Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Maldoror posted:

Sorry if I missed this if it was mentioned already, but, why was Sandi wearing a night gown?

She thought she was receiving the Academy Award for Best Actress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Derek Smart do you know who these guys are?

edit: I know the middle pedophile looking guy is Fartwin

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Those are top members of the Swedih mafia

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Kakarot posted:

Those are top members of the Swedih mafia

the right side looks like El Chapo

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The cards foretold these events. We just need to let the cards loving finish.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Thats as disappointing as Citcon

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
we're not talking about tetris :smug:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

They look like private investors to me, they seem quite 'business' like. Definitley important people for something, maybe they'll further the plot or maybe they are there helping Ortwindows95 pack his stuff up for the moving company.

Who knows man, who knows.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

guess what "I AM A PC GAME" developer just requested SCORPIO dev kits lol

Paradox Interactive?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

WebDog posted:

Cryengine supports layers. Layers are basically sub parts of a level that are activated by the player walking into the trigger and the layer behind them fading off and the new one fading in. Think of moving into an indoors area. All of the outside base detail will switch off to conserve memory when you turn a corridor, but load back in should you run back.

The planet transition (did you see the shadow in the warp tunnel?) is pretty much fast scaling out one terrain, moving into the skybox with the planet model and fast scaling in the other terrain while shifting the time of day to simulate space heading into atmosphere. Keep in mind the TOD is what's used to simulate space, it's a generic star skybox with nothing like constellations that change as you get deeper.

As it was revealed earlier with their screengrab of their planet generation, it isn't an in-engine procedural thing like Elite but a series of tiles that are made in a third party program and are stitched together and fed in and out as the player travels along them. These planets are really small moons rather than something large and expansive.

The big problem they have is that level of detail in the demo isn't possible planet wide, you only have 64 square meters squared to run around in so active zones will look detailed but the rest will be generic heightmapped terrain.

Compounding that is the fact the game cannot support transitions across maps. Each sandbox level is a self contained thing so you have to have a whole series of maps "system 1, 2, 3' etc etc that the player has to load in and out of. Meaning a freeform exploration world isn't remotely possible.

In fact not even Elite can do this as the game either has you in a system "world map" before loading you into a local planet and when jumping between major systems.
As much as gaming has leapt ahead since 1988 you still have to work around constraints via smoke and mirrors.
Neat.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/785924336683061248

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

They look like private investors to me, they seem quite 'business' like. Definitley important people for something, maybe they'll further the plot or maybe they are there helping Ortwindows95 pack his stuff up for the moving company.

Who knows man, who knows.

Actually no, I take this back.

They are there to make Ortwindows95 a clean passport, hence the laptop.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Breetai posted:

I see Ben is cosplaying as an old favourite internet jpg.

Ben doesn't know how to hold the gun, lol.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Somebody has been loving around with a lot of messages today...

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Somebody has been loving around with a lot of messages today...

Who?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Paramemetic posted:

The Ace of Coins, the Hanged Man, Justice

The Ace of Coins represents news arriving, and from this news Derek is going to get hung up on something. The rope around Justice's neck is that from which he hangs.

I turned two more cards - the 10 of Batons on the Ace of Coins tells us that the news is that there is still a lot of work to be done, still many obstacles.

The World on Justice shows that he will be hung up by everything being as it is, or by the entire world.

DogonCrook posted:

The cards foretold these events. We just need to let the cards loving finish.

:smug:

Justice represents Legal and is preventing Derek from posting the blog, so he is stuck, hung up, as it were. He has news (the Ace of Coins - also, this might come from an insider, an "Ace") but there are obstacles to him posting. Legal owns his entire world.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A lot of grimacing in this video. Like swallowing a really disgusting pill.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Somebody

:tinfoil:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ben doesn't know how to hold the gun, lol.

Does know how, or physically can't?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Drunk Theory posted:

Imagine Ben trying to kill himself but he cant point a gun at his head because it's impossible for his arms to bend like that.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Imagine Ben trying to kill himself but he cant point a gun at his head because it's impossible for his arms to bend like that.
Surely there's a dark comedy out there like this.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
He tries to hang himself but all the ropes/chairs/beams keep breaking.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drunk Theory posted:

Going with both on this one.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

ZenMaster posted:

So I went through both videos side by side and they literally watched my video and hid all the stuff I pointed out:

We do shape this game more than Citizens. :)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
How could anyone look at what they're proposing and not think, there's no way they could possibly do this? The scope is beyond realistic- but the backers are just going, Wow, they're doing the impossible! It's really insane.

Also the ship designs are lame and derivative.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

thatguy posted:

Surely there's a dark comedy out there like this.

Yeah, its called Star Citizen

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

EminusSleepus posted:

Derek Smart do you know who these guys are?

edit: I know the middle pedophile looking guy is Fartwin

What's the stuff in the corners? Decoration or acoustic foam?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Bad legal. BAD.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Nice mbeltdown

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

WebDog posted:

Cryengine supports layers. Layers are basically sub parts of a level that are activated by the player walking into the trigger and the layer behind them fading off and the new one fading in. Think of moving into an indoors area. All of the outside base detail will switch off to conserve memory when you turn a corridor, but load back in should you run back.

The planet transition (did you see the shadow in the warp tunnel?) is pretty much fast scaling out one terrain, moving into the skybox with the planet model and fast scaling in the other terrain while shifting the time of day to simulate space heading into atmosphere. Keep in mind the TOD is what's used to simulate space, it's a generic star skybox with nothing like constellations that change as you get deeper.

orcinus posted:

But that's the thing, it's a reflection *from the second planet*.

What it looks like, is as if they unloaded the map with the first planet, loaded the second one, with the pixel shaders for the second map already loaded while the "load screen" warp is playing. Alternatively, these are actually two takes, of two separate scripts, recorded separately, then edited into a single clip.

With the cut at the point where the first planet simply disappears (just *before* the warp).

So i was right (with the first version).

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I like the description for that TV show lovely reality thing, says it all.

quote:

David, Ajay and German level up casting for the hit video "Squadron 42" while Becky flips out casting cheerleaders for a top secret music video.

Sorry if it's already been posted, I only just stumbled upon it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

CrazyTolradi posted:

Nice mbeltdown

All he has left now are the canned responses to his posts. Truly a fall from grace.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Lol if we're back at the Swedish Mafia and Gizmondo.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

So you're going back on your twitter stance on Friday of releasing everything and getting sued?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Derek Smart delivers on blogs like Chris Roberts delivers on video games.

Lots of promises on potential while the delivered product is a bloated mess everyone has already seen.

Release the lawsuit bait Derek.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
guys uh we worship derek because we're the cult so please kindly reprogram derek promised nothing and you're an idiot if you thought he'd have a blog ready this isn't for the feint of heart

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Terebus posted:

So you're going back on your twitter stance on Friday of releasing everything and getting sued?

Derek's going to take his ball and go home.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

What's the stuff in the corners? Decoration or acoustic foam?

It is acoustic foam due to the way the office is setup. A small sealed rectangular box with smooth walls, inside a bigger bunker-like building with exposed ceilings. Looks trendy, but you'd probably want to be wearing headphones in the open office sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Beer for new thread OP!

• Locked thread