Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

hughesta posted:

are there any songs we know for sure were recorded for AMSP but not used other than Lift and Ill Wind? we already got one, and I can't imagine they'd just put Lift out by itself. Maybe Cut A Hole?

No, there's nothing else we know about.

Also, we don't know they recorded Lift for AMSP. Jonny mentioned they had worked on it recently, but that might not mean they actually got a version together they recorded.

publishko posted:

My long-shot hope is that they put out another album early next year in a Kid A and Amnesiac sort of deal, seeing as AMSP was so light on b-side material compared to almost every other one of their albums other than Kid A, but that might just be wishful thinking.

Yes, I think this is super unlikely.

Radiohead are touring again next year so if we're lucky they might still be tinkering with things on the side and we'll get another single or two sometime in the next 12 months, as we did after TKOL. But there are no guarantees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Anyone know what's up with the words that are underneath the lyrics?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

Anyone know what's up with the words that are underneath the lyrics?

Probably words culled from earlier drafts of the lyrics. Almost certainly contributed by Thom either way. He might just given Stanley random words from his notebooks to assemble into cool patterns or whatever.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Was it made official that they're touring next summer? I know it's been rumored, just wondered if I missed something.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Was it made official that they're touring next summer? I know it's been rumored, just wondered if I missed something.

I think Thom mentioned it in that big interview/dj set.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Yeah, and Ed confirmed it in a radio interview recently too. I'm 99% sure they were already announced as a headline act at a 2017 festival but I can't find the announcement now.

I've got a funny feeling about Glastonbury 2017.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 5, 2016

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Here's a thing that is good.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti6qhk3tX2s

cool guy thom + jonny only version of the Numbers

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Princeps32 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti6qhk3tX2s

cool guy thom + jonny only version of the Numbers

This song does me right.

If you told me a year ago that we'd have a pastoral RH album accompanied by a suite of PT Anderson music videos I wouldn't have believed you. Maybe they'll drop an acoustic EP or something.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Deluxe Edition is pretty meh. Guess I'm glad I bought it when I was flush with cash.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Amnesiac special edition is still the best one

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Agreed. Though I even like the newspaper album more than this.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Kid A special edition was worse only because the first press regular edition with the hidden booklet was better than the special edition

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Saw Radiohead and they loving played pyramid song tonight. Pretty sure I can die happy now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's their best song by a country mile.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
If the world was a terrible place, in which you had to describe songs by genres, which genres would you use to describe Daydreaming or The Present Tense?

Postrock? Experimental? Genres are stupid because the same title can describe so many things. However I have a bunch of songs I guess I'm supposed to put labels on so people can search for them for easily. This is supposedly how a large conglomerate of people search for music. So it would be helpful for me to know.

What genres are the songs on AMSP?

Wikipedia lists Daydreaming as Ambient. itunes says it's alternative. Google:

Yeah, totally sounds like a Dream Theater or Cheer Accident song to me. Google says the same for The Present Tense btw.

Daydreaming is really #experimental-piano-driven-postrock-with-ambiant-&-shoegaze-influences-and-a-fresh-sound

Decks Dark is the same with Krautrock instead of piano.

AARO fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 11, 2016

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Doesn't look it was mentioned here but there was a piano version of 'Let Down' used in Westworld Episode 2.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I thought it was No Surprises.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

AARO posted:

If the world was a terrible place, in which you had to describe songs by genres, which genres would you use to describe Daydreaming or The Present Tense?

Postrock? Experimental? Genres are stupid because the same title can describe so many things. However I have a bunch of songs I guess I'm supposed to put labels on so people can search for them for easily. This is supposedly how a large conglomerate of people search for music. So it would be helpful for me to know.

What genres are the songs on AMSP?

Wikipedia lists Daydreaming as Ambient. itunes says it's alternative. Google:

Yeah, totally sounds like a Dream Theater or Cheer Accident song to me. Google says the same for The Present Tense btw.

Daydreaming is really #experimental-piano-driven-postrock-with-ambiant-&-shoegaze-influences-and-a-fresh-sound

Decks Dark is the same with Krautrock instead of piano.

If in doubt, "Alt."

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Reinanigans posted:

I thought it was No Surprises.

It's definitely No Surprises.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Genres are best treated as tags, not mutually exclusive categories. A song can easily be "ambient" and "progressive" and "experimental" all at the same time, are you limited to just one? Not sure what system you are using but the more relevant genre tags a song has the more people will easily be able to find it, since different people will categorize the same song differently. Bandcamp's system is quite good for example.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 11, 2016

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I would probably put daydreaming squarely under the "Beach Rock" genre

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

Genres are best treated as tags, not mutually exclusive categories. A song can easily be "ambient" and "progressive" and "experimental" all at the same time, are you limited to just one? Not sure what system you are using but the more relevant genre tags a song has the more people will easily be able to find it, since different people will categorize the same song differently. Bandcamp's system is quite good for example.

It's true I can put a bunch of tags not just one.

What's your bandcamp btw? Is it this? http://seofon.bandcamp.com/

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

AARO posted:

It's true I can put a bunch of tags not just one.

What's your bandcamp btw? Is it this? http://seofon.bandcamp.com/

http://disparition.bandcamp.com/

and yeah imo multiple genre tags is the way to go as long as you don't do that stupid spammy poo poo where you stick every conceivable genre you can think of on a track in hopes of increasing view counts (looking at you every other person on hype machine)

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Popcorn posted:

I've got a funny feeling about Glastonbury 2017.

Radiohead posted:

Friday 23 June 2017 - Glastonbury Festival.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLyQBXmB9zl/

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I really gotta see Radiohead at some point but I don't know if Glastonbury is what I want, sounds awesome though. Heard some rumours about this and I'm glad they were right.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The In Rainbows bonus disc is on iTunes now.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Didn't get tickets this year. Karma for seeing them at the Roundhouse I guess.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gonna sell my collector's edition, just a waste of space on my shelf. Maybe I'll pick up the regular vinyl someday.

Added the bonus tracks into the regular album playlist alphabetically following the theme they provided, which solves the flow of the album (before I was transposing tracks 1 & 5). Also, it's nice to have at least a few beeps and boops in a RH album, which Ill Wind provides and leads well into The Numbers. Present Tense also leads well into Spectre which adds momentum to the latter half, and Spectre leads well into Tinker Tailor...

Good feels all around. It's no Amnesiac but def. a great album with that stuff added back in.

1. Burn The Witch
2. Daydreaming
3. Decks Dark
4. Desert Island Disk
5. Ful Stop
6. Glass Eyes
7. Identikit
8. Ill Wind
9. The Numbers
10. Present Tense
11. Spectre
12. Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man
13. True Love Waits

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

£82 for standing Manchester gigs. :wtf: at that price hike since Roundhouse.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Got tickets for Manchester after failing for both Roundhouse and Glasto.

I mean they're not great seats (standing didn't even seem to be an option?) and they cost a fuckton and it means I have to go to loving Manchester of all places and miss two days of work, but everything's good in the world.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
really feeling AMSP now that we're living in a nightmare hellworld

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mutant Standard posted:

I've had Daydreaming on repeat for awhile now. It feels appropriate. Even angry Thom has given up any and all hope :smith:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
My album of the year has been switching between Avalanches and AMSP for the last four months. I deemed it a battle between optimism and realism.

AMSP definitely wins.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Now that trump is president it's time to listen to some motha fuckin Hail To The Thief baby!

Mutant Standard posted:

No! Hail To The Thief is the definitive radiohead "Bad President" album.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 18, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

Now that trump is president it's time to listen to some motha fuckin Hail To The Thief baby!

No! Hail To The Thief is the definitive radiohead "Bad President" album.

loving truth.

HttT pretty much sums up everything I felt during early Bush years. Now I get a repeat.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

The Daily Mail is kind of the mini-sequel "bad president" song.

I do wonder if Trump and Brexit might get Thom writing angry stuff again. AMSP is so mellow, for the most part.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Popcorn posted:

I do wonder if Trump and Brexit might get Thom writing angry stuff again.

If they made another album as complex and alienating as HttT...I'd poo poo my pants in happiness.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

who the gently caress knows what any given Radiohead song is actually about but Tinker Tailor is striking me as pretty prophetic right now

fascism and nationalism came calling and we said yeah, now it's time for the descent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

http://disparition.bandcamp.com/

and yeah imo multiple genre tags is the way to go as long as you don't do that stupid spammy poo poo where you stick every conceivable genre you can think of on a track in hopes of increasing view counts (looking at you every other person on hype machine)

wait are you the nightvale guy?