Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

orcinus posted:

I honestly doubt there's anything real time about their terrain generation.
Their interpretation of procedural planets is generating a height map procedurally (once, in development, not clientside) and baking the resulting terrain into a crysis map, then manually sculpting and populating with scenery where necessary.

They admitted as much a while ago too, if i remember correctly.

Granted, I suspect that is the case, I would however be interested to know thy are fractally infilling between the points on the height map.
Personally in my own little projects at home, I use heightmaps to provide the first couple of octaves of heightdata, and let the algorithums fill the rest in. That allows you to avoid having huge amounts of terrain data clogging up ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hello, some of this is rehashed again

• new mocap shoot coming up right before halloween, will continue for several weeks (hearing for prelude, can't be right)
  • in june 2016 hamil did most of what we'll see in the sq42 prelude
  • problems with old animation vs new engine upgrade is causing a lot of problems
  • more specifically: old shoots done with different tech, new captures much easier to get in and working
  • tech was upgraded without realizing how it affected current animation capture and tools
  • every NPC interaction in the prelude is entirely hand scripted at this point, no subsumption or "true" AI
  • almost all scenes will have to be reshot with stand ins for the A list cast animations (already happening since early this year)
  • internally sq42 prelude is still on for march 2017, many fights about deadline releasing with roberts and sandi (for some reason)
  • "huge" scenes with dozens of characters paired down due to problems getting them to run, talked about hiring outside CGI animators for larger cutscenes
  • mess hall scene now features less than five characters including PC, was over two dozen
  • "[Roberts] wrote this like a 100 million dollar sci-fi epic without regard to seeing how it feasibly functions."
  • sq42 prelude supposedly "in medias res"
  • "The problem [with the Morrow tour] was that it didn't hook anyone. We needed a hook; a punch, an explosion right off the bat."

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
Derek bless you TheAgent

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

trucutru posted:

It's is because you lack the levels of self delusion required.

I've had people argue with me on reddit that the worm proves just how loving advanced their terrain generation and physics are because, get this, it's impressive how the worm can burrow, displace sand, and create tunnels.

Like, at that point, I don't even bother with a reply.

:0

The sheer extrapolation that some people are capable of is astounding.

That being said: I think that the network of tunnels comprising the sandworms home will be awesome to explore. Finding the breeding grounds at the very heart of the cluster and bringing a prized egg back to my ship to sell on the black market, thank you for putting these in the demo, CIG! We know what you are up to!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
has it been confirmed that we can cross breed various species of giant worms or not

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'd also like to point out that I've never received so much conflicting information about a project

half the things I get I don't post until I hear it from multiple people, mostly because it seems like the internal roadmap for the project continues to change on a near monthly basis. first they are concentrating on SC, then SQ42, then SC again, then mocap, then SQ42 animations, then back to SC, then about how x needs to get fixed before y because z can't work without x and y which slows down everything and almost puts an entire company on hold for weeks

(the other half is just straight up crazy poo poo I don't believe or super personal poo poo that I don't really want to get into)

even the 38 studio leaks, the RTW leaks and DNF leaks were more clear and concise than anything I'm getting about SC/SQ42

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
also is there a ship that can also be a zoo? Like the farm one but a zoo bubble thing

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

TheAgent posted:

hello, some of this is rehashed again

• new mocap shoot coming up right before halloween, will continue for several weeks (hearing for prelude, can't be right)
  • in june 2016 hamil did most of what we'll see in the sq42 prelude
  • problems with old animation vs new engine upgrade is causing a lot of problems
  • more specifically: old shoots done with different tech, new captures much easier to get in and working
  • tech was upgraded without realizing how it affected current animation capture and tools
  • every NPC interaction in the prelude is entirely hand scripted at this point, no subsumption or "true" AI
  • almost all scenes will have to be reshot with stand ins for the A list cast animations (already happening since early this year)
  • internally sq42 prelude is still on for march 2017, many fights about deadline releasing with roberts and sandi (for some reason)
  • "huge" scenes with dozens of characters paired down due to problems getting them to run, talked about hiring outside CGI animators for larger cutscenes
  • mess hall scene now features less than five characters including PC, was over two dozen
  • "[Roberts] wrote this like a 100 million dollar sci-fi epic without regard to seeing how it feasibly functions."
  • sq42 prelude supposedly "in medias res"
  • "The problem [with the Morrow tour] was that it didn't hook anyone. We needed a hook; a punch, an explosion right off the bat."

The backers will never know

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/782617692020862976

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/784180744075771904

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/785917323156787200

Man, some of you are tiresome. And ignorant. And a waste of time.

Please explain to me - in English, not Gibberish, which part of those Tweets was actually unclear, and/or written in Gibberish or Swahili.

I get tips regularly. Most of it from wankers who think I'm dumb enough to just post something without at least doing the research, getting corroboration from sources etc. I just happened to be sent a massive info dump, complete with files, folders etc.

The last time something like that happen - though that one pales in comparison to this recent dump - was the Dennison post on Facebook. I shared it in a blog, then had to take it down when he reached out to let me know that it wasn't public. ofc by that time, it was already making the media rounds. I pulled it anyway.

So...

Yes - I can mention some of the stuff sent to me, and share it in an upcoming blog. I neither said which blog, nor when such a blog would even be published.

No - I cannnot mention some of the stuff sent to me, nor share it in an upcoming blog; without it being thoroughly vetted and cleared by various legal entities familiar with that sort of thing. Especially since some of that material probably belongs in the hands of law enforcement, not some guy's blog.

In fact, prior to that dump, and the CitizenCon2016 disaster, I had two blogs in the works. One "Star Citizen - The Think Tank" about the lead/primary devs at all four studios; and the other "Star Citizen - Year Five" about where we are a year later (in the same vein as my "Star Citizen - Year Four" blog from last Nov).

I had NO plans to write a blog about CitizenCon.

However, following the show, I was going to do a scoop article, similar to the one I did for GamesCom2016.

The disaster (depending on who you ask) that was CitizenCon, all of which played out live in my Twitch channel, prompted me to write another blog about the implications of this event, and which I will publish at some point this week.

The notion that my sole purpose is to "tear down and/or destroy Star Citizen", is unfounded bullshit. Sure, I am pissed about the project, and the fact that an entire company and some their anti-social nut job "fans"decided that vilifying me was a very sensible thing to do. But at the same time, I have to be responsible enough to know that some things are very destructive; and regardless of merit - or the lolz - should be subject to much thought. I'm not in this for the lolz. I never was. Anyone thinking that, simply hasn't been paying attention.

Yes, most of us DO want to see CIG/RSI in a legal setting so that the backers (at least those who care enough) can get accountability for the project and the money. I have NO doubt in my mind that it will happen. It's only a matter of time. However, at the same time, getting mired in legal action over peripheral bullshit, regardless of how long it takes to get around to the core (money) Star Citizen matter, is a waste of my time. Not to mention a waste of legal fees; insurance or not.

Finally, let me just cut and paste what I wrote yesterday on my Discord channel:

quote:

tbh, it's not about "giving up". it's more about some people seem to have this misplaced opinion that my goal is to try and "convince" them of anything.

you guys who have been around know that's not my goal. being focused, borderline autistic, goal driven, means that there is very little room to deviate from the reason that I am engaged in this. I could be raging on any number of games (and God knows I own quite a few); including the debacles with NMS, Mafia3 etc. But none of those put me in the circumstance that I find myself in.

my goal is simple: vindication

a corporation, and their rabid fans, decided to vilify me for daring to speak out on a loving game that I saw heading into disaster. had that not happened, I would have lost interest after the noise of the July 2015 blog died down; and it won't be any different from the stories I post and discuss on social media - especially on Facebook.

when you're a notable industry figure, not just some anon moron (see Lethality, Cymelion and their ilk), it's hard to "disengage" from that sort of thing. and if you're me, who simply doesn't take too kindly to bullying and the like, well then.

I never have - nor do I wish for - the project to die. it is immaterial to me.

my involvement is no different from any number of causes that people pick up and champion. be it immigration reform, banking reform, save the whales, anit-vac etc. for me, it's more of a cause, than it is a vendetta - and simply because I have spent almost 30 years in this biz, and win, lose, draw, what happens to this project, directly affects me. I abhor the idea of caging animals in zoos, I have never been to Seaworld etc, but you don't see me writing tomes about that.

the key here is that the project has evolved into a scam. I believe it. I also believe that they have acted irresponsibly, and illegally. to the extent that I have spent my own money, pursuing this so that I can get a better grip and understanding of the extent of it. and sadly, being semi-retired means that I have way more time on my hands than I normally would.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 12, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

I'd also like to point out that I've never received so much conflicting information about a project

half the things I get I don't post until I hear it from multiple people, mostly because it seems like the internal roadmap for the project continues to change on a near monthly basis. first they are concentrating on SC, then SQ42, then SC again, then mocap, then SQ42 animations, then back to SC, then about how x needs to get fixed before y because z can't work without x and y which slows down everything and almost puts an entire company on hold for weeks

(the other half is just straight up crazy poo poo I don't believe or super personal poo poo that I don't really want to get into)

even the 38 studio leaks, the RTW leaks and DNF leaks were more clear and concise than anything I'm getting about SC/SQ42

I wish I had been around for RTW leaks.

e: ^ :lol:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
nice meltdown

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Was there a link to the July blog in there? I didn't read it.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Please explain to me - in English, not Gibberish, which part of those Tweets was actually unclear, and/or written in Gibberish or Swahili.

I get tips regularly. Most of it from wankers who think I'm dumb enough to just post something without at least doing the research, getting corroboration from sources etc. I just happened to be sent a massive info dump, complete with files, folders etc.

The last time something like that happen - though that one pales in comparison to this recent dump - was the Dennison post on Facebook. I shared it in a blog, then had to take it down when he reached out to let me know that it wasn't public. ofc by that time, it was already making the media rounds. I pulled it anyway.

So...

Yes - I can mention some of the stuff sent to me, and share it in an upcoming blog. I neither said which blog, nor when such a blog would even be published.

No - I cannnot mention some of the stuff sent to me, nor share it in an upcoming blog; without it being thoroughly vetted and cleared by various legal entities familiar with that sort of thing. Especially since some of that material probably belongs in the hands of law enforcement, not some guy's blog.

In fact, prior to that dump, and the CitizenCon2016 disaster, I had two blogs in the works. One "Star Citizen - The Think Tank" about the lead/primary devs at all four studios; and the other "Star Citizen - Year Five" about where we are a year later (in the same vein as my "Star Citizen - Year Four" blog from last Nov).

However, following the show, I was going to do a scoop article, similar to the one I did for GamesCom2016.

The disaster (depending on who you ask) that was CitizenCon, all of which played out live in my Twitch channel, prompted me to write another blog about the implications of this event, and which I will publish at some point this week.

The notion that my sole purpose is to "tear down and/or destroy Star Citizen", is unfounded bullshit. Sure, I am pissed about the project, and the fact that an entire company and some their anti-social nut job "fans"decided that vilifying me was a very sensible thing to do. But at the same time, I have to be responsible enough to know that some things are very destructive; and regardless of merit - or the lolz - should be subject to much thought. I'm not in this for the lolz. I never was. Anyone thinking that, simply hasn't been paying attention.

Yes, most of us DO want to see CIG/RSI in a legal setting so that the backers (at least those who care enough) can get accountability for the project and the money. I have NO doubt in my mind that it will happen. It's only a matter of time. However, at the same time, getting mired in legal action over peripheral bullshit, regardless of how long it takes to get around to the core (money) Star Citizen matter, is a waste of my time. Not to mention a waste of legal fees; insurance or not.

Finally, let me just cut and paste what I wrote yesterday on my Discord channel:

"borderline autistic"?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
God bless all the goons who have posted quality OC like tickelgate and archer stuff. You are the real heroes, not our false warlord.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 12, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

D_Smart posted:

So...

Meltdown, nice!

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

D_Smart posted:

So...

:laffo: you okay clownmando?

you and croberts were loving made for eachother

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

It hooked me.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

D_Smart posted:

You see, 11 comes after 6 source, and on 6 you said you were going to drop this big blog that had been cleared by legal and was gonna be "Full warlord" or whatever, but then on 11, you said thew lawyers had blocked this, which shows some inconsistency. So either you have a bad lawyer who didn't read everything on the first pass or you were bullshitting us about having sources willing to come forward, having new info on the CIG shitshow and whatever else. Or to give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe new info came to light that you wanted to use but it was from an unconfirmed source and you're trying to verify things because Citcon led to new information. But Occam's Razor isn't being kind to you on this one given previous experience (Two weeks)

But the joke here is you seem to have delivery issues very similar to ol' Mr. Croberts in the grand scheme of things, you know, in case you wanted me to kill the humor by having to explain it to you.

But the reality here is, I'm just busting your chops, dude. I actually have found a lot of your work on your blog to be pretty compelling and I appreciate the passion you seem to have for consumer protection in the games industry, as it really is lacking

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 12, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I like Derek because he makes retarded citizens and retarded goons angry.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

StarBegotten posted:

Wait.... what... did Chris Roberts invent speech now?!?!

It's ummmm still in tup tup tup alpha

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's ummmm still in tup tup tup alpha

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Time to donhate more avatars and red-text. I'M DOING MY PART O7

Good job! :hfive:

You can only buy your way into this elitist club.

The more you spend, the more friends you have! :homebrew:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

are there any dank Dsmart gifs? i want to add some to my sc folder

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

I like Derek because he makes retarded citizens and retarded goons angry.

:same:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

:gary:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Is he drunk?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DigitalMocking posted:

Of all the logic gymnastics that backers do, here's the one thing I don't understand.

How in their minds, it will go from poo poo to amazing. Right now, it's poo poo. Almost everything about it is poo poo (the models are cool, if bland). Netcode is poo poo. Instances are poo poo. Animations are poo poo. Clipping is poo poo. T-posing is poo poo.

But somehow this giant pile of poo poo is going to magically transform like some kind of poo poo-caterpillar into a beautiful and not poo poo-butterfly.

idgi. :psyduck:

I believe the number of people believing this is steadily declining.

CIG could just release something resembling a space game though and still make bank. Like Freelancer 2.

But the more stuff they put out, the less space like it gets. It's trying to get into CoD territory, and Chris Roberts bullshitjitsu isn't going to be sufficient to actually one up the guys who make CoD.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

orcinus posted:

Is he drunk?

He's high on the Verse.

https://twitter.com/pedrocamacho/status/786229554666844160

I'm expecting a custom written piece and a full-size orchestra for every monster spawn.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

I guess this is weapons free no holds bar then!!

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

"Future Undefined Date" makes it sound like it was canceled, could you please use "Indefinitely" for a less click baity title? Thanks.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Saint Drogo posted:

:laffo: you okay clownmando?

you and croberts were loving made for eachother

Yin and yang, particle and antiparticle, two idiots spiralling the same drain in a perfect closed system.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

He's high on the Verse.

https://twitter.com/pedrocamacho/status/786229554666844160

I'm expecting a custom written piece and a full-size orchestra for every monster spawn.

Procedural music confirmed.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

orcinus posted:

Star Citizen: Derek gets there in the end

Confirmed this last night :smug:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lol if Derek funds legal from his star citizen book

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
There's a lot we can tell about this man's face lol

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Google Butt posted:

Lol if Derek funds legal from his star citizen book

OK everyone who plans to buy Derek's Star Citizen book please raise your hand!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Well great.
You broke Derek.

You blogpost locusts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

I watched a "Let's Play" of that for hours. It's the type of game I would hate to play but the setting was so good I wanted to watch it unfold.

I did this for Civ VI yesterday. I felt bad after just watching someone else play a game, but I really wanna play that game. Trying to distract myself during entertainment time with other stuff. Citcon helped a bit.

• Locked thread