Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Carcer posted:

That wasn't a challenge. That was me stating there’s a problem that is a pain in the rear end to deal with. I don't think I should be dodging multiple predators in the "safe" shallows to get into or out of the lifepod.

I mean, you shouldn't, because that's a thing that shouldn't happen unless something in the game is broken. Even if a stray stalker pokes their snout into the shallows they don't just stick around, and sandsharks shouldn't make it anywhere near that far. Has your pod floated to a spot where the kelp forest meets the grassy plateaus or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
No, the pod was still where it spawned. A gasopod eventually came near and killed the shark, letting me get out and deal with the stalkers. I haven't had another sandshark get right under the lifepod again, but theres another one meandering around the nearby that is probably going to get killed by the gasopods also nearby my lifepod.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Dyz posted:

I usually ignore them entirely if I have something to do and they haven't bothered me in 99% of cases. In the other 1% they attack me until they decide to use the teleport which usually transports you or them outside of their aggression range.
This is your number 1 goto strategy for dealing with Predators. Generally if you GTF away from them they won't mess with you. When you do have to mess with them, you want to be quick about it (unless you have the tools to deal with them.)

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Carcer posted:

There are 2 stalkers and a sandshark outside my lifepod. I cannot kill them, as they team up on me when I try and deal with one of them and the knife is terrible at killing them anyway. I don't have the propulsion cannon yet and it wouldn't solve my problem as I suspect they'd just come back.

If I can't have a spear gun, give me something thats lethal but can only be recharged at the lifepod as a one shot emergency weapon.

I know it's a bit late, but it is possible to kill that much wildlife with the knife if you can circlestrafe them well. All of the large predators in this game turn like an 18 wheeler truck compared to you, even the Sea Dragon and the reaper if you are light enough/in a seamoth. You can basically dance in a circle around them as long as you keep your crosshair on them.

You are also faster than most of the smaller predators if you aren't too heavy, so you can lead them away as well.

Sandsharks are total assholes though.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So did the target date for 1.0 get pushed back? I keep holding off playing this game till its done.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Roadmap has 1.0 in January.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Dyz posted:

-advice-

Thanks for the advice, belated as it may be. Actually fighting things with the knife isn't that hard, as you say, my problem was that if I tried to tangle with one they'd all jump me from different angles and disrupt my ability to strike back. The sand shark was especially annoying as it would charge me then dive into the sand, leaving me unable to even get a hit in before the stalkers would charge me as well.

There’s a second sand shark about 20 metres away from my lifepod again, though this one seems to be fixated on fighting a gasopod and hasn't done anything else for about 3 days now.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Oh god my cyclops dissapeared after I reloaded the save I made after crafting it. Took me forever to build that thing. Looks like there might be a workaround but I'm not sure I can be bothered now :/

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Oh god my cyclops dissapeared after I reloaded the save I made after crafting it. Took me forever to build that thing. Looks like there might be a workaround but I'm not sure I can be bothered now :/

You can console in a cyclops and go into creative mode to add any improvements you'd made.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The game really opens up once you get the cyclops. Instead of cowering at the edge of the deeper biomes I can now actually go out and see how pretty everything is. Even those crabsquids that terrified me in the seamoth.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

How exactly do you recharge the seaglide?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You can press "R" to exchange the battery on any held-item that uses them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

dumb and kinda scared posted:

How exactly do you recharge the seaglide?

Press "R" to open the battery menu when using it. You can remove old batteries from there, and add fresh ones in. Pop the old batteries in the fabricated recharger to top them up again.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Been playing this for a while now and I half love it and hate it. Basically I love everything except one thing : the constant swarm of enemies. It seem barely a move can be made without having to constantly switch between my fighting knife, awkwardly circling around the enemy, and then resuming exploration for 15 seconds until a new enemy arrive and the dance starts again. I find it really breaks the flow of the game. Is there something fundamental I'm missing, or is this just a question of enemy spawn that will be balanced before release (in case someone heard about devs' plans).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Are you killing everything that attacks you? It's a survival knife for taking samples and maybe getting rid of a rogue stalker next to your base. Not a fighting knife.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Nah I don't kill them. I basically hit them once so they run away someplace else. But even then it seems to never stop.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You're not missing anything, right now there are too many sand sharks and bone sharks (and maybe stalkers) in some biomes and there’s not much you can do about it before you get the seamoth other than be really objective oriented and not stop to explore.

edit: with 2 air tanks and fins you can actually swim a bit faster than sandsharks can home into you, so they're not too hard to avoid at least. Don't try this with bone sharks.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 13, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is the Aurora supposed to be full of so many invisible walls? I feel like every time I try to get anywhere inside, I bump into one, to the extent that I managed to get stuck in a small pocket of them and drowned. :(

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I never ran into invisible walls, but I did find one spot where I consistently fell through the ground and couldn't go around. I don't think they've quite finished up with it yet.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

Been playing this for a while now and I half love it and hate it. Basically I love everything except one thing : the constant swarm of enemies. It seem barely a move can be made without having to constantly switch between my fighting knife, awkwardly circling around the enemy, and then resuming exploration for 15 seconds until a new enemy arrive and the dance starts again. I find it really breaks the flow of the game. Is there something fundamental I'm missing, or is this just a question of enemy spawn that will be balanced before release (in case someone heard about devs' plans).

Avoid predators if you can and always be moving. One thing I do is swim above where I want to go, then dive down. It gives me a birds eye view and most of the predators you usually encounter outside of a vehicle stay somewhat low to the seabed. Do the opposite for reapers and hug the seafloor looking for nooks.

Also, most predators have a certain detection range which gets bigger at night. I think they are also quicker to attack you at night as well.

Predators are there to add some tension to the game, so they are going to bother you every so often regardless.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oasx posted:

I think that for a lot of people the appeal of this game was that it was different than most survival games. Instead of chopping down trees in order to build a cabin to keep you safe, you were free to swim around and just look at the scenery. There were still dangers but you were safe most places.
The game now seems to be heading in the direction of a generic survival game, it isn't bad by any means but it was definitely better a few patches ago.

You can still do that, but the horrifying depths are still there and they will still murder you if you poke your head down there.

There's plenty of safe spaces but the game has had a "gently caress gently caress no no no" threat since the reaper leviathan was added.

Enemies, and frankly, all the other things in subnautica are environmental hazards, they don't range everywhere and when you encounter them they are best avoided. Your tools help you to do this easier. You can sit on an island happily and eat fruit all day but to progress you have to go to more hazardous places and figure out how to survive there long enough to get what you need from there. The hazard can take the form of oxygen, pressure, darkness, food, heat, power, or enemies, but the consistent theme is that you are at greater risk the deeper and further out you go, and you need to overcome more things to go further. Most of those things can be eased by greater preparation in easier areas, but enemies are the hazard that requires you, by and large, to play well in the area.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 13, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Danaru posted:

Is the Aurora supposed to be full of so many invisible walls? I feel like every time I try to get anywhere inside, I bump into one, to the extent that I managed to get stuck in a small pocket of them and drowned. :(

I find the wreckage out front is really hit and miss. But I don't have trouble when inside.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Something that I read somewhere on the games main forum was that there was/is a bug with too many predators spawning when the game starts, which then tapers off as the game progresses.

Not mine, but an extreme version of the problem: http://imgur.com/a/HCIC6

Carcer fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 13, 2016

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Carcer posted:

Something that I read somewhere on the games main forum was that there was/is a bug with too many predators spawning when the game starts, which then tapers off as the game progresses.

Not mine, but an extreme version of the problem: http://imgur.com/a/HCIC6

Yup, that is what I see in every biomes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

StarMinstrel posted:

Yup, that is what I see in every biomes.

Yeah, predator numbers are absurd in the recent update, it's got to be a bug. I've never experienced anything like it before.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Danaru posted:

You may need to restart. I had to do that after the prawn update when they redesigned most of the Aurora interior. I could not really get in or out and was missing a load of stuff. The little entrance on the side that lead to the reactor room seems to be gone in the update and that's one of the main invisible walls I had in my obsolete save. Also, there is about 6 Reapers around the ship post-update.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 13, 2016

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
From what i can see you need a propulsion gun to get in and out of the Aurora. You can technically get in without it, but then you need to cheat to get out.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
You can go in through the upper entrance and completely clean out the ship without needing propulsion cannon ever.

There is a ramp down into the cargo bay and you can jump from the ramp to the top of the boxes. This gets you access to the engine room and some sea moth stuff. Coming back the other way there are smaller boxes you can use to climb over.

You use a laser cutter to get full access to the area with the PRAWN suit, which is what's behind the debris-blocked lower entrance that you would need the propulsion cannon for. And you would still need a laser cutter to get everything from that entrance anyways, so having the propulsion cannon is irrelevant beyond giving you a different route in and out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oasx posted:

From what i can see you need a propulsion gun to get in and out of the Aurora. You can technically get in without it, but then you need to cheat to get out.

You can climb back out over the debris, it forms a staircase from the back side.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Update time!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Cool, the Reefbacks actually have their reefs now. :unsmith:

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Have the pop-in issues been fixed yet, or at least improved a little bit?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Lager posted:

Have the pop-in issues been fixed yet, or at least improved a little bit?

This is what I am waiting on before playing again. Crossin' fingers.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Official update trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTrSOzTJ8hU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

This game looks incredible and has been sitting my in wishlist forever but my sea-related anxiety keeps me from jumping in.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

This game looks incredible and has been sitting my in wishlist forever but my sea-related anxiety keeps me from jumping in.

Get in the pool, nerd.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Magmarashi posted:

Stuff can be startling and surprise you, even scare you a bit, the first time you come across something. Seeing and probably dying to a Reaper for the first time might be a bit of a shock. But once you have dealt with things, you learn quickly how to handle them and things became more comfortable.

The game is not really meant to be suspenseful or scary. Stuff might startle you a little but unless you have deep seated fears and issues with being underwater I would consider giving it a go. I have personally gotten a lot of milleage just restarting most patches and relaxing by gathering materials and building underwater bases.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Magmarashi posted:

It's a really great game, and I owe it for getting my six-year-old daughter interested in video games. She tries to get me to play with her every day after school now, and even spent some of her allowance on a pillow with one of the alien's pictures that she sits with while we play the game. The game's not completely finished, but there's more than enough content to keep you busy and it's actually gotten me over some of my fear of the water just through exposure. Though I still feel like playing this game in VR would be complete nightmare fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Magmarashi posted:

I had the same reservations but forced myself to play it, and it's really not that bad. I still wouldn't go deep sea diving but the game does eventually give you the tools to make you master of the wildlife, or at the least completely safe from it.