Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

dear highway 1 drivers

THE SIGN SAYS 'SLOWER TRAFFIC USE TURNOUTS'

THERE ARE 3 CARS UP YOUR rear end AS YOU TRUNDLE ALONG SLOWING TO 5MPH AT EVERY SINGLE CURVE

USE THE loving TURNOUTS

I'm sure I've annoyed some dude to no end because of this when I was driving across the mountains in North Carolina. The locals would get right up on my rear end, and I would miss a turnoff because there were no signs and they went by way too fast for me to slow down without the guy plowing into me. I'm sorry dude, but if you don't give me the room to slow down for the turn-off I'm not going to be getting out of your way quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Long Francesco posted:

Got to work in record time today using the left lane, only changed to the middle lane to pass actual slow jackasses holding up the left. But please, continue to add things and assume the worst about people in a (non)argument.

To be fair you were the one who started the nonsense hyperbole with your ridiculous diagram that I assume you're too intelligent to actually think represents any real world scenario anyone was describing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

N is for Nipples posted:

The only thing wrong with his diagram is that he forgot the six miles of cars behind him while he literally, not sarcastically, zones out in the left lane. People usually say the kind of folks that do absolute stone-cold dumbfuck poo poo like that don't browse forums where people complain about it, but they do, and they don't think they're doing anything wrong.

And there's the assumption again - how exactly do you know this for certain? Do you follow him to work each day, or get stuck behind him constantly? Is there some news outlet constantly blaring live video of him blocking traffic? I get the whole "don't hog the left lane" mentality but goddamn some people are really reaching and being stupidly pedantic about this whole thing, and I'm willing to bet anyone bitching has driven just as poorly, if not worse, because that's what clueless hypocrites like to do.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

nm posted:

Also, it goes double for you fuckers on motorcycles. It is mostly fat accountants on harleys, but sport bikes and tourers do the same loving thing. Woooo, you can go fast in a straight line, but apparently you can't corner for poo poo and this road is all loving corners.
(Also if a cheap microcar on stock all-season can catch you, perhaps your should reconsider why you have a liter bike).

Um, he has a LEADER BIKE. He was leading, you were following in your little car.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm in the left lane and it's clear, I'm doing triple digits, and here there's nobody trying to keep up let alone pass that.

I still watch my mirrors.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I know looking in your mirrors is hard, but if you're in the left lane and someone is behind you, you're actively loving up. To stop loving up, simply move right.

(directions may be reversed if your country drives on the wrong side)

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 10, 2016

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

N is for Nipples posted:

I know looking in your mirrors is hard, but if you're in the left lane and someone is behind you, you're actively loving up. To stop loving up, simply move right.

No one in here has said they don't watch their mirrors. I know its the goon way to assume the worst and everyone else is wrong, but come on.

davebo posted:

To be fair you were the one who started the nonsense hyperbole with your ridiculous diagram that I assume you're too intelligent to actually think represents any real world scenario anyone was describing.

that ridiculous diagram is pretty close to my drive sunday morning, empty left lane except the occasional car every mile or so, light to moderate traffic in the other lanes.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

nm posted:

This poo poo drives me nuts to no end. Oooh, its a loving ocean -- you want to sightsee? Pull the gently caress over and get a nice look, I got places to be (aka home before night when the deer come out).

Once I had a bright orange charger rt rental car and everyone got the gently caress out of the way. Tiny mazda and subaru wagon, not so much.

Even flashing the lights (and a little blip of the horn when they drove past the third turnout in a row) did nothing. Maybe because I wasn't completely up their rear end they didn't realize that they were slowing us all up?

Also it was foggy on the water so they didn't even have the fecking view as an excuse.

(what's the universal "thanks" signal with your lights when someone does let you by/lets you merge? I've taken to flicking the hazards 2-3 times since it seems closest to the "rear light flash" rigs do at each other. During the day it's easy - just wave - but at night, ???)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 21, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

N is for Nipples posted:

Or you're going faster than people in the inside lane, thus using the outer lane for its intended purpose, and someone wanting to go faster will just have to wait.

If you have three lanes, there's a stream of traffic going 55 in the inside lane, a stream of traffic doing 65 in the middle lane, and you're in the outer lane doing 75, you're not loving up, you're overtaking. Should someone come up behind you at 85, if possible it would be best to pull into the middle lane for them to pass, but you're not under obligation to pull in with the slower traffic just because they want to go faster. To the other two lanes, you are faster traffic, and are using the lanes correctly.

The problem comes when there is a suitable gap in the next innermost lane for someone to pull into, allow faster traffic past, and get back out to overtake the next vehicle without affecting their own progress, and they don't take it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Should someone come up behind you at 85, if possible it would be best to pull into the middle lane for them to pass, but you're not under obligation to pull in with the slower traffic just because they want to go faster.

Yes you are.

The faster vehicle has nowhere else to go.. their options are to either pass on the shoulder, pass on the right, or jam their car up your stupid rear end fuming at you. Move the gently caress over for a few seconds and let them continue on their way.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

InitialDave posted:

you're not under obligation to pull in with the slower traffic just because they want to go faster.

ooooooh those are fighting words

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

you're not under obligation to pull in with the slower traffic just because they want to go faster.

I hope you skin every knuckle the next time you turn a bolt.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Yes you are.

The faster vehicle has nowhere else to go.. their options are to either pass on the shoulder, pass on the right, or jam their car up your stupid rear end fuming at you. Move the gently caress over for a few seconds and let them continue on their way.

What if you're in the middle of passing a string of slower moving traffic already? Should you cut someone in the middle/right lane off so as to not inconvenience the person behind you with slowing down for less than a minute while you finish passing?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If possible you pull over and let them past. If it's busy enough that doing so isn't a realistic proposition, well, that's just life.

Someone is going to end up having to travel slower than they wish to, either you slowing down to fit in with the middle lane so they can go past, or them slowing down to overtake the middle lane at the same speed you are. It is simply a question of whether their desire to make progress trumps yours.

The entire issue is likely a theoretical proposition though, I've yet to encounter a situation where lanes 1 and 2 were too busy to allow you to pull back in to allow faster traffic past, while having lane 3 empty enough ahead that you pulling over gives them somewhere to go. It's generally more likely that all they'll do is gain a couple of car lengths and be stuck behind whoever was in front of you instead.

This attitude that whoever wishes to go fastest has priority in the outside lane, above drivers who are already traveling faster than the traffic in the middle lane, is just piss poor roadcraft, in the same way someone sitting in the outside lane when they could pull in is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

What if you're in the middle of passing a string of slower moving traffic already? Should you cut someone in the middle/right lane off so as to not inconvenience the person behind you with slowing down for less than a minute while you finish passing?

Put your foot down and clear the slower traffic. It's not like we're all sitting at redline on the highway, cars today are hilariously overpowered for what we actually need. Use some of that extra juice.

Everyone hates it when semis get stuck in an elephant race, don't do it yourself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InitialDave posted:

If possible you pull over and let them past. If it's busy enough that doing so isn't a realistic proposition, well, that's just life.

If there's too much traffic for open road rules to be effective, then yes, you gotta adjust your behavior. Traffic isn't compressible so if it's a city or a rush hour all bets are off because everyone is stuck going slow and everyone hates it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Put your foot down and clear the slower traffic. It's not like we're all sitting at redline on the highway, cars today are hilariously overpowered for what we actually need. Use some of that extra juice.

Everyone hates it when semis get stuck in an elephant race, don't do it yourself.

I already drive at 10 MPH over the posted limit on the freeway, which (in my area) makes me faster than about 90% of other traffic on the road. gently caress you, I'm not risking a ticket (law enforcement here won't really touch you until you're >10 MPH over the limit) just because you're a special snowflake and can't be bothered with slowing down for a handful of seconds.

Passing other traffic at 5-10 MPH faster than they're going =! one truck passing another at a 2 MPH difference.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was driving on 68 out of West Virginia this weekend and it was pretty nice to have everyone camped out in the middle and left lane. I just got in the slow lane (when it wasn't designated truck only) and maintained my speed passing everyone with no issues. It was like my own personal lane.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

If there's too much traffic for open road rules to be effective, then yes, you gotta adjust your behavior. Traffic isn't compressible so if it's a city or a rush hour all bets are off because everyone is stuck going slow and everyone hates it.
That's exactly my point.

Remember, the original post I was disagreeing with said:

N is for Nipples posted:

And that is a gross oversimplification of the rather organic nature of road driving.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

xzzy posted:

I got a ticket for doing this, and the guy riding my rear end got to skate on by. From then on, I decided that the guy trying to do 20 mph faster than the flow of traffic can wait a few seconds for me to find a proper gap.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

xzzy posted:

Yes you are.

Or the final option: back off, make room, don't drive like an aggressive rear end in a top hat and have a little patience. If you're in that much of a loving hurry, maybe put some time into learning how to work an alarm clock so you can get to/from work without having to do 40 over the limit?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Or the final option: back off, make room, don't drive like an aggressive rear end in a top hat and have a little patience. If you're in that much of a loving hurry, maybe put some time into learning how to work an alarm clock so you can get to/from work without having to do 40 over the limit?

Thereby making the 'six miles of cars' hyperbole you took issue with so beautifully accurate. It riles people up because there's no good reason to be going so slow, other than someone's passive-aggressive policing of traffic. People like this don't seem to drive very far, because interstates that aren't in major cities have clear, open left lane for miles.

Whatever, lanes are for chumps. As a wise man once said, "so long suckers! i rev up my motorcylce and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates im lying completely dead on the pavement"

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 10, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Anybody driving slower than me is an idiot, and anyone going faster than me is a maniac.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I use the power of the divine to split traffix in front of me like the red sea. Assholes tailgate me, but I think they're just riding my coattails to make use of my awesome powers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Oh I didn't know we had a cop in here, because no one else has any authority to dictate how fast people drive.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Oh I didn't know we had a cop in here, because no one else has any authority to dictate how fast people drive.

What about the person in a big hurry who has no option but to "jam their car up your stupid rear end"? Apparently that guy has the authority to dictate how fast everyone else drives :jerkbag:

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
If someone is behind you and no one is in front then move over, if someone is in front then gently caress em.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

Geoj posted:

What about the person in a big hurry who has no option but to "jam their car up your stupid rear end"? Apparently that guy has the authority to dictate how fast everyone else drives :jerkbag:
Yeah. Neither the person in front, nor the person behind.

Trying to bully people out the way because they are driving correctly, just slower than you, is as knobbish as brake checking people behind you, and even less effective. Sometimes traffic is such that there will be someone in front, making a perfectly legitimate overtake of other traffic, and they're not going as fast as you would in that situation. Tough. Proper observation will allow you to make a halfway decent assessment of if the car in front is going to have a good opportunity to pull in, and adjust your approach speed to account for that. The idea is to back off just enough that you'll be in position for a safe overtake just as they do so, getting you past them cleanly before the next vehicle they'll need to overtake would see them pulling back out. Your aim is to integrate with other traffic such that no-one has to brake, or accelerate harshly. If it's clear that a suitable gap for them to do this is not in the offing, back off and watch for one.

There are plenty of morons who do think it's their job to enforce the speed limit in the outer lane, or who have no idea how to use multiple lanes, or who are just dozy fucks. However, that's not what we're talking about (though trying to bully them out the way probably won't do any good either).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

xzzy posted:

You sure as hell don't, and when I'm on the interstate already doing 10 over and some cuntwagon like you rides up my rear end, my first reaction won't be "get out of the way", it'll be "how much can I annoy this retard and make him later than he already is?" Then I'll move out of the way at my own pace because my schedule isn't dictated by some stupid fuckwit who can't get his poo poo together and thinks he can push other people around. Has absolutely nothing to do with "policing" at that point, it's all pure enjoyment at watching someone like you rage out, because there's 2 things you can do - jack and poo poo :v:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I drive in every lane at the same time

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

You sure as hell don't, and when I'm on the interstate already doing 10 over and some cuntwagon like you rides up my rear end, my first reaction won't be "get out of the way", it'll be "how much can I annoy this retard and make him later than he already is?" Then I'll move out of the way at my own pace because my schedule isn't dictated by some stupid fuckwit who can't get his poo poo together and thinks he can push other people around. Has absolutely nothing to do with "policing" at that point, it's all pure enjoyment at watching someone like you rage out, because there's 2 things you can do - jack and poo poo :v:

That's fine, look up my opinions on flipping people off in my post history if you care. Pissing people off is not the issue.

The issue is that anyone holding up traffic in the passing lane is an idiot using the road wrong. :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I drive in every lane at the same time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEFPuXV4pl4&t=13s

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Long Francesco posted:

Driving to work this morning, 7:30 am, hardly any traffic to speak of. This old guy with his wife ahead of me already going 10 under the limit gets on the onramp im heading to, the loving guy hits his brakes and crawls up the ramp at 10mph, puts his blinker on, and then completely stops at the top. after a few seconds I give him a little toot and he flips his head around all over like the sky is falling, slooowly accelerates to 30 and immediately cuts all the way across to the left lane where he cuts off a semi who has to lock up his wheels to not splatter this idiot.

There's a road near me that gets this crap way too much. Regular highways in Japan start with a ticket/toll booth, but there are some public highways without fines and therefore no booths so you occasionally get people who never use highways suddenly finding themselves on one of these roads and not knowing what to do so they just stop on the on ramp waiting for a chance to pull out.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BOOTY-ADE posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > These are the people you share a road with

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lol if you don't pull into their lane right before they pass to really teach 'em a lesson for going too fast

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Going back to turn signals.

Saw a pretty new BMW 7-series the other day. You can figure out the rest.

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010
Turned window wipers on then turned/changed lanes etc?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I usually err on the side of caution and move out of the way. No use wasting my time trying to antagonize someone for driving like a piece of poo poo, only for said piece of poo poo to get all road-ragey and follow me off the highway or catch me at a stoplight to have it out or worse.

I already had one run-in where someone thought I was being a dick (I wasn't) and tried to have it out, only to get scared when he thought I was reaching for a gun. I'd rather not go through that again.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Had some self-righteous prick tailgate me the other day as I'm already going 10 over, then he got over to block me from merging out of the turn-only lane.

Ran a light that just turned red just to not be in front of him.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Hurricane Matthew knocked out a few traffic lights in my neighborhood. The law around here is to treat them like stop signs, and boy, not many people know that.