Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bleacher Report wants to get those sweet sweet millenial clicks by broadcasting high school football on Facebook Live

quote:

And producers will be capturing Instagram and using the MSQRD app which allows users to try out different masks and effects.

10 Ways High School Football Is Just Like You Remember, But Not How You Think!
[Begin Slideshow]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So have we given up trying to figure out what the hell a Millenial even is at this point and just using it for anyone under 65?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Niwrad posted:

I find myself skipping the TNF or MNF games to watch something on Netflix a lot more than I used to. I don't really even know why. Maybe there are better options available, maybe it's the excess commercials, maybe I don't have the attention span I used to. Still love RedZone Channel to death but watching regular season games that the Bears aren't in have just gotten boring to me.

NFL games are too loving long and start too late. Not only that, but now it's quite easy to catch highlights online of games in a match of the day (British Premier League highlight show) format. Why would you stay up until 11:30 to watch a game that has two teams you don't care about when you can catch a 5 minute highlight reel the next morning?

And yes Sash!, pretty much. To TV execs/baby boomer, a millennial is any human being who doesn't conform to their marketing standards.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, ignoring the ethical issues I have with the NFL as a whole, the games take for-loving-ever, there's far less choice in what I can see (compared to college), and the whole event is just so sanitized and milquetoast that it almost becomes a victim of its own success. I don't doubt the talent level of the NFL is well above that of the college game but when the celebration is taken out, the pagentry is taken out, and you can pretty easily predict most outcomes, it just kills it for me. It doesn't help that being in NW Ohio, if I wanted to watch the NFL, I'm stuck with watching two of the worst NFL franchises of the last 20 years.

Back when I did still watch the NFL, I would usually watch the Sunday Night game, but I don't think I've watched MNF since.... christ, maybe the mid 2000s. I've never seen a Thursday night game.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sash! posted:

So have we given up trying to figure out what the hell a Millenial even is at this point and just using it for anyone under 65?

It's pretty ridiculous how it sometimes includes people born as early as 1980. It should really be "people who have always had ubiquitous access to the internet", which is at least 1990 and maybe even later.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I have no idea if I'm a "Millennial" or not. Somehow people born 2 years before me and their kids are both Millennials? Which one is it.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Millenials are anyone younger than you that you don't like.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

Yeah, ignoring the ethical issues I have with the NFL as a whole, the games take for-loving-ever, there's far less choice in what I can see (compared to college), and the whole event is just so sanitized and milquetoast that it almost becomes a victim of its own success. I don't doubt the talent level of the NFL is well above that of the college game but when the celebration is taken out, the pagentry is taken out, and you can pretty easily predict most outcomes, it just kills it for me. It doesn't help that being in NW Ohio, if I wanted to watch the NFL, I'm stuck with watching two of the worst NFL franchises of the last 20 years.

Back when I did still watch the NFL, I would usually watch the Sunday Night game, but I don't think I've watched MNF since.... christ, maybe the mid 2000s. I've never seen a Thursday night game.

I only watch Eagles games anymore

I am Spartacus MILLENNIAL

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Do you dislike someone for no real reason?

Are they your age? If yes, they're hipsters.

Are they younger than you? If yes, they're millennials.

Are they older than you? If yes, they're out of touch coots

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Funny thing is college football ratings haven't fallen off a cliff.

I say a lot of it is matchups, I mean look at the next Sunday/Monday night games

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

I say a lot of it is matchups, I mean look at the next Sunday/Monday night games

it's definitely matchups, but it's also that college ball is a shitload more accessible too. You can see drat near every game out there with a basic cable package. With the NFL I'd see 2 CBS games at 1 and 4PM, 1 Fox game at 4PM, and the NBC night game on Sundays.

Meanwhile on Saturday with basic cable I could jump around 7-8 games from Noon to 3:30, another batch of 7 until 7-8PM, 4-5 primetime ones, and a couple late night Pac-12 games and maybe Hawaii if I felt like it.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 11, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I just don't care about NFL football any more. That's why I don't watch.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Another attempt to remake Sportscenter at a certain time of day

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/785933019152543746

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

I'll say it again: primetime NFL football has been godawful this year.

Also, I think technically a Millennial is anyone who graduated high school from 2000 to 2009. I missed the cutoff by a year (1999). But yes, old people tend to see Millennials as anyone younger than 40.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Vertical Lime posted:

Another attempt to remake Sportscenter at a certain time of day

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/785933019152543746

This set is pleasant to look at.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Also, I think technically a Millennial is anyone who graduated high school from 2000 to 2009. I missed the cutoff by a year (1999). But yes, old people tend to see Millennials as anyone younger than 40.

It's people born between the early 80s (I've seen 80-82) and 2000. Because people born during the Reagan administration obviously have similar experiences to those who are just learning to drive :shepface:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Crazy Ted posted:

I graduated high school in 2011

Am I a post-millennial

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
When did the Millennial tag eat Generation Y? I still consider myself Gen Y, because that's what I was raised as being referred to.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

CaptainYesterday posted:

When did the Millennial tag eat Generation Y? I still consider myself Gen Y, because that's what I was raised as being referred to.

'Round 2010, or when Twitter really blew up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

CaptainYesterday posted:

Russell Westbrook is part of Generation Y-Not? so I feel that his birthday of 11/12/1988 should serve as some kind of dividing line.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am a cool and hip millennial who should be pandered to

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Smooth, TBS.
http://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/cleveland-isnt-too-happy-with-tbs-misguided-attempts-at-humor.html

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo pedro :stare:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's people born between the early 80s (I've seen 80-82) and 2000. Because people born during the Reagan administration obviously have similar experiences to those who are just learning to drive :shepface:

Yeah, just like those literal infants in 2001 had the same experiences as my friends that fought in Afghanistan that same year. :v:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Complaining about generation definitions is a little silly. You're a Baby Boomer if you were born between 1946 and 1964, so it's an 18 year time span. Millennials are a 20 year time span, so it's about the same. It will always be a huge generalization because even 10 year differences can be huge.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Awful Announcing posted:

This season has seen lower ratings for the National Football League and as a result, the league’s TV partners are giving away make good commercials to advertisers. As the ratings have fallen as much as 11% across the board with primetime games taking the biggest hit, CBS, ESPN, Fox and NBC have had to provide them with free ads on other programming to make up for the shortfall.

According to Bloomberg, the NFL’s TV partners have missed their ratings guarantees by as much as 20%. In September, ratings for Thursday Night Football on CBS were off 15%, Sunday Night Football on NBC was down 12% and Monday Night Football on ESPN dipped by 16%.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

Yeah, just like those literal infants in 2001 had the same experiences as my friends that fought in Afghanistan that same year. :v:
I watched 9/11 unfold two years after I graduated high school. Why yes I am most definitely part of the same group of people that literally have no memories of that event happening and have to be taught it in school like it's World War I.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

Complaining about generation definitions is a little silly. You're a Baby Boomer if you were born between 1946 and 1964, so it's an 18 year time span. Millennials are a 20 year time span, so it's about the same. It will always be a huge generalization because even 10 year differences can be huge.

But that internet and cell phone thing changed life so dramatically that I can barely relate to people ten years younger than me. We grew up in objectively different worlds, from the minor (I always had a quarter in my shoe in case I had to make a phone call) to the major (everything about the internet). That's never really happened before.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sash! posted:

But that internet and cell phone thing changed life so dramatically that I can barely relate to people ten years younger than me. We grew up in objectively different worlds, from the minor (I always had a quarter in my shoe in case I had to make a phone call) to the major (everything about the internet). That's never really happened before.

You can do that for a ton of stuff from back then too. B&W TVs were still a novelty in 1946, by 1964 color TVs were starting to be everywhere. 1964 had the Civil Rights Act which caused some pretty drastic changes to society. 1946 and 64 is also the difference between likely having to go to Vietnam, and then having essentially no major conflicts to worry about through your prime military years.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

You can do that for a ton of stuff from back then too. B&W TVs were still a novelty in 1946, by 1964 color TVs were starting to be everywhere. 1964 had the Civil Rights Act which caused some pretty drastic changes to society. 1946 and 64 is also the difference between likely having to go to Vietnam, and then having essentially no major conflicts to worry about through your prime military years.

None of this comes even close to having instantaneous access to the entire world in your pocket from basically the time you can read

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Except that's not really true. If you were born in 2000 the smartphone didn't even really exist until like 2006 and smartphone ownership only passed the 50% mark a few years ago, so nearly all millennials did not have that kind of access.

In 1946, 10% of homes had a TV, so all your news came from probably one or two papers, and maybe the movie theater. By 1964, TV ownership was at 94%. That's a pretty dramatic change in how we received information too.

Obviously, access to the internet at all is a humongous change from 1981 to 2000, but these kind of changes are always going to happen. Unless we're going to start breaking up generational categories to every 8 years or something.

In 10 years we can listen to the next generation complain how they didn't get a smartphone until they got to high school instead of at age 8 like kids these days.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A color TV isn't the same as having a vastly different lexicon and day to day life. "Text message," "tweet," "wifi," and "social media" weren't even terms when I was in high school. Now these are basic facets of day to day life. Mail order (not a term any more) was a six to eight week turnaround. High school papers didn't rely on online sources (we used this thing called an "encyclopedia"). No one had to tell us we couldn't use phones during a test. Social interaction was entirely in-person.

I also specifically said ten years for a reason: twenty years is enough time for large society shifts. Someone born in 1946 and someone born in 1956 had basically the same life (too old and too young for Vietnam, even).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm old enough to remember when touch screens were considered literal science fiction, and it wasn't even that long ago (born in 87). Now they're so mundane that everybody has a touch screen in their pockets and babies playing with tablets is considered normal. poo poo changed real fast.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The big society shift between me and my dad is probably the racist jokes and not writing a letter 2.0

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No one has ever been more prepared and excited to whine about people younger than him than Sash.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Sash! posted:

A color TV isn't the same as having a vastly different lexicon and day to day life. "Text message," "tweet," "wifi," and "social media" weren't even terms when I was in high school. Now these are basic facets of day to day life. Mail order (not a term any more) was a six to eight week turnaround. High school papers didn't rely on online sources (we used this thing called an "encyclopedia"). No one had to tell us we couldn't use phones during a test. Social interaction was entirely in-person.

I also specifically said ten years for a reason: twenty years is enough time for large society shifts. Someone born in 1946 and someone born in 1956 had basically the same life (too old and too young for Vietnam, even).

I know you're old but you're older than birds chirping? Man

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Sash! posted:

I'd knock the textbooks out of your hands if you came at me talking about "encyclopedias" like that. Embrace tech.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

No one has ever been more prepared and excited to whine about people younger than him than Sash.

I know, what the hell was I thinking?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Is an encyclopedia like wikipedia but for bikes? Seems really niche I don't get the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN is holding a viewer contest where 2 winners will debate SAS and Kellerman on First Take

This sounds like a gloriously bad idea