Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Crazy Achmed posted:

I honestly have no idea about what quinte/5 is in foil now - I've just googled it and ended up even more confused than before. There seem to be a bunch of arguments over whether it's a high or lowline parry, and even if it's tip up or tip down. Can anyone enlighten me?

I have seen some people pull off a sabre-ish quinte/5 in foil, sweeping upwards but keeping the hand lower than you would in sabre since head isn't target, and the blade angled towards the opponent instead of more perpendicular to the piste. You can riposte from here in to your opponent's outside line under their arm. Kind of like a sideways version of that prime/1 parry with the flicky riposte, used as an emergency "oh poo poo sweep across the entire torso dammit" parry versus people attacking to high line with a relatively high hand position.

My coach has demonstrated it as about a mid-point between 6 and a saber 5 -- covering the weapon shoulder instead of the head -- but he doesn't actively teach it. I've used it as shoulder flick defense in certain situations; either as a second-intention (say, going for a counter-riposte while still in the lunge), or if somebody is really telegraphing the flick in the march. A good flick is going to get past it pretty easy, though, and if you go there too soon it's easy for them to change the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Foil tournament looked fun. Except when a lady caught a thrust in the knee and the blade broke, that didn't. But she only got a bruise and won so it was good.

Didn't expect to see an electric French grip.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 4, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think this pretty clearly demonstrates why 5 is kind of useless, though. Every other parry has a clearly defined purpose and therefore form. 5 just kind of...is there, and covers... possibly a version of 7 with a shittier option to riposte? Maybe its closest actual use is that weird, irritating hunched parry bad, short, beginner lefties use to make everything hit off target? Who knows!

I've seen sabre 5 taught as foil 9, by the way.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

why are you fencing w/modern weapons anyway, smh

Yeah if you can't pommel strike a guy in the face you just have to ask yourself, are you really sword fighting?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Re-discovered some pictures I took a few years ago. I started fencing back when in my dad's circa-1970s gear, and took some comparisons with my modern stuff. Good old vinyl mask lining.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Such a tiny bib!

Anyone go to Detroit this weekend? I didn't work it and am curious how the rule changes were being interpreted, especially the last minute sabre change.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

Such a tiny bib!

Anyone go to Detroit this weekend? I didn't work it and am curious how the rule changes were being interpreted, especially the last minute sabre change.

Quoting one of our coaches

quote:

The refs from what I can see are playing it safe and not calling too tight attack/counterattack or mail-parry. They are calling hand mistakes and short riposte pretty tight.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wait, what last minute sabre rule change?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Instead of back foot on the en guard line, they made a new line for saber that's like a meter or something closer.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Guy Windsor wrote a blog post about swordfighting in Game of Thrones: http://guywindsor.net/blog/2016/10/a-swordsmans-thoughts-on-some-game-of-thrones-fights/

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

dupersaurus posted:

Instead of back foot on the en guard line, they made a new line for saber that's like a meter or something closer.

Is this a joke?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

Is this a joke?

Nope

quote:

In accordance with the FIE, markings will be placed on all strips for national events beginning at the October North American Cup (Oct. 7-10 in Detroit) and will be 3 meters apart (1.5 meters on either side of the center line). Per the FIE clarification, fencers will be 3m apart and will not be required to have the back foot in front of the original on guard line. All sanctioned USA Fencing tournaments will be required to mark strips used for saber beginning on Nov. 1.

So it's half a meter closer on each side.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

Nope

So it's half a meter closer on each side.

Ahahaha, it's because of t.17 (setting distance via point in line) that they're doing the change? I thought it was because of early testing showing that it was messy or something. It's been 8 months since the FIE congress that adopted this rule, and, now, some rules lawyer whipped out the rulebook and said this new rule conflicts. This is ridiculous.

I may have to stencil those faces onto my main cards. Yes, I have more than one set of cards. Don't judge me. :colbert:

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 12, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Last day of the beginners' course tonight, we finished with a quick 8-person tournament between us beginners. I won. :toot:

Guess I found the next hole to pour money in. Good timing too, I was just about to finish collecting my HEMA kit. :v:

Edit: Oh yeah we also went for beers and who knew, Finnish people drink a lot.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 21, 2016

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

UGH I had to fence epee tonight. And it was fun :barf:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Is it worth getting a fencing mask where all the cloth bits are detachable for washing? It seems like it would be but they don't seem that common.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

http://youtu.be/6lV5fQEHqXY

My teacher Tristan put out his Albion swords review, focusing mostly on cutting mechanics. It even features my Alexandria!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

DuckConference posted:

Is it worth getting a fencing mask where all the cloth bits are detachable for washing? It seems like it would be but they don't seem that common.
It depends on how smelly your goony face grease is, but probably not. You can adjust detachable padding, though, which is a nice feature to have.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Speaking of epee, here's one of my beginner students: https://youtu.be/ABTteZYFXeE

Guy has great reflexes, a quick brain, but a complete lack of self-esteem! He focuses a lot better under pressure, though!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Future Days posted:

Speaking of epee, here's one of my beginner students: https://youtu.be/ABTteZYFXeE

Guy has great reflexes, a quick brain, but a complete lack of self-esteem! He focuses a lot better under pressure, though!
Lunges over his front foot a lot too. I miss having a coach. :sigh:

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Ravenfood posted:

Lunges over his front foot a lot too. I miss having a coach. :sigh:

That's a thing I've been trying to fix since day 1. Kid's too self-conscious for his own good. He's always looking at his feet during drills, which causes lunges to go down instead of forward. I'll try to upload more vids if you guys want to!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Kid sounds like he needs to chill and relax a bit during training, but this will surely come with a bit more experience...

Also I don't think I've ever seen anyone, regardless of goon-grease factor, who wouldn't benefit from a washable mask. poo poo builds up over time and, well, I'm in the southern hemisphere and summer is coming.
Leon Paul makes those, right? If you get one, make sure to check that it's got a second fastening strap - didn't they do a run a while back that had only one strap, which made them technically illegal for pretty much all higher level tournaments that care about gear standards?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Chill & relax is actually half of the training! Fencers are an odd bunch, so psychological training is as important as physical and technical training. I sent this kid to a national yesterday. His objective was winning at least one pool bout. He made it to the DE's, losing in the first bout 15-12. It was a close one, but his nerves got the best of him! Good thing is he was really pleased with his performance, so I guess things will be a bit easier for me from now on!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Kid sounds like he needs to chill and relax a bit during training, but this will surely come with a bit more experience...

Also I don't think I've ever seen anyone, regardless of goon-grease factor, who wouldn't benefit from a washable mask. poo poo builds up over time and, well, I'm in the southern hemisphere and summer is coming.
Leon Paul makes those, right? If you get one, make sure to check that it's got a second fastening strap - didn't they do a run a while back that had only one strap, which made them technically illegal for pretty much all higher level tournaments that care about gear standards?
Yeah, LP's got the X-Change mask. It's a nice mask, I've got the HEMA one. It comes with either the old-school tongue and strap system or their proprietary system with two straps. If you buy a new mask now, they should all be legal.

Speaking of buying washable things, lames. Washable ones seem to be twice the price of entry-level ones and that's getting a bit steep. Should I just get a starter kit with the cheapest lame and two foils, or invest in a better lame but only one foil?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I think just about all manufacturers have removable padding masks somewhere in their line at this point, if the xchange price scares you off; Absolute Fencing's doesn't even break $100. With LP you're paying for the bib swapping and their cooling tech (but it is by far the best mask I've ever tried).

otoh, I don't think I'd explicitly spend for a washable lame. At least, spend that $$$ on a lame for the other benefits of a quality lame. All you really need to do to wash a lame is give it a bath with some woolite occasionally. A foil lame, at least, isn't taking the same gross damage as your base gear is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Nice thing about the swapping masks is being able to use the same mask for foil and epee without having to worry about the lame bit of the bib.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

But the bad thing about them is that international shipping costs as much as the bib. :suicide:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

If you get one, make sure to check that it's got a second fastening strap - didn't they do a run a while back that had only one strap, which made them technically illegal for pretty much all higher level tournaments that care about gear standards?

Uhh, kinda. Their Contour-fit system was, originally, ruled to be fine at preventing the mask from pooping off. But about two years ago there were a few incidents that caused concern, this prompted the requirement of a secondary strap for these masks. The strap is affixed around the ends of the jawbones and are actually fairly loose. Still, they prevent the mask from going up and off the fencer's head, which is all that loving matters. Oddly enough, it wasn't something US refs were required to check for. :shrug:

This is, of course, entirely different from the horizontal strap requirement put in place because of Blue Gauntlet's (and maybe other's) cross-strap system...

Siivola posted:

Speaking of buying washable things, lames. Washable ones seem to be twice the price of entry-level ones and that's getting a bit steep. Should I just get a starter kit with the cheapest lame and two foils, or invest in a better lame but only one foil?

The big thing, as Duper hints at, is if you will properly take care of your lame. This means not only keeping it separate from your nasty, sweaty kit but occasionally washing it to get the salt off of it. If you're going to be serious about the sport and do it regularly, shelling out the extra bit for the "non-metallic" lames can be worth it. I say this because my first sabre lame only lasted a year or two, which means that, yes, the extra 20 bucks is worth it if it lasts over 5 years.

Ravenfood posted:

Nice thing about the swapping masks is being able to use the same mask for foil and epee without having to worry about the lame bit of the bib.

I'm pretty sure that Leon Paul is still the only approved manufacturer of those kinds of masks. They make good masks, but it's a bit of an investment for a new to (sport) fencing fencer.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
After a decade or so of bumbling around small towns I've finally moved to a big city where I can do nerd poo poo. I've always been interested in fencing, but at 35 I'm wondering if I'm too old to start. How demanding is the sport, reflex-wise? Half of the time I can't decide who hit whom in a match, but maybe the Olympics finals are not a good sample :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I don't have a clue how quick you are, just go and give it a try. :v: It's more about your pattern recognition skills than actual physical twitch response anyway. I mean, at 35 you're probably not going to make any international competitions, but the same goes for basically any sport.

Also thanks for the lame tips guys. I think I'll settle for the cheapo one for now, since it's about 30-40 Euros cheaper than the inox ones.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Siivola posted:

It's more about your pattern recognition skills than actual physical twitch response anyway.

Thanks, this is what I wanted to know. I'll contact a few clubs and see if they have introductory classes for adults. Worst case scenario it doesn't work and I go back to being lazy.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Fat Samurai posted:

After a decade or so of bumbling around small towns I've finally moved to a big city where I can do nerd poo poo. I've always been interested in fencing, but at 35 I'm wondering if I'm too old to start. How demanding is the sport, reflex-wise? Half of the time I can't decide who hit whom in a match, but maybe the Olympics finals are not a good sample :v:

Absolutely not too old to start. I didn't pick up fencing until my mid-late 20's and I was over 30 before I stopped farting around and actually started fencing competitively. And there are folks, very talented and good fencers, at my club who picked up the sport as grandparents. You won't have the same training journey as a youngster, but as long as you're having fun you're doing it right.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

The veteran competition divisions start at 40 so you've got a good five years to train. From what I hear, vet fencing is fantastic.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I've taken a break from fencing to work on my house for the past year or so, but I'm definitely looking forward to getting back into it with vet fencer status coming up in a few years.
My rating will degrade in that time, but working to win it back just gives me something to shoot for.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Got to fence the seniors at the club today. This is fun as poo poo, but gosh dang I'm already done fencing with a zombie lamé, and the grips on the loaner foils don't click with me either.

:shepspends: help

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I have my first class tomorrow! It's a small Pentathlon club, so no idea how many new guys will be there, but it's a 5 minutes walk from home. I have another class scheduled with another club next week, in case this one doesn't work out.

Any warning signals I should be looking for? Buying equipment exclusively through the club, only year long subscriptions, etc...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

El Spamo posted:

as long as you're having fun you're doing it right.
i am blind in one eye and my wrists and ankles hurt all the time. i will always be worse than a younger, faster, two-eyed person. but i enjoy 17th century rapier and I'm learning things and getting fit, so I get what I want out of it.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fat Samurai posted:

I have my first class tomorrow! It's a small Pentathlon club, so no idea how many new guys will be there, but it's a 5 minutes walk from home. I have another class scheduled with another club next week, in case this one doesn't work out.

Any warning signals I should be looking for? Buying equipment exclusively through the club, only year long subscriptions, etc...

Cool! Is your goal to do the modern pentathlon or just fence? If it's just fence, you will be better suited with a regular fencing club. Not just because that's what you want to do, but because fencing in the Pentathlon is one-hit epee which has some quirks when compared to sport fencing.

Based on my experience with sport fencing, a good determinant is if the club is recognized by or a member of the national governing body (NGB), for example the NGB in the US is USA Pentathlon. So if the club is not a member of your country's NGB, that can be a red flag. If you're not in the US, you can look here on the website for the UIPM, the international governing body for the modern pentathlon, to find your NGB.

About buying equipment from the club, you're right about the exclusively part, but don't the the existence of a club store fool you. At least in fencing, some clubs do become dealers for equipment manufacturers as a convenience to their members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Just fencing, I find running boring and didn't enjoy shooting much the only time I've tried it.

It's a pretty small club, with only one fencing teacher and 10ish people, 5 of them are pretty into it with the rest kinda tag along but are focusing on other parts of the pentathlon. They were pretty honest about not having any new fencers in a while and it maybe being a bit frustrating for me. 3 hours of classes per week, with an option of renting equipment in a monthly basis for 5€ a month.

Other people in the club seemed pretty friendly, except a 16 year old girl who seemed eager to shish kebab me, either before or after using me as target practice. :ohdear:

I have a couple of other places to check out, if nothing works I'll try it for a month and see how it goes.