Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Codezombie posted:

To be fair you don't know if I am actually chatting poo either... ;)

So I'll link to my Moby profile. You can decide if I am just linking to a random moby profile or not.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,86162/

(I really need to update it, Dirt Rally is missing off that profile, and I did'nt do enough work on F1 2015 to really deserve the credit either. )
(Edit: I also apologise for Simon the Sorcerer 3D... I was young... and needed the money... )

Well, if it IS you, I loved CoC:DCOTE. Even if I was apparently one of the only 15 people that bought it.

EDIT: Topical catte tax.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Hamburger Test posted:

Rest of cast listed alphabetically:
Sandi Gardiner ... Dee
Aaron R Landon ... Abel
Conner Floyd ... Bryan

Using which alphabet?

I guarantee whichever producer had that written up left the 'alphabetically' on purpose to subtlely tell anyone thinking of hiring her what sort of person she is to deal with.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

:eyepop:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Samizdata posted:

Well, if it IS you, I loved CoC:DCOTE. Even if I was apparently one of the 15 people to buy it.

The escape from the "hotel" is the last time I was genuinely scared by a game. Fuckin' jeebies actually, it's a drat disturbing experience

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Samizdata posted:

Well, if it IS you, I loved CoC:DCOTE. Even if I was apparently one of the only 15 people that bought it.

Call of Cathulu

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The escape from the "hotel" is the last time I was genuinely scared by a game. Fuckin' jeebies actually, it's a drat disturbing experience

Glad you enjoyed that part, it was my favourite too, I won't bore you with what parts I worked on (though I'm still very proud of the dynamic glass shattering algorithum).
However I remain convinced that giving the player weapons was not the best idea we had. At least not effective weapons.

CoC was another example of a game that went through development hell...
Oh the hellish stories I can tell about working on that game...
Still one of my favourite projects.

I was laid off right after it went gold, as the money had run out. About a month before that, we knew lay offs were coming - as I quote : "Waiting for Cthulhu to come out, was like turkeys waiting for christmas"

Horrorgame-tax

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 12, 2016

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wow, I never knew Shadows over Innsmouth was covered in a game!

That short story freaked me out, especially the hotel scene.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Planets V2: Just a bit of R&D work

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2639-erin-roberts-interview-citizencon-edge-blending

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Aka "We nicked the source for Proland and mucked about with it a bit..." ;)

Okay, CIG might not have actually used the Proland code base, but there is so much public domain info on how to do realtime procgen planets that its really not that hard to put a system together. The only reason you don't see a lot of procgen planets in games is not because they are hard to do, its simply because most of the time they are not needed.

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 12, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Codezombie posted:

Aka "We nicked the source for Proland and mucked about with it a bit..." ;)

Okay, CIG might not have actually used the Proland code base, but there is so much public domain info on how to do realtime procgen planets that its really not that hard to put a system together. The only reason you don't see a lot of procgen planets in games is not because they are hard to do, its simply because most of the time they are not needed.

You I like

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
INN Live reaction to Citizen Con.

:gary:

https://www.twitch.tv/innlive/v/93998118?t=296m36s

AP fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 12, 2016

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Why do many people read "indefinitely" as forever or cancelled?

Samizdata posted:

Game was really awesome. Well, the first part that is. After it turned into an action game, less so.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

ahmini posted:

It really has been quite fascinating watching the self-delusion slowly develop after Citcon. Immediately after the presentation, when people were reacting as individuals before some kind of group narrative could be formed, there was a large amount of confusion and disappointment. Could it be that the CRobbler wasn't being entirely honest about the state of the game? Could it be that the game can't be delivered as pitched? Real concern was in the air.

However, in just a couple of days we've seen some quite fascinating preaching by the high priests. Those showing uncertainty are ungrateful and impatient. How could they deny the mastery of CRobblers ground breaking, visionary "procedural" planet demo that is almost certainly ready to go in the game right now if not for just a little more polish?? The boring Citcon history lesson wasn't just for the old timers, it was for newcomers who might not know a lot about the great work that is Star Citizen. How selfish of people to complain about the CRobbler teaching new cultcommunity members about the glorious history of the game! And what of SQ42? Clearly the community is not ready to receive the mana from heaven that is an SQ42 demo. CRobbler realised that ungrateful faithless backsliders would criticise an SQ42 run-through which wasn't anything other than perfect, so held it back deliberately as a mark of his great honesty and trustworthiness.

So now we see stuff that basically reads like a reformed evangelist. "I foolishly doubted our Lord CRobbler after the sermon on the Citcon Mount, but now I realise the error of my ways. I allowed worldly thoughts to corrupt my mind and was blinded to His greatness. I see now that the presentation was the work of genius and I've never been more excited for the future of Star Citizen!"

Unironically there is a PhD/Masters just begging to be done on this.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Moma for new OP

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Tarquinn posted:

Why do many people read "indefinitely" as forever or cancelled?

Game was really awesome. Well, the first part that is. After it turned into an action game, less so.

Thanks. As a developer on that game, I have to say, I totally agree with you about the action part... :(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Because although that's technically not what "indefinitely" means, when you take a project and say "This does not work. We are no longer working on this. We have no plans on how to resume working on this, and no timeline for making those plans" it's a stepping stone to just trashing the project. If you had any serious intention of completing your work you would at the very least have plans on how to resume working on it, and you would have a timeline for those plans with a guesstimated implementation time, and you would announce that as a delay. The number of times someone has picked up a project that has been postponed indefinitely and says "oh no, we can totally do this" is Duke Nukem Forever.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I'd be worried if they did devote more than a few people to that demo. I had a quick look at the youtube upload and compared to the low res, compressed twitch stream, the jankiness stood out to me a lot more.

None of the AI in the ambush sequence were scripted to move, and they didn't make sure that the models were placed above the ground. There were what, like four enemies?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I don't think Duke Nukem Forever was ever put on hold, they scope creeped (or changed engines) themselves to death. Gearbox bought the leftovers and shoved it out the door, mainly just to own the name. This is a possible outcome for whatever this thing is now.

Cave Adapted
Jun 13, 2012
Apparently some citizen decided to make star citizen (and their referral code) into the annoying ad on inputmapper that you pay to get rid of.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Talking of public domain info on procgen planets, may I present what maybe CIG's planetary proc gen bible...
http://www.virtualglobebook.com/

This is actually a good book, even the Outerra developers recommend it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/repetitivebeat/status/786157188783992832

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

#

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NOOBIFIER1337/status/786161098298892288

No

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Ethan__Schenk/status/786162213790715905

https://twitter.com/Rdm_Board/status/786119252134785025

https://gfycat.com/GlitteringTallDwarfmongoose

https://twitter.com/Autoglitch/status/785936894458679296

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hamburger Test posted:

I don't think Duke Nukem Forever was ever put on hold, they scope creeped (or changed engines) themselves to death. Gearbox bought the leftovers and shoved it out the door, mainly just to own the name. This is a possible outcome for whatever this thing is now.
This is more or less what happened. 3D Realms ran out of money, were unable to talk more out of Take Two, and "business realities" required them to sell off the fractured remains of the game instead of burying it in the desert.

Cave Adapted posted:

Apparently some citizen decided to make star citizen (and their referral code) into the annoying ad on inputmapper that you pay to get rid of.

That "some citizen" is probably the author of Inputmapper.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

his nibs posted:

Unironically there is a PhD/Masters just begging to be done on this.

That or CIG is getting their money's worth from that social media company.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Wait.... what... did Chris Roberts invent speech now?!?!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
He is totally right though.
If it wasnt for CR theyd all be playing the game instead of talking about the game in the forums.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
[quote="EminusSleepus" post="465246645"]
Derek Smart do you know who these guys are ?

Guy on the left is the legendary Simon Elms. Ex CFO of gizmondo

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

EightAce posted:

Guy on the left is the legendary Simon Elms. Ex CFO of gizmondo

LOL.

Scam.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That or CIG is getting their money's worth from that social media company.

I would love to believe that nobody is that aggressively retarded, and that it is a group of people diabolical enough to intentionally mislead a herd of extremely autistic game enthusiasts for money.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/572bzl/a_video_game_perspective_of_distance/
:sludgepal:

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

set content : true;
:ughh:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

that it is a group of people diabolical enough to intentionally mislead a herd of extremely autistic game enthusiasts for money.

This is video game development

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

set content : true;
:ughh:

Look, the pipelines have been factored and refactored to a glossy sheen. They're ready to start pumping out the content any minute now.

Any day now...

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

She's paying to be in low budget amateur productions. loving lol

The backers will never know.

Sabreseven posted:

Oh, I see.

Are there no laws about moonlighting over there? gently caress, shes got fingers rammed in more pies then Ben after a 'starve' day.

Nah it's cool she said she only acts on weekends.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

neonbregna posted:

This is video game development

The same sort of mentality that drives micro-transactions in mobile games and the whole free to play moral swamp...

Its pretty depressing.

Super fans scare me too.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Cave Adapted posted:

This definitely doesn't make star citizen look like those trashy mobile games with lawsuit-skimming names like call of warfare and game of kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

I think the opening fly by demonstrates biomes ALA minecraft. You got from snow covered hills to desert and back to snow covered hills and back to desert (And not a regular old desert, a sahara like sand dune desert).
It's very realistic to have a snowy hillside next to a sand desert.

• Locked thread