Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Dark Off posted:

check the clouds

proof all of this was placed for the demo, the clouds, the trees, the rocks, everything is the same environment wise... nothing is dynamic but the fights and you can move how you like in that confined space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ComfyPants posted:

They should pay you for working harder than CIG at trying to release a competent presentation.

i immediately regret not sending this to CIG privately. :( my monies

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
All talking points in five minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KbAWBVRoqQ

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

WebDog posted:

The big problem they have is that level of detail in the demo isn't possible planet wide, you only have 64 square meters squared to run around in so active zones will look detailed but the rest will be generic heightmapped terrain.

This is true, remember Chris SPECIFICALLY POINTED OUT in the demo they has traveled 24km only from the landing point

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

No cognitive dissonance too jarring for these guys.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

EminusSleepus posted:

Derek Smart do you know who these guys are?

edit: I know the middle pedophile looking guy is Fartwin

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

we're not talking about tetris :smug:

i dunno a bunch of random misshapen and randomly falling pieces that people keep trying to make into perfect rows? sounds right to me

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

very apt. :golfclap:

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Trying to catch up from before citcon, anybody got a link to a summary? Anything funny happen?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

bend it like baked ham posted:

Trying to catch up from before citcon, anybody got a link to a summary? Anything funny happen?

A powerpoint happened. That is literally all.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

dereks blog has never contained anything that hasn't previously been covered in this thread

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You make the mistake of thinking they play any video games made since Freelancer

Or that they think.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

bend it like baked ham posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg_7SZOg2iA

Full disclosure, it's mine but at the same time it gives you what you wanted.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Time to donhate more avatars and red-text. I'M DOING MY PART O7

If anybody would like to buy me just a Smarties (and a Monstergeddon) gang tag, that would be lovely. I just hope no one digitally rapes my avvie/text.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This thread is the juggernaut, bitch.

someone else please photoshop Derek onto Juggernaut.

Scratch that, we're indestructible, and therefore he should be Luke Cage

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

:golfclap:

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
There's a hugely upvoted post on /r/gaming of the gif showing the warp from planet surface to planet surface in the supposed editor demo.

It really was just shiny enough to fool stupid people. Lots of unironic "this is how NMS should have done it" sentiments.

A comment with 5,000 upvotes:

quote:

Something that doesn't really come across in the videos where they quantum jump like that is that moving like that is not a loading screen. You are actually moving through the space in a persistent instance. You could also cruise from the first to the second planet, and it might take hours, but its not just magically warping you there.
CIG hasn't delivered anything beyond a tiny "system" with a handful of stations to warp between, but in these fuckwits' minds the Star Citizen universe exists and is persistent.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Isn't PC Gamer one of the few mags that have consistently only ever posted positive things about SC and SQ42? As in, this would be the first time ever they even mention some kind of setback? And suddenly, like magic, they're a dishonest and corrupt “publication”.

:classiclol:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Star Citizen: Sunk cost fallacying like its $19.99

(It's $750 though)

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Lackadaisical Phraseologist

Money: More important than people. - Noobifier

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

10% of these retards want to spend $750.00 or more to play space garbage man, others are willing to fork out for different tedious job simulator 2943.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Why is there a dense savannah right next to a sand desert wedged in between, and at roughly the same altitude as, snow-capped mountains?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Salt n Reba McEntire posted:

You don't understand development.

Under the hood the pipelines have all been laid and ready to go! The previous two years following the work spent building up the studios have been spent wisely on laying the foundations for the content to be streamed out quickly and efficiently. The core engine work necessary to provide a solid platform for rapid improvements has all been done, with intensive behind-the-scenes effort preparing the ground for an explosion of assets and gameplay. The white boxes have all been assembled and in a secret internal build all is in readiness save for a coat of final polish. The cogs have all been painstakingly shaped and meshed together, the clock is simply lacking the hands and face. Now that the central mechanics have been tuned and tweaked to perfection a flow of front end components will quickly allow the game to take shape. The ground has been prepared, and the concrete poured, it's just a case of raising the walls and dropping the roof on. In the background the principle controllers and models have been assembled, it's just a matter of applying a view. The strawberries, jelly and custard have been poured in and the long wait for it to set is over; all it needs is the cream and sprinkles.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tippis posted:

Why is there a dense savannah right next to a sand desert wedged in between, and at roughly the same altitude as, snow-capped mountains?
Fidelity. It's always fidelity.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 12, 2016

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tippis posted:

Isn't PC Gamer one of the few mags that have consistently only ever posted positive things about SC and SQ42? As in, this would be the first time ever they even mention some kind of setback? And suddenly, like magic, they're a dishonest and corrupt “publication”.

:classiclol:

A lot of gaming journalism is garbage, but there are good sites out there and good writers. This myth of all gaming journalism being garbage that gamers have built up is a bit silly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

All the behind the scenes stuff has been finished and is working perfectly, all that's left is literally every visible sign of progress. This is just a coincidence that it looks like they've made no progress.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Posting from the past, but the idea that chris roberts is being compared to elon musk when the latter may put people on mars before the former's game comes out really tickles me.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tippis posted:

That's procedural refactoring for you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:five:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
29 years to deliver SC is a reasonable expectation.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hamburger Test posted:

29 years to deliver SC is a reasonable expectation.

What he said is basically the equivilent of someone in the 1980's saying "I'll happily play Cuddly Qbert/Hungry Horace for the next 30 years, regardless of what else comes out".

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I stopped reading after the first line.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sabreseven posted:

What he said is basically the equivilent of someone in the 1980's saying "I'll happily play Cuddly Qbert/Hungry Horace for the next 30 years, regardless of what else comes out".

Took me about that long to finish Dragon's Lair, HEYYO! :hfive: :dukedog: :respek: :smuggo:

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Are they getting any more money at this time?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Orions Lord posted:

Are they getting any more money at this time?

Yes

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Took me about that long to finish Dragon's Lair, HEYYO! :hfive: :dukedog: :respek: :smuggo:

Dragons Lair is friggin awesome though. :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sabreseven posted:

Dragons Lair is friggin awesome though. :)

True, but would Star Citizen be awesome after 30 years of development?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Theranos, still limping, smacked with fraud lawsuit by big, mad investor

Obviously, this entitled baby of an investor doesn't know just how many employees they got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Sabreseven posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1836974/

• Locked thread