Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Is facebook social fixer for firefox any good performance-wise? It seems to do some helpful things but I'm wondering if adding another layer of javascript over an already clunky site will be an awful idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I can't answer that but I use FB Purity and it seems OK.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGsDWRxfjTk&t=3396s

Anyone got any info or confirmation on this?

Apparently, both Firefox and Chrome write their respective recovery sessions every 15 seconds. Firefox supposedly does 10GB a day and this will eventually kill an SSD faster than normal unless you tweak the settings.

Crossposting from the SSD and Chrome threads, apparently Firefox and Chrome are the main ones that do this? Chrome supposedly does 1GB per hour.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, both Firefox and Chrome write their respective recovery sessions every 15 seconds. Firefox supposedly does 10GB a day and this will eventually kill an SSD faster than normal unless you tweak the settings.

Crossposting from the SSD and Chrome threads, apparently Firefox and Chrome are the main ones that do this? Chrome supposedly does 1GB per hour.

I have my doubts because I've been running firefox with hundreds of tabs open every day for nearly 2 years and the tool they got their info from thinks my 240 gb drive will last over 9 more years. If you have a very small 1 Hung Lo brand drive you might have problems but Intel and Samsung both guarantee around 50 GB/day in writes on drives that size. My page file is on there plus both Chrome and Firefox and it's barely averaging 20 GB/day.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 11, 2016

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

This came up on the last page:

mike12345 posted:

Interesting tidbit linked from Hacker News

https://www.servethehome.com/firefox-is-eating-your-ssd-here-is-how-to-fix-it/

As someone mentioned, SSDs should be able to cope with it, but what do I know.
I set my session store info to 30 minutes(1800000 ms) like the article suggested and haven't seen any negative issues. Even if the article's blowing the issue out of proportion I figure it can't hurt. I suspect it won't correctly restore my session if Firefox crashes now, but I'm not one of those people who constantly leave hundreds of tabs open so whatever. I haven't noticed any different behavior from exiting cleanly.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
And apparently the bulk of writes Firefox does are because of the cookies file.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
How long has this setting been active?

Because according to ssdlife I still have 8 years left in my 3-year-old ssd. So if it's been a thing for longer than 3 years, the ssd should be pretty much toast at this point according to the theory.

And I'm exactly the kind of person who often has a million tabs open (now that Firefox isn't as crashy for me anymore as it was 6 months ago)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I remember seeing an article by someone who stress-tested a bunch of SSDs for months, to see how much he could write on them before they died. Most of them lasted a good deal longer than the manufacturers said they would.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I could swear there was a nearly identical story about excessive writes from a different program, with the same "your SSD will die" scare line, and the end result was that a lot of supposed writes just hit the cache over and over before being written. What the windows storage driver considers a write, and what's actually going on in the SSD, are potentially not the same.

Kassad posted:

I remember seeing an article by someone who stress-tested a bunch of SSDs for months, to see how much he could write on them before they died. Most of them lasted a good deal longer than the manufacturers said they would.

Yeah that's the TR endurance test: your SSD will probably last for hundreds of terrabytes written and even after that you should be more afraid of a manufacturer's kill switch than a natural death.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
There was a lot of concern about reliability with early SSDs because they used much lower quality flash memory, and it was obvious they were failing well before their rated lifespans. However, with time it became clear that they didn't wear out early, drives with low quality components just died randomly and you couldn't extend their lifespans by babying them, and drives that weren't poo poo would last their full rated lives or longer.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is Firefox IDE a thing that can just randomly pop up for you, or pops up from a keyboard command?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

spit on my clit posted:

Is Firefox IDE a thing that can just randomly pop up for you, or pops up from a keyboard command?

If you mean the developer tools, they pop up from F12

Read
Dec 21, 2010

A lot of shortcuts can pop them up actually.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The latest beta seems to have expanded the e10s "cohort", it's enabled by default for me now despite having a bunch of add-ons installed.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

some neat stuff

http://www.debugpoint.com/2016/10/firefox-launches-experimental-features/

really liking tab center

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Wow that's awesome. I felt a little sad when Mozilla said they were basically killing their labs projects. This new stuff is pretty neat. My mind is going for a trip as I get used to Tab Centre but it definitely makes more use of the loads of whitespace most pages have. Also the live view in the thumbnails is a nice addition (And replaces Tab Scope which I was using for that purpose). Even though I have two monitors the Min Vid addon will be loads useful on my laptop when I'm out and about (I like having videos playing in the background while I'm doing stuff, but hate having to switch windows/tabs all the time). Page Shot solves the hassle of screenshotting and uploading images to imgur just to show a friend something, or trying to transfer via Skype. And finally Activity Stream is cool, but they've definitely got to add back in the ability to pin sites quickly. I don't need huge buttons like the normal New Tab screen but a small grid of pinned sites would be ace.

So yeah, glad to mess around with this.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How customizable is Tab Center? Those tabs with the preview pic and url are way too tall. I'll probably stick to Tree Style Tabs but it's nice to see them finally get around to a vertical tab bar.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Does PageShot allow you to take a screenshot of the whole page until the end, instead of just the current viewport? I would like something to replace "Awesome Screenshot".

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Nalin posted:

Does PageShot allow you to take a screenshot of the whole page until the end, instead of just the current viewport? I would like something to replace "Awesome Screenshot".
Not 100% sure, but the built in dev tools have had this available, too.

Shift + F2, then type "screenshot --fullpage <optional file name>" and you'll get a PNG saved in your downloads folder that covers the entire page. Some sites with CSS that sets "position: fixed" may look funky, but it works.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Nalin posted:

You can click and drag the area to cover more than the current viewed section but there's no easy way to select the whole page from what I can see.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Greenshot can do it, with the caveat that you see a funky scrollbar in the output image.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The Firefox Dev tools can also take a full page screenshot. Odd if the more public tool couldn't

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
The more-public tool is the dev tools. PageShot is an opt-in experiment made to see if people like the idea. If they do, I expect it will be enhanced before landing in Firefox proper.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I use Web Paint to take screenshots, because it also allows to add text, circles, and there's a draw tool.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Firefox is at 47.0.1 for me, and About says it's up to date, yet the website download is 49.0.1. I'm guessing some add-on I have is messing with it?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You can install an updated version of Firefox over an existing version of it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just went to the website, downloaded and installed 49.0.1, and now I have two versions of Firefox: 47.0.1 and 49.0.1... :psyduck:

Oh. I see. I just checked the CP, and 47.0.1 is (x64), while 49.0.1 is (x86).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yeah, Mozilla (the company) and Windows don't get along too well, only enough to deal with MS's saturation market share, and also I have no idea why they still acknowledge x86 in 2016. Probably because they're about the only browser still supporting XP (eww).

"Firefox for Other Platforms & Languages" should let you get at a Win64 installer.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Is Firefox's WebRTC support broken for anyone else? I'm using 64-bit on Windows, and it's not picking up any sound from my microphone, despite it showing up in the list. Chrome works fine, and I'm not allowing applications to get exclusive control of the microphone.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dont be mean to me posted:

Yeah, Mozilla (the company) and Windows don't get along too well, only enough to deal with MS's saturation market share, and also I have no idea why they still acknowledge x86 in 2016.

It's because tons of business sites still need NPAPI plugins for various things, and they stripped that out of 64 bit Firefox. Also Chrome and Edge still come in 32 bit versions for older computers or people who can't run 64 bit windows for other reasons. Why should Mozilla drop 32 bit support before the competitors do?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Is there an extension or sumthin which allows you to run the same sort of thing as Firefox Sync, but instead of uploading to a cloud service it's all dumped to disk? I'm tired of Firefox Sync sometimes working and sometimes logging out when using the PassIfox Keepass extension, but I'm not sick of it enough to use a different browser.

Thanks (will check thread in the morning) :tootzzz:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

apropos man posted:

Is there an extension or sumthin which allows you to run the same sort of thing as Firefox Sync, but instead of uploading to a cloud service it's all dumped to disk? I'm tired of Firefox Sync sometimes working and sometimes logging out when using the PassIfox Keepass extension, but I'm not sick of it enough to use a different browser.

Thanks (will check thread in the morning) :tootzzz:

Just set up a scheduled task to backup your profile every day. The purpose of sync is to store pieces of your Firefox profile on the cloud to easily transfer it to many devices. If you only want to store it on your disk, just back up your profile.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Sounds like a solid DIY plan. I'll try zipping up the profile periodically and copying it somewhere, thanks.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I'm suddenly getting sound desync on youtube in fullscreen. Exiting and re-entering fullscreen seems to fix it for a few minutes.

e: no wait, it requires pausing the video too.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 23, 2016

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Well I wanted to like Minvid but I noticed it was causing Firefox to perform really poorly. Even not having used it that session Firefox was consistently using an entire CPU core, taking extra time to switch between tabs, and was visibly choppy when scrolling.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1142924
https://github.com/meandavejustice/min-vid/issues/418

Looks like I'm not the only one having the problem, though the github issue seems to deal with people actually using the feature instead of it just misbehaving on its own.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 25, 2016

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I actually come here to post about MinVid. For the longest time I thought it was Tab Centre that was killing it because of the live tile updates but it turned out it was MinVid despite me not using it pretty much at all on my desktop. It sucks too because it's such a cool idea. Here's hoping they tidy it up.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

This is essentially the functionality people are looking for with MinVid, right?

You just need to install the Open With addon, download mpv, make an Open With entry for mpv and then download youtube-dl and stick it in the same directory as mpv.

e: This also works on the majority of video hosts, I'm not sure what MinVid is limited to.

Read fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 25, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
mpv with youtube-dl is so great, I abuse it all the time now

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is MPV better than Potplayer? Does it play borderless? I have to say, I like that idea.

What did you use to make this? Gooncam no longer works for me and the Xbox live recording app eats rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
mpv is a fork of mplayer, that added some lovely GUI, but is otherwise the same best media player

It also has really good support for youtube-dl though, which means it can probably play 99% of the content found on the internet, and the caching feels really good. seeking youtube videos is nearly lag free unless you go berserk. Yes, you can also get it to play borderless by adding --no-border to the command line, which the open with extension will allow easily.