Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Made some kind of MiG-29 / SU-27 thing. Too long to be a MiG though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I will never understand the "new" tab on ckan, had 130 compatible mods, clicked refresh, nothing new in the tab, but if I check there's now 131 compatible mods.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Threw together a mothership with lander and probes to play with the new comnet. Forgot how tough it was to do interplanetary transfers without any mods in-game to help.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Platonicsolid posted:

Threw together a mothership with lander and probes to play with the new comnet. Forgot how tough it was to do interplanetary transfers without any mods in-game to help.

The game gives you all the tools you need including the debug menu to cheat yourself into another orbit.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

nimper posted:

The game gives you all the tools you need including the debug menu to cheat yourself into another orbit.

Yeah? Where? I find maneuver nodes very fiddly to do at planetary scale, and the web calculators are fine but I don't have timing or ejection angle.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Platonicsolid posted:

Yeah? Where? I find maneuver nodes very fiddly to do at planetary scale, and the web calculators are fine but I don't have timing or ejection angle.

You can gauge it by relative positions of the planets, though I only know how to do it with Mun and Minmas.

Get into and equatorial LKO. Go to map mode over Kerbins north pole. Zoom out so you can see Mun. When Mun is at 3oclock, put a maneuver node at 6oclock on your orbital path. Increase the prograde vector until Ap is at the distance of the Mun. Around here you should get an intercept.

Same can be done with Minmus, except you go when Minmus is at, uh 1h30oclock. Still with your node at 6oclock. Here you have to account for inclination as well, but this isn't hard.

I don't know the positions for the planets but I'm sure you can look it up.

Its stuff like this that I don't mind using mods for, namely Kerbal Alarm Clock.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
For Duna and Eve, I think you can eyeball a tangential relationship for a decent transfer. http://ksp.olex.biz/

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Handy map for transfers.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

In further KSP mod drama, Astronomer reappears after two years or so and accuses the SVE dev of stealing a whole bunch of his textures which are now apparently "All Rights Reserved unless otherwise explicitly stated.".

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/143288-113-1082-stock-visual-enhancements/&page=41#comment-2798790

The best(?) part is that, as Astronomer acknowledges in that very post, the license AVP was originally released under explicitly allows this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
e: this post wasn't worth making, ignore it.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 13, 2016

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
RoverDude do you use and/or endorse Ven's Stock Revamp and/or the Outer Planets Mod

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

wheels still hosed, can't make basic plane, 10/10

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

OwlFancier posted:

wheels still hosed, can't make basic plane, 10/10

I dunno, I managed to make a plane and land it on the island. Seems okay to me.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Playing around with a mothership and a battery of probes. While I can successfully control the probe from the mothership without an uplink all the way back to KSP (I'm around Jool), I can't transmit any sensor readings back to the ship. Seems to cut out a lot of cool disposable probe situations.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
That's interesting. Is there an error or status message?

EDIT: Actually that's probably intended behavior, transmit only sends data back to KSC. Maybe if you had a science container on the mothership it should let you at least send it that far.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Count Roland posted:

You can gauge it by relative positions of the planets, though I only know how to do it with Mun and Minmas.

ManicJason posted:

For Duna and Eve, I think you can eyeball a tangential relationship for a decent transfer. http://ksp.olex.biz/

Ah, yes, let me just get my sextant and hold it up against my screen...

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hremsfeld posted:

Ah, yes, let me just get my sextant and hold it up against my screen...

If you are off by a bit, it is only a bit more delta-v. Not really an issue. Adjust your maneuver node such that you are leaving parallel to Kerbin's orbit, get an encounter, fine tune about halfway to Duna. Win.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

goose willis posted:

RoverDude do you use and/or endorse Ven's Stock Revamp and/or the Outer Planets Mod

I've only used OPM and that I do endorse :) Can't speak to Ven's tbh

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I think my ckan might be derping, has problems showing mods whose thread says it's on ckan. That and random crashing when updating and acting like it actually updated the mod is kinda getting on my nerves a bit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

comaerror posted:

I can't make one that doesn't just flail all over when the wheels are in contact with the ground, no stress on wheels and mounted perfectly on the hull.

Had this problem since they moved to the new wheel code and haven't played the game since as a result.

e: seriously now even if I put them at the far ends of the loving wings so it can't tip over the loving thing spins out before it takes off on perfectly flat ground. And on the offchance I can get it to go straight enough to take off the loving wheels explode the moment they touch the ground going 60m/s.

They released a lovely broken mess some patch ago and they haven't fixed it, I want the not poo poo version of KSP back.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 13, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

I can't make one that doesn't just flail all over when the wheels are in contact with the ground, no stress on wheels and mounted perfectly on the hull.

Had this problem since they moved to the new wheel code and haven't played the game since as a result.

e: seriously now even if I put them at the far ends of the loving wings so it can't tip over the loving thing spins out before it takes off on perfectly flat ground. And on the offchance I can get it to go straight enough to take off the loving wheels explode the moment they touch the ground going 60m/s.

They released a lovely broken mess some patch ago and they haven't fixed it, I want the not poo poo version of KSP back.

This sounds more like a damaged or incorrect file or some leftover/out of date files from a mod that's not compatible with the current release...?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I deleted the folder last update and I haven't installed any mods.

It's something to do with the new wheel code, they're shite, the previous wheels worked fine and I never had any problems with them or the same aircraft design until the new wheels.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

comaerror posted:

how do you ever land on that runway without using parachutes I will never know. It's just so short and bumpy and elevated from sea level

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

double nine posted:

how do you ever land on that runway without using parachutes I will never know. It's just so short and bumpy and elevated from sea level

Have a stall speed less than Mach 1.

OwlFancier posted:

I deleted the folder last update and I haven't installed any mods.

It's something to do with the new wheel code, they're shite, the previous wheels worked fine and I never had any problems with them or the same aircraft design until the new wheels.

Post pictures of what you usually try.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 14, 2016

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

double nine posted:

The air brake is amazing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Have a stall speed less than Mach 1.

Definitely this. If you can't fly level at 100 m/s then your landings are not going to go well. Bumpy landing strips are difficult though, especially if you aren't balanced well on your wheels.

Can't wait for Kerbal Engineer to update. I think it's the main thing I'm waiting on to jump back in. I'm going to start from scratch on a Science playthrough. I don't particularly enjoy managing money.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RoverDude, is there any chance of getting the USI Reactors split into their own mod? Having them in USI Core is kind of annoying if I just want ART and use Near Future Electrical for all my reactor needs.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

ToxicFrog posted:

RoverDude, is there any chance of getting the USI Reactors split into their own mod? Having them in USI Core is kind of annoying if I just want ART and use Near Future Electrical for all my reactor needs.

Seconding this, the reactors are very well-made and fit with a large variety of mods. I don't like the reactors from Near Future and would rather avoid using Near Future in general.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

comaerror posted:

If this is the right way to use landing gear I've been putting them on backwards my entire Kerbals career.

(I still managed to land on the island in the previous version though.)

(edit) It sucks that you can't unlock the island runway as an alternate takeoff spot or something. When I first got to the island, I figured it would unlock something.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 14, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Met posted:

I'm going to start from scratch on a Science playthrough. I don't particularly enjoy managing money.

You don't get missions on science mode. Screw it, playing career.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I still think they need to have a fourth game mode, like Challenge mode or something, where you only have missions and everything is unlocked and you do the missions to earn points towards a high score.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

scuba school sucks posted:

If this is the right way to use landing gear I've been putting them on backwards my entire Kerbals career.

I keep seeing posts like this and screenshots of the wheels backwards. Don't you people use landing lights?? They shine backwards when you have them the wrong way!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Met posted:

You don't get missions on science mode. Screw it, playing career.

You could do a custom difficulty where you crank the cash rewards up to 400% or whatever the max is, should be more than enough to almost never have to worry about budgets. Can also increase the starting cash a ton too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

goose willis posted:

Seconding this, the reactors are very well-made and fit with a large variety of mods. I don't like the reactors from Near Future and would rather avoid using Near Future in general.

Er? So just don't use Near Future. I have the opposite problem: I want to use the Near Future reactors, not the USI ones, but installing any USI mod requires installing the USI reactors, and then I end up with USI reactors using NF reactor mechanics or vice versa and it kind of doesn't work so well.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

My point was that we both agree he should have it as a separate mod

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Roflex posted:

You could do a custom difficulty where you crank the cash rewards up to 400% or whatever the max is, should be more than enough to almost never have to worry about budgets. Can also increase the starting cash a ton too.

Or do both and also install the Science Funding mod (hasn't been updated for 1.2 yet, also haven't tried it in 1.2 yet) - you receive funds and reputation for each science experiment that gets back to Kerbin, whether by transmission or recovery. It adds up fast enough (especially with increased funding rewards from contracts) to make cash not really be much of an issue.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

double nine posted:

build light, use a LOT of wing. also if you set up an action group to use some of your control surfaces as drooping flaperons, that can be a big help bringing your stall speed down in a lot of cases.

comaerror posted:

Eh... rover wheels are way better than they used to be in a lot of ways but wheels in general have got some issues post-1.1 that they didn't use to. Like go to your spaceplane hangar and build this vehicle, doesn't have to be exact, just close:

and just launch it and watch what it does. so if somebody's having no luck at all using the starter landing gear, then yeah i can believe that's largely the game's fault.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

guys, I can build planes that are stable at 70/80 m/s, it's not plane design that's the issue, it's pilot training - the approach, descent profile, and running out of runway before touchdown.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Sam Hall posted:

build light, use a LOT of wing. also if you set up an action group to use some of your control surfaces as drooping flaperons, that can be a big help bringing your stall speed down in a lot of cases.

Eh... rover wheels are way better than they used to be in a lot of ways but wheels in general have got some issues post-1.1 that they didn't use to. Like go to your spaceplane hangar and build this vehicle, doesn't have to be exact, just close:

and just launch it and watch what it does. so if somebody's having no luck at all using the starter landing gear, then yeah i can believe that's largely the game's fault.
Just to try it, I built this and it jumps around on the runway like if it's got hydraulics and some sick bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
https://gfycat.com/HarmoniousColossalHarrierhawk

Uhhh :jebstare: