Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Mayor McCheese posted:

One of you is close to someone who needs help... find this person... fast.

Spekkio at the end of time generally gives you a clue, that tells you to talk to a party member or major character for more information.

There are a couple of times when the game doesn't give you a strong enough direction, but even then it's that there was like one scene that showed you EXACTLY where to go so the vague clue now is trying to point you to that.

RatHat posted:

How do you define "fast" when you're dealing with time travel?

It is basically the game's only QTE. You have to enter the commands L-A-R-A into a machine to save Lucca's mom before her dad's machine mangles her mom's legs forever. Super gruesome and tense for an otherwise mostly light-hearted fantasy time adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That line about helping someone fast is in the game, it doesn't go away even if you do the QTE.

It's a bad translation.

What it was trying to say was "Before you decide to finish up the game, you should talk to your party members and do some side quests."

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That line about helping someone fast is in the game, it doesn't go away even if you do the QTE.

It's a bad translation.

What it was trying to say was "Before you decide to finish up the game, you should talk to your party members and do some side quests."

IIRC that's what happens, it's "You should talk to everybody ... oh also ... scary message". The first bit doesn't go away, so the second won't either.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm not 100% positive but I believe the "find this person fast" line is actually referring to Schala and the Black Omen. Most people immediately move to the end from there but I think his dialog changes if you return before entering the final boss.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
He says that even if you don't have a certain character in your party.

It's a translation error.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

He says that even if you don't have a certain character in your party.

It's a translation error.

This is true. I can't find a source to the actual literal translation but the line was supposed to be something like, "some of these quests are very personal, so you should do them quickly". The only reason I associate it with THAT ONE THING is because it's the easiest thing to mess up in the game to screw a 100% run. I remember the first time I came to that locked door where you need to use the shoulder buttons and it turned out my emulator didn't have them mapped. That was fun. (edit: Oh and there was a bug that didn't allow holding down multiple buttons, I eventually had to map all three to one button to trick it)

al-azad posted:

I'm not 100% positive but I believe the "find this person fast" line is actually referring to Schala and the Black Omen. Most people immediately move to the end from there but I think his dialog changes if you return before entering the final boss.

Fans were self-retconning this after Chrono Cross, and I heard people repeating this as thought it was official. You can find it on wiki sites to this day. I don't know if it was ever "officially" retconned that way but it is very widely believed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anything additional for Euro Truck Simulator 2 beyond what is on the wiki?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Anything additional for Euro Truck Simulator 2 beyond what is on the wiki?

Get Podcast Addict or similar.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Anything for Persona 2: Eternal Punishment? I've played a bit of 1 when I was younger, and a decent amount of 3 and 4.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Resident Evil (REmake)? Just about to start my first play through on the PS4 version.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

1redflag posted:

Resident Evil (REmake)? Just about to start my first play through on the PS4 version.

Save your ammo as much as possible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vadun posted:

Anything for Persona 2: Eternal Punishment? I've played a bit of 1 when I was younger, and a decent amount of 3 and 4.

Feel free to cheat battles in whatever emulator you're using because they're super slow and really not fun.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

1redflag posted:

Dump all your stuff in the front hallway, don't even bother with item boxes.

Serpentine around zombies if you can, there really isn't much point in killing them a lot of the time.

Open the front door if you ain't a bitch (don't actually)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is there a universally liked guide to RE/make? I'm pretty sure I own Resident Evil on literally every system it's ever been released on including a couple of Japanese import copies of Biohazard and I've never gotten very far in the game. I know it can be beaten in a couple of hours if you know what you're doing and I'm looking for a nice quick game right now, but running down dead end hallways for hours sounds like a drag.

don't judge me, I got most of them for like a buck or two at most, I don't make a habit of buying tons of editions of a game I don't particularly like.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

Is there a universally liked guide to RE/make? I'm pretty sure I own Resident Evil on literally every system it's ever been released on including a couple of Japanese import copies of Biohazard and I've never gotten very far in the game. I know it can be beaten in a couple of hours if you know what you're doing and I'm looking for a nice quick game right now, but running down dead end hallways for hours sounds like a drag.

don't judge me, I got most of them for like a buck or two at most, I don't make a habit of buying tons of editions of a game I don't particularly like.

TBF I think a guide would ruin the enjoyment of the game, which is about unlocking sections of the mansion and backtracking is an inherent part of the game. As far as tips go, I would say remember that the inventory boxes are all connected, there's almost always a few ink ribbons near each typewriter, and the map explicitly shows you which rooms you've discovered everything in and which rooms still have items in them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

You really should just play RE4. :colbert: Even if you've played it before, just come back to it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Not so much as "before i play" as much as just asking for tips in general about 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors because as far as i can find there isn't a thread for this game/the series as a whole? Can remove my post later if i'm wrong though.

But as to my question, how much is going to change by going down the same path and doing things slightly differently? I'm directly referring to choices made that got me the Knife ending I didn't give Clover the bookmark and right before the end she goes missing and then Jumpy dies, if i go down that same path and then give her the bookmark will it change anything in the slightest? Or is it simply just picking different doors that get you different endings? Do i have to continually sit through the spiels about the Titanic and Ice-9 to do things correctly?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Not so much as "before i play" as much as just asking for tips in general about 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors because as far as i can find there isn't a thread for this game/the series as a whole? Can remove my post later if i'm wrong though.

But as to my question, how much is going to change by going down the same path and doing things slightly differently? I'm directly referring to choices made that got me the Knife ending I didn't give Clover the bookmark and right before the end she goes missing and then Jumpy dies, if i go down that same path and then give her the bookmark will it change anything in the slightest? Or is it simply just picking different doors that get you different endings? Do i have to continually sit through the spiels about the Titanic and Ice-9 to do things correctly?

That choice actually puts you onto the True ending, but you can't get past a certain point without completing one of the others first. The other endings are all dictated by Door choices, incidentally, and if you want a hint on which path to take try rewatching that video shown after the ending you got.

Also any text you've already seen can be fast-forwarded through on subsequent playthroughs. When it hits an altered or new section of dialogue, it'll return to normal speed.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So unless i'm going for the true ending which i can't at this point anyway, i don't really have to worry so much about dialog choices? That's load off my mind at least. I know i can never fully avoid the walls and walls of text but i can save my self seconds of fast forwarding at at time i will :v:

It is a bit of a dick move that i could have locked myself to the lovely second ending by giving the bookmark to her again, i only didn't because i wanted to see what would happen if i didn't.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 12, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
999 is a bit clunky when it comes to endings and having to re-do puzzle rooms, they got better about it after the first game though.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I just want to chime in to say that we are connected by a morphogenic field... I just came to ask the same question.

And, yeah, I just gave Clover the bookmark in my play through last night and it not only opened up a new ending, but I got a poo poo ton of new story too.

EDIT: I just found this, too: http://www.thonky.com/nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors/endings-guide

It's a super bare-bones guide to getting to the endings. No spoilers, outside of spoiling the door sequence.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 12, 2016

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Get Podcast Addict or similar.

I will second this, but before you get lost down a podcast hole check out the in game internet radio browser. There is some neat stuff in there. Ever wondered what Macedonian country music sounds like?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I just want to chime in to say that we are connected by a morphogenic field... I just came to ask the same question.

Well, just let the other guy solve the problems and mooch.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Anything I should know about Spec Ops The Line before I get too far into it? I already know the major twist in the plot, I'm really just looking for gameplay stuff.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Anything I should know about Spec Ops The Line before I get too far into it? I already know the major twist in the plot, I'm really just looking for gameplay stuff.

Shoot mans and stick to cover.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

Shoot mans and stick to cover.

I figured that was it but in some shootymans different weapons are better so I thought I'd check.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Not really. I tried to play pretty conservatively since you die fairly quick if you stand around taking bullets. Mechanically, it's a straightforward shooter.

There are only a handful of environmental kills you can pull off. Usually sand-related, so look out for those.

I believe there are achievements for doing certain scripted encounters a certain way. Look them up if you're not afraid of spoiling lesser plot elements.

It is a pretty drat dark game, even without the plot twist.

There are actually four endings to the game, depending on actions you take at the very end. One is the suicide route, the other three involve shooting Konrad, and either surrendering, going out in a hail of bullets, or fighting and defeating everyone. I believe there is an auto save near the end if you dont want to redo the whole chapter.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

juliuspringle posted:

Play on a difficulty where you'll die pretty regularly. The loading screen messages start getting more hosed up as the game goes on.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So, I was looking through my steam games list for a title I could jokingly ask advice for (secret of the magical crystals in particular), but then I came across one game I don't remember buying called Keen Dreams.

So, anything I should expect playing it? The only preview image on the games list looks like a snowy field, with a child in his pajamas and butts sticking out of the snow, so now I'm curious.

Also while I'm at it, any general tips for Lisa? I stopped playing early on after getting a game over vs this one horrible mutated lump of a human being and forgot about it.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

Play on a difficulty where you'll die pretty regularly. The loading screen messages start getting more hosed up as the game goes on.

Is there an difference in weapons? Like if I run out of assault rifle ammo can I just grab a different type of assault rifle off a dead guy and be fine?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Is there an difference in weapons? Like if I run out of assault rifle ammo can I just grab a different type of assault rifle off a dead guy and be fine?

The weapons have unique ammo but don't worry about it. Your partners are effective and can hold their own, and the game follows Uncharted rules where there's conveniently ammo scattered everywhere at the moments you need it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pumpkinreaper posted:

So, I was looking through my steam games list for a title I could jokingly ask advice for (secret of the magical crystals in particular), but then I came across one game I don't remember buying called Keen Dreams.

So, anything I should expect playing it? The only preview image on the games list looks like a snowy field, with a child in his pajamas and butts sticking out of the snow, so now I'm curious.

I feel bad for you that you don't know what Commander Keen is.

Well, I'm assuming you don't know, maybe you did? Either way, Keen Dreams is the "lost episode" in the six-part Commander Keen saga. CK4 (the second shareware episode, after CK1) is the best one, but Keen Dreams is similarly great.

It's a simple platformer, with a pogo stick mechanic that's kind of fun.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Anything for Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

blackguy32 posted:

Anything for Rise of the Tomb Raider?

You can collect gold coins that can get you access to some toys potentially a bit early. DLC weapons are 100% no question better than the base mode of that weapon type. Tombs are side areas that give bonuses to various skills, and all of them are worth it.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there something pistol like (smaller than assault rifle I mean) that kicks the poo poo out of the M9 in Spec Ops? Because I'm a bit into it now and that doesn't feel like as good a backup as it did in the beginning. Also what are some other games with this plot twist? I know the first COD Modern Warfare apparently (or it's similar to Spec Ops) I just feel that's a story element I want more of.

edit: Apparently I was thinking of ADVANCED Warfare.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Bought Killer is Dead on a whim, and I know nothing about it except that it's a Suda51 game. Anything to keep in mind besides that?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Is there something pistol like (smaller than assault rifle I mean) that kicks the poo poo out of the M9 in Spec Ops? Because I'm a bit into it now and that doesn't feel like as good a backup as it did in the beginning. Also what are some other games with this plot twist? I know the first COD Modern Warfare apparently (or it's similar to Spec Ops) I just feel that's a story element I want more of.

edit: Apparently I was thinking of ADVANCED Warfare.

So like, story-driven modern day FPS? Or ones with big twists in them? I can't really think of many with the latter, since its twist is really what set it apart, but if you're looking for solid story, then you have a ton of options.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Also depends on what kind of twist you are looking for. Bioshock has a pretty big twist. In fact most of the story FPS games I can think of have plot twists.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It seems like most shooters anymore end up including a twist of some sort just because they're expected to have them as part of the formula. Bioshock games at least do them somewhat well. One of the more recent Battlefield games (4, I think?) has what is clearly supposed to be a Call of Duty inspired "twist" moment in it, but since you don't really have a reason to care, it fell flat. You don't really buy BF games for single-player, but still.

I don't think I'd classify them as particularly twist-laden, but I would encourage you to check out the Metro series of games. They're fairly atmospheric/story based shooters. I haven't played the remakes of the first couple, but I understand they're in the same engine as Last Light, and that was pretty good. Even with the older, clunkier engine of the Originals, the Metro games were pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to say Metal Gear Solid 2 but understanding that game's meta-context requires playing MGS1 which you should do anyway! It's crazy that MGS2 couldn't more relevant today in America's political climate.