Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Policenaut posted:

40cm dirty sack of 'CREAN COFFEE' for you to put on your head
But no chainsaw. I feel robbed and I haven't even done anything yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Dont worry the chainsaw controller has patched in compatiblity

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Policenaut posted:

Capcom has some kind of weird Resident Evil 7 Complete Edition thing but only in Japan, and it's $160 US.

The running theme for it is the five senses. There are actual rosemary and green herb seeds bundled for you to plant and smell
I am disappointed they didn't go all the way and had some scientists create GMO replicas of green/red/blue herbs. We can make glow in the dark mice, how hard can it be to make some plants a different color?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I am disappointed they didn't go all the way and had some scientists create GMO replicas of green/red/blue herbs. We can make glow in the dark mice, how hard can it be to make some plants a different color?
Tbh if they tried that they'd probably just accidentally create the T-Virus somehow instead. It would just be Raccoon City all over again!

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

The only RE games I've never played are 6 and Rev2...which should I pick up in the psn sale? I'm leaning towards 6 because of all the gushing I hear about it's mercenaries mode but I did also love raid mode in Rev1.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ceramics posted:

The only RE games I've never played are 6 and Rev2...which should I pick up in the psn sale? I'm leaning towards 6 because of all the gushing I hear about it's mercenaries mode but I did also love raid mode in Rev1.

RE6. The Raid mode in Rev 2 is a shadow of it's former self.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Ceramics posted:

Rev 2 has great writing and a fun storyline and probably gameplay that's easier to wrap your head around. That said, the raid mode isn't as good as in the first one and RE6 mercs is great, especially since they added No Mercy mode which adds shitloads of enemies. I do think Rev2 is the safer choice since 6 is super divisive.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Crean Coffee

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

If you're going solo and couldn't give a poo poo about extra modes, then Revelations 2 is by far the safer option. RE6 is a loving riot in co-op though (especially once you tackle No Hope), at least if you're partnered with a mate and not some clueless random pubbie. No Mercy Mercs is just the icing on the cake.

Edit:
Speaking of RE6 Mercs, was playing earlier and noticed Helena has a handgun on her second outfit but it's not a selectable weapon:

What is this nonsense.

(Alright so she can't go batting things with the baton either but that's not the point.)

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 9, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
helena being disappointing and useless is par for the course

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She has that sick hydra combo and is okay in my book

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

She's my main (with Outfit 2) because I like making things much more difficult than they should be. And she has a cool hat :v:

(That and I abuse Quickshots all the loving time with the QS Damage Increase skill, which often turns the Sniper Rifle into a magical OHK "You Win!" device with very common ammo in No Mercy; few things actually survive the shot and only end up stunned for a follow-up kick to the face anyway.)

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Whoever designed the end of RE 5 deserves to be shot. It is terrible. Took me a while to figure out I had to be caught to advance and still having a ton of trouble taking wesker out.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
He wasn't shot, he was lost in an unfortunate boulder accident.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Artic Puma posted:

Whoever designed the end of RE 5 deserves to be shot. It is terrible. Took me a while to figure out I had to be caught to advance and still having a ton of trouble taking wesker out.
What? Pretty sure that being caught by Wesker results in being flung into the inferno. Which bit in particular?

Also, RE: Survivor is a great game:
http://i.imgur.com/z1dlfua.gifv

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ceramics posted:

Play 6 because Rev 2 is awful without a co-op partner since not only is the AI braindead, each character functions differently.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Play 6 because Rev 2 is awful without a co-op partner since not only is the AI braindead, each character functions differently.

I think the reason I don't like Rev 2 as much is because of the constant character switching. That and the kind of bland environments. Some of it's cool like the starting prison and the village, but then you also have to go through a sewer and a boring mine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm not sure recommending 6 over Rev 2 because of 'brain dead AI' really works.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

What? Pretty sure that being caught by Wesker results in being flung into the inferno. Which bit in particular?

At the very beginning if you knock over the boulder before a cutscene happens I think it is impossible to jump across it, like the prompt just won't appear. The cutscene only happens when you let wesker get close enough before going to the boulder. Sorry if I am not explaining it well.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Artic Puma posted:

At the very beginning if you knock over the boulder before a cutscene happens I think it is impossible to jump across it, like the prompt just won't appear. The cutscene only happens when you let wesker get close enough before going to the boulder. Sorry if I am not explaining it well.

Chris was intended to be able to jump over the boulder and run to pull Sheva up from the ledge, but they took out the prompt and the Sheva player has to wail on the button for a minute straight for no real reason other than ~challenge~. In the Wesker boss room in 5-3, there's a door that he goes behind (and everyone else in the cutscene) towards an elevator. You were also supposed to run back there yourself to end the level but they took that out too.

If you noclip back there, you get the prompts to use it and everything. It will also end the level :shrug:

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

As much as I like the RE5, I always thought the final boss was terrible. For some reason they designed it to go in a real specific order, as in wesker goes after chris->sheva shoots wesker in the back->wesker goes after sheva->sheva runs into the qte->chris shoots wesker in the back->sheva climbs up, chris punches boulder. At least that's the intended solution as I remember it. How I ALWAYS first try to do it is chris punches boulder, now sheva has a mega-difficult qte for some reason and wesker walks toward chris with an instakill attack. If you could go over the boulder and help sheva like it seems you should, it would be very easy but they artificially make it near-impossible to do it that way. I think I only finally realized the right way to fight wesker on my third RE5 HD playthrough. Might be I'm a bit dense though.

e: actually it might be pretty easy if you have an AI sheva with you since they know what to do and can't fail the qte. Perhaps it is my fondness of co-op that was my downfall afterall

smuh fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 9, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

As far as the whole fight goes, when playing as Chris (and after the bridge collapses) I go up the slope, give Wesker time to follow me (with his FURIOUS PACE OF 3MPH), then jump down and punch the boulder into the lava (meanwhile Sheva is attempting the world's slowest one-handed pull-up). Once the boulder's launched and Sheva climbs back up, Wesker should still be slowly moving towards the point to jump down after you (Chris), which in turn gives plenty of time to run back around and lead the idiot in circles, allowing Sheva to run on down and jump across the lava via the newly-placed boulder platform. After this it's simply a case of letting Wesker follow you (Chris) back up to the higher ground so his giant obvious weakness is revealed and exposed in a small cutscene; then you can both just blast the loving poo poo out of him from each side.

That probably reads like a load of unhelpful word salad, but it makes sense to me. Also, I've only ever played the end of RE5 in co-op, so the AI might not be quite so smart in following simple ideas.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm not sure recommending 6 over Rev 2 because of 'brain dead AI' really works.

In 6 the AI partner doesn't matter, but in Rev 2 you need that other character to actually be effective and character switching is a terrible mechanic in situations like the ones presented in the game. It works for GTA V, it doesn't work for Resident Evil Revelations 2.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

in Rev 2 you need that other character to actually be effective and character switching is a terrible mechanic in situations like the ones presented in the game.
An example situation being..?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In 6 the AI partner doesn't matter, but in Rev 2 you need that other character to actually be effective and character switching is a terrible mechanic in situations like the ones presented in the game. It works for GTA V, it doesn't work for Resident Evil Revelations 2.

Hmmm, okay

*plays 6, dies screaming 'help me' while the AI partner stares dispassionately in your direction with cold, dead eyes*

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Oh my god the AI in 6 does NOT give a poo poo about you dying, it seems like it deliberately slows down to walk speed when getting close to your battered, screaming body

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like my RE5 partner.

Manac0r I have not forgotten! :argh:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

smuh posted:

Oh my god the AI in 6 does NOT give a poo poo about you dying, it seems like it deliberately slows down to walk speed when getting close to your battered, screaming body

Happened to me when playing as Piers and you're like fighting an ambush of J'avo on a fire escape? My memory is spotty but it's after you pass through the playground. A barrel exploded, I went into dying mode, and Chris gaze zero fucks about assisting me. Did the medic upgrade or whatever it was called increase your chances of the AI partner coming to help, or did they still just stand there, gleefully withholding the recovery tabs?

My worst co-op partner fail was in RE5. I was playing with some rando, got grabbed by one of the bodies on the conveyor belt and got dead because the guy playing Sheva was picking up treasure.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 11, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
http://healhisassseabass.tumblr.com/post/149406660729/i-spent-a-lot-to-put-together-these-transmog-sets

Somebody made some pretty decent transmog sets for Claire's CV outfit in World of Warcraft.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

LadyPictureShow posted:

My worst co-op partner fail was in RE5. I was playing with some rando, got grabbed by one of the bodies on the conveyor belt and got dead because the guy playing Sheva was picking up treasure.
I hate that section. It's not even difficult, it's just that the bodies have some absolutely horseshit range with that lunge-grab.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Amy good hints/tips for Resident Evil (REmake)? I'm about to start the PS4 version.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

1redflag posted:

Amy good hints/tips for Resident Evil (REmake)? I'm about to start the PS4 version.

Not really a tip but just a heads up that the difficulty screen is kind of misleading

It looks like Easy, Medium, Hard but it's actually Very Easy, Easy, Normal

Also I would maybe recommend playing as Jill if you've never played RE1 before because she has a bigger inventory than Chris

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

1redflag posted:

Dump the knife as soon as you can. Never carry around herbs as Chris. If you are fast enough, you can get out of the mansion while only fighting 2 crimson heads, but this most likely won't happen on your first playthrough.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

1redflag posted:

Use Jill first for a larger inventory and overall easier time (careful though, she's incredibly fragile), and be aware that the game's not supposed to be an easy and forgiving ride. If you die, there's no "continue from last checkpoint" option or any such hand-holding/anti-frustration feature. You are responsible for saving your progress, and you can't just savescum like a scrub either. Avoiding enemies to save ammo is generally recommended, especially early on for a few reasons that I won't go into and spoil.

Also get rid of the knife as soon as possible because it's an awful piece of poo poo which only serves to take up space.

Have fun!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

1redflag posted:

Learn to identify the areas you'll be visiting a lot, kill the enemies there and only there or you'll run out of ammo fast.

Use Jill.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

1redflag posted:

Look at your map all the time. One of the few nice things REmake does is that the map will tell you if there are still items in a room you've visited. I think you have to have found the area map for that to happen but I'm not sure.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

1redflag posted:

When you find Forrest, don't go over to the herbs pot.

Aiming up w/ the shotgun sometimes gets your defense dagger back.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

Look at your map all the time. One of the few nice things REmake does is that the map will tell you if there are still items in a room you've visited. I think you have to have found the area map for that to happen but I'm not sure.
Nah, it'll track any explored rooms regardless of whether or not the relevant area map has been found.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Well, that's just adorable.

http://www.play-asia.com/nendoroid-no-681-resident-evil-chris-redfield/13/70al05?sc1=N458891139

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I do not advise scrolling down on that page. :catstare: