Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, I hosed up by making it sound like I was badmouthing Harryhausen. He's great but his monsters generally don't have that classic kaiju eiga feel to 'em and I submit that this doesn't either:

Ultraman I will not defend. Loved that poo poo as a kid, but try to tell me with a straight face that all those Ultra monsters aren't silly as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bimmi posted:

Yeah, I hosed up by making it sound like I was badmouthing Harryhausen. He's great but his monsters generally don't have that classic kaiju eiga feel to 'em and I submit that this doesn't either:

Ultraman I will not defend. Loved that poo poo as a kid, but try to tell me with a straight face that all those Ultra monsters aren't silly as hell.

You could have at least posted the model of the actual creature.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bimmi posted:

I'm a huge Showa apologist / favoritist, silly isn't really a negative to me.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You could have at least posted the model of the actual creature.

Maybe you could oblige me since I've never seen one?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Bimmi posted:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

I'm not saying it ain't art, but one of my greatest disappointments of the last few years was buying the Complete Ultraman on DVD, watching the first episode, and realizing the magic wasn't ever coming back.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bimmi posted:

Maybe you could oblige me since I've never seen one?

You could just look up Stan Winston Godzilla and easily find it. I'm phone posting or I'd do it.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 6, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
So it's this guy then:

He's okay I guess. Still kinda generic. Doesn't really read as a gigantic city-crusher to me but we'll never know how it would have turned out.

One thing I do like about 2014 is the MUTOs. I thought they captured the whole Godzilla feel better than Godzilla himself did, just a really neat and fitting concept with some scary as hell biology to boot, and they were way cool to see in action. Only reservation I have about 'em is that they are basically Gyaos, which makes it even more apparent that G14 is just a lightly disguised remake of Gamera - Guardian of the Universe.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 6, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One issue with the 1994 Godzilla script is that it does keep him on a leash for a while. Godzilla (who in this film is a product of genetic engineering to protect Earth from monsters like the Gryphon) heads towards San Francisco, but is subdued by being sprayed with "amniotic fluid" from his birthing chamber, and collapses on the bridge. He's moved to a testing facility where he spends much of the time asleep, until finally the Gryphon goes on a rampage and Godzilla awakens to battle him. There's no sense of him being any kind of threat, even as much as in the 2014 film (where there's a little irony in the "Savior of the City" title he's given at the end.) And of course the nuclear angle is completely gone. Still, not a bad script.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Do I see hooves and claws on those feet?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Pyswagoras posted:

Huh. Looks like they're on the model too.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Pyswagoras posted:

The face has a mountain lion feel too. Crazy design. Not necessarily bad, but crazy.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Bimmi posted:

Edwardzilla would've looked so much better if they hadn't let his arms just hang loose like that maquette is doing: I couldn't help but see someone's drunk, fat uncle stumbling from the couch to his bed in almost every shot where he wasn't actively loving something up and even a few where he was. The ready-to-grapple stance is such an integral part of Godzilla's visual language that it just felt wrong to me that they totally missed it.

He stands like a bear with his arms hanging down like that, which is a cool and different biped to model - especially if you want to suggest massive power.

Even his face is bearlike in this shot:

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 8, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought they Godzilla design in the film was really drat great. The only thing I kind of didn't care for were those stumpy feet he had. Godzilla had a really good slumbering giant design. Kind of shlubby but once he got going, he was unstoppable. Most importantly, in tying with the themes, he didn't look completely alien. He looked like he was a natural part of the world rather than a symbol of man-made destruction.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
To be honest, Godzilla's big ol' clown feet are one of his most awkward design elements — the Hesiei G, which I generally love, tends to look real goofy when he walks — so I do get why they might have gone a little too far in the other direction for 14.

I don't, like, love G14 or anything, but they did a good job making him seem like a live, tangible, fleshy creature, so that alone was kind of cool to see.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

G14's biggest problem was not enough Godzilla.

They kept cutting away to aftermath way too frequently. It's not a horror film you don't need to hide the monsters for effect, and it then even loses the potential drama and terror of seeing this destruction from the human angle but being helpless to do much about it. There are moments in the film where the tone and direction come together, but it's def got an uneven feel to it imo.

The creature designs were not a problem in it. The flappy other monsters were fine and Godzilla was kinda scary and huge and badass.

Also really can't wait for tomorrow night to see this new one in the theater!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The amount of Godzilla could've worked if the scenes without Godzilla in them were any good.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah, the problem with G14 isn't Godzilla's limited screen time - that's actually in keeping with many of the originals - the problem is how horribly uninteresting every single actor who isn't named Bryan Cranston is.

For the record I enjoyed the movie, I just think they made a horrible mistake in who they chose to focus the story on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think some of the night scenes were a little bit too dark. Or maybe it was in the convention to digital/bluray but God drat the movie is really dark.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was the bluray transfer. It looked perfect in theatres. They really hosed that up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah, the problem with G14 isn't Godzilla's limited screen time - that's actually in keeping with many of the originals - the problem is how horribly uninteresting every single actor who isn't named Bryan Cranston is.

It should be a crime to waste David Straithairn like that.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The amount of Godzilla could've worked if the scenes without Godzilla in them were any good.

I would second this, but in lieu of that more Godzilla couldn't have hurt.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Godzilla '14 should have come out of the screen and proposed to me.

Also the MUTOs were cute and reminded me of Snapping Turtles. I hope they appear again sometime.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So Shin Godzilla is really good.

Godzilla is presented as some kind of horrifically super-evolved organism that can handle whatever you throw at it. It lurches onto shore in this strange, almost comical form that again put me in mind of what I see in Japanese horror and manga and so on- big bulging eyes and an awkward shape and the horror is how incongruous it is. It never quite looks "right". And though the satire in the beginning implies that the Japanese don't act quickly enough because of red tape and so on, when they- and the US- respond with missiles and bombs, it makes things even worse, because Godzilla responds by incinerating earth and sky with radioactive fire.

A lot of it is specifically political in regards to Japan and its relations with other nations and how it's still under the shadow of the war- they even say "the postwar era lasts forever."

Though the film is in some ways a radical revision of the traditional Godzilla-versus-mankind story, it doesn't cut ties with the past entirely- there's ingenious use of some old music cues and near the end you feel like it's a reconstruction of those tropes in a modern environment. (Granted I have no idea if they'll try for a direct sequel. Seems it would be tricky.)

The effects are generally quite good. Like I wasn't sure what specific techniques were being used for Godzilla in a given scene, and the blending of it with live action backgrounds works way better here than it ever did in the 2000 series. Like, there were definitely chuckles because for a US crowd the bug eyes and such look funny, but it's effective.

Last night I was thinking it's remarkable just how experimental Godzilla as a franchise has gotten. Final Wars was its own weird experiment in bringing in tropes from sentai and shonen anime and so on (I still honestly have yet to pin down just how I feel about it. Need to watch it again.) 2014 was "humans walking in the footsteps of giants". We've got this, and apparently there will be an animated film (?) and Legendary has more in the can. These are fascinating times.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Just got back from seeing Shin Godzilla, I kind of hated it. If you want just a grade and is Godzilla cool in it; D+/C- and YES. There are cool things in it but it is not a good movie, I do recommend seeing it for having some really neat miniature filming tricks.

This movie is like 95% Bureaucratic Politics and 5% Godzilla destroying stuff, it also comes real close to being hilariously xenophobic, with all countries not Japan being portayed as selfcentered and/or trying to bully the small country of Japan into them giving control(?) of Godzilla. Listen the writing is really bad in this, like really really bad. There are massive amounts of redundant scenes which I guess was to show off the bureaucratic bloat of the government but it just feels like time bloating. Satomi Ishihara(Patterson) obviously learned her lines phonetically, because her english is so bad I laughed every time she spoke it. My only real other complaint was ending poilersthe fact that they defeated Godzilla, once again, by freezing him to death.It feels super lazy and unoriginal.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 12, 2016

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BattleTech posted:

Just got back from seeing Shin Godzilla, I kind of hated it. If you want just a grade and is Godzilla cool in it; D+/C- and YES. There are cool things in it but it is not a good movie, I do recommend seeing it for having some really neat miniature filming tricks.

This movie is like 95% Bureaucratic Politics and 5% Godzilla destroying stuff, it also comes real close to being hilariously xenophobic, with all countries not Japan being portayed as selfcentered and/or trying to bully the small country of Japan into them giving control(?) of Godzilla. Listen the writing is really bad in this, like really really bad. There are massive amounts of redundant scenes which I guess was to show off the bureaucratic bloat of the government but it just feels like time bloating. Satomi Ishihara(Patterson) obviously learned her lines phonetically, because her english is so bad I laughed every time she spoke it. My only real other complaint was ending poilersthe fact that they defeated Godzilla, once again, by freezing him to death.It feels super lazy and unoriginal.

I agree with the conceit of this post, but I love me some bureaucrat jokes, so I was happy as a clam. The moments of serious destruction were perfect, the moments that wouldn't be out of place in an episode of Veep were great too.

I totally agree with you about the actress who played Patterson. For someone who was supposedly a 2nd or 3rd generation American her English was not very good. I'd say that they could have looked a little harder to find someone who was more bilingual, but I'm sure there are plenty of Hollywood movies where supposed Japanese can't speak it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

BattleTech posted:

Eh, I just saw it tonight and I'd say the bureaucracy scenes are more like 70% of the movie. The whole film seems like it's a sharpened arrow pointed directly at the overbloated and useless Japanese Government, ie how it takes a chain of communication within a SINGLE ROOM just to accomplish the smallest task, how different types of conversations with the same people requires different rooms, how all the big UN countries can easily throw their weight around with Japan, etc etc. Like, the Godzilla aspect of the film was merely the vehicle the criticism rode in on.

Godzilla himself, hoooly gently caress was that some crazy rear end destruction. It was wild.

Would anyone like to weigh in on the final shot? I think As they say at one point, Godzilla appears to be reproducing by molting, where the lumps that fall off can grow into their own Godzilla, but not only that, they make comments that his spontaneous evolution can work any way he chooses, including changing into smaller creatures. We see bipedal, humanoid creatures, frozen in seemingly mid-emerging from the tip of G's tail. I think we're supposed to assume that they ARE Godzilla, in his next form as a whole species of creatures, whose size we can't really discern, but I think are a bit bigger than humans, and the freeze/coagulant stopped the change just in time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Most Godzilla movies are mostly footage of other things happening.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BattleTech posted:

it also comes real close to being hilariously xenophobic, with all countries not Japan being portayed as selfcentered and/or trying to bully the small country of Japan into them giving control(?) of Godzilla.

Not really? They ultimately take an official stance of sacrificing Tokyo for international safety, which is cynical but not unrealistic, especially compared to the internal justification that it'll get the economy to rebound more quickly. The Yaguchi Plan garnered a large amount of international support, and wouldn't have succeeded without it. Heck, the opening of that sequence is almost entirely American drone strikes.

e: Anyway, good movie. I was actually surprised since even going in optimistically, I expected the bureaucratic scenes to drag somewhat, but that never happened. There's actually quite a lot of low-key humor, especially up through Godzilla going upright.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 12, 2016

HorribleAvatar
Feb 26, 2012

We're through running form these bastards!
Hey everyone, long time lurker and Godzilla fan here. Just got back from seeing it here in SLC and I was pleasantly surprised at how many people came out to see it, I'd say the theater was about 75% full. Anyways I was initially kind of weary of the direction this would go in when the first pics and plot details were leaked, but drat did this movie impress me! I felt as though the political and satirical tones of the movie were actually just for me, not too heavy handed yet very pointed at the bloated nature of govt. bureaucracies. I also loved the way Godzilla has to essentially prime his particle beam with a jet of fire first. That part was probably my favorite part in the entire movie. I'll echo the general sentiments of those who liked here, the only real plot point that didn't do it for me was the budding of the baby Godzillas from his tail. I think it was the fact that they looked more humanoid to me than Godzilla, oh well that's something I can overlook in the next movie. Anyways this was better than G14 for me and is drat near close to my favorite Godzilla movie. Go see this movie while it's in theaters, glad I got the chance.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You might want to spoil stuff there

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I just watched this movie and thought it was fantastic. I actually thought a lot of the destruction was understated, which was fine, no problem with it, but when the breath scene happened :asoiaf:

Also this movie's score is really good, thought like half of it is lifted straight from Eva.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Where can I get the black and red poster for this movie? Preferably in Japanese.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Oh rad, untagged spoilers. Awesome.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This film definitely seems like it wpuld appeal more to native japanese/ people who have lived in japan purely because of all the political and bureaucratic stuff in it. It's pretty much Godzilla vs the Japanese Pencil Pushers.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I saw this tonight too and I have some conflicted feelings but I'll type it out tomorrow when I'm at a computer.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
This movie is shot absolutely beautifully. It reminded me a lot of A Hijacking in terms of stark detachment and the tomb-like labyrinth of offices. I love that it barely gives you a human to hang onto; individuals are insignificant in the machine of the bureaucracy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw it, and while I did enjoy it, I thought it moved a little too fast. Faster than I expected out of any Godzilla movie. Outside of Godzilla scenes, I don't think there were any two seconds where somebody wasn't talking. I missed the nice long stretches of Godzilla 2014 of beautiful shots and quiet moments. My viewing experience was hindered due to the theatre's weird seating arrangement and a guy's head was taking up a good portion of my screen and he was in an office chair (it's a restaurant hybrid) and he kept swaying back and forth, making it impossible to read subtitles at times.
The theatre was called Studio Movie Grill, so seeing SMG stamped everywhere was weird on multiple levels.

Regarding Godzilla itself: This one is a weird in between. He's not Savior of the Earth Hero Godzilla, but I can't quite say he's revengeance style villain Godzilla either. He kind of just... exists. A building sized elephant in the room. He doesn't outright attack anything as he trudges along. His energy attacks are self defense, which he doesn't even use until they do find something to that hurts him. His energy/fire puke was great.

I definitely like Godzilla 2014 better, but I'll give it a proper rewatch on bluray before giving it a final judgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In an SMG-Esque note, I really loved how the end happened. They defeat Godzilla by literally turning the city against him, attacking him with train bombs and collapsing buildings on top of him, and the power of international relations and drone strikes. After seeing movie after American movie show the complete leveling of skyscrapers as a tragedy in and of itself, this movie turns it on its head and sees the buildings strike back! That would probably not fly in an American blockbuster at the moment, unless they attempted to play it up as a conspiracy theory.

I also never saw this movie as anything resembling fascism. I understand where people are coming with it, but government did ultimately save the day. It's about encouraging collaboration instead of separation, both internationally and nationally.