Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The escape from the "hotel" is the last time I was genuinely scared by a game. Fuckin' jeebies actually, it's a drat disturbing experience

I "loved" discovering you would kill yourself if you went too mad, like I did on the ship fighting Father Dagon.

Hamburger Test posted:

I don't think Duke Nukem Forever was ever put on hold, they scope creeped (or changed engines) themselves to death. Gearbox bought the leftovers and shoved it out the door, mainly just to own the name. This is a possible outcome for whatever this thing is now.

I concur. I think scope creep is a massive problem in modern development, and a lot of that scope is adding the lastest "shiny" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

There's a lot we can tell about this man's face lol

In the mid life crisis having, middle aged weekend biker looking guy's defense, thats the face Imake around redditors too

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This thread is the juggernaut, bitch.

I cannot believe that I have read all of this*, I should be ashamed. But this trainwreck really is fascinating. As is the Warlord.

*there was an awful lot of skimming, once I found the interesting people.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Samizdata posted:

I "loved" discovering you would kill yourself if you went too mad, like I did on the ship fighting Father Dagon.

I'm totally not sorry we put that in... :p

I am sorry for that drat ship cannon though, that was my fault. It was a whirling son of a bitch to code and get right, and it never did work properly...

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 12, 2016

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

D1E posted:

OK everyone who plans to buy Derek's Star Citizen book please raise your hand!

Maybe he can start a kickstarter? I would be down to buying a few thousand worth of book.jpgs

Marching Powder posted:

I like Derek because he makes retarded citizens and retarded goons angry.

Wait, you like him and he makes you angry? Thats not a healthy basis for a relationship mate :sever:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Wuxi posted:

Wait, you like him and he makes you angry? Thats not a healthy basis for a relationship mate :sever:

This is the weakest loving burn itt and you should feel bad about that

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

Lmao ded

Also lol at anyone who expects derek to actually follow through on what he says anymore

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

Its ok, I had some unexpectedly good posts lately, I can let it slip once in a while

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Booblord Zagats posted:

i seriously had the reply window open and closed it again. you cannot really say anything to people this pathetic.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Blunderstorm posted:

Lmao ded

Also lol at anyone who expects derek to actually follow through on what he says anymore

The only people who hold him to that standard are r/dereksmart

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

orcinus posted:

Well great.
You broke Derek.

You blogpost locusts.

He was like that when I got here.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Tokamak posted:

I'd be worried if they did devote more than a few people to that demo. I had a quick look at the youtube upload and compared to the low res, compressed twitch stream, the jankiness stood out to me a lot more.

None of the AI in the ambush sequence were scripted to move, and they didn't make sure that the models were placed above the ground. There were what, like four enemies?

Where do people come up with the Tusken Raider reference? These characters are completely different--see how they walk on little stubs. Tusken Raiders had full legs.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tokamak posted:

The only people who hold him to that standard are r/dereksmart

there is seriously people posting here with an astonishing amount in common with citizens. they are just sans space jpgs but make up for it with other extremely pathetic hobbies no doubt

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

notoriousman posted:

And he will be like that long after we're all dead and buried.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

And this is ok with the backers.

Your money is being well spent. Trust me. :allears:

Sandi can't be an actress without paying people and funding their ideas.

But how else can she be Tattooed Drugwench #2?

Dreams! Dreams happen! (Just not your dreams)

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Hey at least we know why Sandi has puffed up so much between ATV and CitizenCon--working on getting that puffy girl role!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

D_Smart posted:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/782617692020862976

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/784180744075771904

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/785917323156787200

Man, some of you are tiresome. And ignorant. And a waste of time.

Please explain to me - in English, not Gibberish, which part of those Tweets was actually unclear, and/or written in Gibberish or Swahili.

I get tips regularly. Most of it from wankers who think I'm dumb enough to just post something without at least doing the research, getting corroboration from sources etc. I just happened to be sent a massive info dump, complete with files, folders etc.

The last time something like that happen - though that one pales in comparison to this recent dump - was the Dennison post on Facebook. I shared it in a blog, then had to take it down when he reached out to let me know that it wasn't public. ofc by that time, it was already making the media rounds. I pulled it anyway.

So...

Yes - I can mention some of the stuff sent to me, and share it in an upcoming blog. I neither said which blog, nor when such a blog would even be published.

No - I cannnot mention some of the stuff sent to me, nor share it in an upcoming blog; without it being thoroughly vetted and cleared by various legal entities familiar with that sort of thing. Especially since some of that material probably belongs in the hands of law enforcement, not some guy's blog.

In fact, prior to that dump, and the CitizenCon2016 disaster, I had two blogs in the works. One "Star Citizen - The Think Tank" about the lead/primary devs at all four studios; and the other "Star Citizen - Year Five" about where we are a year later (in the same vein as my "Star Citizen - Year Four" blog from last Nov).

I had NO plans to write a blog about CitizenCon.

However, following the show, I was going to do a scoop article, similar to the one I did for GamesCom2016.

The disaster (depending on who you ask) that was CitizenCon, all of which played out live in my Twitch channel, prompted me to write another blog about the implications of this event, and which I will publish at some point this week.

The notion that my sole purpose is to "tear down and/or destroy Star Citizen", is unfounded bullshit. Sure, I am pissed about the project, and the fact that an entire company and some their anti-social nut job "fans"decided that vilifying me was a very sensible thing to do. But at the same time, I have to be responsible enough to know that some things are very destructive; and regardless of merit - or the lolz - should be subject to much thought. I'm not in this for the lolz. I never was. Anyone thinking that, simply hasn't been paying attention.

Yes, most of us DO want to see CIG/RSI in a legal setting so that the backers (at least those who care enough) can get accountability for the project and the money. I have NO doubt in my mind that it will happen. It's only a matter of time. However, at the same time, getting mired in legal action over peripheral bullshit, regardless of how long it takes to get around to the core (money) Star Citizen matter, is a waste of my time. Not to mention a waste of legal fees; insurance or not.

Finally, let me just cut and paste what I wrote yesterday on my Discord channel:

I wonder, if the full blog isn't polished enough to show--maybe we could get a PowerPoint presentation touching on the highlights of what is to come in future blogs?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

notoriousman posted:

I would buy this even if you had a '99 reg date.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MedicineHut posted:

Posting from the past but how on earth would SC code garbage pass the quality protocols of Microsoft to release in their consoles anyways?

This can´t really be a serious consideration by CIG, even if they wanted to. They must be simply having a go at it for the kicks.

Look at the big picture.

This is Phase 1 of the Microsoft buyout.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Marching Powder posted:

there is seriously people posting here with an astonishing amount in common with citizens. they are just sans space jpgs but make up for it with other extremely pathetic hobbies no doubt

You said it, mistah thread sheriff.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

derek isn't giving release dates anymore

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

the blog post was there the whole time! we've already been experiencing it

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You make the mistake of thinking they play any video games made since Freelancer

It is interesting how a large portion of the SC community does seem to be a 'non-gamer', at least in the modern sense. I wonder what it is about SC.

This is certainly not a bad thing in itself, and I am definitely not poking fun at that. I am not sure how much I Identify as a 'gamer' these days, though I do enjoy games.

It is amusing though, when you see these same guys trot out the 'not understanding game development' argument, or smugly tell people they need to be patient for all this 'never before seen tech', while simultaneously being unable to fathom the depths of engineering debt that CIG has promised, and the difficulty they face in patching together the disparate systems that they have managed to push out.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

Like posting in this thread every day

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

derek is like.... chris roberts!

his blogs are like.... star citizen!

the next few pages brought to you by this thought said many, many unfunny ways

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Blunderstorm posted:

derek isn't giving release dates anymore

We've proven that we're not capable of handling open blog development.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

ZenMaster posted:

NSFW PLZ TIA

Oh man, almost spit coffee on my keyboard on that one.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sandis Pusher character will probably exist in the PU at some point.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

derek is like.... chris roberts!

his blogs are like.... star citizen!

the next few pages brought to you by this thought said many, many unfunny ways

ur the sandi gardiner of the thread

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: Smart was Roberts, Roberts was Smart, PROCEDURAL GENERATION WAS IN!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

Yin and yang, particle and antiparticle, two idiots spiralling the same drain in a perfect closed system.

Nothing Roberts related involves perfect systems. Or, for that matter, perfect anythings.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

has it been confirmed that we can cross breed various species of giant worms or not

If you bothered to notice the fidelitious rotating rings of teeth inside the worn you would know it is actually a machine and therefor can not be breed at all

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Blunderstorm posted:

nice to see another dickhead join the conga line of replying to everything i post with the weakest material imaginable. further, you seem to have a jobbo fett gimmick of taking up several posts to say absolutely nothing. now that i've got your mo, i know it's absolutely futile to say this but i'll say it anyway: you loving suck. stop posting.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

nice to see another dickhead join the conga line of replying to everything i post with the weakest material imaginable. further, you seem to have a jobbo fett gimmick of taking up several posts to say absolutely nothing. now that i've got your mo, i know it's absolutely futile to say this but i'll say it anyway: you loving suck. stop posting.

nice meltdown

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

orcinus posted:

The first part is because they originaly wanted to do a demo of "multiple planets with differrent ecosystems" then hosed up so badly they only left it at the desert demo (i assume the plan was to demo all the "planets" on the same map, with cuts and transitions).

The second part is because heightmaps have a limited range - and they've used most of it for detail (dunes and ripples), so total dynamic range is too small for a proper mountain.

Y… well… yes. I didn't mean a sensible and informed reason — I wanted Chris-level handwaving. :eng99:

orcinus posted:

Worse than that.
It had a heightmap *baked into polys*.

Hey! It worked (kind of) for UnrealEngine 2, and that was he best engine ever (because it was the last UE I really toyed around with). :colbert:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Blunderstorm posted:

Hey now, he's been the best thread sheriff since he was a little girl!

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

lol why is marching powder so mad

just sit back and relax and watch star citizen burn like the rest of us

marumaru
May 20, 2013

In case you weren't clear on the topic of the thread, trying reading it again.

:stare:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 12, 2016

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

incoming derek post about how he fixed that + link to patch notes

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lladre posted:

AHAHAHAAHAH. What alphabet is she using when she gives herself top billing?

Do I detect a pattern here?

• Locked thread