Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Paperhouse posted:

That's weird.

who is your avatar

Zwabu posted:

Nannies, sales reps, person to greet and show around/entertain your corporate guests, sex worker, you name it. There are plenty of jobs where it only works, or works much better, if the robot is perceived as being human.

oh totally, but if their endgoal was to make cashiers, tour guides, and fuckbots, they're already there by a country mile; they could be marketing them already. that's why I think whatever ulterior motive the Dutch boss-lady was hinting at must be something grander/more sinister, but probably not as pedestrian as coal miners/soldiers

Professor Shark posted:

Just caught up with the thread, I really enjoyed that episode, but I'm a little bit queasy at the idea that the park has a fly problem because Maintenance isn't cleaning out the sex-robots enough :barf:

they're all sex-robots, Professor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

indigi posted:

e: Paperhouse who is your avatar

That's Charli XCX I think.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

SwissCM posted:

Then save your scorn for the writers and designers, too. Fallout New Vegas let's you be an sociopathic rear end in a top hat and the story keeps up right along with you. The game is designed for it, someone wrote the fiction to support the actions you take, does that make the writers culpable? Are games that take these actions into account written by sociopaths?

Choosing to take a potential action is not the same as anticipating all possible actions. By that token, anyone writing a convincing racist or other bad guy is also bad themselves.

I've played New Vegas countless times, and never devolved into sociopathy.

My uncle, who had a stroke and subsequently had to have all the guns in his house removed, plays games like a gleeful sociopath, like some other people who I assume haven't had strokes. He just has no filter anymore, he wasn't always like this.

JossiRossi posted:

All that said...

I have a hard time killing mice that are caught in my kitchen because their eyes are too big and cute, no way I, and I hope most normal people, could just blast away something looking and acting human.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Propaganda Machine posted:

The (well? tower?) thing is so cool. So the new storyline is having the hosts build a new town? I admit I haven't read the entire thread, at least not closely, but that's my theory and it provides an excellent vehicle for exploring whatever creativity the hosts may have. They might be programmed either with knowledge of how to plan and build structures, in which case we'd get to see whether or not they branch out from the absolute basics they possess, or they might be programmed with specific building plans and designs, in which case I fully expect that we'd see them deviate from the intended plan.

It's a steeple.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I mean, good for you, and here's my anecdotal experience: one of the first things i do in any GTA game is to jack a car and run over the occupant. I then see if I can get 5 stars and how long I can last against the cops. I probably kill 100+ NPCs in my first hour of playing. Does that make me a sociopath?

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
I'm enjoying this show, its very well done but I have one gripe. It feels like Michael Crichton's lovely writing has risen from the grave in some scenes and characters. The 'powerful' woman in charge who is also a bitch because she is powerful but appears to not actually wield power in the story is typical Crichton.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

indigi posted:

e: Paperhouse who is your avatar

indigi posted:

who is your avatar

Holy moly dude....creepy.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

indigi posted:

oh totally, but if their endgoal was to make cashiers, tour guides, and fuckbots, they're already there by a country mile; they could be marketing them already. that's why I think whatever ulterior motive the Dutch boss-lady was hinting at must be something grander/more sinister, but probably not as pedestrian as coal miners/soldiers
Off world colonists? They don't age, can go into hibernation, can repair catastrophic injury and are maybe even resistant to hard radiation. But they can still complete complex tasks and exercise sufficient autonomy to adapt to new circumstances. When the real people arrive, they've got a ready made group of slaves waiting.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Skizzzer posted:

I mean, good for you, and here's my anecdotal experience: one of the first things i do in any GTA game is to jack a car and run over the occupant. I then see if I can get 5 stars and how long I can last against the cops. I probably kill 100+ NPCs in my first hour of playing. Does that make me a sociopath?

There's a difference between video games and killing people in real life, though, which is basically what the hosts look and act like even if they're not fully "human."

Soldiers at war get ptsd. Upon seeing their first dead or mutilated body, people often throw up because it's so repulsive etc. I know I wouldn't be able to gleefully murder something human-looking so to me the people running around Westworld doing that truly are psychopathic in some way or other.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It's funny how some of you say white hat dude is straight, because we've seen nothing about his sexuality apart from him sharing a glance with Dolores. Maybe he's a totally depraved bisexual hedonist outside Westworld, he just can't get it up in the presence of robots.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

VendaGoat posted:

So, instead of say arguing against young black hat, perhaps the outraged should be directed at the people, networks, writers and so and and so forth whom perpetrate said stereotype?

Right now, young black hat has flat out said, and done, that he treats this as a "vacation" from reality.

He's doing it because he enjoys it. Which any of us would.

To use a euphemism, "Don't hate the player, hate the game".

Which, considering the narrative, brings upon a whole world of loving meanings.
#HatLivesMatter

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I liked how Caprica showed us just how depraved the people of the Twelve Colonies had grown, I guess with Westworld we just have to assume that humanity is similar, since they have theme parks where you can rape, pillage, and murder like some sort of Dark Eldar

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I liked how Caprica showed us just how depraved the people of the Twelve Colonies had grown, I guess with Westworld we just have to assume that humanity is similar, since they have theme parks where you can rape, pillage, and murder like some sort of Dark Eldar

Think of the Pawgs in West World.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sith Happens posted:

How can guests even tell the difference between guests and hosts?
Hats. Every single guest is wearing a nearly-white or entirely black hat, with no exceptions that I've been able to spot so far. Even the women guests have hats.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Clocks posted:

There's a difference between video games and killing people in real life, though, which is basically what the hosts look and act like even if they're not fully "human."

Soldiers at war get ptsd. Upon seeing their first dead or mutilated body, people often throw up because it's so repulsive etc. I know I wouldn't be able to gleefully murder something human-looking so to me the people running around Westworld doing that truly are psychopathic in some way or other.

for sure, and i think the difference there is the player's perception of what's real and what's not. In the context of video games now, I would say it's very clear that these games don't have real beings in them. For something like Westworld, that line gets a little/lot blurry.

For players who engage in sexual fantasies, i think it gets more vague. Whatever sexual activities people get up/off to, it's generally okay as long as there's consent. Do the guests have consent? Does consent matter, even if you think the robots are just robots? I would say it does, but only because like you say, these robots look and act so much like humans that it's problematic and disingenuous to act otherwise. Yet I think a lot of people would happily go to WestWorld, if such a place existed. Saying 'they're just robots' kinda takes that moral and ethical responsibility out of your hands.

#hatlivesmatter

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Hats. Every single guest is wearing a nearly-white or entirely black hat, with no exceptions that I've been able to spot so far. Even the women guests have hats.

Your first exception.
The dude who shoots Escaton in the throat. He doesn't wear a hat.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

VendaGoat posted:

Your first exception.
The dude who shoots Escaton in the throat. He doesn't wear a hat.
The dork with the wife? He had a black hat when they're first shown.

edit: oops going back his wife had a black hat, the dude was bareheaded. I wasn't being literal about the hats anyway, because lots of hosts have black hats. ;)

Jack Gladney posted:

Also it's a really old idea. An early critic of Daniel Defoe's wrote an attack on Robinson Crusoe that had Crusoe and Friday beat Defoe to death for stranding them on an island for so long with no way out, and Friday basically complained about being a racist stereotype instead of a full character. The sequel to Don Quixote does something similar but less dire.
It's a tangent, but the sequel to Don Quixote (the sequel written by Cervantes) was an attack on a man who'd ripped off Don Quixote by writing a fake sequel. Cervantes literally writes the guy into the novel and then argues with him over it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 11, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Editing in picture

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 11, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

VendaGoat posted:

Imgur is being lovely so I'll just link this instead

This Guy
Yeah, I thought he had a hat in his first scene (Teddy's second entrance) but he's got no hat then, either.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Late to episode 2 chat, but I was laughing hard at the NPC questgiver analog. That dude really overreacted, me thinks.
If you've ever replayed a game a few times and got sick of the "tutorial" area and quest givers, it's entirely reasonable behavior to my mind. Especially when you think about it a an experienced player trying to hurry his friend along to higher-end content - shooting the newbie questgiver in the head is a fast and simple way to prevent your newbie friend from picking up the quest and then wasting your time.

I have literally had friends do this kind of poo poo when I was trying to jumpstart them in an MMO style game: they find some level 3 quest that rewards them with a level 3 weapon and they poo poo bricks and refuse to do anything else until YOU DO THAT ONE QUEST RIGHT THERE, despite the fact you want to go to a higher level area, powerlevel him a little and then find him some actual decent gear.

If I was paying $40k/day, I'd be pissed if my buddy went off to pan gold in the noob hills and I either had to be drazgged along or abandon him, too.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 11, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Think of the Pawgs in West World.

What is it? I don't see anything! :)

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I know the obvious comparison is MMOs, but I got to thinking about Bethesda games and their creative modding scene. I wonder if guests can pay to customise their experience, out in a secluded area of the outskirts to really cater to their niche, let's get some body horror up in this joint.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Professor Shark posted:

What is it? I don't see anything! :)
phat-rear end white girls?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Pity Party Animal posted:

I'm enjoying this show, its very well done but I have one gripe. It feels like Michael Crichton's lovely writing has risen from the grave in some scenes and characters. The 'powerful' woman in charge who is also a bitch because she is powerful but appears to not actually wield power in the story is typical Crichton.

I don't think she's a bitch, she just doesn't molly coddle dudes who gently caress up and shouts at people who's ineptitude and short-sightedness may lead to a glorious robot murder revolution. I see where you're coming from though, hopefully we get to see her in some different situations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

indigi posted:

Maybe deep cover espionage/stepford wives situations?

Megaspel posted:

I don't think she's a bitch, she just doesn't molly coddle dudes who gently caress up and shouts at people who's ineptitude and short-sightedness may lead to a glorious robot murder revolution. I see where you're coming from though, hopefully we get to see her in some different situations.

Yeah, the only one she really rips into is the rear end in a top hat head of story and we've already seen a lot about how much of a useless prick he is.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 11, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Megaspel posted:

I would imagine that knowing what management wants and having to answer to them is some hairy poo poo too. Probably a lot of pressure there and also they might kill her or worse if they're so nasty and secretive.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Skizzzer posted:

Why do you feel the need do that?

coyo7e posted:

If you've ever replayed a game a few times and got sick of the "tutorial" area and quest givers, it's entirely reasonable behavior to my mind. Especially when you think about it a an experienced player trying to hurry his friend along to higher-end content - shooting the newbie questgiver in the head is a fast and simple way to prevent your newbie friend from picking up the quest and then wasting your time.

I have literally had friends do this kind of poo poo when I was trying to jumpstart them in an MMO style game: they find some level 3 quest that rewards them with a level 3 weapon and they poo poo bricks and refuse to do anything else until YOU DO THAT ONE QUEST RIGHT THERE, despite the fact you want to go to a higher level area, powerlevel him a little and then find him some actual decent gear.

If I was paying $40k/day, I'd be pissed if my buddy went off to pan gold in the noob hills and I either had to be drazgged along or abandon him, too.

You're breaking their immersion, though. And I'm pretty sure that Blackhat Logan went from "ignore" to "stabby" without trying "hey, you can't help everyone, someone will help this guy and we have a more pressing matter to attend to." Even though the pressing matter is pressing bits of himself against bits of a sexbot.

He's a bad friend is what I'm saying.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Let me put it another way. The experience The Park is crafting for William is not the same as it's crafting for Logan, but Logan pulling William along into things he's not ready for/will never want makes for better television.

The host's questions at the beginning, as well as the questionnaire you fill out when you make your reservation, have an impact on what the park presents to you as a choice, so they don't give you more than you can handle. While you can still do whatever you want, it's not like you're not being monitored closely to keep you separated from other guests' storylines. They will still slow you down if it looks like you're doing something that will make other guests not have fun.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

physeter posted:

Off world colonists? They don't age, can go into hibernation, can repair catastrophic injury and are maybe even resistant to hard radiation. But they can still complete complex tasks and exercise sufficient autonomy to adapt to new circumstances. When the real people arrive, they've got a ready made group of slaves waiting.

Blade Runner suggests this would be a bad idea

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

He's a bad friend is what I'm saying.

Is he even a friend? I got the feeling they were just brothers-in-law.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Why do you feel the need do that?

Because it's fun. What's your point, friend?

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is he even a friend? I got the feeling they were just brothers-in-law.

They're coworkers, possibly for another yet-unrevealed Shady Future Company

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Skizzzer posted:

Because it's fun. What's your point, friend?

Why are doing those things fun to you?

tell us how you feel

override367
Apr 29, 2013
I'm not sure where the assumption that the hosts are viewed by more than a small handful of people as intelligent or deserving of rights comes from, before this new update and "violent delights have violent ends" like... they're really clearly *not* intelligent

Eyepatch questgiver and Dolores saying "IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE ANYTHING TO ME" are not intelligent reactions (which means Delores' reaction to being raped was a scripted response because of how much more natural it is), until very recently they really were just more advanced video game NPCs in realistic bodies, in that if you removed all their storyline poo poo and programmed responses and dumped them in a room they'd probably just sit down and do nothing

What's happening right when our story starts is that they are becoming something different

override367 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 11, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

physeter posted:

Maybe that's why they are keeping them in cold storage after being decommissioned: determining how long they can be kept offline and unmaintained while staying useful.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

override367 posted:

I'm not sure where the assumption that the hosts are viewed by more than a small handful of people as intelligent or deserving of rights comes from, before this new update and "violent delights have violent ends" like... they're really clearly *not* intelligent

Eyepatch questgiver and Dolores saying "IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE ANYTHING TO ME" are not intelligent reactions (which means Delores' reaction to being raped was a scripted response because of how much more natural it is), it seems extremely clear to me that until very recently they really were just more advanced video game NPCs in realistic bodies, in that if you removed all their storyline poo poo and programmed responses and dumped them in a room they'd probably just sit down and do nothing

What's happening right when our story starts is that they are becoming something different

Thandie Newton seems to have been going through some poo poo for a while. She woke up in that repair bay because of the strategy for dealing with nightmares that she had developed, which seems unconnected to the update and maybe personal to her. Remember that they're all left on at night to interact with each other so that they can learn more realistic behaviors. I bet there's no clear line between living and conscious and clearly an unfeeling machine.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

tell us how you feel

Why not?

I've played New Vegas countless times, and never devolved into sociopathy.

Why do you feel the need to do this?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
He's implying you're too lazy to dissolve hookers IRL.

So loving lazy

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

tell us how you feel

Folks someone get behavioral on the horn. We got two hosts stuck in a recursion loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

They may also create software revisions in the future that could eliminate "problems" like self-awareness or recalling old memories. Then Abernathy for example could be pulled out of storage and put back to use.

I'll just assume it's because Ford is a crazy hoarder for all his creations.

If they cost so much to build, then the guests wouldn't get to blow them away or murder them without a significant price increase. If they are so cheap, then who cares just build new ones.

but we all know it's so that they can rise up and kill their human overlords.

override367 posted:

Eyepatch questgiver and Dolores saying "IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE ANYTHING TO ME" are not intelligent reactions (which means Delores' reaction to being raped was a scripted response because of how much more natural it is), until very recently they really were just more advanced video game NPCs in realistic bodies, in that if you removed all their storyline poo poo and programmed responses and dumped them in a room they'd probably just sit down and do nothing

Completely agree. They have the possibility to become sentient, and Dolores is probably the closest one, but right now they are just fancy scripts in a human body. It's not like they were AIs to start then neutered down.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 11, 2016

• Locked thread