Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Raskolnikov posted:

It was "rolled into" GRIMHEX.

I saw images of grimhex, but that din't look anything like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YMlnn4Ngk
e: cat tax

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

alf_pogs posted:

where is derek's new blog, did it arrive yet

derek is streaming a let's write my blog. (hopefully he doesn't turn into that other hack George RR Martin)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I saw images of grimhex, but that din't look anything like this
:thejoke:

Seriously though, That preview is just one of many 'previews' meant to hype people and sell JPEGs. If it ever is put into a game it will most likely be entirely different because Chris Roberts thinks it should look like [latest game thing]

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ZenMaster posted:

HAHAHA lookit how confident they are to rerecord the demo and do more stuff when no one is looking and any crashes or bugs they can just do it over again

So I went through both videos side by side and they literally watched my video and hid all the stuff I pointed out:

quote:

CHANGES IN NEW HOMESTEAD VIDEO UPLOADED 10/11/16 FROM ORIGINAL CITCON DEMO

0:25 stutter the same in both vids as pan in happens, so must be a loading skip

3:11 same stutter and weird blue glitch on left of screen

3:51 New vid has a lot more footage of the guy in the cockpit to show off animations, old vid just 1st person stuff

4:21 after taking a slightly different flight path, alarm sounds in new vid about 10 seconds
later than in the original vid

4:43 same zoom sequence until internal shot of pilot again this time from side, not front

5:41 new vid, Aquila arrives much faster at landing point than the ship in the old vid.

5:52 new landing is no where near as awkward as old vid (i pointed this out in my breakdown video)

6:05 new vid they stay in FP for the walk to the lockers, less glitching on geometry now

6:30+ new vid they exit the ship much faster and walk farther from Aquilla before cutting to 3rd person shot
of player

6:40: The zoom is much closer as they do the cheesecake shot of the player model

7:00 depth of field is different in the new vid, everything is closer, suspect DS is right about
the close plain texture issues and they just zoomed the camera in a bit?

7:15 new vid has the player looking much longer at scenery and getting to the Fake-o
buggy much later.

7:30 both buggies slide to the left ever so slightly on their lowering pads

7:57 this is odd... the animation for the old vid has been sped up getting into the
driver seat to make it faster in the new video. not sure

7:57: new vid the drivers looks around a bit before driving off

8:20 same pans, same gun and same headlight and wheel shot

8:30 stays on wheels longer in new vid

8:45 Hahahah, they don't cut to the shot in the new vid where you can see the wheels aren't touching
the ground! they do cut to a shot similar to this but much later :) (i pointed this out in my breakdown video)

10:30 Wow! New path, buggy takes path around rock to the left in new vid, old vid was right path

11:20 player getting stuck in wall of buggy did not happen this time, they were able to avoid that wall in new vid.

11:30 new vid guy looks in box first then in front of wreck, they both still zoom back in on base where they landed.

12:15 more outside shots of buggy, but more weird issues with buggy model, not as much z fighting
on ground could been seen player gets hung up in new vid on wall in buggy

13:20 zooms on base in new vid and spends much more time at sign than in old vid looking around

14:10 still weird snowy mountain frame in both vids

14:25 buggy ends up much closer to rock in canyon after being blown up

15:00 fight with AI, much different, new vid the player is being more careful, hiding using cover more, kills enemies in different order, one enemy in different spot (i pointed this out in my breakdown video)

15:20 swaps to pistol faster in new vid, takes much longer to get up the hill in new vid

15:50 old vid has glitch with missing pistol for 1 sec, new vid does not (i pointed this out in my breakdown video)

16:30 looks around a bit more in new vid, same shadow issue, but he hides it with gun/shadows (i pointed this out in my breakdown video)

16:59 they go 3rd person to hide the weird climb on animation in 1st person (i pointed this out in my breakdown video)

17:30+ pretty much the same same cues, rotations, but more looking in new vid at scenery and he gets to end much faster than old vid

18:50 hahah not as much bouncing in new vid (i pointed this out in my breakdown video)

20:00 gets back to dragonfly much faster in new vid

21:30 doesn't have odd glitch with moving forward and invisible wall (i pointed this out in my breakdown video)

22:10 much more 3rd person and looking during traveling to crashed ship

23:40 ragdoll of sniped bad guy down side of ship instead of awkward fall onto face (i pointed this out in my breakdown video)

24:30 lots more looking

25:20 same kill same run for cover

25:45 weird glitch on new vid to leftof screen like a weapon clipping thru the player

26:50 ragdoll is much better in new vid (goons pointed this out in gif form)

no black box still lol

27:40 old way point gone, take much long for new vid to get out of ship to end

28:00 walk on angled ship with no gun out this time

28:35 actually hits a raider (who is now shielded) to prove he can (i pointed this out in my breakdown video)

29:00 no console, play model stays in place, unmoving this time, no double pan out to space or water issue (i pointed this out in my breakdown video)

We do shape this game more than Citizens. :)

craptown
Oct 7, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

My issue with stuff like this is I just flat out don't believe any of it because Chris is such a loving gibbering idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC3W1BiUjp0

You should get a DJ 3000 to narrate your videos, just replace congress with CIG

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Dark Off posted:

star citizen citizencon demo all revisions
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/57fd5f4593298-star-citizen-planetary-v2-revisions-v2.php

In middle original uncut version ripped from twitch
In the left newest version with modified script
in the right citizencon stream as whole on star citizen youtube

pay points on
- clouds
- the ambush where are the tusken raiders shooting at?
-sniping incident when the guy shoots the dude walking on the javelin engine. Ragdoll addition
-personal shield added to dragonfly
-and many more

ZenMaster posted:

So I went through both videos side by side and they literally watched my video and hid all the stuff I pointed out:

check the clouds

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mirificus posted:

Rewatch it until you realize how amazing it is

Gaming equivalent of a quantum computer

Complainers have no idea how to code

$3000 on Star Citizen

this is basically a religious debate now. the lack of logic is the same. we're here saying "we have no reason to believe CRoberts is _actually_ building the things he is saying he wants to" and they're just saying "look at what he tells us!"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Dark Off posted:

star citizen citizencon demo all revisions
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/57fd5f4593298-star-citizen-planetary-v2-revisions-v2.php

In middle original uncut version ripped from twitch
In the left newest version with modified script
in the right citizencon stream as whole on star citizen youtube

pay points on
- clouds
- the ambush where are the tusken raiders shooting at?
-sniping incident when the guy shoots the dude walking on the javelin engine. Ragdoll addition
-personal shield added to dragonfly
-and many more

This is a good post.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

It was "rolled into" GRIMHEX.

development at CiG has more things rolling into other things than katamari damacy

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Is Star Citizen going to have anything to actually do on 99.99999% of the proposed planetary space available? I don't think you can expect actual gameplay in most of that landmass and that begs the question of why it's even there in the first place imo.

The older I get the more I seem to agree with Todd Howard and his "cut the bits that aren't compelling and don't provide useful gameplay" philosophy.
How does he explain the settlement system in Fallout 4 then?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TheAgent posted:

guess what "I AM A PC GAME" developer just requested SCORPIO dev kits lol

hahhaha

i bet they aren't cheap either.

DigitalMocking posted:

They had a team of 240.

1500 total people worked on it globally. These loving people.

the witcher 3 script was also 3.8k pages and had 950+ speaking roles

step up your game crobbers

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

hahhaha

i bet they aren't cheap either.

the witcher 3 script was also 3.8k pages and had 950+ speaking roles

step up your game crobbers

Oblivion script was 3k pages and 3 speaking roles.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This is so loving stupid. Its like they cant sit down and reason how much a 1500 studio team would cost. You'd blow the entire SC budget in less than a year.

Witcher 3 cost like 60 million dollars to make from what I heard the last time.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

CrazyTolradi posted:

How does he explain the settlement system in Fallout 4 then?

He needed a boxquote feature maybe to help differentiate the game from Fallout 3 and drive sales. His "cut stuff" philosophy was expressed in an interview about Skyrim and spears/crossbows iirc and I agree with the idea, but also think Todd Howard is kind of not the best project lead.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chochmah posted:

https://i.imgur.com/AdQMFcd.mp4

I'm only superficially familiar with procedural terrain generation (have implemented fractal, noise etc.) and whatever CIG is using here is obviously superior to those simpler methods. Does anybody know what kind of algorithms they are using and how it is possible that they are so blazingly fast? Assuming that terrain generation and asset loading starts the moment he engages his warp drive it's 4-5 seconds max. Is it possible that those are actually just maps and everything in that demo is already loaded into memory? Their demo machines had 64GB of RAM according to GamersNexus.

I'm the planet that is larger than our moon in earth's orbit that isn't completely loving both gravity wells and sending them crashing into eachother or the nearest galaxy

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm the planet that is larger than our moon in earth's orbit that isn't completely loving both gravity wells and sending them crashing into eachother or the nearest galaxy

Unparalleled fidelity and realism!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Oh yeah, I'm sure people who have not bought the game are going to a convention that is explicitly for that game. They will fly across the world for that poo poo. They must have been FASCINATED at that hour-long powerpoint as well.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jobbo_Fett posted:

they could be crashing into each other, it's just taking millions of years

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

Whoever it is, they lost a lot of money.

Maybe they got a refund by now. That was a year ago?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Lladre posted:

After watching the end portion of the stream I have come to the conclusion that Sean Tracy is totally in on the scam.

And now he has himself on record blatantly misleading the public.
This will not end well for him.

He always was:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/784094481486340096

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

starkebn posted:

they could be crashing into each other, it's just taking millions of years

So will happen sometime before Star Citizen is released.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

btw what ever happened to Nyx lol? I'm not seeing it on any of the slides lol

It got scammed out of being in the game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alf_pogs posted:

where is derek's new blog, did it arrive yet

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/785917323156787200

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Charles Get-Out posted:

He needed a boxquote feature maybe to help differentiate the game from Fallout 3 and drive sales. His "cut stuff" philosophy was expressed in an interview about Skyrim and spears/crossbows iirc and I agree with the idea, but also think Todd Howard is kind of not the best project lead.
Fallout 3: You're the son leaving the vault to find his father
Fallout 4: You're the father leaving the fault to find his son, who is oddly enough called Father

Todd Howard has some real issues around this.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

ZenMaster posted:

They should pay you for working harder than CIG at trying to release a competent presentation.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

legal! bad dog

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Quoting yourself from a tweet you still haven't delivered on.

Bold move Mr. Smart.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

alf_pogs posted:

legal! bad dog

legal ate my blog post

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Maybe next time you should get it cleared by legal before boasting about having the story of the century.

Or you can post it anyway and dare CIG to actually sue you.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

chochmah posted:

https://i.imgur.com/AdQMFcd.mp4

I'm only superficially familiar with procedural terrain generation (have implemented fractal, noise etc.) and whatever CIG is using here is obviously superior to those simpler methods. Does anybody know what kind of algorithms they are using and how it is possible that they are so blazingly fast?
Cryengine supports layers. Layers are basically sub parts of a level that are activated by the player walking into the trigger and the layer behind them fading off and the new one fading in. Think of moving into an indoors area. All of the outside base detail will switch off to conserve memory when you turn a corridor, but load back in should you run back.

The planet transition (did you see the shadow in the warp tunnel?) is pretty much fast scaling out one terrain, moving into the skybox with the planet model and fast scaling in the other terrain while shifting the time of day to simulate space heading into atmosphere. Keep in mind the TOD is what's used to simulate space, it's a generic star skybox with nothing like constellations that change as you get deeper.

As it was revealed earlier with their screengrab of their planet generation, it isn't an in-engine procedural thing like Elite but a series of tiles that are made in a third party program and are stitched together and fed in and out as the player travels along them. These planets are really small moons rather than something large and expansive.

The big problem they have is that level of detail in the demo isn't possible planet wide, you only have 64 square meters squared to run around in so active zones will look detailed but the rest will be generic heightmapped terrain.

Compounding that is the fact the game cannot support transitions across maps. Each sandbox level is a self contained thing so you have to have a whole series of maps "system 1, 2, 3' etc etc that the player has to load in and out of. Meaning a freeform exploration world isn't remotely possible.

In fact not even Elite can do this as the game either has you in a system "world map" before loading you into a local planet and when jumping between major systems.
As much as gaming has leapt ahead since 1988 you still have to work around constraints via smoke and mirrors.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I thought the goal was to get sued so you could get the financials and prove the whole thing is a scam.

I'm gonna say legal isn't very good if they can't even help you get sued Derek.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

WebDog posted:

As much as gaming has leapt ahead since 1988 you still have to work around constraints via smoke and mirrors.
This is one thing I love to come back to, because in a game I don't really care how it's done, what matters is the experience.

Shitizens whining about game devs taking shortcuts are like people complaining that magicians don't actually use magic. If you have half a brain, you go in knowing it's a trick and just enjoy the experience of it being performed.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Still working on that blog!? We've all seen what Roberts can do in an 8-hour coke-fueled frenzy, maybe we backed the wrong horse on this one...

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Sorry if I missed this if it was mentioned already, but, why was Sandi wearing a night gown?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Ah yes, the "It clearly wasn't intended for you" defense. Absolutely flawless in the face of criticism like "This looks like boring garbage"

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

D1E posted:

I thought the goal was to get sued so you could get the financials and prove the whole thing is a scam.

I'm gonna say legal isn't very good if they can't even help you get sued Derek.

Maybe derek is the one running the scam? Right now its a race to the bottom over who can under-deliver faster.

But he can solve all this. Derek pays me $1 then tells me everything he knows. Attorney Client privilege covers the rest.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

What if I posted a tribute picture of a screen cap of sandy in the night gown to her twitter. Then she'll know us citizens really care

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

thatguy posted:

Quoting yourself from a tweet you still haven't delivered on.

Bold move Mr. Smart.

It's the derek smart version of two factor authentication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Maldoror posted:

Sorry if I missed this if it was mentioned already, but, why was Sandi wearing a night gown?

It started at 8pm EST and was a Apple-trademarked "courageous" shout out to the U.S. east coast folks who were lounging around their homes, waiting for bed.

• Locked thread