Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I'm going to have to ask for a spoiler because I'm one of Those People who get really disturbed by animals and pets and such being hurt, and Fran Bow looks really interesting and I may check it out. Is the cat okay/does anything horrible happen to it/etc?

Nothing bad happens to the cat BUT at one point you have to kill another creature (this pig-beetle thing) to get at something inside of it. There's more than a few animal carcasses in some of the nightmare scenes too, so it definitely tries to play on that kind of unease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Too Shy Guy posted:

Nothing bad happens to the cat BUT at one point you have to kill another creature (this pig-beetle thing) to get at something inside of it. There's more than a few animal carcasses in some of the nightmare scenes too, so it definitely tries to play on that kind of unease.
Well there is also the dead cat in Fran's parents grave that may or may not be Mr. Midnight. I'm with the latter camp though because the game makes much more sense and is stronger thematically if everything is real and Fran actually has dimensional powers. (It's why the asylum director wants her so bad and would also be a big enough reason for Aunt Grace to betray her family.)

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

I really enjoyed Fran Bow for what it was, but I was disappointed with the ending, they decided to take the lazy way out storytelling wise and keep the entire game completely ambiguous a la Pan's Labyrinth. Still a solid horror themed point and click adventure game otherwise!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I really enjoyed Fran Bow and I'd like for more people to play it, even if only so there are more people trying to make sense of the ending.

Also, episode 4, the cat in the grave is Mr. Midnight, in my opinion, but his spirit is still serving as a guide to Fran due to her extra-dimensional travel, it is why he is called a betrayer by Aunt Grace.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 13, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Poulpe posted:

I really enjoyed Fran Bow for what it was, but I was disappointed with the ending, they decided to take the lazy way out storytelling wise and keep the entire game completely ambiguous a la Pan's Labyrinth. Still a solid horror themed point and click adventure game otherwise!

Ive never seen the ambiguity is Pans Labyrinth. The movie ends with the dead tree sprouting a flower. Plus there's GDT saying things like

quote:

The movie is like a Rorschach test where, if you view it and you don't believe, you'll view the movie as, "Oh, it was all in her head." If you view it as a believer, you'll see clearly where I stand, which is it is real. My last image in the movie is an objective little white flower blooming in a dead tree with the bug watching it.

:goonsay:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Okay, I can deal with that. The spider bit in Limbo was fine for me (well, in that way I mean, it was still "omg no no spiders stop no") but not so much bad things happening to pet kitties.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
The Friday the 13th game is being delayed to incorporate a single player mode estimated release is early 2017 😵

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

Ive never seen the ambiguity is Pans Labyrinth. The movie ends with the dead tree sprouting a flower. Plus there's GDT saying things like

:goonsay:
Fran Bow is the same way really. Like the stuff I already mentioned as well as Fran knowing about the one Doctor's past because there was no way she could have known that without being able to see the shadows that feast on people's despair. The Doctor even says that she shouldn't be able to know that.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I didn't spend much time analyzing Fran Bow's story, but from just a surface reading I didn't think it was ambiguous at all that she's not crazy and these things are really happening. That's one thing I really appreciated about it, that it wasn't the same "it's all in your heaaaaaaaad" crutch that so many indie horror games lean on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I went over the whole thing with some people in my Fran Bow LP and it seems like most people agreed that there are too many things in the the story that strictly require magical stuff going on to still happen from straight delusion. That being said, the implications of the ending are still very open and kind of dumb for their ambiguity.

It is a very solid horror-adventure game though, highly recommended.

Gaz2k21 posted:

The Friday the 13th game is being delayed to incorporate a single player mode estimated release is early 2017 😵

So... same game as multiplayer just with bots, I assume.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I didn't spend much time analyzing Fran Bow's story, but from just a surface reading I didn't think it was ambiguous at all that she's not crazy and these things are really happening. That's one thing I really appreciated about it, that it wasn't the same "it's all in your heaaaaaaaad" crutch that so many indie horror games lean on.

I think one of the only horror games to really, really do 'it's all in your heeeeeead' well was Rule of Rose. Good god, Rule of Rose.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I went over the whole thing with some people in my Fran Bow LP and it seems like most people agreed that there are too many things in the the story that strictly require magical stuff going on to still happen from straight delusion. That being said, the implications of the ending are still very open and kind of dumb for their ambiguity.

It is a very solid horror-adventure game though, highly recommended.

So... same game as multiplayer just with bots, I assume.

I would totally be OK with this. Sure the multiplayer is going to be fun but I think being given the chance to just run wild solo as Jason could be really fun and basically what everyone is going to do.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

I think one of the only horror games to really, really do 'it's all in your heeeeeead' well was Rule of Rose. Good god, Rule of Rose.
Hell yeah it did.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Gaz2k21 posted:

With this, doesn't this mean basically every high profile horror release is NOT coming out this October? At this rate I'm honestly wracking my brain trying to think of a horror title that is being marketed to come out during the horror season. Between this and the way this month is looking with film releases, it looks like it's going to be a very retrospective October.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Bert of the Forest posted:

With this, doesn't this mean basically every high profile horror release is NOT coming out this October? At this rate I'm honestly wracking my brain trying to think of a horror title that is being marketed to come out during the horror season. Between this and the way this month is looking with film releases, it looks like it's going to be a very retrospective October.

I flipped through the upcoming releases on Steam and yeah, nothing. Plenty of dubious indie titles, of course, but Through the Woods was the only one that looked at all promising.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

I suppose it could be called above indie since it's made by Nippon Ichi but they're releasing a fairly interesting horror game that originally came out on the Vita in October around Halloween: http://store.steampowered.com/app/477870

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FYI there are two Friday 13th occurrences in 2017, one in January and the other... wait for it... October :spooky:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Gaz2k21 posted:

al-azad posted:

FYI there are two Friday 13th occurrences in 2017, one in January and the other... wait for it... October :spooky:

Now I understand everything.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I would like FranBow if it didn't get so... weird and wacky.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I would like FranBow if I didn't feel like every one of her lines should be voiced by Pepper Ann.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Halloween DLC for Dead by Daylight is coming out on Halloween. Meaning that Michael Myers will be in a horror game of the same genre half a year or so before Jason.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

joylessdivision posted:

I would totally be OK with this. Sure the multiplayer is going to be fun but I think being given the chance to just run wild solo as Jason could be really fun and basically what everyone is going to do.

Same with Dead by Daylight. Why would I ever want to play as a survivor? :black101:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

Same with Dead by Daylight. Why would I ever want to play as a survivor? :black101:

I'm sure the survivors are fun......who am I kidding, they have New Blood Jason in the game, I'm going to have him murdering teens all day.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

This one isn't horror per se, but it has an ominous and sometimes nightmarish atmosphere that always made me file it away with my other spooky games.

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate
3. Miasmata
4. SOMA
5. Haunt the House: Terrortown
6. Oxenfree
7. Vlad the Impaler
8. Condemned: Criminal Origins
9. The Last Door: Season 2
10. Shadowgrounds
11. The Last NightMary
12. Kholat
13. Fran Bow

14. TRAUMA

TRAUMA is very much an arthouse game, and as vague as that is it should tell you right away if you'll have the patience for it. There's no deep gameplay or clear story to be found here, just a lot of clicking and speculation. This is by no means a bad thing, as I will expand upon, but its not going to be for everyone.

The title refers to the car accident and subsequent hospitalization of the main character, a terribly disaffected European woman. You'll be playing through her dreams as she lies in her hospital bed, mulling over the choices she's made in life. The game is divided into four dreams, each presented as a series of still photographs. Clicking on hotspots or gesturing with the mouse moves you from one photograph to the next, simulating movement through the celluloid environment. You've probably played something like it on a Flash site, where someone took a bunch of pictures of the alley next to their house and cobbled them into a 10-minute adventure game.

TRAUMA is a little more involved than that, thankfully. Each dream has a goal that must be accomplished using a special gesture learned in that dream. These gestures can also be used in other dreams to unlock alternate endings and paths. In addition to the goal and three alternate endings, each dream also contains nine photographs to find within the photographed world. Some of these give additional background on your character's life, some teach new gestures for moving around, and some give clues to the alternate endings. They can be tricky to find due to the wonky angles of some scenes, but getting all the endings for a dream unlocks a "photo sense" that gives you vague but useful feedback on how far away a photo is.

During your explorations, your character will narrate what you see in her best deadpan Bjork voice. A lot of this is philosophical meandering like wondering if she's every really connected with anyone, but it makes a good backdrop for your actual meandering. The environments are also more than just photo club art projects, with some limited CG added for dreamlike features. Overall it's the atmosphere of TRAUMA that most appeals to me, the combination of quiet, unaffected musing with a journey through familiar scenes made alien by the way they are chopped into stills. The audio does a lot to prop up this feeling, with understated sound effects and a low minimalist soundtrack that's just the right amount of menacing.

Despite the appeal, I still have some bones to pick with the design. Like with any photographic adventure game, some of the connections between scenes don't make a whole lot of sense. Some clicks will tilt your head a little, others will send you into the next zip code. The fourth dream in particular has a layout that is sure to aggravate, with multiple transitions that could only be accomplished with teleportation. And don't expect any sort of explicit resolution or pathos to the story, because you're either going to get a total non-ending or a slightly cryptic non-ending, depending on if you find all the photographs.

If you've read this far and are still with me, TRAUMA is probably a game that will hold your interest. There's only an hour or so of exploration total, but it nails that dreamworld feel that so many games shoot for and miss. And if you do dive into it, maybe you can extract more from the story than I could. I appreciate unique experiences in games, and while TRAUMA might not be groundbreaking or even deep in its gameplay, there's enough to see and feel to make it a worthwhile experience.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Have you guys tried Thumper?

It's kind of like Audiosurf except you play as a bug instead of a spaceship, and instead of importing your own tracks it's got this ambient, industrial soundtrack. Not sure if it counts as a horror game, but it's got a fantastic score and an oppressive atmosphere. And also a giant skull.

Steam link

Gameplay vid of me trying it

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Thumper is a bit freaky, so it might make for a good horror game. It's also drat hard - expect to tilt.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'll always have a soft spot for this game, it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect, and your review summarizes it perfectly. It's implemented really well though, the alien shootery somehow doesn't get old, there are enough upgrades and variants on the enemies and situations to keep it interesting. It's also a game with a bit of exploration and flow to the progress, you have to make your way through the different maps in a way that doesn't feel at all linear, rather than the unfortunate sequel Shadowgrounds: Survivor which just did the shuttle you along through series of rooms that lock and spawn waves of enemies at you.

I always meant to play more top down shooters, but never got to try out many, and they seem kind of quaint today. I didn't regret this one at all though.

Shadowgrounds really is a good game and I've played through it a few times. Always enjoy it, solid game. Shame about Survivor though, could have been so much better. Still not terrible but definitely weaker than the original.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The more important thing is that Tommy Jarvis is now going to be playable in the Friday the 13th game. It can now be an objectively terrible game and still be the best game ever

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

The more important thing is that Tommy Jarvis is now going to be playable in the Friday the 13th game. It can now be an objectively terrible game and still be the best game ever

Special effects wiz kid Jarvis, ninja psych ward Jarvis, or Ultimate Horror Movie Hero Jarvis? Eh, any of them will be awesome.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hot Tommy Jarvis bunnyhopping speedrun strats.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I started playing through dark souls 1 and also bloodborne again recently, and I had forgotten just how oppressive dark souls 1 is. Horror on a grand scale

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

My old computer has been dying for a few weeks so I spent the last three days assembling a new one. Since I always come prepared to these things, I'm going to post two reviews today to make up for the one I missed yesterday.

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate
3. Miasmata
4. SOMA
5. Haunt the House: Terrortown
6. Oxenfree
7. Vlad the Impaler
8. Condemned: Criminal Origins
9. The Last Door: Season 2
10. Shadowgrounds
11. The Last NightMary
12. Kholat
13. Fran Bow
14. TRAUMA

15. Alan Wake

A third-person horror game at a time when Silent Hill was faltering and Resident Evil was turning into its ridiculous movies got a lot of people excited. Alan Wake had a lot to live up to, and it's hard to say it didn't deliver. While it's not a perfect fit amidst that pantheon of horror, it does enough right to be listed as a classic of the genre. And that's not even considering its technical achievement of being one of the best console ports in history.

You take on the role of Alan Wake, a successful novelist who has retreated to the remote mountain town of Bright Falls to recover from a nasty bout of writer's block. Bright Falls is one of those eclectic American towns of myth, where throwback diners and curious old ladies and traditions like DEERFEST mask a deep darkness lurking below. That darkness seizes Alan's wife Alice in a pretty intense haunted house sequence, and sets in motion his journey across backwoods Americana to uncover the truth.

Right up front I want to give special attention to the story and the writing, because it's one of the few games (or pieces of media, really) that lifts from sources like Twin Peaks and Stephen King while still maintaining its own voice. Weak story or writing could sink a game like this, but Alan Wake's colorful cast of characters come alive with solid voice acting, meaningful interactions, and some absolutely endearing personalities. Take Barry for example, Alan's weaselly agent who ends up trying his hardest to battle evil while wrapped in Xmas lights and carting a cardboard stand-up of Alan.

This also extends to Alan himself in a big way. He narrates the entire game in a style wonderfully reminiscent of Stephen King, pulling out anecdotes and metaphors at every turn, but with an earnest gravity to the proceedings. As you progress you'll find pages of a manuscript that bear more than a passing resemblance to the events you experience, and these are cleverly written to contain several surprises and twists. The story itself does an excellent job toeing the line between actual evil and insanity, and winds to an interesting and well-earned conclusion that satisfies while leaving some loose ends to muse on.

A good story can't save bad gameplay, but Alan Wake delivers here as well, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the narrative. Your enemies throughout the game are wreathed in darkness that renders them invincible. Armed with both guns and a flashlight, you dispatch these foes by burning off their darkness with the light, then gunning them down. It's a more engaging system than straight combat, supported by a variety of enemies large and small, and weapons that can help bring down tough groups or single opponents. There are other encounters, however, that depend entirely on your flashlight to combat and these can get pretty grating after awhile. You might also find yourself burning out on the combat a bit after hours of the same flashlight-to-gun chains.

Pacing is the only real strike against Alan Wake, but it's a big one. The first few hours of the game are spent in dark forests, running through thickets and clearings to the next abandoned building. It's nice and creepy at first but this lasts for hours, way longer than it has any reason to. Once you get back to town the pace picks up a bit and sees you battling through a better variety of locales, but you still might find yourself in each for a bit too long. I beat the game after 14 hours, and I think it would have been a tighter experience at 10 or so. I might as well say now that you shouldn't expect too much horror from Alan Wake either. The locales are plenty creepy but the game has a bad habit of setting up excellent surprises with its enemies, then spoiling them with forced cutscenes showing where they're coming from.

As long as those few missteps don't trip you up, Alan Wake is a fantastic experience. The story is clever and engaging, the combat is smooth and responsive, and the whole thing looks great even years out from release. Remedy somehow assembled a near-perfect port, from flawless graphics options all the way down to comfortable keyboard/mouse controls. You're sure to be impressed on the technical side, and there's plenty to keep you going as you unravel the plot. Alan Wake has become a classic for me, polished and competent enough to stand among Silent Hills and Resident Evils for action and spooks alike.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really can't say enough good things about Alan Wake. It's the closest we'll ever get to Stephen King: The Video Game. And I can guarantee it's the only videogame that will ever have a soundtrack with Poets of the Fall, Nick Cave, and Roy Orbison.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The only thing I really didn't like about Alan Wake (have not played the other games in that series, just the first) was that you quickly realize combat is almost entirely inconsequential and you can just run past almost everything you encounter with ease. There was a section early on I could NOT get passed trying to fight everything because I thought it was required, then I read something on the Steam forum that just said to run past it. Yeah that applies to a huge majority of the fights in the game that aren't bosses/minibosses.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really want to see what Alan Wake would've looked like with infinite time and budget. The early design had you driving through the countryside and they made it sound like a high budget Deadly Premonition except fun to play.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

al-azad posted:

I really want to see what Alan Wake would've looked like with infinite time and budget. The early design had you driving through the countryside and they made it sound like a high budget Deadly Premonition except fun to play.

This almost sounds like you're saying that Deadly Premonition isn't fun to play! But we all know that's not true. Right?

Right? :toughguy:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RadicalR posted:

This almost sounds like you're saying that Deadly Premonition isn't fun to play! But we all know that's not true. Right?

Right? :toughguy:

it isn't, but thankfully the story owns

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Silly question but does anybody here know of any good video LPs of Eternal Darkness that show off everything and have voice commentary?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Looper posted:

it isn't, but thankfully the story owns

Sorry, I just want MS to make the drat game BC already. :smith:

Edit: ^ Good lord, man, pull up those pants. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

Silly question but does anybody here know of any good video LPs of Eternal Darkness that show off everything and have voice commentary?
Haven't watched it myself but the one in the archives seems to fit the bill.

http://lparchive.org/Eternal-Darkness-Sanitys-Requiem/