Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Given the subject matter of the show and a pastime probably most of us on this site share (video games) these are pretty valid, if uncomfortable, topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think the Gunslinger can solve the maze once he makes the cat-hair mustache.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Blow posted:

Plus, I got to see Thandie Newton naked. Really what more could you ask for?

Pretty sure that was a body double, an artificial version of Thandi Newton naked

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

Folks someone get behavioral on the horn. We got two hosts stuck in a recursion loop.

Up sociopathy by 10%. He cares too much.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tortuga posted:

Pretty sure that was a body double, an artificial version of Thandi Newton naked

Most stars don't actually do the nude scenes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tortuga posted:

Well if you can't tell... what's the difference?

indigi posted:

I'm sure (I hope) this will come up. We haven't been introduced to too many guests in close detail, but there are already hints that some of the stuff is just too real. think about the couple who are traveling on horseback with that posse when the leader conks out and has a cyberstroke - they look sorta freaked out and uneasy and get outta there ASAP. I think part of William's ambivalent attitude is influenced by the verisimilitude of the hosts as well.

William's coworker is a great counterpoint to this -- the way he doesn't seem to care about the scripted content whatsoever and anything that isn't there strictly to be killed or hosed is just utterly scorned. There's just as many black hat quests as white hat and apparently that stuff gets pretty hosed up if you want it ("savage" raids, cannibal cults, etc.) but he isn't looking for an authentic experience, even an authentically sadistic one. Someone like that isn't indulging their inner sociopath, they're unleashing it.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Ed Brubaker is a producer for this show and I've enjoyed a lot of his comics in the past. Glad he's onboard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope that soon we get introduced to a character who roleplays constantly and cares very much about the quest content, because right now, as mentioned earlier, it's hard to shake the impression that literally everyone just uses the place as Rape Central and couldn't care less about the Wild West backdrop or whatever.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I'm kind of confused by the backstage elements they've shown us bits and pieces of. Are robots repaired or just destroyed if they're too damaged, we kinda saw both in episode 2. If they're destroyed, then when they talk about Dolores being the oldest one still in operation, are they only talking about her program because surely she's been damaged enough to be destroyed a thousand times over. Is the park shut down at night like we saw in episode 1 after the giant gunfight or does it keep going with the guests still inside sleeping, loving and killing? Am I thinking entirely too much about this show? Yes.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

precision posted:

I hope that soon we get introduced to a character who roleplays constantly and cares very much about the quest content, because right now, as mentioned earlier, it's hard to shake the impression that literally everyone just uses the place as Rape Central and couldn't care less about the Wild West backdrop or whatever.

Isn't that the Black Hat? I really hope that's he just some super rich dude who they designed a dumbass quest for that ends with him being shot by Dolores. The Dolores part is of course not part of the plan. He is super invested in the world and from the way he talks about it did a ton of quests.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm just waiting for a player piano cover of More Human Than Human this season.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Merrill Grinch posted:

I'm kind of confused by the backstage elements they've shown us bits and pieces of. Are robots repaired or just destroyed if they're too damaged, we kinda saw both in episode 2. If they're destroyed, then when they talk about Dolores being the oldest one still in operation, are they only talking about her program because surely she's been damaged enough to be destroyed a thousand times over. Is the park shut down at night like we saw in episode 1 after the giant gunfight or does it keep going with the guests still inside sleeping, loving and killing? Am I thinking entirely too much about this show? Yes.

Those were cleaning rooms for the robots

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It's you. You are the host in BasementWorld.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want to see them explore the sense of self among the hosts. Can you fully copy the programming of one host into another? Are all hosts unique models? Or is there an alternate version of each running around the theoretical other parks?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I wonder if Delos allows modding.

Probably not; console scrubs.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

JackDarko posted:

Isn't that the Black Hat? I really hope that's he just some super rich dude who they designed a dumbass quest for that ends with him being shot by Dolores. The Dolores part is of course not part of the plan. He is super invested in the world and from the way he talks about it did a ton of quests.

I'm putting even odds on Dolores killing Jimmi Simpson's sociopathic high-strung friend before the end of this.

I just hope she doesn't do anything too rash too soon because I'm liking Evan Rachel Wood's performance and don't want to see Dolores recalled or reprogrammed right away.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Those were cleaning rooms for the robots

The Hosts are definitely an interesting cross between robot and flesh. Like they can get MRSA infections, but at the same time they don't seem affected by them. So, meat enough to catch disease, but robot enough that they can survive wounds that would kill a person. And then of course they can just get patched up, or an arm replaced, as needed. Bunch of gunshots? Just wash them off, put on a skin patch, maybe some kind of healing goo or something into the hole, and good to go for another day.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

JossiRossi posted:

The Hosts are definitely an interesting cross between robot and flesh. Like they can get MRSA infections, but at the same time they don't seem affected by them. So, meat enough to catch disease, but robot enough that they can survive wounds that would kill a person. And then of course they can just get patched up, or an arm replaced, as needed. Bunch of gunshots? Just wash them off, put on a skin patch, maybe some kind of healing goo or something into the hole, and good to go for another day.

Huh, I assumed the MRSA was causing Maeve to get sick and have those flashbacks, and that's why they were cutting her open--to see what was causing it. But now that you mention it, it would be rather odd to code in bacterial infection. But then why were they operating on her?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I wasn't sure if they made that incision, or the Man in Black cut her open.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Completely agree. They have the possibility to become sentient, and Dolores is probably the closest one, but right now they are just fancy scripts in a human body. It's not like they were AIs to start then neutered down.

They may already be sentient - Thandie Newton's character woke up being repaired and flipped out. Not only did she wake up experiencing something completely beyond the bounds of Westworld, but she reacted in a fundamentally human way - she grabbed a weapon and took off. She's clearly got some level of self awareness, but she seems to lack a fundamental understanding of who, what, and why she is.

The question here is whether the hosts have the ability to learn, or if their behavior is still purely deterministic and has simply evolved into a highly complex, nuanced schema that defaults to certain behaviors when enough unknown variables are introduced. The reveries are obviously going to play a part in this - how those behaviors evolve, the decision trees themselves, etc., will be important. But thus far, we've seen 2 hosts clearly go beyond their intended behavioral bounds: Dolores when she killed the fly, and Thandie when she ran away from surgery.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

404notfound posted:

Huh, I assumed the MRSA was causing Maeve to get sick and have those flashbacks, and that's why they were cutting her open--to see what was causing it. But now that you mention it, it would be rather odd to code in bacterial infection. But then why were they operating on her?

Pretty sure that she was having flashbacks because Dolores "awakened" her by saying the Violent Delights phrase, just as Dolores was "awakened" by her father with the same phrase.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

404notfound posted:

They were operating on here because she was in for her routine maintenance and they were told to look for what was causing her discomfort.

When she was being adjusted by the programmer that upped her empathy by like 2% or whatever (in order for her to do her job as a madame better), the programmer noted that Maeve was in some physical discomfort and said it should be looked into at her next servicing. So then when she was in for the servicing, they checked it out and found that she had MRSA. The techs attributed it to one of the previous techs not being sanitary in her prior maintenance.

It didn't have anything to do with the flashbacks, which are specifically implied to have come from Dolores.

I thought this was all fairly well explained in the episode.

MrMojok posted:

I wasn't sure if they made that incision, or the Man in Black cut her open.

What in the world? She was remembering the MiB from one of her previous roles in the past.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 12, 2016

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mikeraskol posted:

They were operating on here because she was in for her routine maintenance and they were told to look for what was causing her discomfort.

When she was being adjusted by the programmer that upped her empathy by like 2% or whatever (in order for her to do her job as a madame better), the programmer noted that Maeve was in some physical discomfort and said it should be looked into at her next servicing. So then when she was in for the servicing, they checked it out and found that she had MRSA. The techs attributed it to one of the previous techs not being sanitary in her prior maintenance.

It didn't have anything to do with the flashbacks, which are specifically implied to have come from Dolores.

I thought this was all fairly well explained in the episode.

Did they ever explain the nature of her discomfort?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

El Jeffe posted:

Pretty sure that she was having flashbacks because Dolores "awakened" her by saying the Violent Delights phrase, just as Dolores was "awakened" by her father with the same phrase.

Ya this is very interesting, especially because we've already been shown that people behind the scenes have differing opinions on the hosts and their purpose as well as the programming that goes into them.

Wondering too why Thandie saw an indian looking in the windows and then the man in black coming through the door. Did he kill the indian or was working with him? Or is she working symbolism into her dreams/reveries?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If the trailers are any indication, she was originally in a narrative of a woman and her daughter attacked by native Americans (trailer shows her being scalped) and the memory was the man in black interrupting it to approach her and the kid

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
She would've experienced the attack many times. So MiB interrupting it once would cause the memory to be jumbled.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I'd be really interested to hear what Ropekid thinks of this series.

I've played through Fallout: New Vegas dozens of times, using every kind of skill/perk, moral alignment, faction affiliation, etc. just to explore the open world and the quest branches/NPC reactions to the fullest extent. Black Hat's Easter Egg hunting rings very true.

This show is a fascinating live-action exploration of a similar game. It's John Ford larping. Do I want my narrative to be a Sam Peckinpah film? Jim Jarmusch? Unforgiven or Blazing Saddles?

Teddy is totally a potential companion character like Boone. In New Vegas, Boone might be my sniper buddy if I play NCR, my bodyguard if I roleplay a non-combat fatcat trying to take over the Strip, or my enemy if I work for Caesar.

In the pilot episode, the Delos staff mention hundreds of NPCs with interwoven storylines. It's really an RPG fan's dream come true.

I bet the deranged NPC hosts in cold storage could come in handy for The Halloween Zombie Apocalypse Event. They could bury the bodies in shallow graves, turn off all emotion and thought, then just make them shamble toward the guests and bite other hosts.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh god, ZombieApocalypseSurvivalistJackoffWorld alone could fund the company indefinitely.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Shooting Blanks posted:

Did they ever explain the nature of her discomfort?

Nope, I'm pretty sure it was all just to emphasize that the workers completely devalue the physical comfort of the hosts. It's kind of strange, because on the one hand they talk about them like pets, but at the same time no one gave a gently caress that she was, not only in a huge amount of pain, but was blowing and banging dudes with a MRSA infection.

I'm sure having an abdomen full of toxic waste and bacteria didn't help her mood or ability to sympathize with guests. She probably didn't need any program fixes on the backend, just some anti-biotics.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Skizzzer posted:

Why not?

Why do you feel the need to do this?

Because I'm not a sociopath and I was trying to use the Socratic Method to see if you were. :)

Now you go.

precision posted:

I agree with you, but

Skizzzer posted:

Up sociopathy by 10%. He cares too much.

:lol:

Gonz posted:

I'm just waiting for a player piano cover of More Human Than Human this season.

Yes. :rock:

Trivia posted:

I wonder if Delos allows modding.

Probably not; console scrubs.

What do you think about murderfucking all the Hosts? Is that super important to do? :v:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

considering the number of people who would not stop posting about how the walking dead is unrealistic and this is how they would survive a zombie apocalypse, powergamer version, yeah i can totally see zombie apocalypse being a great setting for westworld

the only problem is the families with kids won't be able to go

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Coral! Come back Coral!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah I don't think she "had" an MRSA infection so much as she had the bacteria growing in her abdomen. She was never sick, but she might have felt something there if the hosts have sensation inside their bodies.

I think the more disturbing thing is the implication that she was hosed so hard and so frequently that bacteria had started growing in her torn insides.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I don't think she "had" an MRSA infection so much as she had the bacteria growing in her abdomen. She was never sick, but she might have felt something there if the hosts have sensation inside their bodies.

I think the more disturbing thing is the implication that she was hosed so hard and so frequently that bacteria had started growing in her torn insides.

She held her abdomen in seeming pain several times throughout the episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

And now think about where they were probing for the infection site.

:stonk:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah, she is obviously holding her stomach in pain the entire episode. Maybe no one wanted to get with her because she smelled rancid to boot...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

considering the number of people who would not stop posting about how the walking dead is unrealistic and this is how they would survive a zombie apocalypse, powergamer version, yeah i can totally see zombie apocalypse being a great setting for westworld

Book your WestWorld trip for this October to unlock special surprise content: DeadWorld! :eng101:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Oh god, ZombieApocalypseSurvivalistJackoffWorld alone could fund the company indefinitely.

HBO should totally do this like True Detective and have each season focus on a different park. I want Zombieworld, Medieval world, Roman world, Futureworld, etc.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

McSpanky posted:

We can only pray that the zombie trend will be over by this point in the future. If not, we deserve the robot apocalypse

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

They may already be sentient - Thandie Newton's character woke up being repaired and flipped out. Not only did she wake up experiencing something completely beyond the bounds of Westworld, but she reacted in a fundamentally human way - she grabbed a weapon and took off. She's clearly got some level of self awareness, but she seems to lack a fundamental understanding of who, what, and why she is.

The question here is whether the hosts have the ability to learn, or if their behavior is still purely deterministic and has simply evolved into a highly complex, nuanced schema that defaults to certain behaviors when enough unknown variables are introduced. The reveries are obviously going to play a part in this - how those behaviors evolve, the decision trees themselves, etc., will be important. But thus far, we've seen 2 hosts clearly go beyond their intended behavioral bounds: Dolores when she killed the fly, and Thandie when she ran away from surgery.

Someone said it was a body double. Like really? Thandie Newton ...

I guess with computers and such it is possible.

Anyway. Quality post dude.

http://imgur.com/a/S5cX6

Blow fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

tin can made man posted:

They're coworkers, possibly for another yet-unrevealed Shady Future Company

I think they are both coworkers ad brother-in-laws. The dick guy said something like "Your sister rode a bunch of cowboys when she was here."

• Locked thread