Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

BrianWilly posted:

Okay, can I bring the room down for a minute? The whole breakup with James was so loving stupid. So stupid. I feel like they just filtered raw unrefined CWium into this one single plot.

('Cuz the rest of it was so great)

Yeah I didn't really think they sold that relationship/pining very well until the middle of the season last year, but they really didn't sell the breakup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I watched the first season sporadically and it never felt fun (except for the Flash episode of course). This episode rocked and the Kara/James thing was so poorly done in the parts I saw last season, that removing it is a mercy killing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

Okay, can I bring the room down for a minute? The whole breakup with James was so loving stupid. So stupid. I feel like they just filtered raw unrefined CWium into this one single plot.

Kara also shut Winn down hard in s1 and turned out drama free. Let's hope they go 2/2

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mastajake posted:

Yeah I didn't really think they sold that relationship/pining very well until the middle of the season last year, but they really didn't sell the breakup.

Normally I'd say the show is 1000% better now that they've removed the stupid romance drama, but this is the CW. This poo poo is going to drag out the entire season, and it's gonna blow.

Hopefully we can keep it quarantined to a small segment, like in this episode, and we can have our fun stuff that avoids the CW writer virus for a while :unsmith:

Also where the gently caress is Jay Garrick? I need that sweet sweet Earth-3 JSA action :getin:

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Will They and Won't They are two sides of a coin that The CW flips every episode for their shows. The glaring thing here is that cutting it off with Olson goes against the fucken life lesson Kara learned from Cat the scene previous.

"So you are saying I should just 'Dive In' professionally and romantically or I won't be living my life?"

"Sure."

"Okay then, so I'll be a reporter and.... non-committal with the man of my dreams? That makes complete sense, right?"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why did they give Wynn a look for asking if his IRA transfers? That's a serious question

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Wynn's working for the US Government now, he'll get a sweet pension that'll blow that IRA away.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I enjoyed Kal-El, son of Jor-El and Lara Lor-Van, appearing on my television screen. In the suit. Flying around and being cool.

Well played, CW.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Clark didn't suck, and Supes was aiight!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Rocksicles posted:

Clark didn't suck, and Supes was aiight!

And he didn't even look all that short. The power of television!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kefkafloyd posted:

Wynn's working for the US Government now, he'll get a sweet pension that'll blow that IRA away.

<insert NORAID joke here>

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

aBagorn posted:

This time they have Eobard Thawne and Damien Dahrk.

Should be gooooooooooood.

Yeah this season they're stealing villains from other shows. Malcolm Merlyn is supposed to be around as well.

It looks like the explanation for not having Calista around all that much is she's going to be taking off. Going by that scene in her office. I'm assuming that with no Ms Grant and no Wynn at Catco we won't be seeing that main office area again.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

spooky like this! posted:

Yeah this season they're stealing villains from other shows. Malcolm Merlyn is supposed to be around as well.

It looks like the explanation for not having Calista around all that much is she's going to be taking off. Going by that scene in her office. I'm assuming that with no Ms Grant and no Wynn at Catco we won't be seeing that main office area again.

The scene where they introduced the new DEO office was so blatantly, "yeah we don't have access to that set anymore" I wonder if they worked out a deal with CBS that got them permission to film one more episode on the Catco set.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Somewhere, Tom Welling is crying in a corner

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Strongest premiere of the CW shows at this point, and I doubt Legends will knock this from its throne. Really good. Absurdly enjoyable Superman. They knew exactly what they were doing getting a smiling, joking, winking Superman on TV.

You can see the cracks where they patched over the move to CW, though. MOST of them weren't terrible (moving the DEO, moving Winn) but the Kara/Jimmy thing was particularly poorly handled. I'm really hoping that they undid those two for a good reason and give us no drama over it.

I'm guessing Cat is having a soul-searching moment and will go off on a bunch of grand adventures to reduce her role on the show, and moving Winn out of CatCo means we probably won't see the office set much after this.

What happened to Lucy? Wasn't she assigned as director of the DEO? Are they just quietly retconning that?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mortanis posted:

What happened to Lucy? Wasn't she assigned as director of the DEO? Are they just quietly retconning that?

"It's nice of the government to reinstate you, J'onn!"
"Yes. Lucy couldn't be around anymore, it's like she's some sort of actress we couldn't pay."
"Haha! That'd be weird!"

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

spooky like this! posted:

I think we'll see Catco around - Kara's office and James' office (as acting CEO obviously)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

aBagorn posted:

I think we'll see Catco around - Kara's office and James' office (as acting CEO obviously)

They already announced Snapper Carr is Kara's new boss.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Will he have the ability to teleport by snapping his fingers?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It hasn't been talked about much but Alex's little bit of kung fu in the climactic fight was pretty awesome.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

mastajake posted:

Also considering this episode continued on directly from last season and took place over the space of 48 hours, Kara went from "yay I'ma gonna get with Jimmy" to "no space for a Jimmy" in a pretty short space of time.

Apart from that and the lego building drat good opening. Supergirl > Arrow > Flash so far.

Oh, so is the "not Lex Luthor" from last season not coming back and they have just replaced him with "not Lex Luthor, but his sister who might also stand in as a replacement for Cat Grant"?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

That was a great episode. I couldn't help but smile at "up up and away".

It fit.

As it should with Superman!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

badjohny posted:

That was a great episode. I couldn't help but smile at "up up and away".

It fit.

As it should with Superman!

I love Happy Winking Superman, it's a million times better than Grimdark Not Marvelman No Seriously Superman.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm going to be disappointed if Cat and and Lord disappear. I enjoyed the frenemy thing Lord had going on, and Cat is an excellent character, who I feel is an important part of the show.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

So L Corp is going to be attacked by Mr (Kryptonite-Powered) Robot?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have they mentioned the Intergang before this episode?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It hasn't been talked about much but Alex's little bit of kung fu in the climactic fight was pretty awesome.

That was a highlight for sure, especially after she had so little screen time that episode.

I think she might've done it last season too, but I love that take-down she does against larger opponents (which is most opponents because she's so small). It's the one where she wraps her legs around the neck and pulls her entire body toward the ground. When she pulled it on Corben I definitely fist-pumped.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Klungar posted:

So L Corp is going to be attacked by Mr (Kryptonite-Powered) Robot?

I appreciate this.

Rumor was that Peter Facinelli (Maxwell Lord) had some episodes in S2 but I don't think there's been anything serious beyond that.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Finally watched this and it was by far the best premiere of the CW superhero shows. Superman is happy and cheerful which is a nice break from all the grimdark poo poo DC normally does.

So much to be excited about this season!

-No relationship drama (I hope)
-MUSICAL EPISODE
-Super excited to see what the Arrow crossover is about

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
E'rrbody's saying how Supergirl was the best premiere between itself, Flash, and Arrow...but, honestly, Supergirl was far and away the best of these three shows last year as well so really, that's no surprise.

(:smug:)

Superman's little grudge against J'onn didn't really make all that much sense when you think about 'cuz it's like...well...y'know they keep bullets where police and military work, right Clark? Bullets kill those guys too, but that doesn't mean they're...I dunno...paranoid about themselves or whatever? Still, I also kinda liked it because it reminded me a little bit of Clark's stubbornness and pride in the comics.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BrianWilly posted:

Superman's little grudge against J'onn didn't really make all that much sense when you think about 'cuz it's like...well...y'know they keep bullets where police and military work, right Clark? Bullets kill those guys too, but that doesn't mean they're...I dunno...paranoid about themselves or whatever?

To be fair, they don't usually make bullets that:

A) specifically kill only you and your family and
B) kill you via horrible ultrafast cancer

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I didn't watch the show besides the first two episodes and the Flash episode because it never really did it for me from the start, but goddamn was that such a good episode. This Superman is a lot of fun and I've always like Melissa Benoist as Supergirl and now I remember why. Like others have said, the Jimmy/Kara stuff was dumb and I don't have any previous exposure to their relationship, really, but you can tell this show is on the CW now, but I don't care. I really liked this episode and honestly can't wait for all four shows this year. I'm excited. Superman on my TV screen. I hope he comes back for more than just the first two episodes once they realize the fan reaction.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the comics, Superman gives Batman Kryptonite because Batman is the only one he trusts to use it wisely, and to use it to take him down should Superman himself ever become a danger to Earth. I wonder if they're gonna do something like that with Supergirl and Green Arrow.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Also, since I've never watched. I'm thinking it's so, but Cat doesn't know Kara is Supergirl, correct? Cat is the best part of this show.

^ Also, that'd be pretty cool. But no one trusts Ollie, ever.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Sir Potato posted:

Also, since I've never watched. I'm thinking it's so, but Cat doesn't know Kara is Supergirl, correct? Cat is the best part of this show.

^ Also, that'd be pretty cool. But no one trusts Ollie, ever.

Yeah, she's more likely to give it to Barr...ahahahaha no just kidding.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

J'onn is the most trustworthy AND he already has it. Problem solved :colbert:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Well if they ever want to cancel the show they can just give kryptonite to the Flash, he'll find a way to gently caress that up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sir Potato posted:

She figured it out at one point, but they solved that problem in the most Silver Age way possible.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

I don't think he was from this Earth, remember Supergirl had never heard of The Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
We just need one more DC-CW show so that we can have a full weeks run, and a weeklong crossover. We've got a nicely fleshed out potential Justice league already. Who to base it around though? Batman is too much of an overlap with Green Arrow, the hawk people are too bland and miscast to be useful as anything other than side characters in an ensemble (and barely at that). Ray and firestorm are both fun characters, but they're already on legends and I don't think either of them could carry a show. Constantine is fun, but they seem reluctant to let the CW shows use him.

Maybe Wonder Woman, or green lantern? They've been dropping hints about the latter on flash.