Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I like how visceral this movie is. When Godzilla first shows up as a weird hosed up lesser-evolved Godzilla it elicited a response of "what the gently caress?" from the audience. Later on when it started barfing fire, the reaction was as you'd expect, but when it focuses into a loving laser beam the reaction went from "yeah!" to "holy poo poo..." and everyone in the theater got really silent. You expect Godzilla to be powerful, but that was when Godzilla became more than just a fire-breathing monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Verisimilidude posted:

I like how visceral this movie is. When Godzilla first shows up as a weird hosed up lesser-evolved Godzilla it elicited a response of "what the gently caress?" from the audience. Later on when it started barfing fire, the reaction was as you'd expect, but when it focuses into a loving laser beam the reaction went from "yeah!" to "holy poo poo..." and everyone in the theater got really silent. You expect Godzilla to be powerful, but that was when Godzilla became more than just a fire-breathing monster.

Godzilla slug-wiggling his way through the streets is weird, uncomfortable and terrifying. I loved the evolution aspect of the character and the second attack is absolutely fantastic. The devastation is a weird mix of "gently caress yeah" and "oh god no".

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

HorribleAvatar posted:

poo poo I wish I hadn't read because I haven't seen the film yet.

If you've been lurking so long, you should probably know about spoiler tags.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The Alamo Drafthouse a block my place is showing this on Saturday and I literally snagged the last seat, right in the front row of course. This will be the first time I've actually seen a Godzilla movie in a theater, so I'm pretty excited.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I just watched Godzilla '14 and it was pretty good but I really hope Shin Godzilla makes better use of Bryan Cranston.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

I just watched Godzilla '14 and it was pretty good but I really hope Shin Godzilla makes better use of Bryan Cranston.

I've got some bad news...

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

When that happened, my six year old didn't think it was Godzilla. "What is that?!" He wondered if Godzilla was going to fight that weird thing. But then he noticed the spikes.... :) .

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Just got out of seeing the 7PM (local time) screening at the Eau Claire Market Cinemax. I overall really enjoyed it. I went from hating the human cast (like in '14) to wanting to know more about them. Like that weird girl on the research team,she didn't get fleshed out at all.

As for Godzilla himself,I thought it was really well executed. Of course,there were a couple of parts I found kinda goofy:The part where they're like " Godzilla has reached his fourth form." totally almost made me expect Goku to show up or something. I also noticed that most of the soundtrack is recycled from either other Godzilla movies,or Evangelion. How many times did they play "Decisive Battle'? It seemed like they played it a whole buncha times. I think I'll be able to provide some more detailed thoughts after I get some sleep.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so like, does it literally play evangelion music are are y'all being hyberbolic, watching godzilla burn people to the tune of Cruel Angel's Thesis is totes something i want

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mandatory lesbian posted:

so like, does it literally play evangelion music are are y'all being hyberbolic, watching godzilla burn people to the tune of Cruel Angel's Thesis is totes something i want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0DayCP5Q60

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lol, did Anno use the same music guy at least or did he ask some poor guy to remix the song

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

lol, did Anno use the same music guy at least or did he ask some poor guy to remix the song
Yeah he brought Shiro Sagisu back from Eva to work on the OST for this film.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Sagisu at least throws a couple of twists on Decisive Battle compared to its Eva versions rather than directly quoting himself

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

He also apparently lifted some music from Bleach wholesale or something? I dunno, never watched it, but even the original pieces of the film's score are really reminiscent of the work he did on the Eva rebuilds. They clash wonderfully with the barely touched showa era music :allears:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This was a loving awesome movie. Really good Godzilla film and very very very japanese in its tone and design. I could see the cinematography not being your thing, but Anno directs all his anime with the same basic framing. I think it provides a lot of claustrophobia to the feel of the film. I really enjoyed it. All of the Godzilla sequences were really superb. The film I think achieves what many have not since the original which was the sort of helpless fear that comes from being powerless in the face of the unknown, but through human ingenuity overcoming it for a semi best possible outcome. Also the soundtrack was great.

The visuals for Godzilla were great, the trailers and stills don't do justice to the design. It's a really scary Godzilla. All of his destruction sequences were impressive the final one being the most inventive using the city against him for once in the series. I really liked all of the procedural insight as it felt like a succinct referendum on the high and low lights of japanese culture. The pacing was only a little slow during the break between his departure back to the sea and his return as the full upright Godzilla we sort of expect. I also liked the alteration of the origin story to account for much of what makes this version as scary as he is. The last shot of the film with the spawning somethings on his tail knowing they had found other chunks of him laying around leaves open an interesting door if they choose to pursue it that way. They could just as easily make a traditional sequel where they will unfreeze him to fight some other crazy monster perhaps.

I have an original 1954 movie poster, and I kind of really want the red silhouette movie poster for this film after leaving it.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 13, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Psycho Landlord posted:

He also apparently lifted some music from Bleach wholesale or something? I dunno, never watched it, but even the original pieces of the film's score are really reminiscent of the work he did on the Eva rebuilds. They clash wonderfully with the barely touched showa era music :allears:

I'm down with this, the score was the best thing Bleach had going for it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This movie was extremely, extremely good. Anno's directing was brilliant. I might even see it again over the weekend if I can.

Main issues I had were some terrible English from the characters that were supposed to be Japanese-American, a couple cases of dopey CG (not nearly as many as I thought there'd be though) and just that subtitles are kinda rough on the eyes on the big screen, especially when there's a lot of them on the top and bottom of the screen going by quickly. That last one isn't really an issue with the movie itself though. Otherwise it was excellent.

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 13, 2016

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I really dug the whole movie but I was totally blindsided by the freaky googly eyed proto form. Legitimately unsettling both in movement and appearance. Loved it.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

robot roll call posted:

I really dug the whole movie but I was totally blindsided by the freaky googly eyed proto form. Legitimately unsettling both in movement and appearance. Loved it.

Yeah! Plus seeing a new Godzilla movie with my *kinda grown* kids was awesome! The theatre was packed!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Augus posted:

This movie was extremely, extremely good. Anno's directing was brilliant. I might even see it again over the weekend if I can.

Main issues I had were some terrible English from the characters that were supposed to be Japanese-American, a couple cases of dopey CG (not nearly as many as I thought there'd be though) and just that subtitles are kinda rough on the eyes on the big screen, especially when there's a lot of them on the top and bottom of the screen going by quickly. That last one isn't really an issue with the movie itself though. Otherwise it was excellent.

Yeah, I pretty quickly just started ignoring the top subtitles. They were all just place or people labels anyways, and I could follow the film without knowing precisely who everyone was. It's not like I can't tell faces apart.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I went into this movie with high expectations and it still blew me away. I'd say my one and only complaint - and it's a tiny one - is the pacing during the last half. The space between the atomic breath attack and the final attack dragged ever so slightly. Other than that, I loved everything about this.

It's almost an anti-Godzilla movie in the way the reality of a giant destructive monster is handled so realistically. In every other Godzilla film I've seen, there's very little focus on shock, disbelief, and the minutia of how to handle the situation. "Oh a giant monster? Sigh. I guess we better shoot at it." But here this stuff is the bulk of the movie, and I loved it.

Godzilla's design is wonderful. He looks more terrifying than he's ever been. I wasn't expecting his metamorphosis, but it was a great addition. The first shot of his larva-like stage where he was barreling through the streets was stunning. It was a strange combination of unsettling and goofy, with the combined feeling being the quintessential Godzilla-ness that I love about these movies.

I was enjoying the movie a ton, and then the atomic breath scene happened and I instantly started loving the movie. That scene was, hands down, the best moment I've seen in a Godzilla movie. I had chills. Absolutely phenomenal.

They've totally nailed how to make a Godzilla movie that's pretty terrifying while still retaining the charm of the goofier films. This was pretty much a perfect Godzilla movie. I hope this is the start of a new Toho series that follows in this style.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
godzilla: it just walks

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm going to see this in about an hour but it's interesting watching review on YouTube and hearing everyone complain about how there is so much sitting and talking. Have they never seen a Godzilla movie before? That's literally every single Godzilla movie. I'm also a big Eva fan so it's cool to see a Godzilla movie directed by a guy who has wanted to direct this movie since he was a child.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I'm going to see this in about an hour but it's interesting watching review on YouTube and hearing everyone complain about how there is so much sitting and talking. Have they never seen a Godzilla movie before? That's literally every single Godzilla movie. I'm also a big Eva fan so it's cool to see a Godzilla movie directed by a guy who has wanted to direct this movie since he was a child.

You're gonna like what you get.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The first 45 minutes of this movie was absolutely hilarious. Got the chills when the bass Godzilla theme started up and the baby was adorable.

e: i'm a dumbass and didn't realize that it was eva music ahahahahaha so good

Phone fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 14, 2016

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

You're gonna like what you get.

You were absolutely correct. I loved this movie. It was funny, it was smart, the cinematography was great. It's one of the few Godzilla movies that made the humans interesting. The whole beginning with them constantly changing board rooms to say the same things they were already saying killed me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just got back from watching it and I absolutely loved it. Such a great homage to the '54 film and probably the closest possible cinematic experience to how audiences must have felt watching the original way back then.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Phone posted:

e: i'm a dumbass and didn't realize that it was eva music ahahahahaha so good

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Saw it last night and loved it, just wish that there was a more wide release or it was on IMAX :smithcloud:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Out of curiosity, has anyone been to a US showing of this that wasn't sold out?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There were probably about 20 seats left in the theater where I saw it. It was reasonably packed and the audience wasn't too terrible (only a handful of dumb comments throughout the film).

That said, I don't regret buying my tickets in advance.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Spatulater bro! posted:

My showing last night was about a third full which is honestly more people than I was expecting.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Spatulater bro! posted:

My showing had a couple of empty seats, but it was easily at least 90% full.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

My showing last night was about a third full which is honestly more people than I was expecting.
I saw it on Wednesday but this was basically how my screening went.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Spatulater bro! posted:

Mine was slightly over half full, but all the weekend showings are sold out in my city.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Saw this last night and I loving loved it. This was way better than Godzilla 2014, all the actor performances were great and much better compared to the 2014 one (minus Bryan Cranston obviously). I loved the themes and the message this movie had, as well as the heavy political satire. Its gonna be very difficult for Western audiences to relate since it focuses so much on the Japanese government and how they slowly respond to everything. All of the early reviews I feel like missed the entire point of this movie, but I've been seeing a lot more positive reviews now that it is out here. Want to try to watch it again sometime this weekend if I have a chance.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Saw this last night and I loving loved it. This was way better than Godzilla 2014, all the actor performances were great and much better compared to the 2014 one (minus Bryan Cranston obviously). I loved the themes and the message this movie had, as well as the heavy political satire. Its gonna be very difficult for Western audiences to relate since it focuses so much on the Japanese government and how they slowly respond to everything. All of the early reviews I feel like missed the entire point of this movie, but I've been seeing a lot more positive reviews now that it is out here. Want to try to watch it again sometime this weekend if I have a chance.

Given the run I won't have time to catch it again, but it's a Blu Ray I'll actually buy.

I don't buy physical media if I can avoid it, but this was drat good enough to warrant it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I loved the hell out of the movie but every line spoken in English was merely passable at best, and many of them were outright bad.

It doesn't make me hate the movie or anything but it was noticeable. Kind of what I expect from a Japanese film made for a Japanese audience though. Same problem came up with Rebuild 2.22, come to think of it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I loved the hell out of the movie but every line spoken in English was merely passable at best, and many of them were outright bad.

It doesn't make me hate the movie or anything but it was noticeable. Kind of what I expect from a Japanese film made for a Japanese audience though. Same problem came up with Rebuild 2.22, come to think of it.

Eh I thought it was alright. I mean maybe it was bad when actual Americans talked, but I thought it was endearing for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It wasn't any worse than some of the Godzilla dubs we received here. Since you're fluent, you can easily pick out the awful 3rd rate crime procedural acting from the English speaking actors.