Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

alf_pogs posted:

this thread has persevered through some really odd and dark times. all hail The Thread

This thread is the juggernaut, bitch.

someone else please photoshop Derek onto Juggernaut.

Scratch that, we're indestructible, and therefore he should be Luke Cage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Raskolnikov posted:

:mad: I want a refund on my 500 or so shitposts.

Please don't start taking those back before I do.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Eldragon posted:

Sorry, Derek changed the TOS last June. You agreed to the new terms by logging into the forumsallowing yourself to think of Derek even once.

FTFY.

Also, I hear there's a binding arbitration clause involving Legal.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Well, I know of at least one person who didn't drop his pants.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Raskolnikov posted:

I watched a "Let's Play" of that for hours. It's the type of game I would hate to play but the setting was so good I wanted to watch it unfold.

I keep forgetting that game is out now

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

milk milk lemonade posted:

drat it Derek you rear end in a top hat you don't have poo poo

Goddamn content locust. We're still being well fed by CitizenConthemcuswegotnothing, we should not succumb to gluttony.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Samizdata posted:

Also, I hear there's a binding arbitration clause involving Legal.

Are parties not allowed to disclose that they're in arbitration or subject to a previous agreement?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, Derek Smart is extremely good and owns.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Derek Smart was right?

More like /r/dereksmart was right!

Everyone should buy a Polaris as an apology to CIG.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CrazyTolradi posted:

Also, I'd say Chris Roberts for OP, but we'd be waiting forever for a final OP that'd never surface, with slideshows and fancy rendered videos displaying what the final OP might look like but guys don't hold him to a date for when the final OP will be ready.

So basically what we already have, only with less PowerPoint or videos?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

MoMA is that you?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D1E posted:

Are parties not allowed to disclose that they're in arbitration or subject to a previous agreement?

You didn't read the TOS, yet you have thought of Derek. :sigh: Clearly you don't understand shitpost development... Seriously, it's all in your Shitvocati agreement.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I want to start off by affirming my libertarian beliefs. Now let me transition from this to telling you why people shouldn't be meanies to things I like on the internet.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Well, I know of at least one person who didn't drop his pants.

I always love when they use big words.

Also love when all this proof of industry experts being proven wrong.. somehow. :allears:

I've already gotten my money's worth!

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I keep forgetting that game is out now

You know what's not out now?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dreams are being fulfilled. Right now. By CIG.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
I think it's time to rewatch firefly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hey guys, I'm a registered poster from 2014 and I have an avatar and premium so I've been supporting these forums for quite some time but it distresses me that you guys would be so anti-mod what with Derek Smart being a mod and all and I have to ask myself where this community got it all? Ever since Derek failed to release his latest blog I'm noticing a huge trend of a few shitposters causing an uproar when this is standard procedure for many other leading bloggers around the world. Frankly, I don't see why the mods tolerate such behaviour from this once-proud community.

Derek, keep doing what you're doing!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

VealCutlet posted:

I think it's time to rewatch firefly.

Just wait for Chris Roberts to crib it right. Joss Wheden only wishes he had half the talent of The Roberts.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pilz posted:

Star Wars 1313?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pilz posted:

The Saboteur 2?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hey guys, I'm a registered poster from 2014 and I have an avatar and premium so I've been supporting these forums for quite some time but it distresses me that you guys would be so anti-mod what with Derek Smart being a mod and all and I have to ask myself where this community got it all? Ever since Derek failed to release his latest blog I'm noticing a huge trend of a few shitposters causing an uproar when this is standard procedure for many other leading bloggers around the world. Frankly, I don't see why the mods tolerate such behaviour from this once-proud community.

Derek, keep doing what you're doing!

I'm trying to keep relevant but I support this endeavor.

I just don't get it. Derek has already shown that his blogs are cutting edge and even though everybody said it wasn't possible, here we are despite them.

I think it's just big industry trying to keep the thread down. They're afraid. Very afraid.

I'm buying in for 10 more accounts with LTI. Really the only way we can support this is to spite buy tons of accounts and packages.

Seeing this thread achieve full thread status and Derek release his final blog is all I have left in life to look forward to.

Everything else is hollow, like death.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Pilz posted:

Dune Generations?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame MoMA works for who he does. Otherwise Derek could have had him do the legal reviews for the blogs, and we'd all have been able to read it days ago :sigh:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Titanic posted:

I'm trying to keep relevant but I support this endeavor.

I just don't get it. Derek has already shown that his blogs are cutting edge and even though everybody said it wasn't possible, here we are despite them.

I think it's just big industry trying to keep the thread down. They're afraid. Very afraid.

I'm buying in for 10 more accounts with LTI. Really the only way we can support this is to spite buy tons of accounts and packages.

Seeing this thread achieve full thread status and Derek release his final blog is all I have left in life to look forward to.

Everything else is hollow, like death.

Time to donhate more avatars and red-text. I'M DOING MY PART O7

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

cool new Polack jokes posted:

How could anyone look at what they're proposing and not think, there's no way they could possibly do this? The scope is beyond realistic- but the backers are just going, Wow, they're doing the impossible! It's really insane.

Also the ship designs are lame and derivative.

This is one of the things about SC that I find so baffling. You'd think anyone who has been paying at least a little attention to the games they play would have an inkling of what is and isn't possible. But no, backers look at SC and think the only reason nothing similar has been tried before is because of a lack of imagination.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Whenever I meet a likeminded goon at one of the many SomethingAwful Conventions I make sure to strike a T-Pose and shout out EAU SEVER! so they know we're on the same side.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Spakstik posted:

This is one of the things about SC that I find so baffling. You'd think anyone who has been paying at least a little attention to the games they play would have an inkling of what is and isn't possible. But no, backers look at SC and think the only reason nothing similar has been tried before is because of a lack of imagination.

You make the mistake of thinking they play any video games made since Freelancer

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

this video scared my cat, and also me

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You make the mistake of thinking they play any video games made since Freelancer

To be COMPLETELY fair to the backers, Star Citizen has a lot of money. I'm not personally convinced that given 120 million dollars and a few years, a few experienced devs couldn't put together a team and pop out a game that fulfills all of Star Citizen's most meaningful promises. Stuff like tons of planets with really good procgen + hand polishing, a bunch of ships, a bunch of economic management minigames (let players manage a corp for farming, mining, etc, rather than having to run out and do the grunt stuff themselves, also cuts down on overhead since its' basically a series of spreadsheet games), rudimentary base building (space station building could be the easiest thing ever, you buy a chassis that is a different map and just place rooms on the map and decorate them like in Warframe), random global events and a few different mission paths that could be expanded on as the game gets bigger. gently caress true seamless transitions, gently caress actual earth-sized planets, gently caress MUH FIDELITY. You'd have a drat fine game. The issue has always been misuse of the money, the scope creep is almost secondary to that.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Of all the logic gymnastics that backers do, here's the one thing I don't understand.

How in their minds, it will go from poo poo to amazing. Right now, it's poo poo. Almost everything about it is poo poo (the models are cool, if bland). Netcode is poo poo. Instances are poo poo. Animations are poo poo. Clipping is poo poo. T-posing is poo poo.

But somehow this giant pile of poo poo is going to magically transform like some kind of poo poo-caterpillar into a beautiful and not poo poo-butterfly.

idgi. :psyduck:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

DigitalMocking posted:

Of all the logic gymnastics that backers do, here's the one thing I don't understand.

How in their minds, it will go from poo poo to amazing. Right now, it's poo poo. Almost everything about it is poo poo (the models are cool, if bland). Netcode is poo poo. Instances are poo poo. Animations are poo poo. Clipping is poo poo. T-posing is poo poo.

But somehow this giant pile of poo poo is going to magically transform like some kind of poo poo-caterpillar into a beautiful and not poo poo-butterfly.

it's alpha

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

LGD posted:

it's loving baffling to imply Christians are hypocrites who "pick and choose" not to follow dietary/clothing stuff in loving Leviticus/Deuteronomy when the New Testament addresses this very specifically and explicitly in Matthew/Mark, and the relevant passages/theological considerations are not exactly obscure

I don't know what he was trying to accomplish beyond making himself look foolish

:golfclap:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

holy :lol:

quote:

Look, CIG is a lot like a non-profit, funded by pledges and backers. Their mandate is to create an awesome game, while we, the backers and (lets call us what we really are, art patrons) fund that goal. We throw lots of cash at it because we care about the final product.

A AAA game company (above the level of the game's producer, at any rate) cares about one thing: quarterly profits and how Wall Street will interpret their current and future revenue totals.

Those are two VERY different concerns.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

DigitalMocking posted:

You don't understand development.

Under the hood the pipelines have all been laid and ready to go! The previous two years following the work spent building up the studios have been spent wisely on laying the foundations for the content to be streamed out quickly and efficiently. The core engine work necessary to provide a solid platform for rapid improvements has all been done, with intensive behind-the-scenes effort preparing the ground for an explosion of assets and gameplay. The white boxes have all been assembled and in a secret internal build all is in readiness save for a coat of final polish. The cogs have all been painstakingly shaped and meshed together, the clock is simply lacking the hands and face. Now that the central mechanics have been tuned and tweaked to perfection a flow of front end components will quickly allow the game to take shape. The ground has been prepared, and the concrete poured, it's just a case of raising the walls and dropping the roof on. In the background the principle controllers and models have been assembled, it's just a matter of applying a view. The strawberries, jelly and custard have been poured in and the long wait for it to set is over; all it needs is the cream and sprinkles.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hey speaking of what one competent person can do in their spare time, go download SpaceEngine. It's free, looks amazing, and has reasonably realistic procedural generation for everything from planets and moons to galaxies.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So basically what we already have, only with less PowerPoint or videos?
Derek gets there in the end, sure he doesn't have a $125mil budget, but he just does his thing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So I went to the trenches to check the state of the battle and reddit has managed to regroup and decide that the con, while not super great, showed incredible technology that hints at all the progress they have made. Spirits are high and wallets are being relaxed, there are even post by demigods like discolando and, well, discolando because Ben is too busy I guess.

The official forums, meanwhile, are just distracted over the most banal poo poo ever. Are the sand nomads human? are the worms too dune? is there too much gore? housing? cost of crew? can we get a wingsuit? (like LOD), how about getting more expensive polaris variants? $1,500 seems fair.

quote:

So as with anyother popular ship that generates a massive profit, I forsee CIG commimg up with Variants for the Polaris. I would assume they could range from $850.00 to $1,500 USD.

I personally hope they will add a capship weapon option. Example loss of the two automated missle turrets for a smaller version of the Idris ship to ship gun.

I hope the other variant would be a hospital ship. With the hangar bay holding a cutlas red for Search and Rescue.

I could see CIG even adding a trading version for the Human equivalent of the Banu Merchantman.

What other Variants would you like to see?

Edit / Update:
As many have pointed out they would see moduler options. Since i can't edit the pole, please vote for which varriant or Module you would like see offered.

Lets face it this scam will last longer than bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember the powerpoint slide that mentioned loving DREADNAUGHTS? :laffo:

• Locked thread