Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The you-loving-idiots jury reaction shots are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Machine posted:

The you-loving-idiots jury reaction shots are pretty good.
Yeah I'm enjoying that

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I truly is dismal.

I agree that Brooke and Flick are the only ones left who deserve to win. I found Brooke more likeable through most of the show, so i guess she's who I'm going for?

It's like a box of favourites and there's only cherry ripe and turkish delight left.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

The distinct subtext from chitchat this episode is that there are two couples being rude on either side of Flick, and actually she's the moron for not taking that seriously.
Nah, she's fine, because she's in tight with Brooke. So when it gets to five, Brooke and Sam and Flick go together. Or, hell, she flips on Brooke and joins El and Lee because they're easier to beat, who knows. The outsider in the F5 is a nice position to be in though.

Anyway, this has gotten really brutal. Everyone outside of the five has been dead people walking the last few eps anyway, but the fact that you've got the Kylies and Matts in such deep denial over it, yikes

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 6, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh I forgot, Lee still has a vote canceler. That could complicate things. The show hasn't brought that thing up ever again so far.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

newtestleper posted:

I truly is dismal.

I agree that Brooke and Flick are the only ones left who deserve to win. I found Brooke more likeable through most of the show, so i guess she's who I'm going for?

It's like a box of favourites and there's only cherry ripe and turkish delight left.
Cherry Ripe is awesome man

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

newtestleper posted:

I truly is dismal.

Sooo the two best things in the box?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

bowmore posted:

pedantry

Wandle Cax posted:

more pedantry

You know what I mean. I'm actually a big fan of turkish delight myself, but as a master chocolate strategist I know not to take it first.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Met posted:

Oh my god.

Listening to RHAP Recap on these two episodes. I didn't even notice, but apparently Matt proposed a split vote. The only people not in that conversation were Jenna-Louis and Sue and Jenna-Louis had the immunity necklace. So they're going to put votes on Sue and... one of the people listening to you, Matt? loving idiot.

Matt proposed a split vote and seems that Matt forgot who he was supposed to vote for, which ended up ruining Sue & JL's master plan to gently caress over a split vote.

Even though they are smug and arrogant about it, you have to at least respect the game play of Flick, Brooke, and El. They have a solid 3 personal alliance but have managed to make everyone on the outside feel like they are part of their alliance and not in a bottom of it.

Not sure if it's a lack of knowledge of the game play that has everyone believing their position, or if maybe the fact that they are on day 40+ they are just so exhausted they aren't able to reason correctly.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so there is supposed to be a big twist coming?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

bowmore posted:

so there is supposed to be a big twist coming?

They are using every other twist in Survivor, might as well do a Redemption Island as well.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Matt proposed a split vote and seems that Matt forgot who he was supposed to vote for, which ended up ruining Sue & JL's master plan to gently caress over a split vote.

At first I was thinking that Sue pissed him off enough during tribal that he just flipped to her thinking they'd have the numbers regardless, and then RHAP reminded me about Kristie letting him read his letter from home and his unease with voting for her after that, so I think either of those are options. It sucks, though, I was really excited for that moment to work for Sue and JL.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

SUNDAY EPISODE SPOILERS BELOW.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Holy poo poo, I can't believe that just happened! (just kidding, I gotta wait until monday to watch :()

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Spoiler: nothing happened.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you could skip this episode

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
This was the best episode so far in this season.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I thought Brooke and Flick pivoting from an alliance of five to get through 9 to an alliance of four to get through 7 was really masterful... showed just how much of a stranglehold they have on this game.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

MONDAY EPISODE SPOILERS BELOW

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
smart plays make for boring tv

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
This episode was cool and good I don't know what you're thinking. Brooke would've waltzed to victory if she wasn't voted out.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I was being facetious. I was just trying to maintain the surprise for people.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Who is reading this thread before watching the episode?

Episode 20

Matty being super smug right after Sue's boot. Thinking he's always making moves when he's going to be chewed up and spat out so quickly.

Kristie finally gets it? We'll see.

Lee tries to pull Kristie back in. Tells her that Matt should be next to go to open the oppurtunity for her.

That immunity challenge was terrible for suspense. Whenever someone said they had it, absolutely no music played if they were wrong. But LONG loving DRAMATIC MUSIC when Brooke had it.

"Matt, in a game of chess, it's easy to take out the opponent's Pawn but is it smarter to use the pawn to take out a Queen?"

What the gently caress was that, Jonathan?

El reveals she thinks of alliances just like Kylie. "I would make a big move but I'm in an alliance." No wonder we haven't seen anything from her.

People were hard on Kristie early in the season but I figured she wasn't completely clueless. This was the second tribal in a row she was used as the second vote for the votesplit and El was one of those to vote for her. I don't think she'll be integrating into the Lee/El pair with confidence.

Pagonging thoroughly applied. The only thing left to do is watch Brooke win and hope it's absolutely delightful when Matt and Kristie realize how badly they hosed up time and time again.

I'm glad they switched to three episodes a week. I don't know if I could stick with the show with only 2 a week... or god forbid 1. It's so boring. How do you fix this? Merge later with more swaps before the merge?

Episode 21

I predict Kristie will go home because none of these people think they need to make a real move for their end-game.

Post tribal talk is dull.

Reward Challenge: I don't even care who wins. It doesn't really matter. None of the competitors care either it seems.

Brooke thinks El and Lee can beat her. El doesn't get any screentime so I bet that's not happening. Lee... maybe? But the show is so focused on Brooke I just don't see her losing.

I notice Kristie isn't included at all in any of these strategy discussions up to the halfway point on the episode right now. She really has NO chance this season. Ditto for Matty.

I wish I could understand what people are saying at x2 video speed. I have to stick with x1.5

Lee wins immunity.

Flick says, "I know for a fact I'm in the top four."

EGG ON MY FACE. Brooke voted out.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

There's no show tonight.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
FINALLY! Would be fine with a Flick win, good cutthroat move on her part.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
Genuinely surprised at that episode! I don't think Flick did her game any favors, she didn't have a shot of winning against Brooke but if she had gone to the end with Sam or Matt I think she could have won. Now her even getting to the Final 2 is in doubt. Kristie coming from nowhere to win the game is actually looking surprisingly possible to me now.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah that move from Flick seems pretty inexplicable to me. So you betray your best friend and day one ally and now you're left with a power couple you're not part of that has a vote canceler in their possession plus a straggler from their original tribe. After waiting so long for this alliance to finally turn on itself it does but in a way that just puzzles me. I can buy that people were starting to get tired of Brooke being so overconfident but I still don't know that it was a good move from Flick and it's too bad to lose Brooke here as opposed to El or Lee whose long-term edits have been much more boring.

Also pouring one out for the Sam/Lee bromance

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Trying to think about it generously, maybe she thinks since Sam was in Brooke's pocket, she can't possibly vote out Brooke once they reach F4 and can't beat her?

But if we take the players at their word that Lee and El are among the biggest jury threats, then she's still in trouble. So she'd have to flop right back and take out those two, make it to the end like a pro, and then not be snubbed by an angry jury

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Met posted:

I'm glad they switched to three episodes a week. I don't know if I could stick with the show with only 2 a week... or god forbid 1. It's so boring. How do you fix this? Merge later with more swaps before the merge?

Don't have a 55-day season and don't have 24 people. I think a vast majority of the problems with this season can be chalked up to how altering the format in this way changes the entire flow of the game. Most of the good game players were voted out fairly early on, the players all seem exhausted, and I'm honestly exhausted with it too.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Here's a reddit link that gets updated with all the Jury Villa videos accessible outside of Australia.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hoping for the Kristy win, she is a game player

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also I lover her unhinged laughs ¯\_(ツ)_/

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Kristie will probably win and it will be the least satisfying outcome.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Mills posted:

Kristie will probably win and it will be the least satisfying outcome.
yeah she should be voted out already but for a fake tribal, and the reason she's been left around now is because she's so quiet they forget about her

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

obliriovrons posted:

Don't have a 55-day season and don't have 24 people. I think a vast majority of the problems with this season can be chalked up to how altering the format in this way changes the entire flow of the game. Most of the good game players were voted out fairly early on, the players all seem exhausted, and I'm honestly exhausted with it too.

This is certainly part of the problem, but I think the bigger issue was the way they dissolved the 3 tribes into 2. Not only did it create a scenario where one tribe would probably win every challenge, it kept some of the basic tribal lines intact. If they really wanted to do it this way, there should have been a second (random) swap at some point before the merge to mix up the dynamics a bit.

It also doesn't help that a big chunk of the minority alliance in the post-merge consisted of people that were all-but-voted-out and saved by a last minute twist (Conner, Kristie, and Nick), so these were not exactly the best opposition to the majority.

Fast Luck posted:

yeah she should be voted out already but for a fake tribal, and the reason she's been left around now is because she's so quiet they forget about her

Imagine the alternate universe where Kristie was voted out last night, and Phoebe was in the final 7 as the sole remaining Vavau.

While I don't think that would actually happen, I have to wonder how different this season would have been if that happened, given that a big reason the majority alliance has been so unstoppable is that El and Lee had no ties to the minority alliance besides Kristie who didn't even seem to realize she was in the minority. Phoebe would have been the only one to have a chance of flipping El and Lee and it's easy to imagine a completely different post-merge game if that happened.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

mancalamania posted:

This is certainly part of the problem, but I think the bigger issue was the way they dissolved the 3 tribes into 2. Not only did it create a scenario where one tribe would probably win every challenge, it kept some of the basic tribal lines intact. If they really wanted to do it this way, there should have been a second (random) swap at some point before the merge to mix up the dynamics a bit.

It also doesn't help that a big chunk of the minority alliance in the post-merge consisted of people that were all-but-voted-out and saved by a last minute twist (Conner, Kristie, and Nick), so these were not exactly the best opposition to the majority.

Yeah, it's weird, and it clearly comes across as a production team that's creating their first season of Survivor rather than their 33rd. Twists for the sake of twists, no twists when shaking the game up definitely would've served to make everything interesting, so many consecutive episodes of Brooke and El and Flick just pagonging everyone out... and then on US Survivor we expect a swap and don't have one, presumably because both tribes have compelling tribe dynamics that will be fun to watch play out. I think it's just the problems of a rookie production team vs. one that has been making Survivor for 16 years.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Fast Luck posted:

Trying to think about it generously, maybe she thinks since Sam was in Brooke's pocket, she can't possibly vote out Brooke once they reach F4 and can't beat her?

But if we take the players at their word that Lee and El are among the biggest jury threats, then she's still in trouble. So she'd have to flop right back and take out those two, make it to the end like a pro, and then not be snubbed by an angry jury

I think you nailed her rationale and Flick could do exactly what you suggest, and maybe get some love for it (it'd be drat hypocritical of the jury to be mad at her for making the moves considering everyone's talk of BIG MOVES). I also think she was in huge trouble staying put. Everyone put Brooke over her, Sam is loyal to Brooke not flick, and if Matt is in a final 4 with the original Saanapu, he's going to go with Brooke/Sam or be the target. This was the time to move since they had the pieces, and she can potentially use Matt, Sam and Kristie (if she's truly a floater) to break up the power couple. If not, going toe to toe with Lee and El means everyone has played similar games, but this was Flick's move, not theirs. It clearly pleased the current jury. She'd have the better argument in terms of game play, and I'm not sure how far likability will take Lee and El. Those are definitely arguments we hear, but I'm not they actually matter at the FTC as much as being able to justify your game play and giving sincere answers.

There are obviously other possibilities, like she could go this week, but El and Lee seem like the type to stick with her. The quote from El was something like "I had trusted Brooke a lot, but clearly I should have been trusting Flick more." They also have to get broken up at some point if it's a F2 (which it is, right?), otherwise anyone letting them more forward has to plan on winning immunity at F3. So pretty much Sam only?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That was just an amazing episode for hashtag team TV, whether or not you think Flick's move was quite the correct one. I've hated on her all season and actually like her now.

I think I lean on the side of thinking it was a good move. She couldn't win against Brooke and like I said last week, she's been having power couples aligned with her. Granted, El and Lee fit that description, but I think she was probably correct to prioritize breaking Brooke and Sam.

Say what you like about production, but perhaps compare it to Africa where the contestants literally lived in fenced off zoo exhibits. The planning here has flaws, but for a first/third go I think they're doing well.

And at least they didn't loving name the season after arbitrary generation monikers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

My kneejerk reaction was that it was a totally unjustifiable move but now I'm starting to come around on it. It's at least sorta hazy/grey

• Locked thread