Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

s.i.r.e. posted:

What's the expected release date for it? I don't see one on the page.

You can now pre-order the entire line of 960s: http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/all-memory-storage/s/solid_state_drives/_/n-10+11+hv22y+zq29m/

EVOs:
250GB - $129.99
500GB - $249.99
1TB - $479.99

Pros:
512GB - $329.99
1TB - $629.99
2TB - $1299.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Those are actually very reasonable prices. Perhaps the best thing they'll do, though, is push down the prices of existing 850 and 950 inventory.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Those are actually very reasonable prices. Perhaps the best thing they'll do, though, is push down the prices of existing 850 and 950 inventory.

950s, maybe. I wouldn't hold my breath on the 850s unless they ~shock~ everyone and put out an 860 or 930/940 SATA drive.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 13, 2016

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Just for fun I looked up the speed of my current Windows drive that I purchased 5 years ago. 830 EVO, 128GB. Random Read Speed: 75K IOPS; Random Write Speed: 30K IOPS; Sequential Read Speed: 520 MB/s; Sequential Write Speed: 320 MB/s

Seems like upgrading to a 950 or 960 will be quite the difference :hehe:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Concurred posted:

Just for fun I looked up the speed of my current Windows drive that I purchased 5 years ago. 830 EVO, 128GB. Random Read Speed: 75K IOPS; Random Write Speed: 30K IOPS; Sequential Read Speed: 520 MB/s; Sequential Write Speed: 320 MB/s

Seems like upgrading to a 950 or 960 will be quite the difference :hehe:

Stats-wise, yes - but I really doubt you'll notice a difference in 'user experience' like going from an HDD to SSD for the first time. Still, for $130 for a 250GB boot, it's not a horrible thing to buy in early to the ~NVMe Revolution~.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Stats-wise, yes - but I really doubt you'll notice a difference in 'user experience' like going from an HDD to SSD for the first time. Still, for $130 for a 250GB boot, it's not a horrible thing to buy in early to the ~NVMe Revolution~.

I just don't see the point in a 250 boot drive for $130 when you can pick up 500/512 drives for about the same price. Sure, you're paying for Samsung's reliability at that price, but what's wrong with a Sandisk x400 512 for $135?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SlayVus posted:

I just don't see the point in a 250 boot drive for $130 when you can pick up 500/512 drives for about the same price. Sure, you're paying for Samsung's reliability at that price, but what's wrong with a Sandisk x400 512 for $135?

Well, M.2 has a clear edge in form factor, given the rise in popularity for PCs the size of PS4s. Having 1-2TB+ in something the size of a stick of gum versus a 2.5" form factor that's 2-5x faster checks two boxes.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Looks like Plextor is trying to join the game with their new NVME offerings.

Performance looks comparable with the heatsink's, and there is a 5 year warranty which is good, but the price appears to be a step higher than the 960's. (About $20 or so) but there is additional savings with the Newegg promo code that brings it down on par. (-$60 promo code for the 1TB that brings it to $591 which is $20 below retail after tax even. Still $100 more than the EVO's however.

The 1TB without the heatsink was a -$40 promo code that brings it down to $580 after tax, but still, not sure what they are shooting for being $100 more than Samsungs NEW EVO's. :/

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 13, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"Performance looks, comparable with the heatsink's, and..." Did you leave something out?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wilford Cutlery posted:

"Performance looks, comparable with the heatsink's, and..." Did you leave something out?

I think he just added extra punctuation by accident.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's early...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You can now pre-order the entire line of 960s: http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/all-memory-storage/s/solid_state_drives/_/n-10+11+hv22y+zq29m/

EVOs:
250GB - $129.99
500GB - $249.99
1TB - $479.99

Pros:
512GB - $329.99
1TB - $629.99
2TB - $1299.99

Man a 2TB would be nice but jesus. I'm glad we're at the point though, prices are only gonna fall from here... right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Man a 2TB would be nice but jesus. I'm glad we're at the point though, prices are only gonna fall from here... right?

These are msrp, id expect amazon/newegg to be a good bit cheaper.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Evidently there are enough NVMe products in the pipe from other manufacturers that anyone who's paying MSRP now is doing so so they're the first new kid on the block with the fastest boot drive.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I just want to get off my 120gb OCZ ride.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Evidently there are enough NVMe products in the pipe from other manufacturers
I expect we'll see a lot of products announced at CES.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

EVOs:
250GB - $129.99
500GB - $249.99
1TB - $479.99

Pros:
512GB - $329.99
1TB - $629.99
2TB - $1299.99

Intel 80GB - $220
Intel 160GB - $440

(back in 2009) :eek:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Don Lapre posted:

These are msrp, id expect amazon/newegg to be a good bit cheaper.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Evidently there are enough NVMe products in the pipe from other manufacturers that anyone who's paying MSRP now is doing so so they're the first new kid on the block with the fastest boot drive.

I'll deal with my 256GB until then, I can hold out.

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?
Looking to replace a dying laptop hard disk with a basic SSD. Laptop sees only occasional use and the most intensive thing I anticipate doing on it is playing World of Warcraft occasionally. Need enough room for that and the OS, won't be storing a significant amount of other media on it. Don't care too much about performance provided it's better than a mechanical HDD. I'm in Australia. What would be the cheapest suggested model (preferably that I can pick up from MSY: http://cdn.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf) for me to get that's not complete garbage? Prefer 240G over 120G (anything over that is overkill), but that will depend on cost.

I was looking at the BX200. Any issues with this?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bent Wookiee posted:

Looking to replace a dying laptop hard disk with a basic SSD. Laptop sees only occasional use and the most intensive thing I anticipate doing on it is playing World of Warcraft occasionally. Need enough room for that and the OS, won't be storing a significant amount of other media on it. Don't care too much about performance provided it's better than a mechanical HDD. I'm in Australia. What would be the cheapest suggested model (preferably that I can pick up from MSY: http://cdn.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf) for me to get that's not complete garbage? Prefer 240G over 120G (anything over that is overkill), but that will depend on cost.

I was looking at the BX200. Any issues with this?

Literally everything in the SSD world is better than the BX200. It's pretty much the only SSD out there that's functionally worse in a lot of ways than an HDD or SSHD.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/41ao8y/stop_recommending_the_crucial_bx200/

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Literally everything in the SSD world is better than the BX200. It's pretty much the only SSD out there that's functionally worse in a lot of ways than an HDD or SSHD.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/41ao8y/stop_recommending_the_crucial_bx200/

Thanks. After seeing some less-than-stellar reviews for the BX200, I ended up going with the Sandisk Plus instead.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
How big is too big? My use case is I have a 2TB HDD as my primary drive and some extras of various sizes for media and backup. Currently of the 2TB I'm using ~570GB, but that's completely inclusive of all the games I have installed along with all the files for my DAWs. I want to keep my DAW files on the SSD as I do use them a lot. However my games come to ~200GB, and I would move them from the SSD to the 2TB drive. Which means I'll be using roughly ~370GB. I expect this to get larger as I work on more projects.

In this use case, would a 1TB SSD be too much? I feel like a 500GB drive would be erring slightly too small if I start doing larger or more projects (WAVs take a lot of space yo). I'm probably waiting for the 960 EVOs to come out in bulk and grabbing one of those. Additionally my computer is chugging along fine so I have no intention to upgrade barre an SSD and some extra RAM, but my motherboard has no M.2 or anything like that. It appears to be SATAIII all the way. I'm okay with this as even a SATA SSD is leagues faster than my HDD.

I hope that covers everything. Cheers.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So this is sort of a SSD thread question and sort of a Haus question:

I am going to be getting a much bigger SSD soon, my main drive is on a relatively small SSD. However I was wondering if there were a way to just make a complete copy of my old drive so I can just replace my old drive with my new one, making the new one the boot drive to replace the old without having to do a complete reformat?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Knifegrab posted:

So this is sort of a SSD thread question and sort of a Haus question:

I am going to be getting a much bigger SSD soon, my main drive is on a relatively small SSD. However I was wondering if there were a way to just make a complete copy of my old drive so I can just replace my old drive with my new one, making the new one the boot drive to replace the old without having to do a complete reformat?

Sure. Lots of programs. Let's go with Macrium Reflect.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hell even Windows Backup can image the OS install and you can restore it to a same or bigger drive, then just expand the drive. Worked for my move from 2 Plextor M3P 128G drives to 2 500G Evos.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
How much faster is the 960 Evo compared to the 850/840? Is the 960 that much faster, even on paper, that it's as big of a deal as its being made out to be? I looked at some reviews but I wasn't 100% on which metrics were comparable.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ItBurns posted:

How much faster is the 960 Evo compared to the 850/840? Is the 960 that much faster, even on paper, that it's as big of a deal as its being made out to be? I looked at some reviews but I wasn't 100% on which metrics were comparable.

Yes

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ItBurns posted:

At Queue Depth 1, you get about a 40% improvement to 4k read speeds and roughly 25% improvement in 4k write speeds in IOPs. What you really want to look at in SSDs are 4k random read/write and endurance of the flash. Anything more than QD1 is going to be heavy multitasking or server based work loads.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Are the 850 EVO M.2's worth it? They seem like they're in a really great place right now price wise.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Knifegrab posted:

Are the 850 EVO M.2's worth it? They seem like they're in a really great place right now price wise.
They're still tied to the SATA spec and won't work on an NVMe-only slot.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

How big is too big?
When you won't expect to fill that space to about 80% (mostly for filesystem performance reasons rather than SSD related issues) before prices come down enough that you'll be upgrading and the decline in pricing won't make up the difference in sunk cost. In your position I'd get the smallest SATA SSD as necessary for day-to-day stuff and go up one size from there (eg. if you can fit Windows and web browsing and whatnot into 100 GB, go with a 256 GB), map larger bulk data onto the hard disk (Windows has junction points) and expect to upgrade everything completely in another two years tops and at that point a 2 TB M.2 NVMe SSD could totally be less than $250 by then.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

metallicaeg posted:

They're still tied to the SATA spec and won't work on an NVMe-only slot.

Oh dear, looks like I have some reading to do because I have no idea what any of these mean. I have a z97-a asus mobo if that helps.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

Unless you need the physical chassis space I would just get the regular version. They will perform the same.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Oh dear, looks like I have some reading to do because I have no idea what any of these mean. I have a z97-a asus mobo if that helps.

ASUS very likely still has your board SKUed up on their website, and it'll likely tell you if you M.2 slot is NVMe or SATA-linked.

EDIT: I looked up the Z97A and your M.2 slot is PCIe linked. You can boot from the 960.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 14, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

ASUS very likely still has your board SKUed up on their website, and it'll likely tell you if you M.2 slot is NVMe or SATA-linked.

EDIT: I looked up the Z97A and your M.2 slot is PCIe linked. You can boot from the 960.

OK so after doing some reading it would seem that I can boot from a 950 as well (as I would probably go for that over the 960), but apparently because my m.2 slot only has two lanes it will be a bit slower in terms of perforamcne. That's fine really, I am limited in chassis space currently.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

OK so after doing some reading it would seem that I can boot from a 950 as well (as I would probably go for that over the 960), but apparently because my m.2 slot only has two lanes it will be a bit slower in terms of perforamcne. That's fine really, I am limited in chassis space currently.

You will also be limited by the m.2 slot being PCIex 2.0.. If it's only 2 lanes, that limits you to around 750-800MB/sec. Also as with other Z97 mobos, some of your PCIex 1x slots will be disabled if you use the m.2 slot due to the limited amount of pciex lanes the Z97 platform has.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a z97-a as well, if I'm limited to 700-800 mb/s will I still get full 4k performance or will it be halved?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Speaking of fast storage, Optane v1.0 seems kind of underwhelming: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-optane-products-to-be-offered-in-16gb-and-32-gb-3d-xpoint-storage.html

As for Z97s and NVMe - I'd almost say it'd be better to use an Intel 600p in those if they're limited to two lanes.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 14, 2016

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Because you're not bottlenecked on issuing commands faster with random IOPS it's not a proportional drop in performance there. I've got a Z97 board as well and it'd be silly to say that I wouldn't get a substantial improvement going from, say, an 850 Evo SATA to most of the newer NVMe SSDs despite that 2 lane bottleneck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Looking at a ASUS X99 Deluxe II board, I see it has an Onboard M.2 4X slot, a addon card for another M.2 4X, and 2 NVME U.2 ports.

What the hell are the U.2 ports for? Are they some sort of next step from SATA since it seems to connect to standard looking 2.5" SDD's with a funky wide connector?

Also does anyone know if you can RAID those 2 M.2's (or U.2's) for SnG?