Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

code:
 #import derail_from_another_thread.c

:eng101: wifi channels 1-6 exist in a part of the spectrum shared with the 13 centimeter amateur band. if you stick to "ham radio rules" (ID with your callsign, nothing offensive, no crypto and no for-profit traffic), you are allowed to use up to your license limit, which for all classes in the US is 1500 watts peak power and no limit on antenna gain, which is a bit more than the watt or two you get with 'regular wifi' :eng101:

the callsign thing is nicely dealt with by making your SSID your callsign, it goes out in the clear every packet

So, always use channel 13 for my home gear, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

shame about the encrypted traffic rule though, basically means you're stuck with websites that don't use https then?

And also an open network

Stuff could still be cryptographically signed though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yep. guys use ssh with no crypto all the time, just for session management and authentication. That's fine.

----

HAMFEST DAY

budget: $100

1 absolutely enormous EF Johnson variable cap in good shape. I've seen this exact one at the past 3 hamfests and the guy's dropped it from $30 to $10, and i bit. 40-400 picofarads, 3500 volts. Unf.

sig gen $20

2x fluke bench meters, basic but will be very useful $10/ea

Alinco EPS-120 power supply (it's bigger than this and has binding posts and such) - 20 amps of linear adjustable fan-cooled PSU for $20. Hard to say no to that.

and probably my favorite snag

DIP METER! In PERFECT shape. With a fresh 9 volt. And the entire coil set. And manual. I gladly gave the geezer $30 for this.

not bad for a benjamin. bench is filling out nicely

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

can I be the enormous Johnson

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Latest Tom Scott video has some cool radio stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQEGPATQe5s

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
from another thread:

Jabor posted:

The FCC publishes a bunch of its enforcement actions against people transmitting illegally. https://www.fcc.gov/general/amateur-radio-service-enforcement-actions

There's lots of fun sovcit stuff in there if you can be bothered digging.

found a good one already: https://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2015/DA-15-1438A1.html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the WARFA net is the ham radio equivalent of a Historically Black college and Crowell (W6WBJ) is a super piece of poo poo troll

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is it intentional that the w5yi header image looks like some white supremacist thing or is it just inadvertant:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

is it intentional that the w5yi header image looks like some white supremacist thing or is it just inadvertant:

what does ur heart tell u

(jesus is just to the right of the picture, and he's got a heathkit)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pham Nuwen posted:

what does ur heart tell u

(jesus is just to the right of the picture, and he's got a Collins)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
considering dropping $400 on a limesdr, already got a Zynq board that can be hacked to run up to 50Mhz radio but is better used as a lovely oscilloscope

also have a cheap-rear end 433.92MHz ASK transmitter that i got to gently caress with my lights and it can control the neighbors' if i tell it to

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

how hard is it to get an amateur license in Europe?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

how hard is it to get an amateur license in Europe?

highly dependent on country, there's no one european ham radio license

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

the WARFA net is the ham radio equivalent of a Historically Black college and Crowell (W6WBJ) is a super piece of poo poo troll

like, it's a mostly minority radio club?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

maniacdevnull posted:

like, it's a mostly minority radio club?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
pirate radio is good and should be encouraged.

play grime, gently caress the police.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

vodkat posted:

pirate radio is good and should be encouraged.

play grime, gently caress the police.

it wont be the police

it will be the feds, and they will take all of your radio and computer like things

and you will never get them back

and you will lose every license you hold on a federal level that pertains to radio whatsoever

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sniep posted:

it wont be the police

it will be the feds, and they will take all of your radio and computer like things

and you will lose every license you hold on a federal level that pertains to radio whatsoever

only a real dingus runs a pirate station out of their house. Or traceably at all

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hand etching boards out of common pcb material, maybe even using dead bug or point to point wiring on salvaged copper shingle

gloves left and right the full time
mask and hairnet too
mix of chinaboat standard parts and desoldered components from consumer gear

basically there's another hobby that has the cleanroom standards you need to pull it off rock solid, follow their ideas.

even then if you're using an internet or digital link there are a host of other concerns. probably consider something like a detuned FRS or even broadcast FM - the former better though b/c you can use high gain yagis pretty readily at least one end if not both, latter better if you want a good qual link

the more obscure and untraceable your remote link frequency is, the more traceable and unique the radio is.

one option is to have no remote link, you can cram a lot on a 2gb sd. again though, traceable serials

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

hand etching boards out of common pcb material, maybe even using dead bug or point to point wiring on salvaged copper shingle

gloves left and right the full time
mask and hairnet too
mix of chinaboat standard parts and desoldered components from consumer gear

basically there's another hobby that has the cleanroom standards you need to pull it off rock solid, follow their ideas.

even then if you're using an internet or digital link there are a host of other concerns. probably consider something like a detuned FRS or even broadcast FM - the former better though b/c you can use high gain yagis pretty readily at least one end if not both, latter better if you want a good qual link

the more obscure and untraceable your remote link frequency is, the more traceable and unique the radio is.

one option is to have no remote link, you can cram a lot on a 2gb sd. again though, traceable serials

used or discarded ipod shuffle and a solderless breadboard

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sniep posted:

it wont be the police

a lot of pirates still seem to broadcast, though, aren't there a few really well known/infamous ones

or do they only start to really give a poo poo when it's interfering with actual broadcasts instead of some normally silent part of the band

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

a lot of pirates still seem to broadcast, though, aren't there a few really well known/infamous ones

or do they only start to really give a poo poo when it's interfering with actual broadcasts instead of some normally silent part of the band

In parts of the US I know there are some very very lazy FCC officers and if you don't broadcast something they can hear from their hometown and if no one complains they will never actually check even if you are say running a pirate commercial fm station

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
great ebay snipe last night: some resistors

1000pcs smm0402 10k 0.1% 15ppm/delta K resistors!

checked the mouser cost and they cost about $1 piece if you order 1000 so i picked up around $1k in resistors for about $25

gonna build so many differential amplifiers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahaha, nice. I found some 0.01%'s at Electronics Goldmine or something other night, few bucks each. Thinking of picking up a couple for meter cal

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
The Ham radio thread in DIY seems to be dead so I thought I should crosspost this here.
So, I'm going for an upgrade to General soon.
I picked up a WRL Galaxy V transceiver on ebay for $40

And a Heathkit HP-23A power supply that I got locally for $20 to run it. The Galaxy still needs one more 12VDC rail at 1A to make it work. I can do that...
The PSU and Transceiver will need a full electronic restoration. I'll post my progress here.

***Three weeks later***

I made some progress on the Galaxy 5 Transceiver.
I found a seller on ebay that offered a kit to make a new 6ft interconnect cable for the Heathkit HP-23 Power Supply. I happened to have the correct female 12 pin cinch-jones plug to mate with the Galaxy, it was used as the AC power connector for an early 60's RCA tube CB transceiver i picked up for $2 at a yard sale years ago because it came with a great turner hand mic.
Soldered up the the cable and replaced one dried out electrolytic cap in the power supply and this is the result:
https://youtu.be/yrOkI1rcOmM

It's still going to need a lot of work. The 10 meter band is dead, from what I can tell it's looking like a dirty or corroded bandswitch. The S meter works during final tuneup but is non-responsive on receive. The radio has some paper caps in the RX and TX sections, and small electrolytic caps in the solid state audio output stage that definitely need to go before I can put it into everyday use. The tuning vernier is full of dried grease and stiffer than it should be, but all in all, I consider this to be pretty good progress for one evening.

Edit: I forgot one thing. The 12VDC rail needed to operate the RX/TX relay and transistor audio amplifier for the speaker is being fed by a wall wort from a long dead linksys router. The Heathkit doesn't have a 12vdc rail but there is an unused 6.3V 5A filament winding on the power transformer that I will eventually use to drive a rectifier and voltage doubler to get the 12V 1A I need rather than the janky Linksys hackjob.

Here's a couple shots of the vacuum bulbs. Its amazingly compact for a tube rig. These were very popular as HF mobile rigs in the mid to late 60s. This one came with a massive under dash mounting bracket that I will never ever use.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 11, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
welcome and thanks for joining us! Yeah that thread is sleepy, i try to poke it when i can.

That's a beautiful rig. I too suspect bandswitch on 10m, though watch out for weirdly positioned or too-long wires - can wreak havoc up here too.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Jonny 290 posted:

welcome and thanks for joining us! Yeah that thread is sleepy, i try to poke it when i can.

That's a beautiful rig. I too suspect bandswitch on 10m, though watch out for weirdly positioned or too-long wires - can wreak havoc up here too.
Hey Jonny! Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading through this thread for a couple of years and finally decided to post.
I have another potential suspect now. The Galaxy uses a couple of crystals that mix with the VFO frequency to derive 15m and 10M. I've had bad crystals in Cb radios and tube color TV sets of the same era.
Hmmm...

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 11, 2016

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

longview posted:

great ebay snipe last night: some resistors

1000pcs smm0402 10k 0.1% 15ppm/delta K resistors!

checked the mouser cost and they cost about $1 piece if you order 1000 so i picked up around $1k in resistors for about $25

gonna build so many differential amplifiers

reel is here, the two first clocked in at +0.01% and -0.06% using a 4-wire DC offset compenated 6.5 digit measurement

not too bad really, for truly critical applications it would still make sense to either match them or add a manual trim.

manual trim might make things worse since most trimpots have a lot more than 15ppm/delta K drift though. in that case it would probably be better to accept a pretty good but highly stable matching instead of something that's amazing at room temperature. the setup for trimming that matching would also have to be highly sensitive.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

knowing far less about radios than I should, I have a project that looks like it's targeting the 3cm band...

this should be interesting

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

knowing far less about radios than I should, I have a project that looks like it's targeting the 3cm band...

Is the project ur dilz?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

microwave poo poo is insane and cool, 10ghz and up 'ham radio' is basically 95% high precision metal shop work and 5% absolute black loving magic

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

microwave poo poo is insane and cool, 10ghz and up 'ham radio' is basically 95% high precision metal shop work and 5% absolute black loving magic
yeah I've got an experienced PhD helping me understand the basics, but god drat I feel like I'm way in over my head on this one

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

also watching youtube videos of dudes making their own microwave transceivers is neat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a lot of the techniques are very strange

generally, how to generate microwave RF:

generate a lower freq square wave, with a pissload of harmonics, filter out the ones you dont want

at microwave freqs you can do this with a pipe cap and a screw, tuned to the harmonic you want.

its super power inefficient. if you need 1 milliwatt of 3ghz RF and the third harmonic of your 1ghz generator is 20db down, you need to pump 100mW in. usually this is worth it though because its easier to make an amplifier for the lower freq and just burn off the rest

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

and then there's this guy who built a bunch of 60ghz radio experimentation equipment in india at the turn of the 20th century out of wood and other available materials

turns out a book makes a pretty good horizontal polarizer if you shoot beams at the edge of the pages

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

a lot of the techniques are very strange

generally, how to generate microwave RF:

generate a lower freq square wave, with a pissload of harmonics, filter out the ones you dont want

at microwave freqs you can do this with a pipe cap and a screw, tuned to the harmonic you want.

its super power inefficient. if you need 1 milliwatt of 3ghz RF and the third harmonic of your 1ghz generator is 20db down, you need to pump 100mW in. usually this is worth it though because its easier to make an amplifier for the lower freq and just burn off the rest

aren't microwave freq synths super cheap due to cell phones

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Malcolm XML posted:

aren't microwave freq synths super cheap due to cell phones

1-3 GHz is fairly afforable i guess, but cell phone gear doesn't really go higher than that except for 5 GHz wi-fi. 10 GHz is serious business and unless you can use satellite TV LNBs you're looking at fairly weird stuff like yig oscillators, gunn diodes and strange tubes

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

longview posted:

1-3 GHz is fairly afforable i guess, but cell phone gear doesn't really go higher than that except for 5 GHz wi-fi. 10 GHz is serious business and unless you can use satellite TV LNBs you're looking at fairly weird stuff like yig oscillators, gunn diodes and strange tubes

fairly bitchin' stuff

yigs:

couple a yig sphere to a pair of coils and put it in a magnetic field to turn it into a tunable filter from 3-50 ghz

gunns:

diode has negative differential resistance, circuit has positive differential resistance, they cancel out to produce a circuit with zero differential resistance that randomly starts oscillating. give it DC bias and a yig filter and you've got a microwave source

weird tubes:

:catdrugs:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes please let me fire up the ole o-carcinotron. please stand back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

multistage depressed collector :smith: