Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGmUNPiIcBb/

:gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Rofl at "A trash collector?"

"Yeah sweetheart, I spent $1,500 on a ship so I can collect garbage in a game."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Took me about that long to finish Dragon's Lair, HEYYO! :hfive: :dukedog: :respek: :smuggo:

The sad thing is, Dragon's Lair is less than 13 minutes long. You have to wonder how many hours (and quarters) they managed to stretch that into on average…

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

True, but would Star Citizen be awesome after 30 years of development?

Well that would be 10920 days of extra mocap, if, and only if they take Christmas day off every year.

But, by then Star Marine would be a matter of weeks, not months away. :)

Derek will no doubt still be warlording, this thread will still be here, and Crobblers won't remember what it is he's working on, so no real changes there.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ripptide posted:

True, but at this stage of their "development", it just appears like a desperate grab at another fresh community.

Posting from the past but how on earth would SC code garbage pass the quality protocols of Microsoft to release in their consoles anyways?

This can´t really be a serious consideration by CIG, even if they wanted to. They must be simply having a go at it for the kicks.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRmmKCOI0Zs&t=9s

ahmini
May 5, 2009
It really has been quite fascinating watching the self-delusion slowly develop after Citcon. Immediately after the presentation, when people were reacting as individuals before some kind of group narrative could be formed, there was a large amount of confusion and disappointment. Could it be that the CRobbler wasn't being entirely honest about the state of the game? Could it be that the game can't be delivered as pitched? Real concern was in the air.

However, in just a couple of days we've seen some quite fascinating preaching by the high priests. Those showing uncertainty are ungrateful and impatient. How could they deny the mastery of CRobblers ground breaking, visionary "procedural" planet demo that is almost certainly ready to go in the game right now if not for just a little more polish?? The boring Citcon history lesson wasn't just for the old timers, it was for newcomers who might not know a lot about the great work that is Star Citizen. How selfish of people to complain about the CRobbler teaching new cultcommunity members about the glorious history of the game! And what of SQ42? Clearly the community is not ready to receive the mana from heaven that is an SQ42 demo. CRobbler realised that ungrateful faithless backsliders would criticise an SQ42 run-through which wasn't anything other than perfect, so held it back deliberately as a mark of his great honesty and trustworthiness.

So now we see stuff that basically reads like a reformed evangelist. "I foolishly doubted our Lord CRobbler after the sermon on the Citcon Mount, but now I realise the error of my ways. I allowed worldly thoughts to corrupt my mind and was blinded to His greatness. I see now that the presentation was the work of genius and I've never been more excited for the future of Star Citizen!"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/OC3D/status/786117959064358913

:gary:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

why oh why would you remind everyone that you own that completely superfluous thing so complex that you need to train people in its use

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen single-player delayed indefinitely

quote:

CryEngine was never designed to deliver the kind of title Chris Roberts, the CEO of CIG and the creator of game franchises like Wing Commander, wanted to create. Overhauling the engine has, according to some CIG developers, been more work than actually writing a new engine from scratch would have been.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

why oh why would you remind everyone that you own that completely superfluous thing so complex that you need to train people in its use

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLZ7NqeDjkp/

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

time to pack up!! lol

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

trucutru posted:

Well, I know of at least one person who didn't drop his pants.

Poster in this image (Wendigo?) knows nothing.

The average time frame for a AAA game is around 18 months...
Sometimes if your lucky you get 24 months.
If you hit the jackpot you get three years.

Anything longer than that and the project is usually in trouble, people get fired for f'king things up, and other people get parachuted in to fix things and get something out of the door.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Not King of Kong or Man vs Snake?

:mediocre:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Hasn't most of their "base technology" been complete for like two years?

I mean of course it wasn't but haven't they said it was

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Codezombie posted:

Poster in this image (Wendigo?) knows nothing.

The average time frame for a AAA game is around 18 months...
Sometimes if your lucky you get 24 months.
If you hit the jackpot you get three years.

Anything longer than that and the project is usually in trouble, people get fired for f'king things up, and other people get parachuted in to fix things and get something out of the door.

You got a lot of nerve coming here and claiming to know more about game development than whoever that is

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not King of Kong or Man vs Snake?

:mediocre:

I thought the Tetris one was actually better

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sandi isn't smiling out of ffear that her other mouth would pop out and try to eat her cast members.

Sandi, thats not how you get better roles!

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
But I should have linked King of Kong too

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

The sad thing is, Dragon's Lair is less than 13 minutes long. You have to wonder how many hours (and quarters) they managed to stretch that into on average…

Didnt it also get a movie/tv show as well?

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Pilz posted:

To be COMPLETELY fair to the backers, Star Citizen has a lot of money. I'm not personally convinced that given 120 million dollars and a few years, a few experienced devs couldn't put together a team and pop out a game that fulfills all of Star Citizen's most meaningful promises. Stuff like tons of planets with really good procgen + hand polishing, a bunch of ships, a bunch of economic management minigames (let players manage a corp for farming, mining, etc, rather than having to run out and do the grunt stuff themselves, also cuts down on overhead since its' basically a series of spreadsheet games), rudimentary base building (space station building could be the easiest thing ever, you buy a chassis that is a different map and just place rooms on the map and decorate them like in Warframe), random global events and a few different mission paths that could be expanded on as the game gets bigger. gently caress true seamless transitions, gently caress actual earth-sized planets, gently caress MUH FIDELITY. You'd have a drat fine game. The issue has always been misuse of the money, the scope creep is almost secondary to that.

Chatting to someone in the canteen today who worked on APB today. He said that one of the reasons that project got into so much trouble was, ironically, because they had too much money, in their words, it just meant people wasted a lot of time messing with ideas and by the time the money ran out, they were all "Ah poo poo what do we do now!"

Having lots of money is nice, but its not what gets games made, deadlines are what gets games made...

horrible horrible deadlines, and the words that strikes terror into a teams heart. "No, the schedule will not slip any further, as we are already booked for submission testing at SCEA and Microsoft"

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 12, 2016

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You got a lot of nerve coming here and claiming to know more about game development than whoever that is

To be fair you don't know if I am actually chatting poo either... ;)

So I'll link to my Moby profile. You can decide if I am just linking to a random moby profile or not.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,86162/

(I really need to update it, Dirt Rally is missing off that profile, and I did'nt do enough work on F1 2015 to really deserve the credit either. )
(Edit: I also apologise for Simon the Sorcerer 3D... I was young... and needed the money... )

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hamburger Test posted:

I thought the Tetris one was actually better

Really? Ive only ever heard good things about the other two and literally nothing about this one. Time to give it a watch then!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_xhTrXIvko

Black Dossier - Help us bring this action packed superhero mini series to life!

Black Dossier IMDB

quote:

$1000 USD
SPEAKING ROLE PACKAGE
You will receive a WALK ON SPEAKING ROLE in Black Dossier(Travel and Accommodations not Included) + Autograph Picture with Director + Personalized Autograph pilot script + BLU-RAY/DVD series (when commercially available) + invitation to wrap party + digital download of the pilot + commemorative postcard
0 out of 5 claimed
ESTIMATED JANUARY 2017

https://www.instagram.com/p/BK_zmIVDJlh/

AP fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 12, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Hasn't most of their "base technology" been complete for like two years?

I mean of course it wasn't but haven't they said it was

The HQ is in California; the base of the entire structure shifts ever so slightly on a weekly basis.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I've no opinion on that game/webseries thing, never heard of it, but will be watching to see Lethality swoop down on that backer reward like a blowfly on a bucket of poop.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Marching Powder posted:

That instagram belongs to the local artisanal cafe they hired out to train them on their completely superfluous thing.

Their location is something I hadn't looked at before. It has some interesting stuff - https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/506319545/

There's one guy there who was obviously very taken with the coffee - he has like five separate photos of his cups, cups people have made for him, and training on the machine that takes place five weeks before the already linked one.

Oh, and there's this from June.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BG478YqOMOk/?taken-at=506319545
#marketing #pr #publicrelations #berbay #diamond #diamonds #marketingtips #success #successful

Best marketer ever since I was a little girl.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Sabreseven posted:

I've no opinion on that game/webseries thing, never heard of it, but will be watching to see Lethality swoop down on that backer reward like a blowfly on a bucket of poop.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BK_zmIVDJlh/

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Codezombie posted:

To be fair you don't know if I am actually chatting poo either... ;)

So I'll link to my Moby profile. You can decide if I am just linking to a random moby profile or not.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,86162/

(I really need to update it, Dirt Rally is missing off that profile, and I did'nt do enough work on F1 2015 to really deserve the credit either. )
(Edit: I also apologise for Simon the Sorcerer 3D... I was young... and needed the money... )

BLC was great fun!

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Really? Ive only ever heard good things about the other two and literally nothing about this one. Time to give it a watch then!

To be fair, I hadn't heard about Man vs Snake, so there's one for me to watch! And not taking anything away from King of Kong that is really good too.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Theirbnb

quote:

After trading in their stable incomes for the pursuit of their dreams, two LA roommates rent out their couch to transients and are forced to deal with the colorful personalities that each one brings.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Oh, I see.

Are there no laws about moonlighting over there? gently caress, shes got fingers rammed in more pies then Ben after a 'starve' day.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Rest of cast listed alphabetically:
Sandi Gardiner ... Dee
Aaron R Landon ... Abel
Conner Floyd ... Bryan

Using which alphabet?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hamburger Test posted:

Sandi Gardiner ... Dee
Aaron R Landon ... Abel
Conner Floyd ... Bryan

Using which alphabet?

Wonder how hard she stomped her feet to get that. :D

You would think though, with all this practice at acting good, she should've actually learned how to by now.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

It's funny because AJ Rochester has actually been on real Australian TV shows, she was the host of Australian Biggest Loser for a long while, so most people are going to know who you're talking about when you say her name, but no-one here knows who the gently caress Sandi Gardiner is.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hamburger Test posted:

Sandi Gardiner ... Dee
Aaron R Landon ... Abel
Conner Floyd ... Bryan

Using which alphabet?

Sandi is the first letter of every alphabet

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sabreseven posted:

Wonder how hard she stomped her feet :homebrew: to get that. :D

You would think though, with all this practice at acting good, she should've actually learned how to by now.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 12, 2016

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Fair play, good correction :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tippis posted:

What doesn't come across in there is quite how gruelling a 13-minute minimum quick time event is, especially when you can't memorise it because all the scenes are played in random order, and the fight scenes especially you often need to 'fail' theatrically before you can beat the monster by finally pressing Sword. It's loving brutal. My friend rebuilt a Dragon's Lair machine and you could easily burn $10 of goes just in trying to see the same scene again so you could figure out what you had to do.

• Locked thread