Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

That sand worm was lifted directly from dune. Directly from a film.

http://www.gifwave.com/nIL/anime-misc-dune-gif

Well, to be fair to Chris, the sandworms in Dune actually looked much more like worms than the sandworms from the Star Citizen demo did. So I wouldn't say they lifted it directly...

e: Kai Hulud

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Spicedogge

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

DogonCrook posted:

Everyone jumped on the hype train with NMS but that was from a developer with zero rep and empty promises. But you all attack Chris Roberts like he is some kind of 18th century snake oil salesman. I can’t think of a more consistently successful game developer in the history of game development. And I say that with all due respect to Carmack and Newell but neither of them have been as consistent as Roberts. Roberts defined the space flight game, just like Carmack and Newell defined FPS.

I backed the game on kick-starter and the game will be ready when it is ready. but Chris Roberts has a great reputation for finishing what he starts.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. He has gotten functionally kicked off of at least one project because he bankrupted it and had to sell all the in progress assets because it was over budget, very late and no where close to done.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
This is pretty cool. More bait to string along the idiots backing it?

https://i.imgur.com/AdQMFcd.gifv

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

We get it, you know how to make gifs.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Holyshoot posted:

Well, considering the hallmark of SC is supposed to be realism (with a certain level of Rule of Cool) the question is how would you "warp" from within a planetary gravity well?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ripptide posted:

Well, considering the hallmark of SC is supposed to be realism (with a certain level of Rule of Cool) the question is how would you "warp" from within a planetary gravity well?
Shut up, that's how.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The way the ship moves just looks terrible.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I know the comparison to Elite is done to death, but yeah... the way those ships move just looks like poo poo. There's no weight to the drat thing. You're just a floating head with some bits in front of you, and you can move along an extra axis.

Elite has its issues, but their flight model is fantastic; Star Citizen's looks like some old Q2 total conversion mod that one guy sorta almost kinda worked on for a week.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

Holyshoot posted:

CIG seems to be trying to stop the bleeding on Reddit over the last few days

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ripptide posted:

Well, considering the other hallmark of SC I would guess you do it by acquiring a $200 warp engine.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Thirsty Dog posted:

We get it, you know how to make gifs.
No, I'm providing material for those who know how to make gifs

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
considering the hallmark of SC is to just gently caress it and plunder off other games and films they'll just do whatever elite does

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

considering the hallmark of SC is to just gently caress it and plunder off other games and films they'll just do whatever elite does

Hey CIG, if you're reading this, I've got this awesome feature that's been done in pretty much every game before and you should probably rip it off just like all your other ideas!

Releasing a game at some point

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just noticed, they have at least 2 planets now created.
But only 1 gender.

Now which would be the harder to do?

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

a "friend"

With friends like that...

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Imagine if you had nearly 40,000 dollars invested in star citizen and you sent the devs gifts every week AND you ping them in all your inane tweets and then you saw that presentation on Sunday.

I bet you wouldn't get any hanky-panky

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ripptide posted:

Very carefully.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

Why is there a reflection of the landscape on the cockpit glass *during the warp through space*?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Oleyo posted:

I bet you wouldn't get any hanky-panky

TFW when your body pillow has a headache.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Bottom left.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

orcinus posted:

Why is there a reflection of the landscape on the cockpit glass *during the warp through space*?
Shut up, that's why.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Note also that the first planet just disappears before the warp.
And the reflection visible from that point on is from the second planet.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Propagandist posted:

From <<USEd>> car salesman to Sandiworms

From gags to pitches

The beggar and the chooser

The story of how one man was consistently poo poo forever

e: :argh:

Quoting this cause it should be.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

orcinus posted:

Bottom left.

To be fair that looks like the reflection of the displays in the cockpit onto the glass, rather than the landscape.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Shut up, that's why.

you seem to know a lot about game development

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Our WarLord and Savior, the great Leader of Goons, the cackler in the stream, He Who Was Right seems to be kinda quiet today.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
God that old man is boring lately.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ashley66444/status/785891871113424896

:gary:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

SelenicMartian posted:

Whoever set up the stage lights is my hero because the top-down light makes Sandi look like she's got a gap in her front teeth.

Is that a... an actual tattoo on her arm??? O_o

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

AlternateAccount posted:

Is that a... an actual tattoo on her arm??? O_o

nah, she does this a lot, really don't understand that women.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Is there a bulletpoint list somewhere of why Star Citizen is bad? I have some guildies who are shitizens and might actually convince other people to blow money on this dumpster fire so I'm trying to find a list somewhere that just has the facts as to why this is poo poo. Any leads?

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Goobs posted:

Is there a bulletpoint list somewhere of why Star Citizen is bad? I have some guildies who are shitizens and might actually convince other people to blow money on this dumpster fire so I'm trying to find a list somewhere that just has the facts as to why this is poo poo. Any leads?

1. Does not exist.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'm excited for Star Citizen because I really want to know what happens when you clip through the ground of a planet.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Goobs posted:

Yest another trick question, how can something that doesn't exist be bad?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

trucutru posted:

Yest another trick question, how can something that doesn't exist be bad?

Yes but according to them there IS gameplay, you know, the one space station and janky combat?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

ripptide posted:

My first real question is "How do you make someone stand and fight if you can warp from anywhere to everywhere in a blink?"

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Goobs posted:

That would take too much effort. Instead you could give them a list of things that are good about Star Citizen.
You can use my list if you'd like:

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015
https://i.imgur.com/AdQMFcd.mp4

I'm only superficially familiar with procedural terrain generation (have implemented fractal, noise etc.) and whatever CIG is using here is obviously superior to those simpler methods. Does anybody know what kind of algorithms they are using and how it is possible that they are so blazingly fast? Assuming that terrain generation and asset loading starts the moment he engages his warp drive it's 4-5 seconds max. Is it possible that those are actually just maps and everything in that demo is already loaded into memory? Their demo machines had 64GB of RAM according to GamersNexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

thatguy posted:

That would take too much effort. Instead you could give them a list of things that are good about Star Citizen.
You can use my list if you'd like:

lmao, dead.

• Locked thread