Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Richard 'Dicky' Barton-Morewood
2 bennies left

The flamethrower kicks back on him as he lets loose the stream of fire into the slowly closing gap of the blast door, but he keeps his grip and hold over the weapon steady as he hears the horrendous wails of the monster. He lets off the trigger just as the others let loose a hail of bullets causing the wailing to come to a decisive end seconds before the blast door meets the floor. As the sudden silence greets them then, all he can hear is his own ragged breaths and the dull ringing still lingering from the grenade blast.

"Sweet Christ, I think we actually got the bugger..." he says, filling the silence. A shaky grin comes and goes as he feels both the lingering terror that came from seeing that beast and the near overwhelming joy of knowing it is now finally dead. "Whatever the hell that was..." He swallows and shakes his head. "We can work out later. Good bloody work, team. A few too many close calls there. How is everyone shaped up?"

He starts to smell and see the smoke already drifting out the vent overhead. "If we don't do something about it, that fire's going to spread and get out of control. Doucet, do what you can with people's wounds. Those of you who don't need seeing to, try and find a fire hose or an extinguisher. We'll let that drat monster fry for a while longer but then we need to open this door up and fight the fire we just started." Giving himself only enough time to catch his breath, he then looks about their immediate surroundings for anything that might help put out a fire.

<A_Velociraptor> !wild d4 (Notice)
* AchtungBot rolled a (1d4) with wild die for A_Velociraptor and got ( 2 1 ) Results: 2

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Harry

He pants, waiting, watching as the door keeps on its slow yet inexorable track and the thing is roasted and peppered with lead. Finally it seems to collapse just as the door closes, leaving a strange quiet in its wake, just the faint odor of burning flesh, smoke and sound of a fire alarm going off somewhere within the base's vicinity.

He twists around, sitting up, still at the ready with the flamethrower, watching and listening, then sets the flamethrower's nozzle down and stands slowly, bringing his rifle to the ready. A quick scan of the docks (and a watchful eye on the vent) seems to give an all clear, but he hasn't forgotten the noises coming from the scuttled sub. He looks to Ronnie.

"Okay. Still need to clear the base, and--"

He takes a step towards the American then halts abruptly, wincing, and looks down at his leg. "And yeah. poo poo. Give us a tick, leg needs a splash of mercurochrome. Then we can head out." He looks about for some kind of firefighting setup. If they have fire alarms they have to some way to deal with it.

(2:56:15 PM) ***AchtungBot rolled a (1d4-1) with wild die for Oracle and got ( 8 0 ) Results: 8

Oracle fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 11, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Victoire Doucet, Maquisarde Medic, W 4/4, B 2, D 3/6, S 5/7

Victoire breathes a sigh of relief. Without a word she moves to some crates and tables nearby and sets down her first aid bag. Methodically she pulls out supplies and arranges them on top of the crate.

"First me, I can't take care of you with my arm like zis." she states matter of factly.

The morphine is starting to dull the pain a little and she pulls out some tweezers, sterilizes them with some alcohol and a flame and without emotion or hesitation starts digging for the shrapnel embedded in her arm. Once the pieces of metal are dropped on top of the crate she rips open a pack of sulfanilamide and sprinkles the powder on her wounds to disinfect them. She stitches up the biggest of the impact wounds figuring it would not heal properly on its own, a few needle jabs will suffice.

Finally she dresses the wound applying a compress and wrapping bandages around her left arm to secure it.

(21:39:20) ***AchtungBot rolled a (1d12) with wild die for FathisMunk and got ( 5 3 ) Results: 5

Healed my single wound, I'm busy with me for 10 min then I can take care of the next person.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Ronnie

Seeing, just barely, the pop of the thing's center mass is disturbing as everything else has been, but oddly cathartic for Ronnie. Two. We've taken two down, and no one's dead. That's some good work. And if there was any fight left in the thing, it would cook, regardless.

Using the stock of his M1, he props himself up onto one knee, still breathing a little heavy, eyes wild, adrenaline not yet subsiding. He nods rapidly at Dicky. "Think I got out alright, Sir." S/Sgt. Thomas still isn't sure how. A firefight is one thing - you keep your head down, stick to cover, and trust that even when there's a ton of lead flying through the air, most of it is going in directions that aren't you. Ronnie knows that from experience. But the creature had been gunning for him, and he only avoided being worse off by the slimmest of truly razor-thin margins.

He stands up. Another deep breath, and the nerves are gone. "Guess we all live to fight another day," Ronnie declares with the slightest hint of a central Pennsylvania drawl. He looks over at Harry, down at the wounded leg. "Just take it easy 'til the doc's got herself in working order first. We got time." Over at Victoire he adds, "Be careful we don't lose the only person that can stitch us back up, okay?" He quickly eyes all the other wounded - to his untrained eye none of them look mortally wounded, which is about all he is worried about for now. And the academics all seemed to make it out okay. He knows now that he has questions for them.

Back around to Dicky, Ronnie thinks a moment. "I can take a couple and go look. Probably want someone to check the power station too." A pause. "Though, if you don't mind me saying, Sir, I don't know if it would be much of a crime if this whole place burned out after we're gone."

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Grace

She unsteadily stands while pointing her rifle at the multifaceted carcass. The wide-eyed woman slowly stops aiming at it. "I am… what was that thing?" A pause. "What were those things?" After she stammering out a few thoughts, her frantic gaze turns to the smoke. "Um! The fire. Yes, you're right, sir. I'll look for something."

Notice check: * AchtungBot rolled a (1d6) with wild die for Razeam and got ( 1 5 ) Results: 5

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Sgt. Willis

Again he shoots. doesn't do much. Maybe aiming did a bit more than just spraying bullets in, Ted didn't know. Others were wounded. He wasn't. He'd just gone along quietly about his business in a professoinal manner in the background. Maybe he hadn't done anything too heroic, but he also hadn't really missed any of the shots he'd taken and he didn't seem to be too badly affected by whatever was going on. "They were Nazis," he offers. "And they are still trying to kill us. The other questions, they don't matter." Safing his submachinegun, he takes another drink from his canteen, eying the vents with some irritation. Hell. Just when they were getting a handle on things. He doesn't quite know if he wants to put the fire out or let the motherfucker burn. He could be persuaded either way, really.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yulia

Slowly emerging from her cover, she stands on uncertain legs, putting her unused weapon away where it can't harm anyone. The doctor's eyes roam from person to person, still trying to contextualize the monstrosity they'd fought, until Ronnie mentions the fire. Her eyes widen, "The fire."

Dimly, Yulia recalls that there was actually a mission - a point to all this. "The vault was mostly looted, I packed away the documents we found... The map from the communications center - I was writing..." She casts a look towards the blast doors, fishing the journal out of her satchel, "This may be our last chance." Our last chance to collect something that someone will believe. They'll all think we're crazy, right? She looks to the American, then Barton-Morewood, "If we cannot stop the fire, I would like permission to begin salvage."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

2 bennies left

He shakes his head at Ronnie. "After we're gone this place can burn down to the ground, but there's too much of the base we haven't checked over yet to let a fire rage while we're doing that. Especially one that will destroy that map we need and might then make it's way to the Power Room." Speaking of which, the man does make a good point of splitting their numbers once more. "Good thinking though, S.Sgt. Let's not waste too much time when there's plenty of ground to cover. Take Sgt. Willis here and see what the bloody bugger has done to the Power Room."

He pauses a moment before adding; "And, S.Sgt, considering what we're up against, don't feel like you need to wait for an order from me if you think of something vital that needs getting done from now on. If this were a mission like we were expecting, I'd say otherwise. But I think we all know this has gone beyond the realms of normality now." His teeth flash as a brief grin shows under his moustache. "Never did like a man who's rank exceeds mine calling me 'sir' anyway."

Turning to Yulia, he nods. "We'll try our luck with putting out the fire first, Doctor. Then we'll work with whatever options we have left after that if we should fail. You're right though, that map and whatever information it might still tell us is something worth trying to save to bring back to the brass" Sending someone through the vents is a possible option to retrieve the map but he's not willing to risk a life in the vents after the last horror he just saw crawling out of it.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Saxemberg Island - Hoffmann Station - South Docks

Taking a cursory look around, with some searching a fire-fighting pump and hose setup is discovered near the gantries on the docks; a high-pressure pump has been bolted to a heavy wheeled rigging with a lead-in line that can be draped down into the waters of the submarine pen. The pump appears to run off of a diesel engine--and even seems to have already seen relatively recent use, supported by the heavy scorch marks from a fire on the north side of the docks.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Ronnie

He smirks ever so slightly. "To be honest, it was a bit awkward calling you that," Ronnie says, then looks over at Irakliy. "Bet it was weirder for you too. But, you know, you get used to playing by the rules." He shrugs, looks off towards the power station for a moment. The command situation could've ended up a lot more chaotic than it had been, but now it was just picking up the pieces, anyway, and getting out. Hopefully the rest of the place was clear.

To Yulia, he says, "Even if we can't stop it, we'll probably have good time to clear the sub, double-check the vault, then clear the barracks - it's close to the entrance, anyway. I'm sure you all can figure out what needs brought with us." Ronnie pauses, then adds, gesturing at Grace, who seemed to have the same question, "And to figure out what the living hell made that poo poo happen, because someone's got to and that poo poo's way beyond my pay grade."

He looks at the eternally stoic Sgt. Willis, gestures in the direction of the power station, and says, "Let's make sure the drat lights don't go out, yeah?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov
3 Bennies left

Once the door is closed and the creature is gone, Izoldah shivered as she got up, leaving the flamethrower where she was. Her whole body jittered, and she found herself constantly looking at the emptiness of the vent above them, half expecting another monster to come out of it. She cursed herself. She'd gone out on her own many times. Where one dog sniffing her out, when fascist seeing her footsteps would have been her doom, with her fighting skill just changing how many fascists she might take down with her. And she'd done just fine. She'd faced the depravities of the fascists as the Red Army had advanced on them. She'd seen the results of the siege of Stalingrad. She was a Red army soldier. She shouldn't be sitting here shivering and clutching her rifle while the others seemed cool as cucumber. 'she's from a little village. Cannot deal with all the things in the wide world' So she got up, her face still white as a sheet, still shivering a bit.

"I am not injured." She forced herself into standing at attention and nodded. "i'm ready to help fire fighting, or join the others in the power room." She tried to keep a veneer of calm,, but her lip was twitching a bit.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Sgt. Willis

After a blank look from Ted, he adds, "If the fire gets to it, I sure as hell can't save it." Despite that dour warning, he indeed begins going towards the power room.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Starshiy Leytenant Irakliy Kuznetsov

From the ground, Irakliy's one of the ones in the best position to watch as Franz crackles and, finally, dies. He lets himself go limp, for a moment. Just a moment. Finally it's dead.

After that bit, he rouses himself, and drags himself into a sitting position against one of the walls. "Finally." Based on experience he figures he's not got very long before the adrenaline wears off and his entire body starts screaming at him for what he's been trying to do with that hole in his side, so he just stays there and listens to the babble. It's only after it dies down a bit, and the plan to check the power room is hashed out, that he raises a hand. "Sir... I think I need medic before I am going to do..." He tries to chuckle. "Well, anything else." He leans up, very serious. "We need to find Dimitry. If there is something else out there one man cannot survive alone against it for long."

He sinks back down, leaning hard against the wall, just watching as what was once Franz burns.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov
3 Bennies left

Izoldah jumped as if stung at that. "Of course, Comrade Lieutenant. I volunteer to go look for him. But as you say, perhaps best not alone." The thought of their fellow on his own in this place gave her a new jolt of energy.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Grace

Grace blanches a little when the power room is brought up. "I'll help how I can with our firefighting, sir."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Bradley Hewitt

After the monster went down, he knew something had to be done to stop the fire from getting out of control. They couldn't just let the flames take the whole place. There were a lot of unanswered questions in this base and he hoped the Nazis left something that might give them answers.

Helping out with the fire fighting. Bennies: 2

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Harry

He moves to the firefighting equipment, partially hidden by some of the crates where Victoire has set up her makeshift first aid station, limping slightly as he shoulders his rifle and patting Izoldah on the shoulder as he passes. "Good. Keep look out while I start this."

"Here." He yanks the hose off the reel with one smooth motion, walking towards the submarine pit and lowering the end with the suction into it, then moves back to the diesel motor and starts yanking on the ripcord.

"That," he grunts, as it coughs, sputters, then dies. "Was ngā aitanga," he yanks again, "a Punga," it sputters longer, dies again. He adjusts the choke. "rāua Whiro."

Another yank and the diesel engine finally sputters to life, then settles into a mostly regular hum. He grabs the end of the hose and limps on over to the closed blast door. "I think it has cooked enough, yeah? Should be done by now. We can finish the burn after we're done with this place."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yulia

She looks after Izoldah & Irakliy, bowing her head in gratitude, "<Thank you for seeing to Dimitry, bring him back safe then, alright?>" She looks over her shoulder and nods to Ted, then back to the other Soviets, "<I'll go with this one, then we can see about salvaging whatever's left.>" Patting the other Soviet woman on the shoulder, she flashes them a tight smile - and it takes a lot of effort to smile here - and heads off to join Sgt. Willis, "More than just lights - without the generator... the doors, the vents -- this place becomes...distinctly more unpleasant, yes? I will come to help again."

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 12, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

While she is tending to her wounds she raises her eyes from time to time, gazing disinterestedly at her companions. Putting out the fire seemed like a good idea she guessed. When she sees Irakliy slump down against a wall she calls out to him.

"Ira, come over 'ere. I will do you once I'm finished with myself."

She returns her attention to her wounded left arm.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Ambience

With the fire hose drawn from its spool, the blast door to the command centre whirs with hidden machinery as mechanisms begin to raise it once more. Black smoke unfurls from beneath the door as flames become swiftly evident, a wafting wave of cloying heat escaping to those nearby; joining this is the sharp smell of charred meat, sizzled fluids and scorched bones among other more chemical aromas--a dizzying bouquet.

Lights flicker overhead, the buzzing sounding again--before a grinding click sounds off with a loud ratcheting CLANG; the blast door comes to an unceremonious halt with the screech of unseen tracks eight inches raised from the floor. Murphy's laws seem to dwell prevalent over the station: the blast door's mechanism has apparently chosen now to burn out.

Harry has room enough to spray the hose beneath the door--but entrance and egress from the corridor beyond would be something of a squeeze for any making their way through now.

Saxemberg Island - Hoffmann Station - Power Station

Rounding the access corridor once the bulkhead door has been opened, Sgt. Willis and Dr. Khulanova find their senses assaulted by smeared streaks of rotten meat still clinging to the porous concrete--joined as well by smoke and other wafting odors making it difficult to breath. Sweeping the corner, the way into the power station seems clear--the bulkhead beyond still ajar. Lights flicker inside, smoke sputtering free from a few portions of the control instruments.

After a brief assessment, Ted finds repairs could be affected again--but the continued operation of the power subsystems for the submarine base were liable to be on borrowed time. These repairs would require some additional tools and parts--but Ted and Yulia had spied both among the Workshops.

Every time a blast door opens or closes in the Station, a card is drawn--they have a downright random chance of just burning out due to disrepair and failing systems. Now happened to be the time for this door to draw the Black Joker, with some impeccable timing.

Ted finds the power instruments have been damaged from when Franz tried helping operate them. He can make a Repair test; if he meets a 4, he can relatively stabilize the systems barring some periodic power fluctuations for approximately an hour.

If Ted manages a raise to 8, double that--and doubled again for each additional raise. Repairs this time will require some more tools--but he already recognized more or less everything he needed back in the Workshop.

It isn't particularly onerous to have them brought over or retrieve them himself, just some extra legwork (no rolls or whatnot are necessary, as long as someone is tasked with the job, it will be done.)

Victoire heals Irakliy of one wound but not both; Irakliy has one wound remaining, which is beyond Victoire's capabilities. (You get one shot at Healing wounds successfully per medical practitioner; the results are considered the best of their ability.)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Victoire removes the makeshift dressing she had put over Irakliy's wound previously.

"Zat is a very nasty wound. Conditions not ideal." she looks around at the boxes. "Will do what I can."

She cleans it thoroughly and gets it to close as well as she can before applying a fresh compress and bandage. It should hold but the wound will require follow-up over the coming days.

Healing d12+2 3,7 (seriously...)
Healing supplies consumed me+irakliy 2d4=3, 7 remaining.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy chuckles softly. "I thought it would be end of me, on first hit. Felt like getting hit by truck made of NNGH!" He grits his teeth as the wound is tended to, pulling off what's left of his combat webbing and biting down into the leather.

Once she's done, he clambers back to his feet. His torso feels like it's been manhandled by a stamping machine, his webbing is shot, his Sten is gone, and there's no alcohol left. But he's alive. He claps Victoire on the shoulder. "Spasibo, comrade. I think I can keep going for a while longer now." Provided I don't get loving hit again, he thinks. He walks over to the fire zone, where the blaze appears to have finally been put under control, and grabs Izoldah's and Dicky's attention. "Commander! With your permission, I would go with Comrade Rostov to search for our missing serzhant."

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 12, 2016

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Sgt. Willis

On entering the power station, he simply looks at the equipment for a silent two minutes, eyes roving over the mass of machinery and mentally cataloguing both the damage he could see and the likely damage that he couldn't. After finishing, "I believe I remember the German on the dials. Doctor, if you could, go back to the workshop and get me the tools that-" pausing, he describes the things he thinks he'll need. He starts working even before the good doctor returns, since there were some things that didn't need any special extra hardware for him to fix. "The German tried to sabotage this," he says, getting things exactly wrong but with little likelihood of ever knowing it. "They still have wits. Not much, or he could have done a better job." That is is sole comment as he works, until after a while he stands up and starts walking unhurriedly to the door. Once getting there, he says, "At least two hours. Maybe twice that. To do more would take a full teardown and rebuild, and I am not sure that would help. It's stable. Might last to midday at least." Ted keeps walking, intending to go report their new timeline and see what progress was being made with firefighting since that could easily invalidate his work here.

06:40 Mukaikubo !wild d8
06:40 AchtungBot rolled a (1d8) with wild die for Mukaikubo and got ( 14 4 ) Results: 14

We got four hours.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

2 bennies left

He shouts a "Good luck." at Ronnie, Yulia and Ted as they go to check out the Power Room. He can only pray the creature didn't do any damage in there that will seriously hinder their mission. When Harry locates the fire equipment, he helps the man haul the hose to the blast door and has to scrunch up his nose and breath through his mouth when the door opens to let forth the foul stench of the roasting monster's carcass. He curse under his breath as the door rises only a few inches before it splutters and dies. "Christ... Well at least we can get the hose under." Lending a hand with cleaning up his own mess, he shoves the hose in through the gap and start spraying water with the hope that it at least puts out the worst of the flames.

When Kuznetsov grabs his attention, he turns slightly to regard the man while still keeping a hold on the hose. "I couldn't agree more. Leave no man behind. For all we know he might have tried to flee the base and return to the boats. Good luck in your search. If you see or hear any sign of these...monsters still lurking around, call, shout or shoot and we'll come running."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Harry

"Yeah, its pong," he agrees with Dicky as he lets the man take over the hosing duties. "Everybody always says war is hell, noone ever tells you about the stink." Seeing Irakliy finishing up with Victoire, he heads on over for his own turn, pulling himself up on the crate and laying his leg across it for easier access.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

"Hmm, the wound isn't very bad, zis is easy to fix." Victoire seems almost disappointed. Treating people is comforting to her, a safe and easy way to help her side and bring about the Nazi's end.

She cuts the shredded pant leg below the knee and removes it before cleaning the wound. Fiddling around a bit she tries to fit a single compress across the whole gash but the sheer size of Harry's leg makes it difficult. In the end she has to resign herself to use more compresses and bandages to secure them.

Once she's done she packs up her gear and is ready to help sweeping the base.

Healing d12+3 13
Healing supplies consumed 1d4=4, 3 remaining.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 12, 2016

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Harry

Harry sounds amused. "Well next time I'll make sure I get laid open nice an' proper, just for you." He studies the missing pant leg, then takes the knife off his belt and cuts the other one to match. "Not like we'll be trampin' through the bush," he comments. "And I don't fancy meeting my maker lookin' like Diddle Diddle Dumplin'."

He slides off the crate, checking on the status of the fire and making drat sure there's no more skittering remnants that might be looking for escape - or a rematch. "Right. So we goin' sweep an' clear and keepin' an eye peeled for Dimitri along the way?" His eyes flit over to the sub as he picks up Izoldah's discarded flamethrower, slinging it over his back. "Heard somethin' bangin' around in there before the whole bit with the..." he jerks his thumb in the direction of the remains of Franz.

Going to make sure Franz doesn't have any of the same surprises that Hans did before we start clearing the rest of the base. Also picking up the flamethrower.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 12, 2016

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

After a few minutes of operating the hose with no shortage of steam unfurling from beneath the blast door, the flames seem to have been quenched--though the lingering heat is still notable. Whatever twisty remains of the creature lay charred in the concrete corridor are left with a terrible smell--but bellying down to take a look beneath the door, no apparent movement stirs. Once the way is cleared, with a bit of bravado and a squeeze, passage beneath the blast door is achievable, opening the way to the command centre and map room once more.

Saxemberg Island - Hoffmann Station - Command Centre Access

Without the horror shambling on the move, it is clear now that its particular mass must have been comprised of at least seven adult humans--along with other, less readily discernible biomass. Once he has navigated his way past the gruesome remains, Sgt. Barton-Morewood reaches the map room and finds to some relief that the broader map is still largely intact.

There is some smoke damage, but with a bit of effort the man is able to retrieve the pertinent span of the map. Afterward, fairly certain there is nothing else of value to be cleaned from this wing of the base, Dicky returns to the southern docks.

With power relatively stabilized and the fire suppressed, the team is left with fairly open access to the rest of the facility. The rest of the personnel wing of the base remains to be explored, along with the stores, magazine, scuttled sub and remainder of the vault.

To this end, you're essentially on your final sweep for the base--there are simply things that may or may not be missed, so it's down to your approach for scouring the rest of Hoffmann Station--and whether or not you can defeat Dimitry with his newfound cosmic power.

Dicky succeeded at a Nausea test from the gruesome remains of Franz.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy nods. "Right." He turns around, hefting his Sten. "Izoldah, Harry, with me. We shall sweep first areas north of the docks and then submarine. Room by room. We have managed to not lose anyone thus far; watch each others' backs."

He points, then sets off. "And maybe we can use flamethrower to burn source of stink. I have had quite enough of vegetable smell."

Plan for this group is to scour the barracks wing, then the stores. Saving the submarine for last.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 12, 2016

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Ronnie

Standing guard while Ted goes to work, Ronnie is mostly quiet until the Sgt. gives his diagnosis. For some reason, it struck Ronnie that Ted always seems to be answering questions before they're asked. Helpful, but also a touch uncanny. But then, if that's the most unsettling thing for the rest of the mission, Ronnie is okay with that.

He nods in acknowledgement, though he doesn't seem thrilled with the news. Grimacing, he looks back and forth between Ted and Yulia for a moment, then says, "Well, if that's what we got, that's what we got. Better be sure we're out before then." Pausing in thought for a moment, he remembers the storm outside. "Better hope everything eased up topside, too." With that perhaps obvious observation, S/Sgt. Thomas gets himself moving back towards the command center as well to see what's what.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Harry

He arches an eyebrow at Irakliy as he loads his rifle. "Heard noises coming from the sub, mate. We're gonna have hostiles at both group's backs and possibly blocking the way out if we don't clear it first."

Oracle fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 12, 2016

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

2 bennies left

After working the hose for some time and most of the smoke clears, he turns off the hose and drops it unceremoniously to the ground. "Right, give me a second, chaps." Unburdening himself of the flamethrower temporarily, he then drops to his stomach and grits his teeth as he struggles through the small gap. He steels himself further as he wiggles past the charred, sickly-smelling remains of the monster, praying inwardly that it doesn't suddenly spring back to life and add his own face to it's horrid collection. He only regards the dead creature long enough to make sure it is most certainly dead before his stomach can't bear to look anymore.

With a quick jog down the singed corridor, he retrieves the map from the Map Room with little hassle, even pocketing as many of the magnetic markers as he can find. With the map under his arm, he doubles back to the blast door before the thought of being here on his own makes him completely terrified.

Back at the blast door, he slides the map out ahead of him before popping out again himself once more to rejoin the others. "Well, the fire's out and that monsters most assuredly dead so that's two less thing to worry about. Even got the map in tact to give back to the brass," he says with a pat of the map under his arm.

He turns to Sebastian and unloads the map on the lad with a; "If you wouldn't mind, dear chap." as he then re-fixes the flamethrower tank onto his back and the nozzle in his hands.

The worst of the wounded seem to have been attended to in good time, so nothing is left but to continue their sweep of the base. As Harry joins the Russians, he looks over at the Frenchwoman. "Miss Doucet, tag along with them too. I'd rather they were travelling with their doctor." He can't help but grin a little at that.

To the Academics with him, he says as he frees a hand to pick up the Sten he previously dropped; "How about we give that Vault a good clear out?"

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 12, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Victoire Doucet, Maquisarde Medic, W 4/4, B 2, D 3/6, S 7/7

Without a word she reloads her shotgun and joins the team to sweep the north western part of the base. She hopes the medical wing might still hold some files and that they were not destroyed during the evacuation like so much else.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Grace

After she more or less acts as cheerleader for the firefighting effort, Ms. Flynn absentmindedly nods at their commanding officer. She purses her lips and then muses, "Something must explain all this… the dead shouldn't come back so twisted."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Ronnie

Hustling back from the power station, Ronnie says flatly, "He says it'll only hold up a few more hours. So let's keep moving fast." To Dicky, he suggests, "Could help you double-check the vault again. Might want to clear some other areas with them in tow while Lt. Kuznetsov's team is working elsewhere, if we want to make sure we clear everything."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

2 bennies left

To Ronnie, he nods grimly. "Four hours, huh? We all better move like the devil's chasing us then." Which he thinks rather grimly, it already has. "Won't say no to the extra help, S.Sgt. Let's get a move on to the Vault then."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Saxemberg Island - Hoffmann Station - Personnel Wing

With tasks sorted and destinations mapped, the team separates to tackle their respective sections of Hoffmann Station, making due haste as the power station's click ticks down.

Saxemberg Island - Hoffmann Station - Operations

Sweeping into the northwest quarters of the station, the first stop is the Operations room opposite the corridor to the main entrance of the base. Within, there are signs of having been dedicated to logistics and submarine operations--with smatterings of equipment and debris suggesting the presence of materials to such an effect. Irakliy is able to spy burnt fragments of order sheets and logbooks among the ash on the floor--though the destructive departure of the Germans have rendered most indecipherable.

Still, the team is able to recover a number of partially complete materials which appear to be codified with cryptographic efforts--candidates for academic deciphering.

Saxemberg Island - Hoffmann Station - Medical

Even from the doorway, it is clear that Hoffmann Station's pharmaceutical and medical facilities have been stripped bare during the apparent withdraw from the base. A few tables and chairs remain in the wardroom, mostly lying in a twisted pile at the western end of the room. Nothing else of value or interest is found after a prolonged search.

Saxemberg Island - Hoffmann Station - Officer's Mess

Rounding the corner of the corridor, the sweep team enters the separate officer's mess hall; unlike the larger mess adjoined to the barracks, this room seems to have been cleaned and tidied during the departure process. While the air is a touch stale, the presence of rotted meats and vegetables--and their pungent aromas--are absent. Taking a few moments to search further, Izoldah makes the discovery of a prize pair of bottles packed away in one of the cupboards: two bottles of fine Cognac.

Saxemberg Island - Hoffmann Station - Commander's Quarters

Opposite the officer mess, the sweep team enters what seems to have been the quarters of the Hoffmann Station's commanding officer. Though predominantly spartan and stripped of most of its furnishings, a search of the vicinity finds a stuck desk drawer--upon opening which, Izoldah finds a second discovery. Within, an SS dagger sits in a black leather sheath, accompanied by a small case with a monocle inside. As well, a copy of Signal magazine is found, its cover portraying the proud silhouette of a German officer gazing skyward as a sky filled with Luftwaffe craft flies by.

Markings on the floor suggest the desk had been moved aside at various points, while dark brown stains carry a faint smell of copper on the air. Beyond this, nothing else is found here.

Saxemberg Island - Hoffmann Station - Officer's Quarters

Proceeding further northward, the sweep team finally checks the last few rooms--four separate officer's quarters, it would seem. Though less sparse than the barracks accommodations had been, the facilities in these four rooms suggests a modicum of comfort and privacy for U-boat captains and other officers of the base. However, nothing beyond bedding and spartan furnishings seems to have been left behind in the wake of the base withdraw.

Saxemberg Island - Hoffmann Station - Stores

Checking the stores on the northern side of the docks, the rooms have been fully emptied of supplies and cargo--occupied only by a series of steel-framed shelves now. Here, the Germans have been quite thorough.

Saxemberg Island - Hoffmann Station - Magazine

Behind heavy steel doors, the magazine boasts heavily reinforced concrete and steel chambers. Within, a considerable number of torpedoes are still in storage--even more than mere munitions supply; it would seem that the Germans may have purposefully stripped departing submarines of ordinance in order to increase their cargo capacity. A majority of the munitions still remaining appear to be G7e/T3 straight-running torpedoes--but three T4 Falke acoustic homing torpedoes have also been stowed.

Additionally, the magazine rooms hold a considerable stockpile of 88mm high explosive shells suitable for the deck guns of submarine craft and other vessels. Beside one of the racks of 88mm shell boxes sits a Sten gun in the absence of ordinance.

Sweeps and searches have been made throughout the northwest portion of the base, as well as the stores and magazine, consolidated for conciseness here.

animedragonfly
Sep 12, 2016
Sebastian

Received that map and tucked it away into his satchel .. He nodded to Dicky in agreement that the vault needed further exploration but he would stay back some. After getting touched by the monstrosity then having a grenade tossed at him he was a bit overwhelmed by any hint that there might be more combat. He was not a fighter. He did not have the constitution for it.

There was a slight twinge in his eyes at being called chap around the rabble that were the common solders gathered about but nothing was said. Dicky was his superior at this moment in time so he would grin and bear it especially if it meant he could get back into the vault where there might be books or something of intrest

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy jabs a finger at the submarine as they pass, keeled over and with a hole blown in the side. "I doubt our comrade would have gone in there for shelter in panic. But besides such, submarine will be covered by other team while they search vault and north facilities." He frowns as they pass by. "I have never been inside submarine, but I doubt it will be spacious. I would rather wait until we can sweep as group."

===

To Irakliy's dismay, no trace of Dimitry is found in the operations wing. Much else is yielded, however--including the cognac, which brings a smile to Irakliy's face. "Hopefully the bastards haven't poisoned it, or something." He uncorks one of the bottles, and takes an appreciative sniff. "Ruining such a luxury would be a true crime."

The commander's quarters sobers him up, rather, and he squats down, examining the stains and rubbing the marks on the floor. "These are bloodstains, or I have never seen any. The color and smell... but they are not as, well, messy as I would expect from what we have encountered here." He turns his attention to the desk. "This is peculiar. Why would commander go to trouble of moving his own desk, and repeatedly?" He eyeballs the desk, and raps it a few times, but no answers reveal themselves. He does chuckle mirthlessly at the finding of the monocle, however. "What next, riding crop?"

Eventually, though, he sighs. Apart from their loot, the scraps of the cryptography, and possibly the issue of Signal, the operations wing appears to have been thoroughly sorted out. "Well. We should rendezvous at vault."

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yulia

For most of the Quest for Comrade Dimitry, Yulia has been biting at the back end of a pencil, eyes down in a journal where she has been attempting to pick apart the cipher the Germans have employed for their submarine routes. She isn't make much progress but her brain appreciates a challenge that is familiar - cryptography is much preferable to... the melted Nazi-dog-faced beast she is trying not to think of. Periodically, she murmurs a brief 'da' to something Irakliy has said, without really mindering the soldier much. He says something about a rendezvous at the vault when she finally looks up from her notes.

"Move his desk?" Scooting aside her boot, Dr. Khulanova looks down at the floor and tilts her head. Strange. "Comrade Sergeant, could you help me move this desk again? It could be educational. Or not. Humor me?"

Yulia has read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and assorted parlor mysteries, she's keen to these sorts of mysteries, not sure if this is a time to roll a skill or not!