Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Upon looking up development details about the Link to the Past, I came across an Kotaku article that mentions setting grass on fire in that game as a feature they didn't have time to complete. Interesting to see where that probably came from, finally happening in Breath of the Wild!

quote:

"There were a variety of ideas that didn't make it into the game. Using the lantern on a grassy area to cause an endlessly expanding fire, for example". That feature wasn't cut for lack of ambition, either: Miyamoto reckons that with another six months development time they could have got it working in the game.

http://kotaku.com/5904884/the-making-of-the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Upon looking up development details about the Link to the Past, I came across an Kotaku article that mentions setting grass on fire in that game as a feature they didn't have time to complete. Interesting to see where that probably came from, finally happening in Breath of the Wild!

http://kotaku.com/5904884/the-making-of-the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past

Actually they did end up implementing it already - in Four Swords Adventures

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Regy Rusty posted:

Actually they did end up implementing it already - in Four Swords Adventures

Ah, interesting. Good to know.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
canoshiz is correct. On balance you can probably run in there and do the required spin attacks faster than filling a bottle cutscene + text, putting it into your equipped inventory(though on HD you can do this while moving without pausing), and the pouring out cutscene. The spin attacks are probably almost as fast as the pouring out cutscene alone.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
All these questions about quickness of execution and such are all well and good, but I think even if it loses out to all these things in practicality (it's still probably a safer strategy for some than trying to one-cycle it, at least) it's still going to be a great tool for speedrunners to know about. If for no other reason than to whip it out to a round of applause whenever it's next run at a GDQ.

In unrelated news, my Wii U and Hyrule Warriors has arrived, and I bought some of the DLCs as well. This was totally worth it, if only because of Skull Kid, who literally dunks on his opponents.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 7, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Most people don't that kind of speedrun are going to get a one cycle > 95% of the time. Using the water is more fun though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
is barrier skip RTA practical yet

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Suspicious Dish posted:

is barrier skip RTA practical yet

I don't think anyone's found a reliable way of doing it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I've never played any of the portable Zeldas before, or even known much about them, so imagine my surprise and pleasure after I think about Oracle of Seasons with a few hours into it, and realize it's set in the Hyrule of Zelda 1.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You are mistaken, it is set in Holodrum.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Oracle of Seasons was originally a remake of the first game, hence the similarities.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

greatn posted:

You are mistaken, it is set in Holodrum.

Ok, ignoring the words though it's set in Hyrule of Z1. It's not as direct as Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds, but it's definitely there.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Cleretic posted:

All these questions about quickness of execution and such are all well and good, but I think even if it loses out to all these things in practicality (it's still probably a safer strategy for some than trying to one-cycle it, at least) it's still going to be a great tool for speedrunners to know about. If for no other reason than to whip it out to a round of applause whenever it's next run at a GDQ.

Yeah, no doubt it'll show up in the next speed run marathon since those obviously aren't meant to get PRs. It definitely is really cool and reminds me of a time before the Internet when I found out you could quick kill the piranha plant boss in Yoshi's Island by throwing an egg at the baby piranha plant before triggering the battle, haha.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I've never played any of the portable Zeldas before, or even known much about them, so imagine my surprise and pleasure after I think about Oracle of Seasons with a few hours into it, and realize it's set in the Hyrule of Zelda 1.

Holy loving poo poo. :psyduck:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

What? I haven't played it in years so I don't recall anything about it but what makes it set in Zelda 1s world?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

It started out as a remake of Zelda 1 with the LA engine, the first dungeon is especially noticeable with this, but also the Overworld enemies also help relay this.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The overworld, at least up through Level 1, is very similar. I mean you go left across a bridge to a "gnarled root" on a little island, and it's in the same general location. Also the overall map of the first dungeon (though not the rooms themselves, it's all new aside from the overall shape), the dragon boss, are all very much like the original. Level 2 is pretty much straight east in the forest and has Dodongo as a boss. It's not totally obvious and there are a ton of minor differences, but it all seemed vaguely familiar until it clicked.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't remember that at all, but it's been at least 10 years. Time to replay them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't remember that at all, but it's been at least 10 years. Time to replay them.

I still have my save on Seasons from back in the later 90s or so, but I've never played Ages though I did pick up a copy of that a few years ago. I need to play both of those through and do a completionist run, assuming that I have the patience to do the password input.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Man Nintendo would have hacking in an automatic password sharing between the two VC releases have been that hard? I mean, you managed to make Pokémon work over wifi, and that thing was held together almost entirely by luck.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Keiya posted:

Man Nintendo would have hacking in an automatic password sharing between the two VC releases have been that hard? I mean, you managed to make Pokémon work over wifi, and that thing was held together almost entirely by luck.

It probably would have been, yes. From what I know they're working with the base ROM, which limits what they can add in pretty hard. Making the original Pokemon use wifi as a link cable is something for the emulator, which is far easier to rewrite.

It's the same reason Capcom couldn't backport stuff like swapping weapons ith shoulder buttons into the Megaman Legacy Collection.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oracle of Seasons is starting to diverge more now from the original Hyrule - I just got to Level 3 and it's closer to where Level 6 was in Zelda 1. So I don't know where everything is after all! In a way that's a little disappointing, but it was fun while it lasted, and this way I get some more surprises, so it's good.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
So I just started playing the WWHD after finishing TPHD. How the gently caress does this game look so much better? I loved the environmental style in TP, and liked the slightly strange character design, but the colors were just a washed-out blur. All this color has gotten me real excited.

Also, forgot you could just crawl around on your belly all the time. 5/5

Actually what's blowing my mind in the first thirty minutes of playing is how much more forgiving running and jumping is. Feels much more fluid. That's great cause I was personally irked at most of my dumb deaths coming from missing a jump.:argh:

Rama of Ra fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 11, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Art direction of Twilight Princess was to be noisy and brown, with crazy multiply blending for the lights to make everything bloom. Even the places that aren't brown, like the fishing pond, tend to use streaky shading giving everything shimmering highlights.

It was the style at the time. It hasn't aged well.

Wind Waker used pastel, muted colors and flat, detailless textures to give a clean look. It ages really well.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Some ideas like allowing me to keep moving while aiming things like the boomerang or grappling hook are huge QOL improvements. I haven't played WW since it came out and it's really surprising me how much more refined movements feel compared to TP.

It was so bad I stopped using Epona.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Rama of Ra posted:

Some ideas like allowing me to keep moving while aiming things like the boomerang or grappling hook are huge QOL improvements. I haven't played WW since it came out and it's really surprising me how much more refined movements feel compared to TP.

It was so bad I stopped using Epona.

The way they spoke about Epona in a BOTW demo a couple years ago, it seems like they've been thinking hard how to make her controls better.

e:
Guys I am starving for info. Super excited to Climb Everything in the new game. I wonder if there will be some sort of battle that makes use of it, like with the machine man on the volcano or something.

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 12, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just played Ocarina of Time for the first time, and the ending confused me. Why did Zelda send Link back to the past? Was Ganondorf still in the past? I guess getting sealed in an alternate dimension by 7 sages, at least two of whom have time powers, are we to assume that erased Ganondorf entirely? But you see everybody celebrating, so are there now two timelines, the post Ganandorf timeline without Link and the no Ganondorf timeline that's 7 years behind and has a Link?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's correct! There are two timelines.

Well, actually, that's incorrect. There are three timelines. In the third, you never beat the game. That is the explanation for the NES and SNES games.

Zelda sent Link back because she thought it was sad he didn't have a childhood.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just played Ocarina of Time for the first time, and the ending confused me. Why did Zelda send Link back to the past? Was Ganondorf still in the past? I guess getting sealed in an alternate dimension by 7 sages, at least two of whom have time powers, are we to assume that erased Ganondorf entirely? But you see everybody celebrating, so are there now two timelines, the post Ganandorf timeline without Link and the no Ganondorf timeline that's 7 years behind and has a Link?

Yes, basically. Think Dragon Ball Z, remember how Trunks went to the past to stop the Androids even though it wouldn't fix his future? Now Zelda sends Link to the past so Ganondorf never gets to take over Hyrule, it doesn't change that he already did and ruined everything for several years in this timeline, but now the past Link went to will never suffer the same fate.

Now add a timeline where Link just failed entirely and that's the timeline of the series.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

greatn posted:

Which backfires horribly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

Well, actually, that's incorrect. There are three timelines. In the third, you never beat the game. That is the explanation for the NES and SNES games.

Zelda, Motherfucker, ask about that poo poo before you do it!

In the non-Ganondorf timeline, does Link still get engaged to the fish woman? It annoyed me that that story didn't get resolved.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yes, basically. Think Dragon Ball Z, remember how Trunks went to the past to stop the Androids even though it wouldn't fix his future? Now Zelda sends Link to the past so Ganondorf never gets to take over Hyrule, it doesn't change that he already did and ruined everything for several years in this timeline, but now the past Link went to will never suffer the same fate.

Now add a timeline where Link just failed entirely and that's the timeline of the series.

Do the games that came after OoT all fit onto those timelines? Do the timelines splinter further as the series goes on?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well who's to say but that fish woman's descendant ghost happens to lead Links descendant to a hero's suit specifically for living in the water which was made for some reason. The reason was he met a giant fish, hosed it's brains out, flew into the sun, now he's dead, like a boss.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

greatn posted:

It'll all get sorted out when the timelines converge in Breath of the Wild.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And to the guy asking all the questions, that thing about the timelines converging is just a theory since that game isn't out yet of course.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What timeline is Hyrule Warriors on?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

What timeline is Hyrule Warriors on?

If the timelines are three adjacent subway tunnels, Hyrule Warriors takes place inside the maintenance rooms that connect them.

greatn posted:

And to the guy asking all the questions, that thing about the timelines converging is just a theory since that game isn't out yet of course.

Yup, I'm just being dumb and theory smug.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If the timelines are three adjacent subway tunnels, Hyrule Warriors takes place inside the maintenance rooms that connect them.

Like Warriors Orochi, something gathered them all together from across timelines?

Ocarina of Time is the first Zelda I've played, I was genuinely not expecting multiple timelines from this game series

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do the games that came after OoT all fit onto those timelines? Do the timelines splinter further as the series goes on?

Yes, but this was decided like four years ago. For all intents and purposes there aren't any real timelines, but fans kept thinking there were and making a ton of arguments about it and making things more complicated than they should be, so Nintendo figured that for Skyward Sword they'd make extra bank if they billed it as The Start of the Timeline (even though a GBA game kinda already did that) and sell a $35 artbook that included a timeline they got an intern to think up for an afternoon. Still neat, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yes and probably not but who knows. The games probably weren't even meant to be connected in the first place and I kind of feel the three split timelines was just a way for Nintendo to shut the fans up who constantly asked about the timeline. It isn't hugely important either way.