him in words which will actually carry some meaning to most posters on the forum?

Qrr posted:

Yeah. He's, uh, he's really something.

Chiaki is another surprisingly normal person.

Ultimate Princess is kind of a weird "skill" because it's not like there's a huge amount of competition for the title. Though I guess it's not the first narrow field.

She makes about the third "Ultimate Heir" type, after Togami ("Ultimate Legitimate Business Enterprise Heir") and Kuzuryuu ("Ultimate Criminal Enterprise Heir").

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 13, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

He's a neeeeeeeeeerd.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

ChaosArgate posted:

He's a neeeeeeeeeerd.

Specifically the "[Ask] me about growing up with a girl who thinks she's married to anime guys thread" sort.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ugh. It's Steve. gently caress you, Steve.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I've more or less followed oren's old LP and haven't really seen any other info beyond it. Aside from the end of the third case, I guess, but beyond that I'm more or less clueless. Can't wait for introductions to get out of the way so that we can get things rolling have a peaceful, tropical vacation.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

She makes about the third "Ultimate Heir" type, after Togami ("Ultimate Legitimate Business Enterprise Heir") and Kuzuryuu ("Ultimate Criminal Enterprise Heir").

I'm hoping we get a guy that's the Ultimate Hair to go along with them. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

What do they call him in words which will actually carry some meaning to most posters on the forum?
That one kid who's way up his own rear end in fantasyland, with this specific flavor being "acting like a dorky middle schooler."

See also: Troper tales, extra-delusional weaboos, basically half the people mock threads are about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Gundham is great, but straight up, he's probably that kid who always got picked on and had the lion's share of swirlies.

• Locked thread